Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What's the highest grossing import of 2005 going to be? 
Extraordinary

Post What's the highest grossing import of 2005 going to be?
Please? I just simple must know what you guys think. :P

Kung-Fu Hustle? Holy Girl? The Russian Dolls (Tautau is a big factor here)?

Will Martial Arts reign supreme again?????

Last edited by dolcevita on Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:30 pm
Draughty

Oh it will probably some movie about Welsh villagers doing something publicly embarassing for a good cause. Is there one of those on tap this year?

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Okay I made it up!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Saw II. Is that considered an import?

Nah, I think only something actually shot in foreign language counts.

I'd guess Kung-Fu Hustle, but the year is young and there might be some surprises.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Actually, no, I completely forgot about Myazaki's latest. It could pull it off. Howl's Moving Castle, that is.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

On second thought, I think Howl's Moving Castle might take the cake. But even Spirited Away only made 10 million, and there's usually at least one foreign film that makes near 20.

Edit** We both thought of that one at the same time after you made that typo in your first post, otherwise, I would have never remembered it. Thanks for confusing Hustle and Castle.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:45 pm
Horror Hound

:)

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:00 am
Lover of Bacon

I think it will be between Howl's Moving Castle and Kung Fu Hustle. I hope it will be Moving Castle as i'm looking forward to that more.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:46 pm
Commander and Chef

hwy is Bale credited for Howl's moving castle?

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I think Howl's Moving Castle and High Tension have the best change. Kung Fu Hustle will flop, and the trailers look like shit.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

hwy is Bale credited for Howl's moving castle?

He's probably is the main characters voice in the dubbing. interesting fact, I believe Anna Paquin actually did the voice for the main boy, Ray, in Steamboy. That underperformed considering the director/animation studio did Akira, which has a huge following here. I don't know what Steamboy is at right now, but it's clearly out of the running. Surprisingly weak year for foreign films, it looks like the number one is going to gross less than at least third or fourth did in 2004. Geisha stole attention, even though its not technically a foreign movie.

So its between Howl's, Kung-fu, and High Tension? Where's high tension from? I've never heard of it. Where the hell did Europe go? Fell off the face of the planet?

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:44 pm
Draughty

I'll go with Kung Fu Hustle. It is 1) funny 2) fresh 3) put out by a company Sony that has had several successes this year in marketing movies towards an urban and black audience and martial arts are really popular in those communities. Plus it's the only foreign movie that I've seen an ad for in the last 2 years that I really want to see, it simply looks very entertaining.

Lecter is right that the year is still young and the unexpected can happen but that is my pick.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Definitely not "The holy girl". Far too arty.

I´d say something we don´t know about yet - and probably to be released at Cannes... High tension has a chance, but being subtitled... I don´t know.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Here is some of the possible Cannes films: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6648.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'd go with Kung-Fu Hustle. If that fails, then High Tension (unless there's something else big that none of us know about at the end of the year, but I doubt it)

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:46 pm
You must have big rats

Edit** We both thought of that one at the same time after you made that typo in your first post, otherwise, I would have never remembered it. Thanks for confusing Hustle and Castle.

Great typos think alike :lol:

I am not sure about High Tension, but I am pretty upset that the studio cut the movie for release.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, just read mansonmyers thread in cinemania about High Tension, and I have to say no way in hell will it be the number one grosser. Not because it might not be good, but its horror. Maybe we'll see horror fans strike down the door of the subtitling world, but its not going to get the same pull, especially with all the apparently good hollywood horror coming out.

I have to say, I have a feeling it might go to Hustle and that leaves me with two dissappointments. Not that it might not be good, I'm going to try and see it soon to get a review in, and critics are liking it so far, but that its so early in the year. Seems odd for the highest grossing import to be wrapping up its run by July. Nothing to look forward to, especially before the Oscars.

The other reason is that even if its well loved and pretty popular, I don't see it breaking 15 million. That's a really low year for imports, where the highest one peaks at 15 million. Passion was 300 million, now admittedly, that's weird, and for my own sanity, i discount that, but even after that, Hero made 53 million, Motorcycle made nearly 17 million, MOFD made 11 million, and a Very Long Engagement made 6 million.

This is looking like a year with one 12-15 million movie and one 7-8 million (Howl's). Eh, looks skimpy. There must be something getting released in October or later that is going to grab a bit of attention. i just can't figure out which movie it is.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:21 am
You must have big rats

Call me an overpredictor, but I don't see Howl's Moving Castle making any less than $15 million. The first one was dumped by the studio and recovered too late once the Oscar praise came. I hope this one will be marketed well and receive a fairlywide release right away.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, well SPirited Away pulled in only 10 million considering how big an upset in the awards it was. Its generated tons of WOM since then, and probably had massively high rental and dvd purchase. Disproportionately high for a 10 million box office grosser. I wonder if there is some way of checking that?

The way I see it, especially with Steamboy having not done that well (too bad, anyone that can should check it out for a good time), it will either gross dissappointingly lower than SPirited Away, or maybe you're right. I can't tell if the massive influx of anime into the American market and the huge 3d pixar pics are going to water this one down. SPirited Away was, for many people, the first anime they ever saw. Now they might not be knocking down the front doors opening weekend anymore. But if one director's name can do it, it'll be Miyazaki's. I still don't think Howl's will break 10 million. But I don't know what Hustle will do either. I need to see what opening weekend BO on Hustle is before I decide if it'll take the number one spot.

Dead market this year. :???:

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:57 am
Forum General

Just to let you guys know, HIGH TENSION is dubbed, not subtitled for the US version.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:18 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc ... large.html

Night Watch is the biggest movie of all time in Russia currently and the trailer makes it out to be a pretty good fantasy actioner with quite a couple of money shots. I think it can gross quite a sum in the States if marketed well.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Gah!!!! I can't watch these apple trailers on my comp. I'm missing some of the software and when I go to download it, I can't because my operating platform is too old (yes, this is an old laptop...I'm getting a newer one soon).

I saw the poster, looks like another horror movie. Is it? if so, it won't do any better than High Tension. I just don't see foreign horror breaking into the big numbers here. it didn't work with I'm Not Scared last year, and if there is one market Americans trust with horror its the Italians. If its an action movie, maybe it has better chances. It might break 5 million, but remember, even Engagement, which was a drama with the most famous French actress today only got 6 million.

Gah, I want to know more about this movie. I haven't seen much in the way of Russian flicks, and have no idea how well they're been received here in the Box Office. I think Russian Arc (which is the last one I saw) only made about 3 million, but it was a very different movie. Still, it had its pull here, being the longest uneditted shot, and having the entire caste of hundreds (thousands?).

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:40 am
You must have big rats

Gah!!!! I can't watch these apple trailers on my comp. I'm missing some of the software and when I go to download it, I can't because my operating platform is too old (yes, this is an old laptop...I'm getting a newer one soon).

I saw the poster, looks like another horror movie. Is it? if so, it won't do any better than High Tension. I just don't see foreign horror breaking into the big numbers here. it didn't work with I'm Not Scared last year, and if there is one market Americans trust with horror its the Italians. If its an action movie, maybe it has better chances. It might break 5 million, but remember, even Engagement, which was a drama with the most famous French actress today only got 6 million.

Gah, I want to know more about this movie. I haven't seen much in the way of Russian flicks, and have no idea how well they're been received here in the Box Office. I think Russian Arc (which is the last one I saw) only made about 3 million, but it was a very different movie. Still, it had its pull here, being the longest uneditted shot, and having the entire caste of hundreds (thousands?).

It's as much of a horror flick as Underworld and Blade are. It's horror action with eye candy visual effects. Moreover it is distributed by Fox Serachlight which has a decent record actually.

I have no clue about the reception of Russian flicks at the US box-office, but I doubt it has been too warm. As for A Very Long Engagement, the distributor simply messed up the release pattern of the movie, something that has been done to many movies last year. I think it had the full potential to make $10+ million.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next