Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (06/12-13); Charts Update
Yes, they've received so many orders, that shipping is going to be delayed for many.

If you ordered a copy before May 21st, then it still shipped on June 14th/15th as planned ahead of the June 16th release date. If you ordered between May 22nd-June 10th, then your shipment is being delayed until June 16th/17th. And if you ordered from June 11th-16th, your shipment is being delayed until June 24th/25th.

Anyone who didn't order a copy of the movie by now should probably look into going to their nearest stores to buy a copy (as soon as they open this morning, as I'm sure some will be swamped/sellout quick) since the volume of online sales looks enormous, and shipping will probably just continue to get backlogged. They're on a two-week shipping delay already for orders placed from June 11th, so ordering online now probably means you won't get it until July.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

From social media, many people got their orders through Amazon shipping early today. It will be rough for Oricon to track all the sales because too many versions of the DVD/Bluray from different retailers such as Lawson.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Since this is looking like it could be a bit chaotic, we'll probably have to rely on ufotable/Aniplex to announce the sales/shipment figures.

*Fingers crossed* it breaks Frozen's first day record (661,000) and first week record of 1.5 million! If it doesn't, Frozen will likely keep the first day/week sales record forever.

Not that missing this record will be disappointing (even half would be massive 2021, or any year really, but especially 2021), it's just that these records are becoming increasingly difficult to break, and are very close to being nigh-impossible soon with the declining, aging population and rise in digital sales.

Pretty much all records across every medium (box office, dvd/blu-ray, music, video games, manga/books, etc.) will be just about impossible to break again after 2030 or so (perhaps earlier) in the market.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

I expect to see long queues in front of stores the next few hours in urban areas, just like what happened with volume 20 and 23.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Most of you have likely seen this already, but sharing just in case since it's a very cool image. Wonder if today's release day image can top it.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

So Evangaleon has a chance to hit 10B yen after all.... I think this milestone can be choosen for the Jujutsu Kaisen movie

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alo12345 wrote:
So Evangaleon has a chance to hit 10B yen after all.... I think this milestone can be choosen for the Jujutsu Kaisen movie

I don't think it can since most theaters (72%) are dropping it on Friday. It won't be adding much at all after Friday to its total. This past weekend (and current week) was marketed as its farewell weekend/week, so its run is almost over.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

MSFK wrote:
It will be rough for Oricon to track all the sales because too many versions of the DVD/Bluray from different retailers such as Lawson.

Nah don't think we need to worry about this. Oricon will track this just as well (or poorly) as they track anything else. Retailer exclusive editions are the norm for anime. As long as the participating shops report their sales to Oricon the same way they always do, there's no reason why it would be any more complicated than usual for Oricon to compile their weekly charts.

The only difference with Kimetsu is that the retailer exclusive limited editions have a slightly higher MSRP than the non-exlusive limited editions, and based on the listings in the Oricon database they'll probably just be lumped into the totals for the non-exclusive limited edition, rather than listed as a separate entry.

That won't have any effect on the total reported sales number, but it will mean any revenue estimates we make based on those numbers will be very slightly lower than reality. (The retailer exclusives will be a small proportion of its overall sales, in any case.)

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm
Angels & Demons

I hope so. Let's see if Mugen Train will surprise us again.

Although SOE has delayed stage greetings and on-site promotion plans for the home release, the main cast participated in some public events with the KNY theme. For example, in this video, Nezuko's voice actress became the Representative for the Traffic Safety Event. You can guess what apparel kids wore :funny: : https://youtu.be/Mo4CgKEN86A. Now Lawson becomes Lawson no Yaiba, every week the convenience store chain always has new KNY-themed products. It's hard to believe that the influence of the series has long-lasting effects like what we witness.

If only 5% of 54 million households in Japan purchase one DVD/Bluray copy per household, the sales is still around 2.7 million copies.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:47 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Look how pretty!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Blu-ray/DVD Release Day
Even the delivery box is well-designed. Toho picked a wrong day to drop their new MHA's movie trailer because ppl will talk more about KNY today.

P/S: From now on, Rengoku's clothing patterns, along with Giyuu's and Shinobu's have been registered as trademarks for Shueisha. Hence, those three pillars are now "protected" by the law in certain circumstances https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... rs/.173823

It will be crazy if a "Rengoku" mascot carries a torch during the Olympic event next month and yells "Set your heart ablaze" :lol:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Many cool displays, here are a few:

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Corpse wrote:
Look how pretty!
Spoiler: show

OMG These are beautiful!!!!

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:58 pm
Wall-E

somekindofthing wrote:
MSFK wrote:
It will be rough for Oricon to track all the sales because too many versions of the DVD/Bluray from different retailers such as Lawson.

Nah don't think we need to worry about this. Oricon will track this just as well (or poorly) as they track anything else. Retailer exclusive editions are the norm for anime. As long as the participating shops report their sales to Oricon the same way they always do, there's no reason why it would be any more complicated than usual for Oricon to compile their weekly charts.

The only difference with Kimetsu is that the retailer exclusive limited editions have a slightly higher MSRP than the non-exlusive limited editions, and based on the listings in the Oricon database they'll probably just be lumped into the totals for the non-exclusive limited edition, rather than listed as a separate entry.

That won't have any effect on the total reported sales number, but it will mean any revenue estimates we make based on those numbers will be very slightly lower than reality. (The retailer exclusives will be a small proportion of its overall sales, in any case.)

Wasn't going to ask here, but since everyone's talking about the BD release anyways I might as well.
Something I've been wondering about is - how does Oricon treat ufotable webstore sales? I'm not sure how they do it with fate releases, but it's not on their official list of partners, so they won't be tracking it. Do they try to estimate the amount sold there or just treat it as untrackable "lost" sales?

Granted I doubt the amount of people buying at ufotable's store is that big relatively to the total (though seeing as they had trouble with shipments and had to delay the amount was definitely well above what they are used to), just wondering how it works with that.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:08 am
Wall-E

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2197066/full/
Oricon reports DVD as 218k and BD LE as 268k, so it would need other editions to combine for 175k to beat frozen d1 (though I imagine they would have reported it as such if it did beat it?)

Also to answer my own question, an ufotable tweet mentioned that their web sales do not count for oricon.
https://twitter.com/ufotable/status/819109018224377857
No way to tell how much is sold there, though, but I wouldn't bet on it being a big % of the total, especially for such a mainstream release.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 am
Star Trek XI

JustLurking wrote:
Oricon reports DVD as 218k and BD LE as 268k, so it would need other editions to combine for 175k to beat frozen d1 (though I imagine they would have reported it as such if it did beat it?)

Also to answer my own question, an ufotable tweet mentioned that their web sales do not count for oricon.
https://twitter.com/ufotable/status/819109018224377857
No way to tell how much is sold there, though, but I wouldn't bet on it being a big % of the total, especially for such a mainstream release.

Googling, Frozen Blu Ray Day 1 was 465K and 661K overall. So DVD record?

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:21 am
Aspiring Director

Frozen was sold as combo of DVD+BD so i guess it depends on how you classify it(Oricon counted it as BD), Kimetsu probably won't have individual record number since it has 2 BDs and 2 DVDs edition but cumulative it might get the record when we get the full data.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 am
Wall-E

charlie jat wrote:
Googling, Frozen Blu Ray Day 1 was 465K and 661K overall. So DVD record?

Isn't 465k just the LTD of evangelion 2.22?

Aiga wrote:
Frozen was sold as combo of DVD+BD so i guess it depends on how you classify it(Oricon counted it as BD), Kimetsu probably won't have individual record number since it has 2 BDs and 2 DVDs edition but cumulative it might get the record when we get the full data.

If Frozen was counted as BD only I guess that would explain why oricon wouldn't consider it a record regardless. DS has 4 SKUs on oricon (2 dvd, 2 BD), both ranked #2 behind the other version on the respective chart, so them combining for 175k+ would be possible. Though it doesn't seem likely that oricon will break the total down further, so we'll probably only be able to fully compare the full week numbers.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm guessing ufotable/Aniplex will add whatever was sold/shipped on their webstore to the Oricon sales for the week? I believe the ufotable store was the first to go live with preorders, and may have been the only option for a short time. I recall their webstore crashing due to the demand. And since they've announced shipping delays due to the volume of orders, they probably sold a pretty hefty amount.

somekindofthing has shown they have a lot of knowledge of the home video market, so they can probably weigh in here regarding all this.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Any expectation for total DVD & Bluray sales based on the first day sales?

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:41 pm
Full Fledged Member

JustLurking wrote:
Wasn't going to ask here, but since everyone's talking about the BD release anyways I might as well.
Something I've been wondering about is - how does Oricon treat ufotable webstore sales? I'm not sure how they do it with fate releases, but it's not on their official list of partners, so they won't be tracking it. Do they try to estimate the amount sold there or just treat it as untrackable "lost" sales?
Granted I doubt the amount of people buying at ufotable's store is that big relatively to the total (though seeing as they had trouble with shipments and had to delay the amount was definitely well above what they are used to), just wondering how it works with that.

Seems you already confirmed this, but yeah ufotable Webshop is not on Oricon's list of participating retailers. That's pretty standard for small specialty retailers like studio or publisher direct sales sites, so it's an issue that a lot of releases encounter. (Also, whether and how well Oricon already tries to account for these things in its estimates, I don't know.) It's one of many reasons why Oricon numbers should definitely always be treated as incomplete. But as you mention, this will account for a small percentage of sales.

JustLurking wrote:

This is almost definitely what it needed to easily top a million week one, especially since the two versions that weren't reported should also do big numbers. 6/15 was pre-sales day, which is when all preorders are counted. It still has the rest of the week for people to pick up in-store, or for any late online shipments to be added in. Tomorrow will be its second biggest day, street date, and then it rapidly drops off after that. I believe the very very rough rule of thumb is that pre-sales day is about half of the weekly total. But that depends on stock availability, and I'm not sure how well that rule of thumb holds up for a massive film (I usually track niche TV anime releases).

It's particularly interesting how out of step Amazon was with the overall market this time. At Amazon, the RE was consistently dominating the LE, but clearly at least on BD, the LE was coming out ahead (though the RE did win out on DVD). There's reasons why the rankings might have been misleading, since it was often out of stock and being sold in bursts whenever stock was listed. Could be that the LEs sold in quicker bursts while the REs had a more steady but smaller trickle, and thus the higher average ranking of the RE BD was misleading. I think Amazon's charts in particular were thrown off by Uma Musume Season 2 taking the top spots for much of Kimetsu's preorder period.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about whether Kimetsu beats Frozen's day one numbers or not, as these things are generally measured on a weekly basis. Daily numbers are almost never published, and thus not a great way to compare releases, so wait and see what the weekly ranking says.

The number to beat for first week record is 1,553,505 week 1. I wouldn't be shocked if that happens, provided stock keeps up, given these are the opening day numbers for just 2 of the 4 versions (kinda dumb that Oricon didn't just report all four if they were gonna say anything at all, I mean, its the same darn film).

Edit: Actually, to be more accurate the release to beat is Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), we just don't know how much it actually sold. We know opening week on DVD was 1,410,947 but it also had a VHS release. We don't have weekly VHS numbers, but we know it had to be huge because its 2002 yearly total on VHS (its first 4 months) was 1,654,955.

So Frozen's 1.5m is the highest we have data for, but Sen to Chihiro definitely crushed 2m opening week, probably by a lot. We just don't know the exact number.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:44 pm
Wall-E

somekindofthing wrote:
-

Thanks for the detailed post! I cut it on my quote cause it was very long and I didn't want to clog the page too much.

And yeah, it is a little annoying that oricon only reported first place numbers, and I wouldn't expect them to expand on it, so we'll just compare weeklies (I'd be surprised if the other two versions were so behind they didn't manage to rack up 175k, though, not like we'll ever know). I'm not used to track BD/DVD sales, so perhaps I'm off mark here, but a potential reason for why the LE ended up coming ahead would be mass preorders on the first few days vs the more casual fans ordering regular throughout the months? I do remember the LEs were easily ahead when it first went on preorder, though the RE moved ahead afterwards.

Also - that's extremely impressive about spirited away! I knew it held the highest total, but not about how big its first week was. Even knowing the market for this kind of product used to be bigger back then, those are insane numbers.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

486,000 copies in the first day from just 2 of the four versions is a crazy figure. Shouldn't be surprising, this series has defied all norms and broken countless records in every medium so far really, but it's still crazy.

Even if the other two versions "only" sold half as much, then it moved over 725,000 in a day. And a mere third gets it near 650,000. We don't know what the other versions sold, but considering one of them is the standard Blu-ray copy (likely to be very popular among more casual fans/general buyers), it's likely an impressive amount.

Just throwing some potential numbers out there. The 486,000 number itself is already enormously impressive, but the fact that it's lower than whatever the currently unknown figure happens to be is bonkers.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

So after the first day, the estimated revenue should look something like this (from 2/4 versions of the movie):

268,000 (Limited Edition Blu-ray) at ¥9,900 ($89.92) = ¥2,653,200,000 ($24.1 million)
218,000 (Standard DVD) at ¥3,300 ($29.97) = ¥719,400,000 ($6.5 million)

486,000 = ¥3,372,600,000 ($30.6 million).

Again, this is just based on two of the four versions (Limited Edition DVD and Standard Blu-ray are missing). From this though, the overall revenue amount is likely a little lower since this is using the MSRP, and retailers can mark down the prices a bit (like Amazon), but I'm guessing it's no more than 10/15% or so less taking that into account.

But correct me if I'm off, somekindofthing, this is your field. :thumbsup:

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

With Kimetsu's opening week clearly set to be one of the highest in the Oricon DVD/BD era, I figure people are already interested in where it could potentially end up on the all-time lifetime charts. Obviously we won't know that from first week data, but we'll have a decent idea within a few months.

But first let's look at the week one competition more precisely. It needs:
1.42m to beat Sen to Chihiro (DVD-only)
1.56m to beat Frozen
2.??m to beat Sen to Chihiro (DVD+VHS)

As mentioned in my previous post, we don't have weekly numbers for VHS for Sen to Chihiro, at least not in anything I've dug up online. We do know it sold 1,654,955 VHS on the 2002 yearly charts, i.e. across its first 18 weeks. The DVD sold 69% of its 2002 total in week 1, so if the VHS performed similarly its opening week would have been about 1.14m, for a 2.55m total. Even if VHS was dramatically less front-loaded than DVD for some reason, we're still far beyond 2m. Probably 2.3m at least.

Note: This is barring some non-animated release I'm totally unaware of, but the only possible competition would be some monstrously enormous live concert release, and while I'm no expert in those, I don't think any have ever gotten that high.

So what about lifetime sales? I recently did some digging to get as complete data as I could on the Ghibli films. I don't track western animation at all, but Frozen, Finding Nemo and maybe Monsters Inc. are the only competition for Kimetsu there:

4,226,784 - Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi [VHS/DVD/BD]
2,543,545 - Frozen [BD]
2,250,000 - Finding Nemo [VHS/DVD/BD] (*estimate thru early 2017)
2,031,523 - Tonari no Totoro [VHS/Beta/LD/VHD/DVD/BD]
1,550,000 - Monsters Inc. [VHS/DVD/BD] (*estimate thru mid 2016)
1,537,139 - Mononoke-hime [VHS/LD/DVD/BD]
1,397,473 - Howl no Ugoku Shiro [DVD/BD]
1,145,885 - Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa [VHS/Beta/LD/VHD/DVD/BD]

• All should be accurate as of their most recent Oricon ranking, except where noted. The estimated ones will have added a small trickle of sales since the dates stated, but nothing too significant.
• Re-releases are included in the above totals.

If we exclude re-releases, the list thins out a bit:

4,117,611 - Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi [2002 VHS/DVD]
2,509,929 - Frozen [2014 BD]
1,820,000 - Finding Nemo [2002 VHS/DVD] (*estimate thru early 2017)
1,375,090 - Howl no Ugoku Shiro [2005 DVD]
1,077,143 - Mononoke-hime [1998 VHS/LD]

• Totoro and Laputa did almost all of their known sales long after their initial releases in the 80s. Ditto for 1990's Majo no Takkyuubin, which is at 883k. This is also true of Nausicaa, which I have at 980k but no data is available for its original 1984 release. Monsters Inc. comes in around 800k without re-releases.

If Kimetsu indeed does a million in its first week, the obviously it'll have no problem topping Mononoke's initial release, as well as Howl's. That means it'll pretty easily also pass Howl and Laputa's lifetimes even without needing re-releases. Anything beyond that depends on legs. But I think #4 for initial releases and #7 including re-releases is the floor.

One massive caveat: sales from the early 2000s and especially pre-DVD are seriously under-reported versus the real publisher shipment numbers. So are sales today, but not to the same extent. The early Ghibli titles are particularly egregious examples. According to the JP Wikipedia entries, Totoro's 1997 VHS release had reached 1.9 million through 2003; however, the available data we have only covers 479,626 of that. Laputa's 1998 VHS is indicated as having moved 1 million as of 2003, but we only see 187,651. Sen to Chihiro's overall total is at least 5.5 million when you factor in the gap of 700k VHS copies and 600k DVDs versus the publisher data.

All this to say, once we start talking about all-time rankings, we are comparing wildly different things over a period of decades. Our "reported numbers" are incomplete, and to varying degrees over time. I think comparing Kimetsu to Frozen makes for a generally "fair" comparison, as Frozen did almost all of its lifetime sales in its initial release, and Oricon's accuracy in 2014 was probably comparable to today. Kimetsu is also likely to sell only a small percentage of its lifetime sales through future re-releases, just like Frozen. But the early-00s Ghibli (and presumably Pixar) titles would show much higher numbers if they were covered with similar levels of accuracy as Kimetsu is going to be covered today.

Last edited by somekindofthing on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745 ... 952  Next