Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2010); Feb. 27-28
So do you think any of this weekend's releases wil unseat Avatar at last?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

There's a good chance Doraemon The Movie: Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King will be No.1. The last three films opened to an avg. of $4.3m this weekend the past three years. And this movie marks the 40th anniversary of the series.

There is also Liar Game The Movie: The Final Stage. It's been popular on Eiga for a while now, manga sales are good, and the tv drama is popular. And it'll help it's apparently an end fo either a season or story.

So both, Doraemon is probably a sure thing, are probably likely to be No.1 and No.2 this weekend.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The weekend of April 17-18th has just become incredibly competitive and crowded.

Before today, both Alice in Wonderland and Nodame Cantabile Final Score II were scheduled to open which already provided the weekend with two big openers, but now, the new Detective Conan film and Crayon Shin-chan film will open. The second/third weekend of April always typically sees a new Detective Conan and Crayon Shin-chan, but it's official again this year.

Nodame Cantabile Final Score I opened to $4.5m last December and grossed $45m. The sequel, as expected, is receiving a lot of buzz and will do very well as it concludes the movie series. Golden Week will surely give it a boost, too.

Alice in Wonderland is also receiving a lot of buzz. The best comparison for it would probably be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which opened in September 05 to $4.3m and grossed about $45m. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory actually didn't get a very wide release for a Hollywood film (half what most normally get), so taking that into consideration, 3D, and Golden Week during it's third week/weekend, Alice in Wonderland is likely to outperform Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Detective Conan: The Lost Ship in The Sky is the 14th film in the long running manga (67 volumes) / anime (565 episodes and counting). Last years film ended up being the highest grossing film for the series, opening to $6m and finishing with $36m.

Crayon Shin-chan: Chō Jikū! Arashi o Yobu Ora no Hanayome is the 18th film in the even longer running manga (49 volumes, think it's finished though) / anime (685 episodes and counting), and while it's much smaller when compared to the films above, they consistently open around $2.5m and finish close to $15m. However, this will be the first since the creator passed away late last year, which could effect it's box office.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2010); March 6-7th
Any idea how much Avatar and PJ have grossed so far in Japan?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

No, news practically dies on the weekend.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

March 6-7th, Top 7 Admission Rankings

1 - Doraemon: The 14th Movie - Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King 1
2 - Liar Game: The Movie - Final Stage 1

3 2 Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief 2
4 1 Avatar 11
5 - The Princess and the Frog 1
6 5 Younger Brother/About Her Brother 6
7 4 Saru Lock: The Movie 2

http://sparx.blog4.fc2.com/blog-entry-2628.html

The rest of the top 10 will be available tomorrow.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It'll probably be above Percy Jackson in $ again, though...

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It is in actual admissions, also.

March 6-7, 2010 Admission Rankings:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

1 NEW Doraemon The Movie: Nobita's Mermaid Legend Toho 1
2 NEW Liar Game The Final Stage Toho 1

3 1 Avatar FOX 11
4 2 Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lighting Thief FOX 2
5 NEW The Princess and the Frog Disney 1
6 3 Oceans GAGA 7
7 4 Sarulock SDP/Showgate 2
8 5 About Her Brother Shochiku 6
9 NEW The Hurt Locker Broadmedia Studio 1
10 7 Sergeant Keroro - The Super Duper Movie - Adventure In Space - Time Island Kadokawa 2

___________________________________________________________________________________

As expected, Doraemon wins the first weekend of March once again (has been for years now). And Liar Game The Final Stage also looks to have opened very well like signs were suggesting.

Avatar is finally dethroned with bigger films beginning to open (more this coming weekend, update below), no numbers yet, but I'll be checking often.

I think Princess and the Frog saw a good debut despite it's No.5 ranking. I doubt Disney gave it a very wide release.

Oceans and Younger Brother keep holding in there.

The Hurt Locker had been receiving a good bit of attention thanks to the award buzz, and now that's it won Best Picture, it'll see a surge for a few weeks.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Next Week's Openers:

12th
Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

13th
Hana No Ato (2010)
I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)
Gamer (2009)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Live-Action, 2010)
Sweet Little Kisses (2010)

Sherlock Holmes and Hana No Ato will likely be the two biggest openers this coming weekend. Sherlock Holmes is receiving pretty good buzz, and the genre generally does pretty well. So a good opening is probably in store. And Hana No Ato, based on the popular novel, is from the creators of Love and Honor which grossed almost $40m in 2007.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

How much has percy done so far in Japan??

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't know what they did in dollar or yen yet. But Percy is probably around $8-8.5m, and should hit $20m which is very solid.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

ToyCorpse wrote:
Hana No Ato (2010)
I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)
Gamer (2009)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Live-Action, 2010)
Sweet Little Kisses (2010)

I can't wait to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Have you seen the animated adaptation of the book? It was released in 2008. It's very, very good, and ended up being my favorite film that year.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

YES!! :wub2:
The reason why i am looking forward to seeing it is because i love the animated one so much!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's truly an amazing film that everyone should give a shot (netflix it people reading).

In 2007 the Japan Academy Prize created a separate award for Best Animated Film (similar to when the Academy here did it in... 2001? I forget which year), and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was the first winner of that award.

2007 - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Arashi no Yoru Ni
Tales from Earthsea
Brave Story
Detective Conan: The Private Eyes' Requiem

2008 - Tekkon Kinkreet
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Summer Days with Coo
Piano no Mori
Detective Conan: Jolly Roger in the Deep Azure

2009 - Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend 2008
The Sky Crawlers
Detective Conan: Full Score of Fear
One Piece - The Movie: Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Sakura

2010 - Summer Wars
Detective Conan: The Raven Chaser
Doraemon: The New Record of Nobita: Spaceblazer
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror

Tekkon Kinkreet and Ponyo are both great, too.

And I hear Summer Wars is great (I've enjoyed the soundtract), so I'll need to see it as soon as I can. It's a Madhouse Studio Production (like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), and their best films are on par with Studio Ghibli. They release Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers) also.

Summer Wars

I can't wait to see it. :D

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Some numbers from this past weekend.

It seems that the latest Doraemon opened to 500myen or $5.5m or so on 366 screens, which would be around 50% higher than last year's film (though it was one of the lowest openers in the series).

Liar Game Final Stage looks to have opened a little above 300m yen or $3-3.5m on 283 screens.

No Avatar weekend number, but it does say it exceeded 13b yen. How much over 13b yen? Who knows, but 13b yen is about $144m, but it's total will be above that since it "exceeded" the mark. I expect $146/147m.

The Hurt Locker grossed between 450-500k on 46 screens. Which is a very good start and it'll be expanded for sure after it's Best Picture win. The news is overflowing about it.

Last edited by Corpse on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

ToyCorpse wrote:
Summer Wars

I can't wait to see it. :D

:roll: LOL
Clazziquai, The Korean group?
I love the part "We live in OZ"

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't know the group, but that video was supposedly used to promote the movie in Korea as well as a cell phone advertisement of some sort.

Here are the actuals for the top 2 this past weekend:

*Different sites use a slightly different exchange rate (BOM is usually a little different than Variety and THR for instance), but all are at least similar. So keep in mind the numbers in USD might differ just slightly tomorrow when Variety and THR update.

1. Doraemon: The 14th Movie - Nobita's Great Battle of the Mermaid King - Y553,483,650 ($6,164,620), 366 screens, 498,198 admissions, Toho 1
2. Liar Game Movie The Final Stage - Y392,017,910 ($4,366,238), 283 screens, 308,284 admissions, Toho 1

Huge for both films. The top 2 biggest opening weekends in 2010, excluding the December openings of One Piece Strong World ($11.7m), Up ($6.9m), Avatar ($6.6m 2day, $14.5m 5day), and Nodame Cantabile Part I ($4.5m) which all will be included in the 2010 year.

This will be the biggest opening for a Doraemon film, and if it receives a similar multiplier as the past few, it's going to gross near $40m with a good chance at the mark. That'd likely make it the biggest film in the series, too, but I'd have to make sure before stating that as fact.

Equally as impressive is Liar Game's opening. And if it receives a multiplier similar to some tv drama adaptations of the past few years, it's heading towards $30m or a little more. I don't see it getting a multiplier as high as Nodame Cantabile Part I last December since Liar Game is a concluding film.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

3. Avatar - $3,499,091 - -11.8% - $148,457,109
4. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief - $2,073,917 - -38.1% - $8,818,373
5. The Princess and the Frog - $1,036,715 - NEW - $1,036,715
6. Oceans - $628,389 - -37.2% - $24,956,937
7. Saru lock - $554,267 - -44.2% - $2,331,360
8. The Hurt Locker - $499,558 - NEW (47 theatres) - $499,558

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Oceans reminds me:

Was The Cove released in Japan?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:58 pm
You must have big rats

It is scheduled for a June 2010 release.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Good.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dr. Lecter wrote:
4. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief - $2,073,917 - -38.1% - $8,818,373

Ohh, where did you find this?

Edit, I see BOM updated.

Last edited by Corpse on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

ToyCorpse wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Ohh, where did you find this?

hmm doesn't seem like PJ will do 20 million in Japan.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It'll hit $20m without much trouble.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

After 11 weeks,

Spirited Away - $189.1m ($3.9m weekend)
Howl's Moving Castle - $163.4m ($2.5m weekend)
Avatar - $148.5m ($3.5m weekend)
Harry Potter 1 -$141.6m ($2.5m weekend)
Bayside Shakedown 2 - $140.5m ($1.2m weekend)
Harry Potter 2 - $135.3m ($1.5m weekend)
Ponyo - $134.9m ($1m weekend)
Titanic - $72.6m

Top 10 USD

Spoiler: show
1. Spirited Away - $234m
2. Titanic - $201.4m
3. Howl's Moving Castle - $190m
4. Ponyo on the Cliff - $172.2m
5. Princess Mononoke - $165.5m
6. Bayside Shakedown 2 - $164.5m
7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - $152.9m
8. Avatar - $148.5m
9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - $142.8m
10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - $121.6m

Top 10 Yen

Spoiler: show
1 Spirited Away ¥30.4b
2 Titanic ¥25.9b
3 Howl's Moving Castle ¥22b
4 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ¥20.3b
5 Princess Mononoke ¥19.3b
6 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ¥18b
7 Bayside Shakedown 2 ¥17.35b
8 Ponyo ¥15.5b
9 The Last Samurai ¥13.7b
10 Armageddon ¥13.5b / Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ¥13.5b

Avatar added approx. $7m for the week.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 952  Next