Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
The Dark Knight

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (09/18-19); Charts Update
Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
総集編でこの視聴率なら『無限列車編』は、15%を軽く超えそうだ。個人的に20%は、行って欲しいと思っている。
因みにTVで放送された映画作品歴代最高の『千と千尋の神隠し』の46.9%(瞬間最高視聴率52.3%)は、さすがに超えないと思うけど。
Ref= https://twitter.com/YukiNara12/status/1 ... 94214?s=19

Have we all forgotten about Spirited Away :sweat:

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:57 am
Wall-E

Expecting ratings like those of the early 2000s or prior is just pointless, TV isn't that popular anymore. It's still big, but AFAIK no anime has even hit 20% since 2014. 20% is still a reasonable goal, and one that I think it can reach, but stuff like 40% or above? It just isn't feasible anymore.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:31 am
The Dark Knight

Even Sazae-san barely scraps by 10% nowadays, and it's the biggest weekly anime series on television in Japan.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 am
The Dark Knight

JustLurking wrote:
Expecting ratings like those of the early 2000s or prior is just pointless, TV isn't that popular anymore. It's still big, but AFAIK no anime has even hit 20% since 2014. 20% is still a reasonable goal, and one that I think it can reach, but stuff like 40% or above? It just isn't feasible anymore.

I understand what you mean to say. Yet, it still hold true that Spirited Away TV ratings can neither be defeated nor no one can hold near 30%. From my expectation, Demon Slayer Mugen Train will surpassed 20% but somehow it may (might) knock doors at 25% or 30%. People are really hyped to see but the movie would not be broadcasting nationwide. In some prefactures, the film broadcast is delayed by 1,2 and more days like in Oita prefacture, where the film will broadcast on 9/26 13:55~16:35

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:29 am
The Dark Knight

Quote:
To my knowledge, Mugen Train isn't available on streaming in Japan. It was released on home video back in June, but I don't think it'll be available to stream until the end of the year/sometime in 2022. Someone correct me here if this is wrong. I just haven't seen Mugen Train anywhere I checked.

Amazon Prime Video
Italy: 16 July, 2021

Netflix Calender:
Taiwan: 17 July 2021
Hong Kong: 6 August 2021
South East Asia: 13 September 2021 [excluding SAARC region (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan)]

Funimation:
North America: 16 June 2021
Oceania: 17 June 2021
South America: 8 August 2021 (excluding Peru, Uruguay and Chile)
UK & Ireland: 16 August 2021

Viu:
South East Asia & Taiwan: 16 June 2021 [excluding SAARC region (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan)]

Billibilli
South East Asia & Taiwan: 16 June 2021 [excluding SAARC region (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan)]

IQiyi
South East Asia: 17 July, 2021 [excluding SAARC region (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Pakistan)]

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, I knew it was available for streaming outside of Japan. But it hasn't been made available to stream in Japan yet.

And I'll have to go look them up, but I'm pretty sure there are some TV dramas that have done over 20% in the past 5 years or so. Anime has declined a good bit, mostly because I think the audiences for the higher rated shows, like Sazae-san that rely on young children and families, are declining more and more each year with the population decline/aging population, but TV dramas/comedies are still pretty strong.

Doctor X averaged 21% back in 2016, peaking at 24.3%.
Aibou was doing 15-16% about every episode a couple years ago.
99.9: Criminal Lawyer had multiple episodes hit 18/19%, and it averaged over 17%.
3-nen A-gumi peaked at 15.4% in its finale in 2019.
Legal V Ex-Lawyer peaked at 18%, and averaged 15.6% in 2018 or 2019.

And I'm sure there are many other shows that averaged or peaked over 15/20% now included there. I may have even forgotten one that did well over 20%.

And just in general, most TV shows at the very least manage around 7/8% (5/6% is usually the absolute lowest), with many reaching 10-12% or so, and then a few in a year doing up towards that 15% mark or better. 20% isn't as common anymore, and is sort of the ceiling for most things, but it's still doable. But yeah, the 30/40% ratings that were doable in the 90s/00s is pretty much impossible (unless you're the Olympics), though some shows have approached 30% in the last 10 years with one or two, I think, peaking above it.

I mention these because Demon Slayer, while an anime, isn't being treated like an anime by audiences in Japan when a rebroadcast of a recap special of a season that's been on streaming for years is pulling in 14/15% ratings.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Fuji TV pissed off the audience today when adding too much advertisement and during wrong moments :funny: :funny:

For Season 2 there are two phrases:
Phase one starts on 10/10/2021: First original episode pre-Mugen Train Arc from Ufotable. The second to seventh will cover the Mugen Train Arc with some "extra scenes". Lisa is in charge of the opening song and ending song.
Phase two starts on 12/05/2021: Red Light District Arc begins. The first episode will be 1 hour long. Aimer will be in charge both opening and ending songs.

Currently, both official English and Japanese website of KNY got 504 error due to high traffic
You can check the information later

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:05 am
The Incredible Hulk

Very controversial choice, Mugen Train is basically number 1 WW film of 2020 and all time in Japan in every important measurements so why replay it again for 2 months? Just to sell a Mugen Train Blu-ray version of TV? But then again, ufotable is very specialized in milking a franchise to its last drop, and Demon Slayer is about to face the same "Fate".

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It was always a possibility they'd begin season two with at least one episode by recapping the Mugen Train movie, but the first half of the season being a re-edit of the movie is probably more than most excepted. And yes, this is definitely a strong indication they're going to keep this franchise alive for many years with similar methods.

This makes me wonder if they'll also produce a movie version of the Red Light District for 2022, either as the second half of the arc (basically acting as the "second cour") by picking up where the anime is going to leave off again, or by being an edit of the full arc itself if they cover it all on TV. Or maybe with each future film, they'll just dedicate the first half of each new season to re-edit the movies for TV anime format.

If they spend 2-3 years on one arc (turning them each into a mix of both TV anime and feature film versions), they could stretch out the remaining source material for up to 10-12 years of animation. If they just adapt the remaining material as it is, they'd probably finish it by ~2025 or so, so yeah... they'll be milking it A LOT to extend that time frame.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:30 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

That is not the case. When the theatrical release of "Mugen Train" Arc was decided back in mid-2019, many of the staff objected and it's release date (pandemic loss) makes many of them worried. Well, Recapping of the film was decided back in December 2020 as some chapters were still left out. Another important fact is that Ufotable were determined to dominate TV ratings so that manga sales and their outlet sales would remain stable. Although, raging anger of fans (outside Japan) were noticable, yet fans in Japan welcome the decision.

Important Updates:
1. In Overseas, Mugen Train + Entertainment District will broadcast in 90 countries around the world.
2. Recapping of "Mugen Train" Arc will have 7 episode.
→ 1st episode will be completely new
→ 2-7 episodes will include new cuts and additions.
3. Broadcasting will start one week earlier in Fuji TV than on other networks.

Some questions in my mind:
1. Is there any possibilities of getting censored in Overseas?
2. Possibilities of getting banned in Korea and Russia?
3. How will BilliBilli broadcast in China, since Mugen Train is yet to be released?

Quote:
And I'll have to go look them up, but I'm pretty sure there are some TV dramas that have done over 20% in the past 5 years or so. Anime has declined a good bit, mostly because I think the audiences for the higher rated shows, like Sazae-san that rely on young children and families, are declining more and more each year with the population decline/aging population, but TV dramas/comedies are still pretty strong.

Corpse, You can check this via this link → https://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/past_ ... st-15.html

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:00 pm
Aspiring Director

Corpse wrote:

Doctor X averaged 21% back in 2016, peaking at 24.3%.
Aibou was doing 15-16% about every episode a couple years ago.
99.9: Criminal Lawyer had multiple episodes hit 18/19%, and it averaged over 17%.
3-nen A-gumi peaked at 15.4% in its finale in 2019.
Legal V Ex-Lawyer peaked at 18%, and averaged 15.6% in 2018 or 2019.

And I'm sure there are many other shows that averaged or peaked over 15/20% now included there. I may have even forgotten one that did well over 20%.

Hanzawa Naoki 2020 also had some incredible rating

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thank you for all the info, Kanroji Mitsuri! And welcome to the forum!

Yeah, Hanzawa Naoki (2020) was big. Thanks for sharing it. It only dropped 4% on average versus the 2013 Hanzawa Naoki (the last show, I think, that broke 40% at 42.2% in its finale episode).

Ratings have obviously dropped over the past 10 years, but it's still possible to reach 20%, and to breakout above that mark up towards the 25-30% range (Hanzawa Naoki even hit 32.7% as seen above last year). What was the last movie broadcast to exceed 20% (or 25%) though? Your Name. in 2018 in its first broadcast?

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

https://trends24.in/

Those trending numbers for Demon Slayer, and things related to it (Aimer), are insane. Demon Slayer/Kimetsu was over 1 million earlier.

Note: It's 2:30am in Japan.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Aspiring Director

Your Name did 17.4% in 2018, the last movie that did 20%+(atleast anime movie, I am not sure about LA) is Princess Mononoke in 2014 and did 21.9%, Frozen did 19.7% in 2017.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Aiga wrote:
Your Name did 17.4% in 2018, the last movie that did 20%+(atleast anime movie, I am not sure about LA) is Princess Mononoke in 2014 and did 21.9%, Frozen did 19.7% in 2017.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

We can probably rule out the live-action movies, at least in the last 10 years. I don't think any are even close, really. There hasn't really been a live-action movie phenomenon since... maybe Avatar, but it was more of a box office thing (see it in 3D and all) that didn't translate well into home video sales, and I've never seen it listed in any TV ratings.

If Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away stopped exceeding 20% since 2014, then no live-action film since (or likely years before), would have.

You might even have to go way back to maybe the first (or early) broadcasts for big live action films from the early 00s like The Last Samurai, the first couple Harry Potter or Bayside Shakedowns, or something else in that era.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
https://trends24.in/

Those trending numbers for Demon Slayer, and things related to it (Aimer), are insane. Demon Slayer/Kimetsu was over 1 million earlier.

Note: It's 2:30am in Japan.

The trendings were nuts. At one point it had something absurd like 23/30 of the top30, and 3 separate hashtags to complain about too many commercials were top20 lol.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:54 pm
Angels & Demons

Few weeks ago, on MyAnimeList, a popular forum for anime, I started a topic about who could replace the role of LiSA as the main singer for Season 2. Some members suggested Aimer.

At first, I thought her voice and songs were mostly Gothic style. Although I like her songs very much such as Wonderland, Spark-again, Haru wa Yuku, I did not think she would fit for the tone of KNY. After listening the song in the trailer and witnessing the amazing trending, I believe that Aimer's career will thrive more after this Season.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 pm
The Dark Knight

Announcements of yesterday's broadcast (Mugen Train) might be delayed by a week. Today, it will have a day light broadcast on Otia Prefecture, starting from 13:55.

Season 2 Broadcast Info:
Japan: Fuji TV from October 10
China (SAR): Bahamut Anime, Catchplay, LiTV
Russia, Korea & Mainland China: undecided
South East Asia: Muse Communication via Viu, BilliBilli and IQiyi (excluding SAARC countries)
AU & NZ: Madman Anime via Animelab
UK & IRE: Funimation
America: Funimation
Europe: Wakanim
Germany: Peppermint Anime
Spain: Selecta Vision
Italy: Dynit

Can someone answer my previous questions?
Corpse, is season 2 going to get censored overseas.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:24 pm
The Dark Knight

Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
Announcements of yesterday's broadcast (Mugen Train) might be delayed by a week. Today, it will have a day light broadcast on Otia Prefecture, starting from 13:55.

Season 2 Broadcast Info:
Japan: Fuji TV from October 10
China (SAR): Bahamut Anime, Catchplay, LiTV
Russia, Korea & Mainland China: undecided
South East Asia: Muse Communication via Viu, BilliBilli and IQiyi (excluding SAARC countries)
AU & NZ: Madman Anime via Animelab
UK & IRE: Funimation
America: Funimation
Europe: Wakanim
Germany: Peppermint Anime
Spain: Selecta Vision
Italy: Dynit

Can someone answer my previous questions?
Corpse, is season 2 going to get censored overseas.

There are some noise regarding Netflix & Prime Video release. At present, it is undecided. However, it might be possible to release Season 2 in Netflix like Tokyo Revengers.
Important Notice:
Muse Communication will not upload Season 2 via their YouTube channel. It will only be available in VoD via Viu, BilliBilli and IQiyi.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

So we start anime from Season 1....ugh

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:33 pm
The Dark Knight

Jack Sparrow wrote:
So we start anime from Season 1....ugh

No, we are not starting from first. Those were just special five Compilation films which covered all of the hidden story like how Tomioka became one of pillars (Hashira). [These five special Compilation films will be available in Overseas before Season 2 Broadcast] It was already planned to be a continuous broadcast. And an important factor to note is people haven't forgotten Rengoku.
Recapping the film is an excellent idea in re-dominating TV ratings from September to late March 2022, which will help to redominate manga sales (which is currently running behind Jujutsu Kaisen) However, I don't know the overseas reception and local laws on censorship. While, a ban might be possible in Korea, Mainland and Russia.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:48 pm
Hatchling

I know that the JPN Box Office is slowish right now and that a lot of us like DS but i think that discussion about the series should be made in another place, maybe create a new sub forum here in WoKJ, specially if someone plans to give weekly updates of TV ratings and/or audience reception for the new season

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really don't know if season two will face censorship or bans outside of Japan. I would have to imagine most territories will stream or broadcast it and unchanged, it's not the most mature thing out there, but some such as China could certainly ban it. China didn't even approve (or disapprove...) of Mugen Train, so... I wouldn't be surprised if China also ignores season two of the franchise.

China seems to have really gotten strict with imports in recent months/years, and the ongoing tensions with Japan along regional sea borders and especially the Senkaku Islands lately isn't helping relations.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Hyauku wrote:
I know that the JPN Box Office is slowish right now and that a lot of us like DS but i think that discussion about the series should be made in another place, maybe create a new sub forum here in WoKJ, specially if someone plans to give weekly updates of TV ratings and/or audience reception for the new season

We can create a thread for it in the TV forum. Would you guys be interested in a dedicated thread to season two (or the show in general)? I know this thread receives a lot of traffic itself, so I could have a link to the TV forum thread in my signature for easier access if needed too.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:19 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Corpse wrote:
Hyauku wrote:

We can create a thread for it in the TV forum. Would you guys be interested in a dedicated thread to season two (or the show in general)? I know this thread receives a lot of traffic itself, so I could have a link to the TV forum thread in my signature for easier access if needed too.

Corpse, I am fine with everything you decide (personally, I think it's necessary). Also, I am thankful for your info and concern regarding my question. BTW, I only know that online streaming of censored version of Mugen Train in the platform "BilliBilli" is at talks. Once again, thank you for your time.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759 ... 952  Next