Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Why are studios abandoning the 90 day window? 
Hold the door!

Post Why are studios abandoning the 90 day window?
How is it more profitable to shorten the theatrical window? Surely studios would make more profit keeping films off streaming platforms longer. Seems like the post Covid norm will be a 45 day window. Hoping they increase back to 90 days someday soon. It is gonna make box office tracking not nearly as fun.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:50 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Why are studios abandoning the 90 day window?
Streaming if sold enough makes a lot more money for studios specially when they own the service. BO Tracking would surely no longer be as fun but I can see a place where movies open bigger than usual once movie-going habits evolve and the overall atmosphere go back to normal.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm
Extraordinary

Basic economics.

Middleman for distribution -> Have to share revenue with theaters, Imax, 3D partners, etc. = More revenue

Marketing costs -> The Avengers Endgame marketing budget was $200M. At lot easier marketing for movies when you own the streaming platform (DisneyPlus). Shorter theatrical runs also reduce costs over a longer theatrical period. = Reduced costs

Piracy -> Shorter windows allow them to capture more revenue earlier. = More revenue

Those are what I expect are the big reasons. All $...

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Cuz I would think that regardless of how long the theatrical window was, like wouldn’t the same people that want to purchase or stream the movie do so? And if not and they make more by releasing to streaming earlier, why do they bother with the theatrical model at all?

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
Cuz I would think that regardless of how long the theatrical window was, like wouldn’t the same people that want to purchase or stream the movie do so? And if not and they make more by releasing to streaming earlier, why do they bother with the theatrical model at all?

Likely correct but much of the moviegoing audience still wants to see movies in theaters when things get back to normal.

I think the bigger driver is that talent (producers, directors, actors, etc.) have a lot of their compensation linked to theatrical releases, which also have prestige, buzz, red carpet, sponsorship opps, etc. One of the biggest things Hollywood lawyers are involved in now are re-negotiating contract terms related to theatrical (back end deals) and streaming revenue.

"Standard compensation packages for big stars are often tied to the box office performance of the films they star in. Any change to a movie’s availability and theatrical windowing may have a ripple effect on ticket sales."

See this for more https://observer.com/2021/05/a-quiet-place-2-john-krasinski-emily-blunt-salary-paramount/.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The $20 rental has changed everything unfortunately. It is going to let studios double dip and save money on advertising.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:43 am
Veteran

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Streaming if sold enough makes a lot more money for studios specially when they own the service. BO Tracking would surely no longer be as fun but I can see a place where movies open bigger than usual once movie-going habits evolve and the overall atmosphere go back to normal.

The NA boxoffice might start resembling China's boxoffice performance for Hollywood films, with way more frontloading and huge dropoffs as the rest of the target audience awaits the streaming debuts.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Indeed. $1b opening here we come :P

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:26 am
Veteran

Lol. Perhaps not at that scale. Not with 1/4th the population. :-)

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:27 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

lilmac wrote:
Lol. Perhaps not at that scale. Not with 1/4th the population. :-)

Well people will love a movie so much that they will watch that movie 4 times over weekend :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:24 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

O wrote:
Basic economics.

Middleman for distribution -> Have to share revenue with theaters, Imax, 3D partners, etc. = More revenue

Marketing costs -> The Avengers Endgame marketing budget was $200M. At lot easier marketing for movies when you own the streaming platform (DisneyPlus). Shorter theatrical runs also reduce costs over a longer theatrical period. = Reduced costs

Piracy -> Shorter windows allow them to capture more revenue earlier. = More revenue

Those are what I expect are the big reasons. All $...

Yes it's all about the money

Furthermore, studios make most (% vs. what theatres get) of their money early in a film's run. The latter weeks provide a larger slice of a smaller pie to theatres. It's all about the first 2-3 weeks for them.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:10 pm
Veteran

I wish we had more visibility into the streaming services' financial models, especially whether a major film available to stream does indeed boosts subscriptions. Of course there's value in retention and you need good product to retain customers. I saw somewhere that one of the reasons Netflix pays top dollar for feature films is that they want people's mindset to change from automatically equating major films with the movie theater to viewing Netflix as a go-to for feature films.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It would be great if we can get/track streaming numbers, that would be fun but unfortunately sparse numbers for top movies is all we can hope for at this point.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]