Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Crowd Reports (October 21st-23rd) 
Wallflower

Post Crowd Reports (October 21st-23rd)
Seeing Paranormal Activity at 10:00 tonight! So excited! Anyone else going to one of the showings tonight?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:12 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Crowd Reports (October 21st-23rd)
In a dark and misty house,
Where no Christian man has been,
Wicked Annabella mixes a brew
That no one's ever seen.

Relatives have passed her by,
Too scared to even say hello.
She's in perpetual midnight,
She shuts out the day,
And goes about her sinful ways.

I, I've seen her hair, I've seen her face,
Look towards mine.
I, I've felt her eyes burning my soul,
Twisting my mind.

Little children who are good
Should always go to sleep at night,
'Cause Wicked Annabella is up in the sky
Hopin' they will open their eyes.

Don't go into the woods tonight,
'Cause underneath the sticks and stones
Are lots of little demons enslaved by Annabella
Waiting just to carry you home

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:49 pm
Wallflower

Oops, I forgot to do a song :P.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm
Forum General

PA3 just had it's first midnight sellout here in Houston, Texas.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 pm
Extraordinary

Breaking news: PA3 is slightly more packed than The Thing was last week.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 pm
King Albert!

Several theaters in my area (including the Block, Gardenwalk, and Norwalk) have sold out the 10 pm show. Even more theaters have already sold out one of their midnight shows. The Block sold out 2 of the midnights already.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

10 p.m. PA3 was 85% full in a 250-seater. Walking out, I saw that two midnights were sold out in the 500-seaters, and there were tons of people all around.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 am
Wallflower

PA3 is definitely opening bigger than the second, IMO. Last night was insane. I called the theater at 8:00 while we were on our way and the 10:00 had already sold out. Thankfully they'd just added a 10:30 and he said there were plenty of tickets for it still available. We got there and the 10:30 had sold out too. So they added a 10:45 (would have been crazy not to as the lines were crazy yet and I heard a lot of people saying they thought it was at midnight). The 10:45 sold out as well but not before we got tickets. The theater was crazy. I hadn't seen anything like it before. When our showing was close to starting one of the managers came in and explained that there would be a small 5-10 minute delay before it started as they had to download the movie or something and that they'd sold out four showings. Last year when I saw Paranormal Activity 2 only one sold out.

Sadly we didn't get any trailers but maybe that's because it was just an added on showing and they figured with the delay already they'd just play the movie. Too bad as I was hoping to catch the trailer for The Devil Inside.

The movie was great but I think it's my least favorite of them, personally. The others I'd give an A- and this is a B+. May change my mind when I see it again. It's definitely very well done though and has some intense moments, though less than I expected. The last 15 minutes won't 'mess you up for life' like the ads promise unless you've never seen a horror movie and you scare rather easily, but I was definitely on edge. Not like I honestly expected I would get messed up for life, but I wanted a little more. I thought the finale was a little too short.

Anyway, I'm probably in the minority in liking this one the least (though it's still a very worthy sequel) as on the way out the only comments I heard were that it was the scariest and best one yet. Didn't hear anything bad on the way out.

Expect some big midnight numbers for this. Possibly a new midnight record for an R-Rated movie.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:44 am
Forum General

Depends on how they report the numbers. Usually pre midnight shows count as Thursday gross, not midnight...

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Notfabio reports that PA3 did about 50% better in midnights over PA2 at his theater.

This could be more frontloaded than any of the twilight or harry potter films, which is insane.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:56 am
Waitress in LA

I'm not so sure.

For adults like me, I've thoroughly enjoyed both previous installments in this series. But I have zero intention of seeing it in the first 48 hours. I know the second weekend of last year's dropped about 60 percent, but still, if the word of mouth is positive, I don't see why this won't hold okay until the 31st.

As for part 2's opening weekend, it went something like this:

Friday (Including midnights): 20
Sat/Sun (balance of w/end): 20

Total Opening Weekend: 40

If the box office follow this pattern for this one, it might flirt with 50.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:52 pm
Wallflower

And that had competition from the new Saw, so I think Paranormal 3 will hold slightly better.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:08 pm
Pure Phase

A horror movie called Retreat starring Cillian Murphy, Thandie Newton, and Jamie Bell randomly opened on a single screen at a theatre a friend of mine goes to in Corpus Christi, TX. Did it open at anyone here's local theatres? Incredibly low-profile... Nowhere to be found in D.C.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:42 am
Wallflower

Nowhere around here. Did you go to the movies tonight?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 am
Forum General

So I just came from a 9:25 showing of PA3 and the theatre was pretty much a mad house. It looked like there was actually more people there than when I saw Transformers 3 in the summer. The lines were insanely long and unfortunately for me we had to wait a good 20 minutes in order to get tickets in which I also got some nasty misquito bites along the way.

That being said the auditorium was pretty much sold out and when we came out the line for the next showing stretched all the way to the other side of the theatre.

Now as for the movie itself I'm suprised to say that I actually loved it. Like most people it's definitly my favorite one in the series so far. Oh! and this time it was pretty damn scary too. The audience I was with had a blast with it too and there was even some clapping at the end. Also as for trailers the only one even worth mentioning is The Devil Inside which went over like gangbusters. Seriously it was a genius idea for Paramount to attach that trailer to this film. Also if I had to rate the movie I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:53 am
Wallflower

I was so disappointed we didn't get any trailers last night. I'm sure the 10:00 showing did but since ours was an added showing I'm guessing that's why. I'll find out when I see it again tomorrow night if there are trailers attached. Can't see why there wouldn't be. Really want to see the trailer for The Devil Inside and would rather wait to see it with an audience than online. I bet the movie will be a good-sized hit with the trailer being attached to this. I've heard it has gotten great reactions.

Can you remember any of the other trailers you got?

I have to say I'm almost surprised the midnights weren't even higher given how insane it was at my theater last night.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:29 am
Forum General

Well I'm actually trying hard to remember, but there were also trailers for Rum Diary, Young Adult, Tower Heist and a random uncut trailer for Wrong Turn 4 which got some interesting reactions. I don't know why, but I really wanted to see the trailer for The Avengers on the bigscreen. It would have been perfect, but obviously something didn't work out in the marketing department.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:52 am
Wallflower

My theater is showing that trailer for Wrong Turn 4 before every "R" movie. I saw it before What's Your Number? too. Last night it actually seemed to get some interest. There were some "I want to see that" comments.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Mike wrote:
My theater is showing that trailer for Wrong Turn 4 before every "R" movie. I saw it before What's Your Number? too. Last night it actually seemed to get some interest. There were some "I want to see that" comments.

There advertising a Direct To DVD movie??? The Best WRONG TURN movie was the 2nd one.. They should've stopped after that one..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

The studio obviously bought advertising from them. I think it's kind of cool actually.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am
Forum General

When I saw PA3 at midnight, The Devil Inside was the first trailer and I've never seen a crowd reaction like it ever. There was screaming throughout the entire trailer and at the end, there was a HUGE round of applause that went into the next trailer. People couldn't stop talking about it. If it was attached with most prints of PA3, this thing will be huge.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

When I saw it on Saturday it was attached. It will definitely do well. 80 Million could be possible. At least 60 Million.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]