Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
The Dark Knight

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Third MHA Movie Debuting in the US (10
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Wow! That's great info thanks Kanroji :thumbsup:

The entire Universe is over ¥45B+ and probably might hit ¥52B if we have the actual Box Office Numbers. But, getting Box Office numbers from distribution rentals are too much difficult because it's sometimes 1.6x -2.3 of rentals. Box Office Numbers can be easily found after 1979 (i.e. from 1980-present) But, figure from 1950s basically need to be verified.from Books. However, I somehow found a thread of Japan Box Office Yearly ranking from 1950-1968. You can check it via this link : http://tieba.baidu.com/p/7027205387?sha ... 903B0F57#/

BTW, I am happy that we have somehow got another Biggest Franchise. I can't believe how Thunderball was next to Tokyo Olympiad in Yearly Ranking. The Sky that love me is over ¥6.3B (¥3.15B at rentals). I hope my datas help Corpse for future deep research.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:17 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thanks for doing quite a bit of the work, Kanroji! I definitely appreciate the help here (given its scope).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm putting together the release schedule for the rest of the year (November/December), and will have it posted in a few days as I wait to see if a couple TBA 2021 films end up being put on the schedule or pushed to 2022.

But until then, want to mention that Arashi (Japan's biggest, most popular male idol/boy band, and currently on hiatus) have a film releasing on November 26th called ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories". And prior to its debut, it has some early showings on November 3rd at the 7 Dolby Cinema locations that are all sold out.

Mentioning this because it's being given a wide release, and is almost certainly going to have a huge opening weekend. The film is celebrating their 20th Anniversary. Since 2010, all their albums (11 total since then) have sold over 600,000 copies in their first weeks, and the 20th Anniversary album released back in 2019 that the film is related to sold a massive 1,304,251 copies (record for the band) in its first week and went on to exceed 2.2 million copies in Japan. It was also the best selling album worldwide in 2019 with 3.3 million copies sold.

And besides huge album sales to this day, they're very well known for their record tours (20th anniversary tour sold 2.375 million tickets in a single year with 50 concerts, for an average attendance of 47,500 per show) and selling out huge arenas/stadiums (70,000/80,000 attendance levels) with ease. So, the film will very likely see a huge debut that will likely attract the consistent 600,000-800,000 (or more) fans that buy the albums in their first weeks over its opening weekend.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Saturday presales for Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night are very good. It achieved the highest Saturday presales figure since My Hero Academia back in August, just 2,000 shy of it.

I would predict ¥400/450 million over the weekend based on its Saturday presales, I think. The last film, Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale, debuted to ¥425.7 million ($3.8 million) on 308,376 admissions back in 2017.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Excellent, it will be having a great weekend. Overall, I am assuming ¥500M+ opening weekend. The first audience ratings/reviews are great. The film will have get legs. Also, there is a collabs with Marvel's Eternals to promote both movie over the same plot word "origin". Leading the Sat while Trending No. 1 in Twitter Japan.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:21 pm
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
Saturday presales for Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night are very good. It achieved the highest Saturday presales figure since My Hero Academia back in August, just 2,000 shy of it.

I would predict ¥400/450 million over the weekend based on its Saturday presales, I think. The last film, Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale, debuted to ¥425.7 million ($3.8 million) on 308,376 admissions back in 2017.

Presales for previous film were much higher though (49k vs 30k), and saturday performance reflected that quite clearly (98k admissions vs 133k for previous SAO movie).

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:31 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

EDIT: JustLurking got to it first! :funny:

I know you posted that very early in the day though, Kanroji, so no worries. And my bad for projecting over ¥400 million.

Its Saturday looks to be around 25% below the last film's admissions. It has more theaters than the first one though, so can't make a 100% direct comparison. But with the slight increase in average ticket prices since 2017, mostly due to higher shares in premium formats, the revenue amount will fare a little better. I'm thinking it'll come in around ¥350 million ($3.1 million) / ~250,000 admissions for the weekend.

This is still quite good, mind you. ¥400/450 million or so is about the ceiling for the more fan-driven, smaller "niche" anime films like SAO. And it has been a bit of a wait between films, and like JustLurking mentioned weeks ago, the franchise doesn't sell as well as it was 4, 5 years ago.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Yeah, should still do well overall, but probably below the first one, which isn't too unexpected as I think the franchise has been getting weaker over the years. I guess it will probably still cross 2 billion, which is strong for an aniplex movie.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:48 am
The Dark Knight

First day was ¥213M /100K+ as per Mr Taroi. Immediate legs speak about ¥2B+ but, a point to be noted is that this work is not sequel to Ordinal Scale, so audience target will/ may not work. Some of my colleagues says that they will watch when home media arrives. In other words, we can not expect every fans returning to watch the film. The film just serve as reboot like 4K-HD restoration of a 1980s film but here is the difference, Mito is not a character in original Progressive Novels. So, maximum went to watch her role in the film. The story was completely driven by Asuna. Well, I might be overjudging but I do want this work to pass ¥3B as it has given me a lot of refreshing and life lessons.

Note: In Mainland China, this work is tentatively scheduled for March 2022. However, date might change based on CFA approval.

Last edited by Kanroji Mitsuri on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 am
The Dark Knight

$2.9M Friday Estimates for My Hero Academia: The World Heroes'Mission.

Edit: Corrected Numbers. I don't know why I write Dune Numbers everytime (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:41 am
The Dark Knight

$6.4M OW for MHA -_-

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:18 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, not particularly good. Technically it's a bigger "opening weekend" than the last film, but the last film opened on a Wednesday.

And back to Japan... Sword Art Online had a heavy Sunday decline, not surprising for a fan-driven film like it, but even then it was quite large and frontloaded over the weekend. Monday is the first (national discount day), so maybe some put off seeing it until then, but unless Monday is abnormally strong, it'll be hard to really say if that's a factor.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

SAO OP : ¥349,340,215 /225,221 (lower than Ordinal Scale: ¥425M) New Work decided titled "劇場版 ソードアート・オンライン プログレッシブ 冥き夕闇のスケルツォ" ,schedule to release on 2022. I think they will convert the entire Progressive Novels to movies (Hey, we got a new Universe). That's gives Reki more time to think about Unital Ring Arc. Overall, we are getting new season after 2024-2026 (I think)

Decline was genuine. Because many of the original light novels fans didn't watch. I guess we might end very low from previous film if legs get affected. Alicization was the only part of Sword Art Online that expand its fanbase Also Reki stop updating the Unital Ring Arc, a continuing to Alicization Arc. I don't know what he is going to do. Also, A single Progressive Novel provide the story line for "One Floor" Also due to Reki's Over writing Books are divided into two. I don't know how many years would it take to complete 100 floor in books. So, planned movies like Franchise will give him more time to complete his work.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:52 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Aniplex Box-Office History
Below is Aniplex's box-office history opening weekends from ~2012 until present with the new Sword Art Online.

I'll add the totals at a later date, but I'm posting this incomplete because I'm asking for some help here. It's oddly challenging to find a complete list of every Aniplex theatrical release (list of anime is easy enough, but not actual theatrical releases), so if I missed any (especially prior to 2012, but I could have missed others since), please let me know today, or over the next couple of days, and I'll look them up and add them to the list.

Once that's done, it'll make putting togethers the Totals list for all their films pretty quick and simple.

(NOTE: They must be the distributor (co-distributor is fine, like with Demon Slayer last year), and not just the production company.)

Aniplex Box-Office History

OPENING WEEKENDS:
¥3.354 billion ($31.9 million) / 2,509,986 [1,400+] - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
¥490.5 million ($4.5 million) / 276,795 [131] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II - Lost Butterfly (2019)
¥474.9 million ($4.5 million) / 274,017 [156] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song (2020)
¥425.7 million ($3.8 million) / 308,376 [151] - Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale (2017)
¥413.0 million ($3.7 million) / 247,507 [128] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel I - Presage Flower (2017)
¥400.0 million ($4.2 million) / 271,279 [129] - Magi Madoko Magica III - The Rebellion Story (2013)
¥349.6 million ($3.1 million) / 225,333 [233] - Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (2021)
¥257.1 million ($2.3 million) / 179,780 [251] - City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes (2019)
¥198.2 million ($2.1 million) / 161,225 [x64] - Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013)
¥173.9 million ($1.5 million) / 118,411 [135] - Natsume's Book of Friends (2018)
¥171.6 million ($2.2 million) / 117,413 [x43] - Magi Madoko Magica II - Eternal (2012)
¥171.5 million ($1.6 million) / 103,649 [178] - Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Part 1 (2020)
¥149.9 million ($1.4 million) / x81,262 [x39] - The Idolmaster Movie: Beyond the Brilliant Future! (2014)
¥140.6 million ($1.2 million) / x99,082 [142] - The Anthem of the Heart (2015)
¥138.5 million ($1.8 million) / x91,193 [x43] - Magi Madoko Magica I - Beginnings (2012)
¥136.3 million ($1.3 million) / x89,758 [121] - Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (2019)
¥106.9 million ($1.0 million) / x87,206 [169] - Let Me Eat Your Pancreas (2018)
¥102.8 million ($0.9 million) / x71,000 [100] - Fate/Grand Order - Final Singularity Grand Temple of Time: Solomon (2021)
¥101.0 million ($0.9 million) / x66,630 [x31] - Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl (2019)

List excludes sub-¥100 million opening weekends.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Aniplex BO History (Some Help Requeste
Weekend Actuals (and chart updates) will be posted tomorrow morning/afternoon this week.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

I have checked but do a second check. Here they are :
1. Zutto Mae Kara Suki Deshita (¥70.5M OP)
2. Kizumonogatari (3 films)
3. Cencoroll (~30 mins) & sequel Cencoroll 2 (2019)
4. Blue Exorcist: The Movie (~¥5M)
5. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE (3 films)
6. The Legend of Hei
7. STARCHILD
8. Mardock Scramble (3 films)
9. Hotarubi no Mori e
10. Persona (3 films)
11. Nerawareta Gakuen
12. Tekkonkinkreet
13. Saint Young Men
14. Gekijouban Harukanaru toki no naka de: Maihitoyo
15. The Garden of Sinners
16. Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW

I recommend checking the Japanese Wikipedia for complete list as I see they have listed them all. I use a Chinese Wikipedia so I don't think I got the complete list of their production/distribution.
Here is the link to Japanese Aniplex Article : https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2 ... B%E3%83%A1

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thank you!

The Kizumonogatari films were released by Toho Video Division. But Part 1 opened above ¥100 million, so here's its opening weekend for anyone interested. Parts 2 & 3 saw sizable declines.

¥177.1 million ($1.5 million) / 131,973 [108] - Kizumonogatari - Part 1: Blood and Iron

All the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha films debuted under ¥100 million. I'll double check a few others on the list, but I don't think any of them will make it. So... the opening weekend chart above may very well be complete.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Wednesday is going to be very interesting. Some of the weekend films are opening on Wednesday this week since it's a national holiday.

What Did You Eat Yesterday?, based on the feel-good TV show (or perhaps a follow-up to the TV show), has very impressive pre-sales. It's already sold well over 50% of its seats (even 60-70%) at several very busy theaters. The feel-good TV show/film follows a gay couple in their daily routines. I wasn't aware of this title until this past week while working on the release schedule, but it definitely seems quite popular. One of the characters cooks in the show, and a cookbook related to the TV show apparently sold very well, too.

Also, the Arashi film is opening at the 7 Dolby locations in the country on Wednesday and is 100% sold out every day at each location FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK (11/03-11). Tickets are ¥3,800 ($33) for adults, ¥2,700 ($24) for students. It opens nationwide on November 26th.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Child Actor

What did you eat yesterday? is a successful manga which has been serialized since 2007 and resisted quite well the passage of time (~ 200 000 readers for physical copies in 2021).

Fumi Yoshinaga is a highly respected mangaka and won prizes with different manga (the famous Antique Bakery, The Flower of life, What did you eat yesterday? and my favourite, the uchrony Ōoku : The Inner Chambers). I believe some of them are translated in English and on a separate note, I'm looking forward the french relase of Ōoku's last volume at the beginning of next month.

Even though, i'm still impressed by the pre-sales, as always, thank you for your dedication, Corpse!

Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (10/30-31)
Weekend Actuals (10/30-31)
01 (---) ¥349,623,407 ($3.06 million), 0, ¥349,623,407 ($3.1 million), Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (Aniplex) NEW
02 (---) ¥158,000,000 ($1.38 million), 0, ¥216,309,720 ($1.9 million), And, the Baton Was Passed (Warner Bros.) NEW
03 (---) ¥149,493,590 ($1.31 million), 0, ¥149,493,590 ($1.3 million), I Don't Have Any Money Left in My Retirement Account! (Toei) NEW
04 (01) ¥x96,561,460 ($846,000), -43%, ¥310,886,480 ($2.7 million), Tropical-Rouge! Precure: Snow Princess and Miraculous Ring (Toei) WK2
05 (03) ¥x82,635,550 ($724,000), -29%, ¥2,285,683,490 ($20.4 million), 007: No Time to Die (Toho-Towa) WK5
06 (02) ¥x76,975,700 ($675,000), -36%, ¥800,980,100 ($7.0 million), Baragaki: Unbroken Samurai (Toho/Asmik Ace) WK3
07 (06) ¥x71,697,690 ($628,000), -17%, ¥674,048,790 ($6.0 million), Laws of the Universe: The Age of Elohim (Nikkatsu) WK4
08 (05) ¥x60,249,450 ($528,000), -30%, ¥3,497,175,650 ($31.6 million), Masquerade Night (Toho) WK6
09 (07) ¥x58,205,940 ($510,000), -32%, ¥561,742,650 ($4.9 million), Dune (Warner Bros.) WK3
10 (04) ¥x54,600,400 ($479,000), -42%, ¥271,120,940 (2.4 million), Cube Shochiku) WK2
11 (08) ¥x33,911,930 ($297,000), -40%, ¥331,417,420 ($2.9 million), Lupin's Daughter (Toei) WK3
12 (---) ¥x18,263,200 ($160,000), N/A, ¥2,467,904,450 ($23.6 million), Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho) WK45

Good last weekend in October to close the month out on a relatively high note.

>Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night topped the weekend box-office, delivering an impressive debut by selling 225,333 admissions over the weekend across 233 screens. This is 18% (27% in admissions) below the last SAO film back in 2017, but that's a respectable decline since series sales have also declined in recent years. And it's Aniplex's 7th biggest opening, too. A total is hard to project here since it could be very frontloaded, but sometimes there are special events and such that propel fan-driven films such as this, so it could have a normal sort of run. I'd say expect a finish between ¥1.5-2.0 billion ($13-18 million), but we'll have to wait a few weeks to see what happens here.

>And, the Baton Was Passed opened in second place, selling 117,000 admissions over the weekend frame on 343 screens, and sold 161,667 admissions over its first three-days in release. Nothing amazing here, but still a respectable showing for a regular film in the off-season box-office months. It'll probably miss the ¥1 billion ($9/10 million) milestone, but this opening is good enough that it has a chance.

>I Don't Have Any Money Left in My Retirement Account! debuted in third place in revenue, but second place in admissions, selling 120,020 admissions over the weekend on 335 screens. Similar to Baton, nothing to write home about, but decent enough for the time of year. And similarly, it probably won't hit ¥1 billion ($9/10 million), but its opening still gives it a bit of a shot.

>No Time to Die slips to 5th place in its fifth-weekend, but did deliver its best hold so far. It surpassed Casino Royale over the weekend to become Craig's third highest grossing James Bond film. It doesn't have enough in the tank to approach Skyfall or Spectre, but it does look to finish above ¥2.5 billion ($22/23 million) at least, which is good. Its five-week admissions are up to 1,576,105.

>Masquerade Night broke ¥3.5 billion on Monday, and after the weekend, its six-week admissions exceeded 2.54 million. It'll surpass F9: The Fast Saga in a couple weeks to become the 8th highest grossing film of 2021.

>And lastly, Poupelle of Chimney Town received an expansion to 38 theaters, resulting in it rising from an unknown position (surely WAY down there, perhaps like...50th or lower) back into the Top 12 in its 45th week of release. Since its new total was reported by bunkatsushin this week from between 12/25-10/31, that means that somewhere it was still playing because films that get re-released (after leaving theaters) don't have their totals updated--the re-release is counted separately.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Top Opening Weekends 2021
Top Opening Weekends: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Screen Count] - Film (Distributor)

¥1.609 billion ($14.8 million) / 1,122,000 [497] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet (Toho)
¥1.177 billion ($10.8 million) / 760,882 [466] - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (Toho/Toei/Khara)

¥1 billion ↨
¥679.9 million ($6.2 million) / 459,000 [414] - Belle (Toho)
¥593.0 million ($5.7 million) / 423,000 [348] - New Interpretation Record of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥535.9 million ($4.9 million) / 374,000 [356] - Masquerade Night (Toho)
¥535.1 million ($4.8 million) / 351,848 [840] - F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa)
¥528.3 million ($4.8 million) / 386,000 [350] - Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.)
¥526.0 million ($4.9 million) / 362,000 [480] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (Warner Bros.)

¥500 million ↨
¥464.2 million ($4.3 million) / 293,000 [368] - Godzilla vs. Kong (Toho)
¥454.0 million ($4.1 million) / 335,000 [321] - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho)
¥430.7 million ($3.9 million) / 281,676 [762] - 007: No Time to Die (Toho-Towa)
¥399.0 million ($3.8 million) / 138,000 [191] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥362.9 million ($3.3 million) / 247,600 [449] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (Warner Bros.)
¥349.6 million ($3.1 million) / 225,333 [233] - Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (Aniplex)
¥330.7 million ($3.0 million) / 165,000 [215] - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (Shochiku)

¥300 million ↨
¥288.0 million ($2.7 million) / 219,000 [341] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)
¥287.5 million ($2.7 million) / 204,000 [197] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥276.4 million ($2.7 million) / 234,000 [375] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥256.2 million ($2.3 million) / 162,000 [472] - Monster Hunter (Toho-Towa)
¥238.6 million ($2.2 million) / 211,000 [368] - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy (Toho)
¥232.6 million ($2.1 million) / 168,000 [349] - The Fable II (Shochiku)
¥220.0 million ($2.0 million) / 166,000 [335] - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie (Toho)
¥218.8 million ($2.0 million) / 141,000 [267] - Black Widow (Disney)
¥216.8 million ($2.0 million) / 140,000 [779] - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney)
¥214.0 million ($1.9 million) / 154,000 [363] - Baragaki: Unbroken Samurai (Toho/Asmik Ace)
¥207.2 million ($2.0 million) / 144,000 [306] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)

¥200 million ↨
¥191.3 million ($1.8 million) / 133,268 [350] - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet (Tokyo Theaters, Co./Little More)
¥190.6 million ($1.7 million) / 133,000 [319] - Character (Toho)
¥173.7 million ($1.6 million) / 135,000 [220] - Honey Lemon Soda (Shin-Toho)
¥171.5 million ($1.6 million) / 103,649 [178] - Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Part 1 (Aniplex)
¥169.6 million ($1.5 million) / 141,071 [237] - Tropical-Rouge! Precure the Movie: The Snow Princess and the Miraculous Ring (Toei)
¥166.6 million ($1.6 million) / 134,653 [225] - Laws of the Universe: The Age of Elohim (Nikkatsu)
¥163.8 million ($1.5 million) / 124,500 [320] - Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho)
¥158.0 million ($1.4 million) / 117,000 [343] - And, the Baton Was Passed (Warner Bros.)
¥153.2 million ($1.4 million) / 112,000 [260] - Jungle Cruise (Disney)
¥151.0 million ($1.4 million) / 119,000 [354] - Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros.)
¥149.5 million ($1.3 million) / 120,020 [335] - I Don't Have Any Money Left in My Retirement Account! (Toei)
¥148.4 million ($1.4 million) / 135,000 [299] - A Morning of Farewell (Toei)
¥147.8 million ($1.3 million) / x91,000 [712] - Dune (Warner Bros.)
¥144.9 million ($1.4 million) / 109,000 [245] - Liar x Liar (Asmik Ace)
¥143.0 million ($1.3 million) / 111,000 [333] - Brave: Gunjyo Senki (Toho)
¥140.1 million ($1.3 million) / 112,564 [202] - Beautiful Lure - A Modern Tale of "Painted Skin" (Nikkatsu)
¥138.0 million ($1.2 million) / 101,000 [315] - Signal: The Movie (Toho)
¥130.7 million ($1.2 million) / x90,000 [323] - Last of the Wolves (Toei)
¥128.1 million ($1.2 million) / x81,000 [749] - The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
¥126.5 million ($1.2 million) / x92,000 [119] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi (Toho)
¥126.4 million ($1.1 million) / x95,000 [348] - In the Wake (Shochiku)
¥124.4 million ($1.2 million) / x97,000 [335] - Kamen Rider Zero-One: REAL x TIME (Toei)
¥119.4 million ($1.1 million) / x87,000 [259] - Hell's Garden (Warner Bros.)
¥118.4 million ($1.1 million) / x88,000 [343] - Kiba: The Fangs of Fiction (Shochiku)
¥115.4 million ($1.1 million) / x96,114 [237] - Healin' Good Pretty Cure: GoGo! Big Transformation! Town of Dreams (Toei)
¥114.3 million ($1.1 million) / x75,677 [340] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)
¥109.0 million ($1.0 million) / x79,000 [355] - The Sun Does Not Move (Warner Bros.)
¥106.9 million ($1.0 million) / x65,000 [x64] - Girls und Panzer the Finale - Part 3 (Showgate)
¥103.4 million ($0.9 million) / x79,000 [341] - Lupin's Daughter (Toei)
¥102.8 million ($0.9 million) / x71,000 [100] - Fate/Grand Order - Final Singularity Grand Temple of Time: Solomon (Aniplex)

¥100 million ↑

Legend:
¥1 billion+ (Exemplary) / ¥500 million+ (Great) / ¥300 million+ (Good) / ¥200 million+ (Acceptable) / ¥100 million+ (Mediocre)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Top Grossing Films 2021
Top Grossing Films: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Days In Release] - Film (Distributor)

¥10.24 billion ($93.7 million) / 6.70 million [F] - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (Toho/Toei/Khara)
¥10 billion ↨
¥7.55 billion ($69.6 million) / 5.40 million [F] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet (Toho)
¥6.50 billion ($59.0 million) / 4.67 million [108] - Belle (Toho)

¥5 billion ↨
¥4.45 billion ($40.6 million) / 3.34 million [E] - Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.)
¥4.35 billion ($39.9 million) / 3.09 million [F] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥4.03 billion ($38.3 million) / 3.00 million [F] - New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥3.81 billion ($36.5 million) / 2.83 million [F] - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet (Tokyo Theaters, Co./Little More)
¥3.64 billion ($33.1 million) / 2.40 million [E] - F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa)
¥3.50 billion ($31.6 million) / 2.54 million [45] - Masquerade Night (Toho)
¥3.36 billion ($30.7 million) / 2.43 million [E] - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho)

¥3 billion ↨
¥2.78 billion ($26.9 million) / 2.26 million [F] - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho)
¥2.50 billion ($22.8 million) / 1.77 million [F] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (Warner Bros.)
¥2.47 billion ($23.6 million) / 1.79 million [E] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)
¥2.29 billion ($20.4 million) / 1.58 million [31] - 007: No Time to Die (Toho-Towa)
¥2.21 billion ($20.0 million) / 1.09 million [F] - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (Shochiku)
¥2.16 billion ($20.5 million) / 0.79 million [F] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥2.01 billion ($19.1 million) / 1.56 million [F] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)

¥2 billion ↨
¥1.90 billion ($18.3 million) / 1.37 million [F] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥1.88 billion ($17.2 million) / 1.25 million [E] - Godzilla vs. Kong (Toho)
¥1.77 billion ($17.1 million) / 1.50 million [F] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥1.71 billion ($15.6 million) / 1.44 million [E] - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy (Toho)
¥1.53 billion ($13.9 million) / 1.10 million [E] - Character (Toho)
¥1.38 billion ($12.5 million) / 1.01 million [E] - The Fable II (Shochiku)
¥1.23 billion ($11.5 million) / 0.83 million [E] - Monster Hunter (Toho-Towa)
¥1.21 billion ($11.1 million) / 0.88 million [E] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi (Toho) *Compilation*
¥1.17 billion ($10.8 million) / 0.91 million [E] - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie (Toho)
¥1.01 billion ($9.3 million) / 0.88 million [E] - A Morning of Farewell (Toei)
¥1.01 billion ($9.1 million) / 0.79 million [E] - Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho)

¥1 billion ↑
¥974.0 million ($8.9 million) / 0.76 million [E] - Honey Lemon Soda (Shin-Toho)
¥960.0 million ($8.8 million) / 0.63 million [E] - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney)
¥900.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.60 million [E] - Black Widow (Disney)
¥845.5 million ($8.0 million) / 0.64 million [E] - Liar x Liar (Asmik Ace)
¥838.7 million ($7.7 million) / 0.66 million [E] - Brave: Gunjyo Senki (Toho)
¥821.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.58 million [E] - Jungle Cruise (Disney)
¥817.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.61 million [E] - Signal: The Movie (Toho)
¥801.0 million ($7.0 million) / 0.60 million [17] - Baragaki: Unbroken Samurai (Toho/Asmik Ace)
¥789.5 million ($7.3 million) / 0.65 million [E] - Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros.)
¥782.5 million ($7.1 million) / 0.57 million [E] - Last of the Wolves (Toei)
¥756.8 million ($6.6 million) / 0.59 million [31] - In the Wake (Shochiku)
¥674.0 million ($6.0 million) / 0.54 million [24] - Laws of the Universe: The Age of Elohim (Nikkatsu)
¥670.0 million ($6.1 million) / 0.51 million [E] - Hell's Garden (Warner Bros.)
¥638.1 million ($6.2 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Tengaramon (Giggly Box)
¥635.5 million ($5.8 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Kiba: The Fangs of Fiction (Shochiku)
¥634.9 million ($6.0 million) / 0.47 million [E] - Jukai Village (Toei)
¥614.9 million ($5.6 million) / 0.50 million [E] - Beautiful Lure - A Modern Tale of "Painted Skin" (Nikkatsu)
¥585.0 million ($5.4 million) / 0.41 million [E] - Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku)
¥579.1 million ($5.3 million) / 0.39 million [E] - The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
¥561.7 million ($4.9 million) / 0.36 million [17] - Dune (Warner Bros.)
¥546.5 million ($5.2 million) / 0.44 million [E] - Under the Open Sky (Warner Bros.)
¥534.7 million ($5.1 million) / 0.37 million [E] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

¥500 million ↑

Legend:
¥10 billion+ (Uber-Blockbuster) / ¥5 billion+ (Blockbuster) / ¥3 billion+ (Hit) / ¥2 billion+ (Respectable) / ¥1 billion+ (Commercial Success)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: November Release Schedule
November 2021 Release Schedule:

11/03 (National Hoiday):
[308] - What Did You Eat Yesterday? (Toho)
[xx7] - ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories" (Shochiku) *One-Week Dolby Cinema Previews; Already 100% Sold Out For The Week (11/03-11)*

11/05:
[372] - The Eternals (Disney)
[246] - Respect (Gaga)
[184] - Sumikko Gurashi the Movie: The Unexpected Picture Book and the Secret Child (Asmik Ace)

11/12:
[212] - The Ice Road (Gaga)
[212] - Paradise in Love (Kadokawa)
[138] - Malignant (Warner Bros.)
[x95] - Yo-Kai Watch: ♪ How Me and Keita Met ♪ M–Me Too~ ♪♪ (Toho) *Compilation Film*

11/19:
[324] - The Mole Song: The Final (Toho)
[120] - The Cursed Sanctuary X (Gaga, Asahi Shimbun)
[x78] - The Power of the Dog (Kadokawa)

11/26:
[241] - Dear Evan Hansen (Toho-Towa)
[198] - ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories" (Shochiku)
[135] - Symphonic Psalm Eureka Seven High Evolution 3 (Showgate)
[N/A] - Encanto (Disney) *Theatrical Release Complicated By 30-Day Theatrical Window; Likely To Be Boycotted*

11/03: National Holiday - Culture Day
11/23: National Holiday - Labor Thanksgiving Day

Note: Preliminary theater counts in [brackets] are subject-to-change, but rarely do.
Note (2): Release schedule posting excludes most very limited releases (<50 locations) unless from a notable distributor or notable release.
Note (3): Holidays and holiday periods bolded in red.

General Theater Count Key:
<100: Limited / 101-149: Wide / 150-199: Below Average / 200-249: Average / 250-299: Above Average / 300-349: Very Wide / >350: Optimal.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Aniplex Box-Office History
Corpse wrote:
Below is Aniplex's box-office history opening weekends from ~2012 until present with the new Sword Art Online.

I'll add the totals at a later date, but I'm posting this incomplete because I'm asking for some help here. It's oddly challenging to find a complete list of every Aniplex theatrical release (list of anime is easy enough, but not actual theatrical releases), so if I missed any (especially prior to 2012, but I could have missed others since), please let me know today, or over the next couple of days, and I'll look them up and add them to the list.

Once that's done, it'll make putting togethers the Totals list for all their films pretty quick and simple.

(NOTE: They must be the distributor (co-distributor is fine, like with Demon Slayer last year), and not just the production company.)

Aniplex Box-Office History

OPENING WEEKENDS:
¥3.354 billion ($31.9 million) / 2,509,986 [1,400+] - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
¥490.5 million ($4.5 million) / 276,795 [131] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II - Lost Butterfly (2019)
¥474.9 million ($4.5 million) / 274,017 [156] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song (2020)
¥425.7 million ($3.8 million) / 308,376 [151] - Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale (2017)
¥413.0 million ($3.7 million) / 247,507 [128] - Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel I - Presage Flower (2017)
¥400.0 million ($4.2 million) / 271,279 [129] - Magi Madoko Magica III - The Rebellion Story (2013)
¥349.6 million ($3.1 million) / 225,333 [233] - Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (2021)
¥257.1 million ($2.3 million) / 179,780 [251] - City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes (2019)
¥198.2 million ($2.1 million) / 161,225 [x64] - Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013)
¥173.9 million ($1.5 million) / 118,411 [135] - Natsume's Book of Friends (2018)
¥171.6 million ($2.2 million) / 117,413 [x43] - Magi Madoko Magica II - Eternal (2012)
¥171.5 million ($1.6 million) / 103,649 [178] - Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Part 1 (2020)
¥149.9 million ($1.4 million) / x81,262 [x39] - The Idolmaster Movie: Beyond the Brilliant Future! (2014)
¥140.6 million ($1.2 million) / x99,082 [142] - The Anthem of the Heart (2015)
¥138.5 million ($1.8 million) / x91,193 [x43] - Magi Madoko Magica I - Beginnings (2012)
¥136.3 million ($1.3 million) / x89,758 [121] - Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (2019)
¥106.9 million ($1.0 million) / x87,206 [169] - Let Me Eat Your Pancreas (2018)
¥102.8 million ($0.9 million) / x71,000 [100] - Fate/Grand Order - Final Singularity Grand Temple of Time: Solomon (2021)
¥101.0 million ($0.9 million) / x66,630 [x31] - Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl (2019)

List excludes sub-¥100 million opening weekends.

Unfortunately, I can't help you about the Aniplex opening weekends, but... just a minor correction, it's Puella Magi MadokA Magica :)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:06 pm
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (10/30-31); Charts Update
Hollywood film studios are having it rough in Japan this year, but among them for sure is Disney, and just like they did with
there recent releases they sure are making a mistake of Having Eternals going day-to-date in Japan and I feel like either Jan
or Feb 2022 would have been better. The fact that Encanto might face a boycott for a 30 day theatrical window rather than
following the standard Japanese theatrical window makes me worried as a both a Disney and Japanese pop culture fan for
Disney future in Japan as they shift their focus to streaming if they either continue do same day streaming/theatrical or either
shorter theatrical window. I wish that Disney would return to following the standard theatrical window in Japan.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766 ... 952  Next