Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (12/04-05); Charts Update
Spoiler: show
Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
JustLurking wrote:
Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
Sorry, I didn't meant that I expect ¥7B OW lining with Toho. But, if they can distribute 5M Novels to 5M visitors in OW, then it's equal to ¥7B. I am just on the Analyst projection of ¥3B OW, where ¥800M-¥1200M is the expected OD. Nevermind but I am aware that ¥7B OW is impossible. And it's what they think, not me. At least, I can assure you that I am not a crazy one.

Dude, you aren't reading. Distributing 5M gifts does not mean TOHO expects an OW of 5 million admissions, the gifts dont disappear after the OW. The same way toei wouldn't expect OP film gold to do 5M admissions on its ow, or toho wouldn't expect MHA3 to do 1.5M admissions on its ow.

If anything it says they atleast expect to hit those numbers throughout the entire film's run, not its OW. Hell 800M-1.2B seems too high of a window to me even, not sure based on what you're even saying that's expected.

Okay, you are correct, I am wrong. It's okay, if it doesn't make ¥800M-¥1200M, or ¥3B OW, it's just I am expecting. Okay, I don't mind if I am wrong here. I am sorry if I have hurted anyone. I will only post if there are any official updates (like tweets, pdf.....) Once again, I apologise. I hope that I don't repeat the same mistake.

Just to respond to this real quick... which will likely be pretty long, so be ready! LOL.

Feel free to post as usual, Kanroji. JustLurking is just making a point that specific giveaway figures doesn't necessarily mean the studio is expecting their film to sell the same number of tickets in a certain amount of days. Rather, it can be seen as sort of a "final" initial goal to reach. And if a film goes higher, then awesome!

In general, most giveaways above a certain number are expected to be handed out over the course of a film's run or over a big holiday period, not in the first weekend or first week. This is especially true for films that open just prior or during a major holiday period. A high giveaway figure helps support a film over the holiday period where many Japanese only go to theaters. Outside of the three major holiday weeks (New Year, Golden Week, and Obon Festival), a lot of Japanese don't go to theaters. So having a giveaway with a large printing being attached to a film during these weeks in particular is good strategy to help attract them to their movie since it's a rare chance to reach non-regular moviegoers.

Lastly, Japan is a market where "big" (relative to other markets) openings can't really happen. There are roughly ~500 theaters in the entire country for theatrical releases (all standard and all the various premium theater locations). But it's very difficult to get more than 400 theaters since that requires a sizable chunk of all premium locations (or at least all IMAX). And Japan has A LOT of films playing in theaters, more releases a year than almost any other country, so it's usually impossible to get most/all of the premium theaters upon opening (they're usually staggered).

Only a handful of films have ever gotten 400+ theaters. The ceiling for a theater count is usually around 375-380.

Demon Slayer pushed Japan's theatrical limit to its near max capacity last year. It received approx. 1.9/2 million seats nationwide. That's far and away a record (nearly double). The biggest films prior rarely broke 1 million seats, with ~1.2/1.3 million being the max. So Demon Slayer had around 5.7-6 million seats available that it could fill over its first 3-days, while the biggest films prior would have had around 3-3.5 million seats available over their first 3-days. But it's, of course, not possible to sell 100% of those seats. The early morning (6am-9am) and very late showings (11am-2am) can't realistically sell out, which leaves tens or even hundreds of thousands of seats unfilled. If a film sells out all their shows between 9am-11pm, which Demon Slayer very nearly did, then ~80% of all available seating can be achieved, which Demon Slayer also nearly did at ~77%.

So... the realistic max that Demon Slayer could have sold in a single day would have been ~1.5/1.6 million, and over its first 3-days given its far and away record seating would have been something like 4.5-4.8 million admissions. It sold 3.4 million tickets, which would have been ~71-76% of all its realistically available seating. And it did 76.9%, basically reaching the absolute max that an opening weekend in Japan can realistically achieve.

As for every other film besides Demon Slayer, the maximum admissions they could have reached over their 3-day opening weekends would have been 2.5-2.7 million admissions or so. And no film (Demon Slayer aside, again, as it just needs to be excluded at this point) has really been able to approach that as no 3-day opening weekends have ever reached 2 million.

Finally, we come to Jujutsu Kaisen's OW potential. It won't get near Demon Slayer's counts because the box-office is back to normal. It won't be able to command 60%+ of all screens in the country, and it won't be playing 21 hours a day. It'll receive a lot of seats, no question there, and quite possibly second only to Demon Slayer in history, but something around Frozen II/Detective Conan 24 (~1.6-1.8 million) is most likely. So that should be considered the limit of daily admissions, and taking off 20% for those early and late showings that can't realistically sell out, giving us a max of ~1.3/1.4 million seats a day, and ~3.9-4.2 million seats over the first 3-days. So the question becomes how many of those will the film manage to sell. If it would do ~50% or a little better (similar to the Detective Conan films), it *could* break 2 million admissions over the 3-day. And besides Demon Slayer, no other film in history has ever done this (or even close, really), so that'd be an incredible accomplishment if it can do it.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
JustLurking wrote:
Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
Sorry, I didn't meant that I expect ¥7B OW lining with Toho. But, if they can distribute 5M Novels to 5M visitors in OW, then it's equal to ¥7B. I am just on the Analyst projection of ¥3B OW, where ¥800M-¥1200M is the expected OD. Nevermind but I am aware that ¥7B OW is impossible. And it's what they think, not me. At least, I can assure you that I am not a crazy one.

Dude, you aren't reading. Distributing 5M gifts does not mean TOHO expects an OW of 5 million admissions, the gifts dont disappear after the OW. The same way toei wouldn't expect OP film gold to do 5M admissions on its ow, or toho wouldn't expect MHA3 to do 1.5M admissions on its ow.

If anything it says they atleast expect to hit those numbers throughout the entire film's run, not its OW. Hell 800M-1.2B seems too high of a window to me even, not sure based on what you're even saying that's expected.

Okay, you are correct, I am wrong. It's okay, if it doesn't make ¥800M-¥1200M, or ¥3B OW, it's just I am expecting. Okay, I don't mind if I am wrong here. I am sorry if I have hurted anyone. I will only post if there are any official updates (like tweets, pdf.....) Once again, I apologise. I hope that I don't repeat the same mistake.

I'm sorry if I came off as aggressive - I was just trying to make you understand my point! And for your personal prediction, it's fine to disagree on that, that's just an opinion.

All I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't assume because TOHO is giving it a 5M gift, that means they expect it to be gone for its OW - that's a wrong assumption.

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:10 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Jonathan wrote:
Corpse, do you know if Drive My Car had its official release in Japan already? IMDB says it opened there back in August but there aren't any reported numbers for it available, which is kind of surprising considering it is Japan's official Oscar submission, and having a solid run in US art houses right now.

I'll check on it later today. I don't recognize the title, so I know it didn't crack the Top 10 and probably came no where close since it was a Bitter End (small independent distributor) release. Assuming it at least got inside the Top 25, I can give a rough estimate on what it's earned.

Hopefully it gets nominated at the Academy Awards though! Feel like it's been quite some time since a Japanese film has really be in contention.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Back to this weekend,

Your Turn to Kill opened quite well, likely coming close to ¥350 million / 250,000 admissions. This will probably result in a finish near ¥2.5 billion, maybe a little more.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage dropped over 40% in its second weekend as expected of a Marvel/DC film. Its weekdays were also pretty weak, so just all the normal frontload signs that the genre experiences. There's a chance it reaches ¥2.5 billion, but it'll likely fall a little short.

Arashi has been holding better and better, and might have achieved a 20% hold or better in its third weekend. Might seem surprising that a largely exclusive fanbase film with ticket prices more than double the general admission fee would hold well after opening, but it's not, really. It'll only slow down once the hundreds of thousands of diehard fans stop going to see it (it's like going to concerts, basically). So, should be over ¥3 billion after three weeks, and likely aiming for ¥4-5 billion.

And in general, all the others films in the Top 10 continue to hold good to great. Lots of 20-30% sort of holds again.

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Actually, it went a little harsh. I actually know that ¥7B OW is impossible but the industry insiders says that "if they managed" not "they predicted" then 5M visitors will be equal to ¥7B. Not, that I meant, or they mean that ¥7B is possible. I am fully aware that ¥7B OW is impossible, when, a film has a lot of competition, and also what Corpse pointed out over with explaination. But, when, my expectations of max ¥3B OW or ¥800M-¥1.2B OD is considered as more than a ceiling, then, it's has heated me up. It's ok, if my projection does not satisfy any equation for JJK Movie 0. But, atleast, I expect that no one consider me as crazy &therefore, I apologise if anyone was hurted by my observation on a particular film. Yeah, it's true that being JJK fan, I have huge expectations, and sometimes, I do write crazy answer due to my frustrations. So, I sincerely apologise for my behavior.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Kanroji don't apologize (we shouldn't do that here, even if others are hurt it's your opinion or expectation and we respect everyone here including JustLurking). We are a group that laughs, fights and debates together.

I'm excited to see how JJK 0 does. It will be wonderful if it broke past non-DS records, not only good for the movie and fans but for the industry in general and it will help manga circulation another year. (Not a big fan of the series btw but still love it and very excited to see what comes next).

I forgot to add that gritty optimism has sometimes led to mammoth unexpected victories (not expecting one here though). I just hope Jjk gets past 10B mark first. Anything else will be a gravy on top.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Indeed. Be enthusiastic and have high expectations. Just have "reserved" expectations in place just in case. :wink:

Because "just" opening to ¥1 billion and grossing over ¥5 billion would be a pretty big success, so I don't want that sort of scenario to be considered disappointing either. Certain figures (¥5 billion is considered blockbuster status, roughly the equivalent of ¥250 million in the U.S.) can look "disappointing", when they're not, following a film that manages to break all the records And if it can manage something similar to the recent Detective Conan films. that'd be quite staggering, really.

Personally, I am expecting an opening somewhere around ¥2 billion for the 3-day (hard to say what the 2-day will be since the 24th, its opening day, isn't the strongest day, but it's also an anniversary date for the event that occurs in the film itself, so... interesting dynamic there). And that'd likely get it to around ¥10 billion or so.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

That's pretty much what I expect as well. If it manages to open on par with conan movies, I think it will end up outgrossing them due to toho pushing harder with gifts than a typical conan movie would receive.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:08 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

A ton of theaters (likely a clear majority, like 65/75%+) are dropping Eternals on Dec. 16th. It's still hanging in around the Top 12 as of this weekend (Dec. 11-12th), but the upcoming Disney+ debut is going to cut it short/end its run ahead of the upcoming holidays.

Likewise, I expect Encanto will be dropped next week (Dec. 23rd) since it debuts on Disney+ even earlier. It'll still be in the Top 10 when it's dropped, just a day away from Christmas Week.

Please, please... let this be the last of these theatrical window releases from Disney. Being dropped just ahead of one of the biggest holiday periods of the year is silly.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:52 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Disney needs to start filtering content on D+ based on geography. It's just not worth it releasing their titles in Japan this soon.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:15 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Teaser trailer for Studio Ponoc's (founded by former Studio Ghibli staff when Ghibli disbanded) latest, The Imaginary, was released this week:

『屋根裏のラジャー』ティザービジュアル(C)2022 Ponoc

Summer 2022 release, very likely July or August. The Imaginary will be Studio Ponoc's first film since 2017's Mary and the Witch's Flower.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And since Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is only 10 days away, I'll share its exclusive IMAX poster just in case anyone missed it (it was released two weeks back, I think.)

Kind of unfortunate timing for The Matrix's debut this upcoming week since Jujutsu Kaisen is receiving every IMAX location.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And the full version of the movie's theme song, "Ichizu" (One Way) by King Gnu, was released over the weekend:

Digital: https://va.lnk.to/3dH51J
Physical: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BVCL-1197

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Corpse wrote:
Indeed. Be enthusiastic and have high expectations. Just have "reserved" expectations in place just in case. :wink:

Because "just" opening to ¥1 billion and grossing over ¥5 billion would be a pretty big success, so I don't want that sort of scenario to be considered disappointing either. Certain figures (¥5 billion is considered blockbuster status, roughly the equivalent of ¥250 million in the U.S.) can look "disappointing", when they're not, following a film that manages to break all the records And if it can manage something similar to the recent Detective Conan films. that'd be quite staggering, really.

Personally, I am expecting an opening somewhere around ¥2 billion for the 3-day (hard to say what the 2-day will be since the 24th, its opening day, isn't the strongest day, but it's also an anniversary date for the event that occurs in the film itself, so... interesting dynamic there). And that'd likely get it to around ¥10 billion or so.

Only 5x legs for JJK ? and 2 billion would be the 2nd best OW of all time after DS ?

Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, the multiplier is from the opening weekend itself (Sat. and Sun.). So if it would reach ¥2 billion for the 3-day, I'm guessing that'd be something like... ¥1.3/1.4 billion, maybe, for the weekend. (Very hard to determine how much Friday will account for.) This is just a rough guess right now, assuming it does open with something comparable to Detective Conan. (The Detective Conan franchise has basically become the top-tier openers in the market now. Almost nothing can match them.)

If we're looking at 3-day openings, it has a shot at being #2 all-time. Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet achieved the 3rd biggest 3-day opening ever just earlier this year. But the opening weekend chart (just the 2-day) will be very hard to rank particularly high on since that list is full of many early/mid-00s films with tons of previews included in their openings.

It's going to be fairly frontloaded than not though, I expect. There haven't been any signs of the anime/manga reaching a very broad, casual moviegoing audience (it's not going to appeal to many children or senior citizens, for example), and I doubt it manages to bring in the non-moviegoer audience (which chart topping songs/soundtracks can often do, and JJK's music, while popular, hasn't reached that sort of status).

So this will likely be a largely fanbase driven film, so a multiplier also similar to the Detective Conan films shouldn't be too surprising or unexpected. I'm guessing a ~6 going off that. Which is fine. Its first 18-days are also, more or less, occurring over all holidays/weekends so it'll be firing on all cylinders pretty much out of the gate and over its first three weeks in release, and then it'll likely see a sharp declines from week 4 onward.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (12/11-12)
Weekend Actuals (12/11-12)
01 (---) ¥342,000,000 ($3.01 million), 0, ¥447,186,350 ($3.9 million), Your Turn to Kill (Toho) NEW
02 (01) ¥249,279,480 ($2.20 million), -45%, ¥1,139,257,180 ($10.0 million), Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Sony) WK2
03 (02) ¥237,961,600 ($2.10 million), -21%, ¥3,142,628,040 ($27.7 million), Arashi Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories" (Shochiku) WK3
04 (03) ¥x86,730,690 ($764,000), -31%, ¥522,439,250 ($4.5 million), Encanto (Disney) WK3
05 (04) ¥x53,521,800 ($471,000), -28%, ¥1,025,155,830 ($9.0 million), Sumikko Gurashi: The Magical Child of the Blue Moonlit Night (Asmik Ace) WK6
06 (05) ¥x44,298,300 ($390,000), -27%, ¥1,524,399,540 ($13.5 million), And, the Baton Was Passed (Warner Bros.) WK7
07 (---) ¥x35,000,000 ($308,000), 0, ¥x50,000,000 ($0.4 million), Last Night in Soho (Parco) NEW
08 (07) ¥x27,027,800 ($238,000), -19%, ¥1,326,146,793 ($11.7 million), Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (Aniplex) WK7
09 (06) ¥x25,488,650 ($224,000), -31%, ¥1,284,242,100 ($11.3 million), What Did You Eat Yesterday? (Toho) WK6
10 (09) ¥x19,791,720 ($174,000), -38%, ¥205,800,360 ($1.8 million), Dear Evan Hansen (Toho-Towa) WK3

>Your Turn To Kill debuts well atop the weekend box-office, selling 244,000 admissions over the weekend frame across 353 screens, and 320,857 admissions over its first three-days in release. Legs for mid-December releases tend to be pretty strong, so this opening should get it above ¥2.5 billion ($25 million).

>Venom: Let There Be Carnage sees a large second weekend drop, but as usual for Marvel/DC releases, this is just standard business regardless of reception due to their audience. What concerned me, though, were how poor its weekdays were going into the weekend. I'm going to have to lower its chance of hitting ¥2.5 billion considerably, so expect a finish probably barely above ¥2 billion (~$20 million). Still pretty good for Marvel/DC, but it'll have to hold at least a little better moving forward to get there.

>Arashi Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories" is beginning to hold better and better, and is already above the ¥3 billion milestone on 980,251 admissions. It's probably going to continue to hold well throughout most of its run, so look forward to a total north of ¥4 billion ($35-40 million).

>Sumikko Gurashi exceeded the ¥1 billion milestone after its seventh weekend in release, becoming 2021's final film to be added to the list.

>Last Night in Soho is an estimate. It wasn't even reported by the bunkatsushin, but it ranked 7th over the weekend in admissions. If its weekend gross is revealed tomorrow, I'll update this post with the figures.

>And, the Baton Was Passed broke the ¥1.5 billion mark, continuing its impressive run for Warner Bros. After seven weeks, its multiplier is up to x9.64, and it'll exceed x10 next week. It'll become one of the leggiest films of 2021 when it finishes.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Top Opening Weekends 2022
Top Opening Weekends: 2022
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Screen Count] - Film (Distributor)

¥1 billion ↨
¥500 million ↨
¥455.6 million ($4.0 million) / 302,443 [839] - Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Sony)
¥342.0 million ($3.0 million) / 244,000 [353] - Your Turn to Kill (Toho)

¥300 million ↨
¥200 million ↨
¥100 million ↑

Legend:
¥1 billion+ (Exemplary) / ¥500 million+ (Great) / ¥300 million+ (Good) / ¥200 million+ (Acceptable) / ¥100 million+ (Mediocre)

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Top Grossing Films 2021
Top Grossing Films: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Days In Release] - Film (Distributor)

¥10.28 billion ($94.0 million) / 6.72 million [F] - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (Toho/Toei/Khara)
¥10 billion ↨
¥7.55 billion ($69.6 million) / 5.40 million [F] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet (Toho)
¥6.53 billion ($59.3 million) / 4.70 million [F] - Belle (Toho)

¥5 billion ↨
¥4.47 billion ($40.8 million) / 3.35 million [F] - Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.)
¥4.35 billion ($39.9 million) / 3.09 million [F] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥4.03 billion ($38.3 million) / 3.00 million [F] - New Interpretation Record of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥3.81 billion ($36.5 million) / 2.83 million [F] - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet (Tokyo Theaters, Co./Little More)
¥3.78 billion ($34.1 million) / 2.76 million [87] - Masquerade Night (Toho)
¥3.64 billion ($33.1 million) / 2.40 million [E] - F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa)
¥3.37 billion ($30.8 million) / 2.43 million [E] - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho)
¥3.14 billion ($27.7 million) / 0.98 million [17] - Arashi Anniversary Tour 5x20 FILM "Record of Memories" (Shochiku)

¥3 billion ↨
¥2.78 billion ($26.9 million) / 2.26 million [F] - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho)
¥2.69 billion ($24.0 million) / 1.86 million [73] - 007: No Time to Die (Toho-Towa)
¥2.50 billion ($22.8 million) / 1.77 million [F] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (Warner Bros.)
¥2.47 billion ($23.6 million) / 1.79 million [E] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)
¥2.21 billion ($20.0 million) / 1.09 million [F] - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (Shochiku)
¥2.16 billion ($20.5 million) / 0.79 million [F] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥2.01 billion ($19.1 million) / 1.56 million [F] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)

¥2 billion ↨
¥1.90 billion ($18.3 million) / 1.37 million [F] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥1.88 billion ($17.2 million) / 1.25 million [E] - Godzilla vs. Kong (Toho)
¥1.77 billion ($17.1 million) / 1.50 million [F] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥1.71 billion ($15.6 million) / 1.44 million [E] - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy (Toho)
¥1.53 billion ($13.9 million) / 1.10 million [E] - Character (Toho)
¥1.52 billion ($13.5 million) / 1.15 million [45] - And, the Baton Was Passed (Warner Bros.)
¥1.38 billion ($12.5 million) / 1.01 million [E] - The Fable II (Shochiku)
¥1.33 billion ($11.7 million) / 0.88 million [44] - Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night (Aniplex)
¥1.28 billion ($11.3 million) / 0.95 million [40] - What Did You Eat Yesterday? (Toho)
¥1.23 billion ($11.5 million) / 0.83 million [E] - Monster Hunter (Toho-Towa)
¥1.21 billion ($11.1 million) / 0.88 million [E] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi (Toho) *Compilation*
¥1.19 billion ($10.5 million) / 0.78 million [38] - Eternals (Disney)
¥1.18 billion ($10.3 million) / 0.92 million [44] - I Don't Have Any Money Left in My Retirement Account! (Toei)
¥1.17 billion ($10.8 million) / 0.91 million [E] - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie (Toho)
¥1.14 billion ($10.0 million) / 0.86 million [E] - Baragaki: Unbroken Samurai (Toho/Asmik Ace)
¥1.03 billion ($9.0 million) / 0.83 million [38] - Sumikko Gurashi: The Magical Child of the Blue Moonlit Night (Asmik Ace)
¥1.01 billion ($9.3 million) / 0.88 million [E] - A Morning of Farewell (Toei)
¥1.01 billion ($9.1 million) / 0.79 million [E] - Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho)

¥1 billion ↑
¥974.0 million ($8.9 million) / 0.76 million [E] - Honey Lemon Soda (Shin-Toho)
¥960.0 million ($8.8 million) / 0.63 million [E] - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney)
¥900.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.60 million [E] - Black Widow (Disney)
¥845.5 million ($8.0 million) / 0.64 million [E] - Liar x Liar (Asmik Ace)
¥838.7 million ($7.7 million) / 0.66 million [E] - Brave: Gunjyo Senki (Toho)
¥821.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.58 million [E] - Jungle Cruise (Disney)
¥817.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.61 million [E] - Signal: The Movie (Toho)
¥808.1 million ($7.2 million) / 0.63 million [E] - In the Wake (Shochiku)
¥789.5 million ($7.3 million) / 0.65 million [E] - Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros.)
¥782.5 million ($7.1 million) / 0.57 million [E] - Last of the Wolves (Toei)
¥761.1 million ($6.7 million) / 0.48 million [59] - Dune (Warner Bros.)
¥741.7 million ($6.6 million) / 0.59 million [E] - Laws of the Universe: The Age of Elohim (Nikkatsu)
¥670.0 million ($6.1 million) / 0.51 million [E] - Hell's Garden (Warner Bros.)
¥638.1 million ($6.2 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Tengaramon (Giggly Box)
¥635.5 million ($5.8 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Kiba: The Fangs of Fiction (Shochiku)
¥634.9 million ($6.0 million) / 0.47 million [E] - Jukai Village (Toei)
¥614.9 million ($5.6 million) / 0.50 million [E] - Beautiful Lure - A Modern Tale of "Painted Skin" (Nikkatsu)
¥585.0 million ($5.4 million) / 0.41 million [E] - Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku)
¥579.1 million ($5.3 million) / 0.39 million [E] - The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
¥563.0 million ($4.9 million) / 0.48 million [E] - Tropical-Rouge! Precure: Snow Princess and Miraculous Ring (Toei)
¥546.5 million ($5.2 million) / 0.44 million [E] - Under the Open Sky (Warner Bros.)
¥534.7 million ($5.1 million) / 0.37 million [E] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)
¥522.4 million ($4.5 million) / 0.41 million [17] - Encanto (Disney)

¥500 million ↑

Legend:
¥10 billion+ (Uber-Blockbuster) / ¥5 billion+ (Blockbuster) / ¥3 billion+ (Hit) / ¥2 billion+ (Respectable) / ¥1 billion+ (Commercial Success)

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
It's going to be fairly frontloaded than not though, I expect. There haven't been any signs of the anime/manga reaching a very broad, casual moviegoing audience (it's not going to appeal to many children or senior citizens, for example), and I doubt it manages to bring in the non-moviegoer audience (which chart topping songs/soundtracks can often do, and JJK's music, while popular, hasn't reached that sort of status).

The JJK 0 song did well, nothing crazy though.
Spoiler: show

But I do am curious, how come songs like this which would barely even be in the movie (usually relegated to end credits) can have that much of an impact?

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (12/11-12); Charts Update
Good question! That's because music (songs, soundtracks) is the best source of drawing casual moviegoers and the non-moviegoers to theaters.

Japan has a pretty finite moviegoing audience that mostly tops out between 10-11 million people. A regular film isn't going to go beyond this number on its own (at least not much higher). It needs something to assist in drawing in the more casual and non-moviegoers to see it, which can be equal to/or greater than the usual moviegoing audience itself in the market. Japan is the third biggest market in the world, but if you look at its population versus smaller markets like the UK or Germany, its box office admissions, while higher, aren't as high in comparison as you'd think.

Books and manga can be a source, but music is a much greater source. Books/manga (or another material source) has to be sought out, and still confines the audience to those who have bought and read them. And there are those that just aren't interested in books/manga. They require an investment of both time and money, arguably the most important things to give up.

Music is different. Popular songs/soundtracks can be heard without being sought out. It can reach just about anyone, and it may not even cost any money. You can hear them on the radio, on the TV (be it a special music broadcast or in a TV show itself), at the malls, from your friends and family, and so on. Music is very easy to get out to people with little/no effort, especially when it reaches enough popularity.

And pretty much everyone *enjoys* music. If a song/soundtrack is enjoyed by enough people, there's usually a reason. This helps it spread person-to-person, family-to-family. And it doesn't have to be because of the movie/TV show, etc. that it's even featured in. You can enjoy the music on its own with no knowledge of what it's featured in or who it's by.

But the key here, and how it very often improves a film that has a popular song/soundtrack, is that some of those people are going to go seek out where the song/soundtrack is coming from. Who is it by? What movie/TV show is it from? And in doing that, that movie or TV show is gaining an audience they wouldn't have without it. And for the box-office, this allows a film to breakout beyond that 10-11 million moviegoer cap to reach otherwise unreachable success. And it's not just a boon for huge films either. It can help bring in new audiences for the smallest of films as well.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

That's interesting. I always thought theme songs were more of an afterthought considering they usually aren't even "properly" in the movie (contrary to, say, an anime opening), never thought they could hold so much importance in the market.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Just announced by Toho, Jujutsu Kaisen 0 will be receiving midnight showings at 8 of their Toho Cinemas, which are basically their busiest locations, with half being among the busiest locations nationwide. Midnights can be added to the opening weekend (3-day anyway) since, well, they occur at the start of Friday.

Aeon Cinemas and United Cinemas will be offering special concession items (cups, buckets, candy, etc.) featuring art from the series. This can drive repeats if fans want to collect these items, but go to Toho Cinemas (or another chain) to see it first.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

If Tobey and Andrew are in NWH (which is apparently the case even if it is not yet certain), will its box office be more important in Japan than if they weren't there ?

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Jonathan wrote:
Corpse, do you know if Drive My Car had its official release in Japan already? IMDB says it opened there back in August but there aren't any reported numbers for it available, which is kind of surprising considering it is Japan's official Oscar submission, and having a solid run in US art houses right now.

I was going to apologize for taking longer to get these numbers than I should have, but good thing I did because they were officially announced today following its Golden Globe nomination AND Best Picture Win at one of the critics awards (Boston, maybe?)!

It has grossed ¥200 million (~$1.8 million) in Japan. Assuming it continues to do very well this award season with more nominations (and wins), especially if it gets nominated in the Foreign Language Category at the Oscars, then expect that total to go up quite a bit as it'll reach a far wider release than it was originally given.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

LPLC wrote:
If Tobey and Andrew are in NWH (which is apparently the case even if it is not yet certain), will its box office be more important in Japan than if they weren't there ?

Yeah. The Holland/MCU films are doing good, but they have earned slightly less than the Garfield films, and obviously MUCH less (less than half) than the Maguire films (which remain the 3 biggest superhero movies ever).

How much will it help? Hard to say. No Way Home is very likely to outgross the previous two films, but expecting it to say double up on them is probably asking too much. If it receives a similar boost that Endgame saw over Infinity War (a whopping 70/75% increase or so, forget the exact percentage off the top of my head), it has a chance at reaching ¥5 billion+. Any bigger boost than that is certainly going into very unrealistic territory. And if it would reach ¥5 billion, it'd become only the 6th Marvel/DC film to ever achieve blockbuster status in Japan. So I think that's a very high target, but also within the realistic realm of possibility and expectations here.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774 ... 952  Next