Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 23784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Widest Releases Update
I guess if Kimetsu had not been popular, the media would have not exaggerated the issue that much. I totally agree with Corpse because Ufotable's main source of income is from cafe and merchandise. Without the support from fans, their business may be in a dire situation.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:33 pm
Aspiring Director

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Widest Releases Update
Corpse wrote:
Japan's a country where a good reputation and public image is very important to maintain. Scandals of many kinds (some that might be seen as "bad", but mostly brushed off by many) can not just damage careers, but it can outright end them. So Ufotable's former president being found guilty of years (and millions) worth of tax evasion is really damaging. Not just to the former president (his future is basically over), but the company will need to work really hard to recover the trust of fans and the general public alike.

While true, I think Tax evasion is probably one of the least damaging crimes you can commit in Japan, there are several people that did it and they are still working fine and most people seems to have forgot about it, Log Horizon Author and Ken Mogi for example, and for Kondo in particular, as least within the anime industry, his name is still mentioned normally is some interviews and not considered a taboo like when it sometimes happens in Japan, Nasu(Fate creator) mentioned him about Tsukihime opening animation and Daiki Sakurai(Netflix Chief producer of anime) talked about an old interview with him.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Estimates (09-18/19)
Weekend Estimates (09/18-19)
01 (---) ¥520,000,000 ($4.74 million), 0, ¥670,000,000 ($6.1 million), Masquerade Night (Toho) NEW
02 (---) ¥x90,000,000 ($820,000), 0, ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million), Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku) NEW
03 (03) ¥x73,000,000 ($665,000), -12%, ¥6,125,000,000 ($55.9 million), Belle (Toho) WK10
04 (---) ¥x70,000,000 ($635,000), 0, ¥100,000,000 ($0.9 million), Reminiscence (Warner Bros.) NEW
05 (02) ¥x64,000,000 ($580,000), -50%, ¥795,000,000 ($7.3 million), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) WK3
06 (01) ¥x56,000,000 ($510,000), -64%, ¥3,105,000,000 ($28.2 million), My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho) WK7
07 (04) ¥x36,000,000 ($330,000), -42%, ¥3,530,000,000 ($32.3 million), F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa) WK7
08 (07) ¥x33,000,000 ($300,000), -32%, ¥4,295,000,000 ($39.3 million), Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.) WK11
09 (05) ¥x32,000,000 ($290,000), -45%, ¥385,000,000 ($3.6 million), The Woman of S.R.I.: The Movie (Toei) WK3
10 (06) ¥x30,000,000 ($275,000), -44%, ¥860,000,000 ($7.9 million), Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho) WK5

I'm not going to go too in-depth with the analysis in the Weekend Estimates here. Instead, I'm going to wait until Monday to put together a 3-Day Holiday Weekend Estimates post and discuss the Top 10 then. Monday is a national holiday, so actuals will be delayed at least until Tuesday, but it's possible that Silver Week might complicate the reports this week. Thursday is also a national holiday.

That said, Masquerade Night dominated the weekend frame and is likely to do so over the Silver Week holiday week as expected. It'll exceed ¥3 billion (~$30 million) with this start (which is likely deflated from widespread late-night restrictions + upcoming holiday week), and should be aiming for ¥4 billion (~$40 million), but let's see what tomorrow's holiday brings in and Silver Week itself before projecting too far ahead.

Free! The Final Stroke opened well, and I feel this is one of the best debut for the franchise. This is the 5th film, I believe, final film, this weekend's release being part one. I'll go back and see how the franchise has performed in the past when I put together the 3-Day Holiday Weekend Estimates tomorrow.

Reminiscence looks to have disappointed.

Some hefty declines for the holdovers, but it's possible they suffered a bit just from moviegoers waiting until Monday or Thursday this week (the two national holidays over Silver Week this year), so I wouldn't read too much into them. My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission dropped understandably hard since it came off a 55% increase last weekend. And Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings dropping around 50% isn't really unusual for most Marvel/DC films (they're largely frontloaded regardless of reception).

You will see that Belle held amazingly again though (it was even roughly flat on Sunday versus last Sunday, or saw a single-digit decline), so look for it to deliver great results over the holiday week.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Estimates (09/18-19); Holiday Tom
I wonder why Japanese like anime with western themes like Belle and other Ghibli's movies (Kiki, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the sky, etc.), but they don't like Disney cartoon much.

By the way, October 3rd may be the release date of Kimetsu's Season 2. Both anime, which air on 23:15 every Sunday, on BS 11 and Tokyo MX end this week and next week, respectively. These 2 channels are among 30 channels (highest in the history of anime broadcasting) that will air Season 2.
https://youtu.be/1tmVaXQQPS8?t=433
Season 1 held the record for the first anime to airing on 21 channels in 2019, now Season 2 will break that record.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:34 pm
Waitress in LA

Corpse wrote:
02 (---) ¥x90,000,000 ($820,000), 0, ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million), Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku) NEW

Free! The Final Stroke opened well, and I feel this is one of the best debut for the franchise. This is the 5th film, I believe, final film, this weekend's release being part one. I'll go back and see how the franchise has performed in the past when I put together the 3-Day Holiday Weekend Estimates tomorrow.

High Speed! earned 95,546,400 yen in 120 theatres over its first weekend. It ended up with 691,000,000 yen through its run.

Free! Timeless Medley - The Bond earned 43,000,000 yen in 31 theatres over its first weekend. It ended up with 270,000,000 yen through its run. It expanded to another 28 theatres after its fourth weekend and consisted of recapping part of the second anime season.

Free! Timeless Medley - The Promise earned 70,000,000 yen in 59 theatres over its first weekend. It ended up with 288,000,000 yen through its run. This was another film that recapped events in the second season focusing on different characters.

(Special Series) Free! - Take Your Marks! - earned 75,788,600 yen in 72 theatres over its first weekend. It ended up with 346,000,000 yen through its run. This was "a film" but consisted of four TV episodes put together into one film rather than a singular story. The home video release actually puts opening and ending credits scenes for the episodes unlike the theatrical screening, which just had one opening and ending credits scene.

Free! Road to the World - The Dream opened with 73,799,100 yen in 73 theatres over its first weekend. It ended up with over 425,199,500 yen (final results never published) through its run. This film was in theatres during the KyoAni arson event in July 2019, so a lot of fans supported the studio by paying to see it, thus its higher end box office. This was also a recap film for the TV series' 3rd season.

Free! The Final Stroke has 151 theatres showing it this weekend, the highest amount for the franchise. That would likely lead to the highest opening box office for the franchise simply by itself. Not noted in these numbers is the amount of merchandise the franchise sells; several theatres sold out of the merchandise on the first day it was screening. Also note that the film was originally scheduled for 2020; the arson and coronavirus situation delayed it until now, so fan enthusiasm has decreased since then.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

You saved me a lot of time going back and looking them up! Thanks!

So, at the very least, this was the second best debut for the franchise, but could have edged out High Speed! depending on its average ticket price. Also, it opened on Friday, which burned off a lot of demand over the weekend frame. Friday, in fact, was its biggest single day. That only ever happens to films that are only attracting a fanbase.

So the 3-day total is likely a franchise record. High Speed! opened in 2015 before domestic films moved mostly to Friday opening days instead of Saturday, so almost no doubt Final Stroke would have beaten it pretty easily in its opening weekend frame if it was given a Saturday start.

Looking at the totals... Final Stroke Part 1 has a good chance of becoming the highest grossing film in the franchise. Very good weekend heading into Silver Week with a holiday Monday and holiday Thursday.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I've mentioned "fan-driven" films a number of times in recent weeks, so just let me take a post to explain to anyone new (or reading) that some films in Japan are supported pretty much ONLY by the diehard fanbase OR a very specific demographic.

They're much different than say a Star Wars or Marvel film that has a large fanbase in the U.S. or somewhere else. While those type of films do attract a lot of fans, it's not ONLY diehard fans. They also attract families and a good amount of the general audience. But the audience of a fan-driven film in Japan, such as Free! here, can easily be 90%+ of its audience.

This is also true for non fan-driven films too in some cases. Sometimes romantic films are almost only being seen by females, for example. There have been a number of films that have 85-95% female attendance (I remember one film back in like...2011 or something getting 97.4% female share). This is also true for very young skewing films (think Crayon Shin-chan) that almost only attract elementary (or younger) aged children and their parents/families. If I remember correctly, the Yo-Kai Watch films were doing something like 95% of its audience consisting of only very young children and their parents. Same thing is true for films that appeal to/attract salarymen which see similarly high percentage shares of their audience being males of a certain age-group (like 25-55).

I've also mentioned how few films ever really have audience overlap in Japan to the point of it impacting one or both films, and that most films have a pretty set or pre-determined audience that is either planning to see it ahead of release or will once it's in theaters. This is another key reason why this occurs and how you see what seem like similar films being released very close to one another in the market, but their audiences are certainly not alike. July, for example, used to see major Pixar films, Ghibli films, Pokemon films, and more animated films like Anpanman all releasing in the same month or even weekend. They all largely had their own audience so competition wasn't a concern, and with the help of summer, pretty much always succeeded.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm
Profile WWW

Hello Corpse, how much do you think Spider-Man: No Way Home grosses in Japan?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:52 am
Waitress in LA

MSFK wrote:
I wonder why Japanese like anime with western themes like Belle and other Ghibli's movies (Kiki, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the sky, etc.), but they don't like Disney cartoon much.

It’s quite simple, really. American animation, especially Disney/Pixar, has lost its magic. Personally, I haven’t seen an American cartoon in such a long time, and I’m not really looking forward to any in the near future.

In general, Disney films nowadays (animated and live-action) feel like cold corporate products without a beating heart underneath. There is no creative vision or artistic touch. They don’t even seem to be made by human beings. They all feel like advertisements for the Disney brand, cynical attempts to maximize profit and to pander to political sensitivities. Can you imagine something like The Black Cauldron or Something Wicked This Way Comes being made today?

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 am
Wall-E

This seems like a circlejerk over a problem that I quite frankly do not see at all.

Frozen was a juggernaut at the time, taking #3 all-time (#4 now) and quite certainly was going to beat titanic and take #2 had disney allowed it to play longer. Frozen 2, while certainly a big drop from 1, still had huge results in the country. Big hero 6, Zootopia and Moana were all big movies in the market, and even for pixar toy story 4 exceeded the 10 billion mark.

Even on the live action side Disney had huge performers in the market recently with Aladdin and Beauty and the beast both exceeding 12 billion. I just don't get why you seem to think Japan has a dislike for disney, which doesn't seem to be correct at all from my perspective.

Their releases this year did not perform well, true, but there were a number of issues preventing them from doing well underneath, such as the toho boycott.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Momori wrote:

If you go back and check one of the last couple of pages, I discussed this one a little.

In short, it'll likely at least match its two predecessors (Homecoming grossed ¥2.8 billion; Far From Home grossed ¥3.06 billion), but I would expect a decent bump given the novelty factor it'll have by bringing back characters from the preceding franchises (at least if they do bring back Maguire and Garfield as rumored).

But I wouldn't expect anything nearly as high as the first three Spider-Man films. They remain the three biggest Marvel/DC films in the market (both totals and opening weekends), and I wouldn't expect this new film to more than double either of its predecessors to challenge them when Endgame, which increased 64% over Infinity War in Japan, wasn't even enough.

I'm thinking around ¥3.5/4.0 billion. And welcome to the forum! Consider posting more!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And regarding the Disney talk...

I don't think we've had a chance to see Disney's actual status in the market since 2019. They either pushed their 2020 slate into 2021 or didn't even bother releasing them (Mulan, Soul). And their 2021 slate was already pretty weak on paper, only Raya and the Last Dragon and Luca likely having box office hit potential. But Raya and the Last Dragon was a major bomb thanks to releasing on Disney+ which prompted the boycott by Toho and other chains. And then they pulled Luca from the theatrical schedule all together...

Their presence at the box-office since 2019 has been really, really bad, but it's mostly their own doing. They went from the 2nd biggest distributor behind Toho on a yearly basis to, I'm guessing, 7th or something in the market from 2020-2021. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is going to reach ¥1 billion (~$10 million), and barely much more, so that'll be considered a 'success", but this could be their ONLY ¥1 billion earner from all of 2020 and 2021.

I don't know what's happening with Encanto, but I'm guessing it'll bomb if it's released. It doesn't have a release date in Japan at this time (probably ruling out November), and since it'll be going to Disney+ on December 24th, any date from that point on subjects it to the boycott. So we'll have to wait until Lightyear in Summer 2022 or later before finally having a real release to test Disney's theatrical status in Japan following all of this. Early-Mid 2022 has a number of Marvel films, but in general those don't do particularly well and are limited to a (smaller) group of fans in the market without Spider-Man included.

This largely points to Disney+ being crippling to their box office prospects in Japan, and until they stop releasing their films same-day, or even shortly thereafter (Japan is a very leggy market), on the platform, they may continue to struggle. Note: Even most chains that aren't boycotting the Disney+ releases from day one are dropping them after 5 weeks in release.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

01 (---) ¥520,000,000 ($4.74 million), 0, ¥670,000,000 ($6.1 million), Masquerade Night (Toho) NEW
03 (03) ¥x73,000,000 ($665,000), -12%, ¥6,125,000,000 ($55.9 million), Belle (Toho) WK10
04 (---) ¥x70,000,000 ($635,000), 0, ¥100,000,000 ($0.9 million), Reminiscence (Warner Bros.) NEW
05 (02) ¥x64,000,000 ($580,000), -50%, ¥795,000,000 ($7.3 million), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) WK3
06 (01) ¥x56,000,000 ($510,000), -64%, ¥3,105,000,000 ($28.2 million), My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho) WK7
07 (04) ¥x36,000,000 ($330,000), -42%, ¥3,530,000,000 ($32.3 million), F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa) WK7
08 (07) ¥x33,000,000 ($300,000), -32%, ¥4,295,000,000 ($39.3 million), Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.) WK11
09 (05) ¥x32,000,000 ($290,000), -45%, ¥385,000,000 ($3.6 million), The Woman of S.R.I.: The Movie (Toei) WK3
10 (06) ¥x30,000,000 ($275,000), -44%, ¥860,000,000 ($7.9 million), Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho) WK5

Respect for the Aged Holiday Estimates (09/20)
01 (---) ¥270,000,000 ($2.46 million), 0, ¥940,000,000 ($8.6 million), Masquerade Night (Toho) Day 4
02 (03) ¥x45,000,000 ($410,000), +188%, ¥6,170,000,000 ($56.3 million), Belle (Toho) Day 67
03 (02) ¥x34,000,000 ($310,000), +53%, ¥829,000,000 ($7.6 million), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) Day 18
04 (01) ¥x30,000,000 ($275,000), +34%, ¥3,135,000,000 ($28.5 million), My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho) Day 46
05 (---) ¥x30,000,000 ($275,000), 0, ¥130,000,000 ($1.2 million), Reminiscence (Warner Bros.) Day 4
06 (---) ¥x27,000,000 ($245,000), 0, ¥177,000,000 ($1.6 million), Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku) Day 4
07 (04) ¥x19,000,000 ($175,000), +40%, ¥404,000,000 ($3.7 million), The Woman of S.R.I.: The Movie (Toei) Day 18
08 (06) ¥x18,000,000 ($165,000), +146%, ¥878,000,000 ($8.0 million), Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho) Day 32
09 (08) ¥x17,000,000 ($155,000), +121%, ¥4,312,000,000 ($39.4 million), Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.) Day 74
10 (05) ¥x17,000,000 ($155,000), +44%, ¥3,547,000,000 ($32.4 million), F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa) Day 46

Monday's % changes versus last Monday at the Usual Locations (excluding independent theaters).

Going to hold off until tomorrow's actuals to post any analysis again. Just in case more than a couple films are off enough, high or low, don't really want to reevaluate them. For example, F9 probably surpassed Furious 7 after Monday (but might be just shy), and Tokyo Revengers is probably just short of becoming Warner Bros.'s highest grossing film of 2021 (surpassing Rurouni Kenshin) but might have passed it on Monday. Don't want to have to edit any analysis today in tomorrow's Weekend Actuals post so I'll hold off until then.

NOTE: Since Monday is a holiday, actuals will be delayed until Tuesday.

But if anyone has a question about a film, feel free to ask.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:26 am
Profile WWW

Corpse wrote:
Momori wrote:

If you go back and check one of the last couple of pages, I discussed this one a little.

In short, it'll likely at least match its two predecessors (Homecoming grossed ¥2.8 billion; Far From Home grossed ¥3.06 billion), but I would expect a decent bump given the novelty factor it'll have by bringing back characters from the preceding franchises (at least if they do bring back Maguire and Garfield as rumored).

But I wouldn't expect anything nearly as high as the first three Spider-Man films. They remain the three biggest Marvel/DC films in the market (both totals and opening weekends), and I wouldn't expect this new film to more than double either of its predecessors to challenge them when Endgame, which increased 64% over Infinity War in Japan, wasn't even enough.

I'm thinking around ¥3.5/4.0 billion. And welcome to the forum! Consider posting more!

Thank you for replying! I also agree with those estimates. I asked since NWH seems to be all the hype recently and the rumors of Tobey Maguire and the other rumored actors coming back just adds more to that insane hype. But I'm unknowing if the Japanese audience are aware of those rumors or not. Idk if it's true, but I'd assume Tobey is the most well know/loved Spidey in Japan? So I'm expecting a good bump like you said. :D

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Holiday Monday Estimates
Based on what I know, the first Spider-Man (and its two sequels) largely benefitted from being the first film/Spider-Man franchise based on a well-known and popular superhero in Japan (there was live-action Japanese TV show back in like the 60s or 70s for example). Spider-Man has a long history in Japan besides being a Western comic book superhero adaptation. So being the "first" can never be replicated again.

There could be an audience that associates Maguire with Spider-Man, but it's probably a stretch to give him too much credit for the original trilogy's success which was immediate out of the gate (the first film has both the biggest opening weekend and total of any Spider-Man or Marvel/DC film, with the sequels taking the second and third place positions on those lists, 20 years later).

So, I wouldn't really expect there to be a huge Tobey Maguire fanclub somewhere in the market that is going to suddenly come out to see No Way Home. If he's marketed, along with Garfield (The Amazing films were slightly bigger than the current Marvel films), again, I'm sure it'll give NWH a decent, but not substantial, bump.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Holiday Monday Estimates
Working on the Weekend Actuals now. Just a few notes (Holiday Monday changes some things):

>The Weekend Actuals will be 09/18-19, no changes there. But when I post the Top Grossing Films of 2021 after that post, the cumulative totals will be as of MONDAY, 09/20, since it was a holiday and figures have been reported up to that date.

>No figures have been released for Free! The Final Stroke at all. I'll leave its estimate from the weekend in place until an actual figure is released. Sometimes these sorts of films have their figures released by the studio first, so if this happened and someone knows, please let me know. Thursday is a holiday as well, so its opening numbers may never be reported by normal means if they're not tomorrow.

>Reminiscence hasn't had its total through Monday (holiday) released yet. Warner Bros. reported the numbers up through 09/20 for their local releases (like Tokyo Revengers), but not for their imported releases which they only did up to 09/19 (Reminiscence, and then they also randomly updated The Suicide Squad up to Sunday too--it wasn't updated last week).

Posts will be up n an hour or maybe two.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (09/18-19)
Weekend Actuals (09/18-19)
01 (---) ¥535,851,150 ($4.89 million), 0, ¥691,775,950 ($6.3 million), Masquerade Night (Toho) NEW
02 (---) ¥x86,809,620 ($795,000), 0, ¥137,272,340 ($1.3 million), Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku) NEW
03 (03) ¥x75,019,600 ($685,000), -10%, ¥6,106,857,550 ($55.6 million), Belle (Toho) WK10
04 (02) ¥x66,838,500 ($610,000), -49%, ¥759,892,440 ($7.0 million), Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) WK3
05 (---) ¥x63,151,040 ($578,000), 0, ¥x85,007,820 ($0.8 million), Reminiscence (Warner Bros.) NEW
06 (01) ¥x60,038,550 ($548,000), -62%, ¥3,051,648,600 ($27.7 million), My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho) WK7
07 (04) ¥x40,138,670 ($366,000), -35%, ¥3,522,157,610 ($32.2 million), F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa) WK7
08 (07) ¥x35,385,540 ($323,000), -27%, ¥4,296,410,480 ($39.3 million), Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.) WK11
09 (06) ¥x33,737,250 ($308,000), -37%, ¥856,925,650 ($7.9 million), Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho) WK5
10 (05) ¥x32,462,240 ($296,000), -44%, ¥379,264,760 ($3.5 million), The Woman of S.R.I.: The Movie (Toei) WK3

Again, this is the regular Weekend Actuals updated as usual each week. HOWEVER, the totals in the Top Grossing Films of 2021 below this post will be as of MONDAY, 09/20.

>Masquerade Night dominated the box office in its debut, selling a very impressive 374,000 admissions over the weekend frame (5th Biggest Debut of 2021), and 678,000 admissions over its first four days in release. Its opening weekend is 15% below the first film, but its total, thanks to the holiday, is currently running ahead after four days thanks to the holiday. I was expecting the opening to come in below its predecessor, due to the widespread restrictions (theaters closing by 8pm), so to come within 15% is great, and as expected, it more than made up for that over the long four-day holiday weekend.

A total north of ¥4 billion (~$40 million) and ~3 million admissions is likely.

>Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 remains an estimate. It debuted in third place in admissions, but I'm expecting its average ticket price to be pretty high, so I'm going to keep it in second place in revenue with its estimated opening here until its figures are (hopefully) released. (EDIT: ACTUAL UPDATED!)

>Belle held amazingly well (even rising to second place in admissions, and possibly third pending the actuals for Free!). I see no reason not to expect strong weekly holds like it's been having for weeks now for most of the remainder of its run, so look for a finish around ¥6.5 billion (~$60 million) and ~4.6 million admissions or so.

>Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings had a hefty decline, but that's to be expected for a Marvel/DC release. What I'm more surprised about is how weak its weekdays have been. Weekdays are very important, more so than weekends, really, in the market, so you need to at least post fair numbers over them. So it's definitely not going to finish nearly as high as I was predicting, and due to the poor weekdays, it's going to end up being on the more frontloaded end of Marvel/DC releases (even by their standards). It's still likely to become Disney's first film in 2 years to reach ¥1 billion (~$10 million), but it'll be a crawl now.

>Reminiscence disappointed/bombed, but no real surprise there. The film sold 57,414 admissions over its first three-days in release. I wouldn't expect more than ¥400 million (~$4 million) finish or so.

>My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission saw a very large drop, but not surprising since it increased 55% last weekend. The third MHA film exceeded the ¥3 billion milestone over the weekend, and is probably aiming for a finish around ¥3.3 billion (~$31 million) or so if it doesn't receive any other giveaways). That will be about 95% of the COMBINED totals of both its predecessors.

>]F9: The Fast Saga is right on the cusp of surpassing Furious 7 (it's only ¥1.049 million away, or about 700 admissions, after Monday!), and will on Tuesday. One of the better performances this year, and it should be targeting a final total around ¥3.7 billion (~$34 million).

>Tokyo Revengers continues its great run, and after Monday, is a mere ¥6.3 million (or about 4,700 admissions) away from outgrossing Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final to become Warner Bros.'s highest grossing film of 2021. It'll claim this title on Tuesday.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Top Opening Weekends 2021
Top Opening Weekends: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Screen Count] - Film (Distributor)

¥1.609 billion ($14.8 million) / 1,122,000 [497] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet (Toho)
¥1.177 billion ($10.8 million) / 760,882 [466] - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (Toho/Toei/Khara)

¥1 billion ↨
¥679.9 million ($6.2 million) / 459,000 [414] - Belle (Toho)
¥593.0 million ($5.7 million) / 423,000 [348] - New Interpretation Record of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥535.9 million ($4.9 million) / 374,000 [356] - Masquerade Night (Toho)
¥535.1 million ($4.8 million) / 351,848 [840] - F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa)
¥528.3 million ($4.8 million) / 386,000 [350] - Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.)
¥526.0 million ($4.9 million) / 362,000 [480] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (Warner Bros.)

¥500 million ↨
¥464.2 million ($4.3 million) / 293,000 [368] - Godzilla vs. Kong (Toho)
¥454.0 million ($4.1 million) / 335,000 [321] - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho)
¥399.0 million ($3.8 million) / 138,000 [191] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥362.9 million ($3.3 million) / 247,600 [449] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (Warner Bros.)
¥330.7 million ($3.0 million) / 165,000 [215] - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (Shochiku)

¥300 million ↨
¥288.0 million ($2.7 million) / 219,000 [341] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)
¥287.5 million ($2.7 million) / 204,000 [197] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥276.4 million ($2.7 million) / 234,000 [375] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥256.2 million ($2.3 million) / 162,000 [472] - Monster Hunter (Toho-Towa)
¥238.6 million ($2.2 million) / 211,000 [368] - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy (Toho)
¥232.6 million ($2.1 million) / 168,000 [349] - The Fable II (Shochiku)
¥220.0 million ($2.0 million) / 166,000 [335] - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie (Toho)
¥218.8 million ($2.0 million) / 141,000 [267] - Black Widow (Disney)
¥216.8 million ($2.0 million) / 140,000 [779] - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney)
¥207.2 million ($2.0 million) / 144,000 [306] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)

¥200 million ↨
¥191.3 million ($1.8 million) / 133,268 [350] - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet (Tokyo Theaters, Co./Little More)
¥190.6 million ($1.7 million) / 133,000 [319] - Character (Toho)
¥173.7 million ($1.6 million) / 135,000 [220] - Honey Lemon Soda (Shin-Toho)
¥171.5 million ($1.6 million) / 103,649 [178] - Fate/Grand Order - Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot Part 1 (Aniplex)
¥163.8 million ($1.5 million) / 124,500 [320] - Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho)
¥153.2 million ($1.4 million) / 112,000 [260] - Jungle Cruise (Disney)
¥151.0 million ($1.4 million) / 119,000 [354] - Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros.)
¥148.4 million ($1.4 million) / 135,000 [299] - A Morning of Farewell (Toei)
¥144.9 million ($1.4 million) / 109,000 [245] - Liar x Liar (Asmik Ace)
¥143.0 million ($1.3 million) / 111,000 [333] - Brave: Gunjyo Senki (Toho)
¥140.1 million ($1.3 million) / 112,564 [202] - Beautiful Lure - A Modern Tale of "Painted Skin" (Nikkatsu)
¥138.0 million ($1.2 million) / 101,000 [315] - Signal: The Movie (Toho)
¥130.7 million ($1.2 million) / x90,000 [323] - Last of the Wolves (Toei)
¥128.1 million ($1.2 million) / x81,000 [749] - The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
¥126.5 million ($1.2 million) / x92,000 [119] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi (Toho)
¥124.4 million ($1.2 million) / x97,000 [335] - Kamen Rider Zero-One: REAL x TIME (Toei)
¥119.4 million ($1.1 million) / x87,000 [259] - Hell's Garden (Warner Bros.)
¥118.4 million ($1.1 million) / x88,000 [343] - Kiba: The Fangs of Fiction (Shochiku)
¥115.4 million ($1.1 million) / x96,114 [237] - Healin' Good Pretty Cure: GoGo! Big Transformation! Town of Dreams (Toei)
¥114.3 million ($1.1 million) / x75,677 [340] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)
¥109.0 million ($1.0 million) / x79,000 [355] - The Sun Does Not Move (Warner Bros.)
¥106.9 million ($1.0 million) / x65,000 [x64] - Girls und Panzer the Finale - Part 3 (Showgate)
¥102.8 million ($0.9 million) / x71,000 [100] - Fate/Grand Order - Final Singularity Grand Temple of Time: Solomon (Aniplex)

¥100 million ↑

Legend:
¥1 billion+ (Exemplary) / ¥500 million+ (Great) / ¥300 million+ (Good) / ¥200 million+ (Acceptable) / ¥100 million+ (Mediocre)

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office: Top Grossing Films 2021
Top Grossing Films: 2021
Gross ¥ ($) / Admissions [Days In Release] - Film (Distributor)

¥10.24 billion ($93.7 million) / 6.70 million [F] - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (Toho/Toei/Khara)
¥10 billion ↨
¥7.52 billion ($69.3 million) / 5.38 million [E] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet (Toho)
¥6.15 billion ($56.1 million) / 4.42 million [67] - Belle (Toho)

¥5 billion ↨
¥4.32 billion ($39.6 million) / 3.07 million [E] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥4.31 billion ($39.4 million) / 3.24 million [74] - Tokyo Revengers (Warner Bros.)
¥4.03 billion ($38.3 million) / 3.00 million [F] - New Interpretation Records of the Three Kingdoms (Toho)
¥3.81 billion ($36.5 million) / 2.83 million [F] - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet (Tokyo Theaters, Co./Little More)
¥3.54 billion ($32.3 million) / 2.33 million [46] - F9: The Fast Saga (Toho-Towa)
¥3.08 billion ($28.0 million) / 2.25 million [46] - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Toho)

¥3 billion ↨
¥2.78 billion ($26.9 million) / 2.26 million [F] - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2 (Toho)
¥2.41 billion ($23.1 million) / 1.75 million [F] - Poupelle of Chimney Town (Toho)
¥2.41 billion ($22.0 million) / 1.70 million [E] - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (Warner Bros.)
¥2.16 billion ($20.5 million) / 0.79 million [F] - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie (Shochiku)
¥2.11 billion ($19.1 million) / 1.04 million [E] - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (Shochiku)
¥2.01 billion ($19.1 million) / 1.56 million [F] - The Promised Neverland (Toho)

¥2 billion ↨
¥1.90 billion ($18.3 million) / 1.37 million [F] - Gintama: The Final (Warner Bros.)
¥1.88 billion ($17.2 million) / 1.25 million [E] - Godzilla vs. Kong (Toho)
¥1.77 billion ($17.1 million) / 1.50 million [F] - Pokemon: Coco (Toho)
¥1.66 billion ($15.2 million) / 1.41 million [53] - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy (Toho)
¥1.53 billion ($13.9 million) / 1.10 million [E] - Character (Toho)
¥1.38 billion ($12.5 million) / 1.01 million [E] - The Fable II (Shochiku)
¥1.23 billion ($11.5 million) / 0.83 million [E] - Monster Hunter (Toho-Towa)
¥1.21 billion ($11.1 million) / 0.88 million [E] - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi (Toho) *Compilation*
¥1.17 billion ($10.8 million) / 0.91 million [E] - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie (Toho)
¥1.01 billion ($9.3 million) / 0.88 million [E] - A Morning of Farewell (Toei)

¥1 billion ↑
¥974.0 million ($8.9 million) / 0.76 million [E] - Honey Lemon Soda (Shin-Toho)
¥940.1 million ($8.6 million) / 0.68 million [04] - Masquerade Night (Toho)
¥900.0 million ($8.2 million) / 0.60 million [E] - Black Widow (Disney)
¥876.6 million ($8.1 million) / 0.69 million [32] - Kaguya-sama: Love is War Final (Toho)
¥845.5 million ($8.0 million) / 0.64 million [E] - Liar x Liar (Asmik Ace)
¥838.7 million ($7.7 million) / 0.66 million [E] - Brave: Gunjyo Senki (Toho)
¥821.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.58 million [E] - Jungle Cruise (Disney)
¥817.2 million ($7.5 million) / 0.61 million [E] - Signal: The Movie (Toho)
¥789.5 million ($7.3 million) / 0.65 million [E] - Tom & Jerry (Warner Bros.)
¥789.5 million ($7.3 million) / 0.52 million [18] - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney)
¥727.2 million ($6.6 million) / 0.53 million [32] - Last of the Wolves (Toei)
¥670.0 million ($6.1 million) / 0.51 million [E] - Hell's Garden (Warner Bros.)
¥638.1 million ($6.2 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Tengaramon (Giggly Box)
¥635.5 million ($5.8 million) / 0.49 million [E] - Kiba: The Fangs of Fiction (Shochiku)
¥634.9 million ($6.0 million) / 0.47 million [E] - Jukai Village (Toei)
¥614.9 million ($5.6 million) / 0.50 million [E] - Beautiful Lure - A Modern Tale of "Painted Skin" (Nikkatsu)
¥579.1 million ($5.3 million) / 0.39 million [39] - The Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)
¥546.5 million ($5.2 million) / 0.44 million [E] - Under the Open Sky (Warner Bros.)
¥534.7 million ($5.1 million) / 0.37 million [E] - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

¥500 million ↑

Legend:
¥10 billion+ (Uber-Blockbuster) / ¥5 billion+ (Blockbuster) / ¥3 billion+ (Hit) / ¥2 billion+ (Respectable) / ¥1 billion+ (Commercial Success)

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Top Multipliers 2021
2021: Top Multipliers (¥1 Billion Earners, Wide Releases Only)

x19.92 - Loved Like a Flower Bouquet *#10 All-Time Multiplier*
↑15x (Phenomenal)
x11.63 - Poupelle of Chimney Town
↑10x (Excellent)
x9.57 - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi
x9.05 - Belle [10 Weeks in Release]
x8.70 - Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time
x8.21 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final*
x8.16 - Tokyo Revengers [11 Weeks in Release]
x8.03 - Character

↑8x (Great)
x7.20 - Stand By Me, Doraemon 2
↑7x (Good)
x6.98 - The Promised Neverland
x6.97 - Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! Flowers of Tenkazu Academy [8 Weeks in Release]
x6.81 - A Morning Farewell
x6.80 - New Interpretation Record of the Three Kingdoms
x6.78 - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission [7 Weeks in Release]
x6.64 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning*
x6.62 - F9: The Fast Saga [7 Weeks in Release]
x6.61 - Gintama: The Final
x6.40 - Pokémon: Coco
x6.38 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway

↑6x (Acceptable)
x5.93 - The Fable II*
x5.41 - Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie
x5.32 - Caution, Hazardous Wife: The Movie

↑5x (Mediocre)
x4.80 - Monster Hunter
x4.67 - Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet*
x4.05 - Godzilla vs. Kong

↑4x (Poor)
↑3x (Awful)

*Run impacted by theater closures in April-June in Tokyo (and 8 other prefectures).

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekly Shonen Jump History
Weekly Shonen Jump Box-Office History:

OPENINGS:
¥3.354 billion ($31.9 million) / 2,509,986 - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
¥1.372 billion ($16.7 million) / 1,140,081 - One Piece Film Z (2012)
¥1.225 billion ($12.9 million) / 987,387 - Rookies (2009) LA
¥1.155 billion ($11.0 million) / 820,830 - One Piece Film Gold (2016)
¥1.038 billion ($11.9 million) / 819,738 - One Piece Film Strong World (2009)
¥960.6 million ($8.1 million) / 715,727 - Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F (2015)
¥919.5 million ($8.7 million) / 717,948 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends (2014) LA
¥812.7 million ($7.2 million) / 639,000 - Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
¥806.0 million ($7.6 million) / 598,000 - One Piece Stampede (2019)
¥760.8 million ($6.4 million) / 575,510 - Death Note: The Last Name (2006) LA
¥683.9 million ($7.3 million) / 561,098 - Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2013)
¥639.1 million ($5.7 million) / 544,641 - Assassination Classroom: Graduation (2016) LA
¥592.2 million ($5.8 million) / 433,346 - Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (2014) LA
¥565.0 million ($5.3 million) / 442,000 - Death Note: L Change the World (2008) LA
¥541.0 million ($4.8 million) / 392,800 - Gintama (2017) LA
¥528.2 million ($4.8 million) / 385,058 - Gintama 2 (2018) LA
¥526.0 million ($4.9 million) / 362,000 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (2021) LA
¥515.3 million ($4.4 million) / 396,280 - The Last: Naruto the Movie (2015)
¥458.6 million ($4.3 million) / 342,215 - Death Note: Light Up the New World (2016) LA
¥456.8 million ($5.5 million) / 357,976 - Hunter x Hunter: The Phantom Rouge (2013)
¥454.0 million ($4.1 million) / 335,000 - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (2021)
¥410.8 million ($3.4 million) / 350,900 - Assassination Classroom (2015) LA
¥409.6 million ($3.3 million) / 305,396 - Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015)
¥408.8 million ($3.6 million) / 308,600 - Death Note (2006) LA
¥399.5 million ($5.0 million) / 295,320 - Rurouni Kenshin (2012) LA
¥362.9 million ($3.3 million) / 247,600 - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (2021) LA
¥350.0 million ($1.6 million) / 326,000 - Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (2004)
¥326.6 million ($2.7 million) / 300,000 - One Piece: Dead End Adventure (2003)
¥302.1 million ($3.8 million) / 254,030 - Naruto: Road to Ninja (2012)
¥288.0 million ($2.7 million) / 219,000 - The Promised Neverland (2020) LA
¥287.5 million ($2.7 million) / 204,000 - Gintama: The Final (2021)
¥287.1 million ($2.6 million) / 224,697 - My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (2018)
¥286.4 million ($2.7 million) / 256,157 - One Piece: The Cursed Holy Sword (2004)
¥283.0 million ($2.6 million) / 224,000 - My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising (2019)
¥281.9 million ($2.9 million) / 221,469 - Gintama: The Final Chapter (2013)
¥257.1 million ($2.3 million) / 179,780 - City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes (2019)
¥255.8 million ($2.0 million) / 237,000 - One Piece: Chopper's Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals (2002)
¥251.6 million ($2.1 million) / 184,263 - Bakuman (2015) LA
¥219.0 million ($1.8 million) / 198,000 - Naruto Shippuden: The Movie (2007)
¥218.9 million ($2.0 million) / 198,054 - Naruto Shippuden: Bonds (2008)
¥217.0 million ($1.9 million) / 200,000 - Naruto: Legend of the Stone of Gelel (2005)
¥200.0 million ($2.1 million) / 160,000 - Gintama: The Movie (2010)
¥199.1 million ($2.4 million) / 171,542 - Bleach: Hell Verse (2010)
¥195.3 million ($1.7 million) / 155,882 - The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (2017) LA
¥191.0 million ($2.0 million) / 183,200 - Naruto Shippuden: Will of Fire (2009)
¥190.0 million ($1.7 million) / 124,397 - Kuroko's Basketball The Movie: Last Game (2017)
¥175.0 million ($1.7 million) / 163,000 - One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005)
¥167.3 million ($1.5 million) / 151,000 - Bleach: The DiamondDust Rebellion (2007)
¥166.1 million ($1.4 million) / 149,000 - One Piece: The Desert Princess and the Pirates: Adventures in Alabasta (2007)
¥165.5 million ($1.5 million) / 117,256 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable (2017) LA
¥162.1 million ($1.6 million) / 148,274 - One Piece: Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Sakura (2008)
¥157.9 million ($1.5 million) / 123,795 - Hunter x Hunter: The Final Mission (2014)
¥152.7 million ($1.7 million) / 137,900 - Bleach: Fade to Black (2008)
¥142.3 million ($1.2 million) / 121,000 - Bleach: Memories of Nobody (2006)
¥135.1 million ($1.2 million) / 120,000 - One Piece: Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle (2006)
¥135.0 million ($1.2 million) / 99,122 - Bleach (2018) LA
¥133.0 million ($1.2 million) / 92,396 - Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimenstions (2016)
¥126.9 million ($1.6 million) / 106,881 - Naruto Shippuden: Blood Prison (2011)
¥119.3 million ($1.0 million) / 110,000 - Naruto: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (2006)

LA = Live-Action Film.

TOTALS:
¥40.33 billion ($385.2 million) / 29.17 million - Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (2020)
¥8.55 billion ($94.5 million) / 6.95 million - Rookies (2009) LA
¥6.87 billion ($77.1 million) / 5.67 million - One Piece Film Z (2012)
¥5.55 billion ($52.1 million) / 4.17 million - One Piece: Stampede (2019)
¥5.22 billion ($50.0 million) / 4.04 million - Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (2014) LA
¥5.20 billion ($45.0 million) / 4.10 million - Death Note: The Last Name (2006) LA
¥5.18 billion ($50.3 million) / 3.91 million - One Piece Film Gold (2016)
¥4.80 billion ($58.1 million) / 4.10 million - One Piece Film Strong World (2009)
¥4.35 billion ($40.6 million) / 3.38 million - Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends (2014) LA
¥4.32 billion ($39.6 million) / 3.07 million - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Final (2021) LA
¥4.00 billion ($36.0 million) / 3.07 million - Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
¥3.84 billion ($35.4 million) / 2.90 million - Gintama (2017) LA
¥3.74 billion ($31.1 million) / 2.81 million - Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F (2015)
¥3.70 billion ($33.1 million) / 2.85 million - Gintama 2 (2018) LA
¥3.52 billion ($31.5 million) / 3.12 million - Assassination Classroom: Graduation (2016) LA
¥3.10 billion ($29.3 million) / 2.30 million - Death Note: L Change the World (2008) LA
¥3.08 billion ($28.0 million) / 2.25 million - My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (2021) [7 Weeks in Release]
¥3.01 billion ($38.3 million) / 2.42 million - Rurouni Kenshin (2012) LA
¥3.00 billion ($25.8 million) / 2.78 million - One Piece: Clockwork Island Adventure (2001)
¥2.99 billion ($31.1 million) / 2.34 million - Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2013)
¥2.85 billion ($22.9 million) / 2.25 million - Death Note (2006) LA
¥2.77 billion ($23.4 million) / 2.42 million - Assassination Classroom (2015) LA
¥2.62 billion ($21.3 million) / 2.01 million - Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015)
¥2.48 billion ($19.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler (1992)
¥2.41 billion ($22.0 million) / 1.70 million - Rurouni Kenshin: The Final Chapter - The Beginning (2021) LA
¥2.35 billion ($18.9 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13 (1992)
¥2.24 billion ($22.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Second Coming (1994)
¥2.20 billion ($19.8 million) / 1.70 million - Death Note: Light Up the New World (2016)
¥2.20 billion ($16.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge (1991)
¥2.16 billion ($20.3 million) / 2.00 million - One Piece: The Movie (2000)
¥2.12 billion ($20.4 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan (1993)
¥2.05 billion ($18.7 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound (1993)
¥2.05 billion ($14.9 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (1991)
¥2.01 billion ($19.1 million) / 1.56 million - The Promised Neverland (2020) LA
¥2.00 billion ($16.9 million) / 1.57 million - The Last: Naruto the Movie (2015)
¥2.00 billion ($15.2 million) / 1.85 million - One Piece: Chopper's Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals (2002)
¥2.00 billion ($16.4 million) / 1.85 million - One Piece: Dead End Adventure (2003)
¥1.98 billion ($22.7 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn (1995)
¥1.90 billion ($18.3 million) / 1.37 million - Gintama: The Final (2021)
¥1.80 billion ($16.2 million) / 1.65 million - One Piece: The Cursed Holy Sword (2004)
¥1.79 billion ($16.3 million) / 1.35 million - My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising (2019)
¥1.76 billion ($14.4 million) / 1.36 million - Bakuman (2015) LA
¥1.75 billion ($18.0 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly (1994)
¥1.72 billion ($15.6 million) / 1.37 million - My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (2018)
¥1.70 billion ($17.5 million) / 1.40 million - Gintama: The Final Chapter (2013)
¥1.55 billion ($10.3 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest (1990)
¥1.53 billion ($13.8 million) / 1.05 million - City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes (2019)
¥1.48 billion ($18.8 million) / 1.24 million - Naruto: Road to Ninja (2012)
¥1.37 billion ($11.1 million) / 1.00 million - Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Lamd of Snow (2004)
¥1.24 billion ($9.6 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone (1989)
¥1.24 billion ($8.4 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might (1990)
¥1.23 billion ($11.8 million) / 1.10 million - One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005)
¥1.22 billion ($6.8 million) - Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies (1986)
¥1.22 billion ($8.0 million) - Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle (1987)
¥1.21 billion ($13.5 million) / 1.00 million - Hunter x Hunter: The Phantom Rouge (2013)
¥1.21 billion ($10.0 million) / 1.00 million - Naruto Shippuden: The Movie (2007)
¥1.18 billion ($10.2 million) / 1.00 million - Naruto: Legend of the Stone of Gelel (2005)
¥1.16 billion ($10.6 million) / 1.00 million - Naruto Shippuden: Bonds (2008)
¥1.10 billion ($12.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon (1995)
¥1.07 billion ($13.1 million) / 0.80 million - Gintama: The Movie (2010)
¥1.06 billion ($9.5 million) / 0.73 million - Kuroko's Basketball The Movie: Last Game (2017)
¥1.03 billion ($12.6 million) / 0.87 million - Naruto Shippuden: The Lost Tower (2010)
¥1.02 billion ($8.1 million) / 0.88 million - Naruto Shippuden: Will of Fire (2009)
¥1.00 billion ($9.0 million) / 0.81 million - The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (2017) LA
¥1.00 billion ($9.7 million) / 0.86 million - Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions (2016)
¥1.00 billion ($7.8 million) - Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure (1988)

LA = Live-Action Film.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (09/18-19); Charts Update
Hey, Corpse. Studio Ghibli films, Godzilla, and Doraemon seem to have been the highest grossing Japanese domestic properties of the 1990s. But while Studio Ghibli and Doraemon continued to enjoy great success in the years to follow, Godzilla collapsed in the mid to late '90s.

The Return of Godzilla (1984), Godzilla vs Biollante (1989), and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) were varying degrees of modest successes and disappointments. They took in 3.2 million tickets, 2 million tickets, and 2.7 million tickets. So the second run of Godzilla films didn't really get off the ground until Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)'s 4.2 million tickets. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1993) moved 3.8 million tickets and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994) moved 3.4 million tickets. I've read SpaceGodzilla's tickets were sold at a discounted rate and it probably would have did a lot worse without the discount. I will have to confirm this claim.

Anyway, Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995) was a bounce back with 4 million tickets. Though it is important to note it was advertised as the final Godzilla film. The tagline was: "Godzilla Dies." TriStar's Godzilla (1998) didn't even come close to meeting expectations. Yet it still saw 3.9 million admissions. However, things took a turn for the worse afterwards. Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999) only sold 2 million tickets and, after a several more years of diminishing returns, Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) ended the series for a decade on a disastrous note: 1 million tickets on a $19.5 million budget. Ouch.

The recent Hollywood films peaked out of the gate at 2.2 million with Godzilla (2014) and Godzilla vs Kong (2021) sold 1.25 million tickets. The 3D Polygon anime trilogy (2017-2018) did meh numbers even for limited releases. Not sure how much being Netflix bound films factored into their performance. Though it's my understanding their theatrical releases were a last minute decision to make extra money. Regardless, Toho recognized them as a success in the press release for the recent anime television series, Godzilla Singular Point.

It seems the only bright spot in the last 20 years was Shin Godzilla (2016), which sold 5.69 million tickets and received plenty of critical acclaim.

So what's the deal with Godzilla? I've heard it described a few times as a dead franchise and Shin Godzilla dismissed as anomaly which owes its success to Hideaki Anno. Is that an accurate assessment or is there more going on here? Was Godzilla ever really back is my question. Its popularity in the '90s seems built on the surprise success of Godzilla vs Mothra (1992) and it quickly petered out in the following years. Godzilla vs Mothra's success is normally attributed to 1) Mothra's return to the big screen and 2) women. Mothra is apparently a very popular character with female audiences and females were quickly becoming a dominant theater-going force in that decade. Does the brief popularity of the '90s Godzilla films owe most of their success to nostalgia for earlier Godzilla films? They brought back plenty of classic characters and classic actors from the '60s. Is it comparable to the current live-action adaptation of the Disney Renaissance films?

Sorry for the long post.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I would agree with pretty much everything you said.

Looking at Godzilla's full history, not just the transition into the 90s and then 00s, it's pretty clear it was more of a product of its time back in the 50s/60s. Afterwards, its audience began to drop-off pretty steadily until it got to the point where it was easier for the occasional film to see a bump over its predecessor, or an era of films (like the ones you mentioned from the 90s) see an uptick.

(Note: The 50s/60s (especially late-50s to early-60s) were the Golden Era for the Japan Box-Office. The last three years of the 50s and 1960 all saw over 1 BILLION movie tickets sold...EACH. And the couple years before and after sold 800/900 million+ tickets. So this time period absolutely attributed to the success of the earlier films. Moviegoing was a much, MUCH more common means of entertainment than it is today where the average Japanese only sees 1.5 films in theaters a year.

Many of the audiences that drove Godzilla at the box office have either passed on, or have just gotten too old to really be interested in seeing another film in theaters unless there's a special reason (see: Shin Godzilla). And these older fans that remain are definitely not going to see the latest Hollywood feature. In general, Hollywood adaptations of domestic material is met with hesitancy that is very difficult to overcome, and this is especially true in older generations. And since Godzilla is a franchise that relies on the older demographics, the Hollywood films are always going to struggle.

Shin Godzilla was a breakout as you mentioned, and it was the perfect storm of events. Its opening weekend wasn't particularly special (it was good, but not especially great), but it managed to tap into the nostalgia of the old fans, and then breakout into other demographics during its run to propel it so high. Hideaki Anno was a factor for sure, but its critical reception was more so I'd argue, as was the "reboot" or "new"(Shin) aspect of the franchise getting a new, fresh production. It became a case of someone saying, "Hey! Do you to want to see the NEW Godzilla!?" rather than "Hey! Want to see the latest Godzilla?"

To succeed in today's market, at least on a large scale, you can't just release "another" film in a franchise or by a certain director or studio; it has to have something special to make it an event worth seeing. Also, you almost have to find a means of appealing to females. Females have made up the majority of moviegoers for decades now (every Wednesday is Ladies' Day at theaters, as you may know), but it's continued to grow and I'm pretty certain they're close to 65% (or two-thirds) of moviegoers now. We're now seeing films with traditionally male-skewing audiences, take a film based on a Weekly Shonen Jump title such as Demon Slayer or My Hero Academia, thriving more than ever with female support. The new MHA film in release right now had a whopping 77% female share on its opening weekend. (Females have become key to about every industry now, not just the box office.)

Godzilla is still one of the most iconic characters ever in Japan, and always will be, but he isn't exciting most audiences anymore and is pretty much only appealing to older demographics that still have interest. There isn't a lot of young people in Japan these days either, so trying to capture a younger crowd that is shrinking drastically, and will continue to do so, isn't going to work.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Actuals (09/18-19)
Corpse wrote:
Weekend Actuals (09/18-19)
02 (---) ¥x90,000,000 ($820,000), 0, ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million), Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 (Shochiku) NEW *Est.*

>Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 remains an estimate. It debuted in third place in admissions, but I'm expecting its average ticket price to be pretty high, so I'm going to keep it in second place in revenue with its estimated opening here until its figures are (hopefully) released.

According to Rentrak, the weekend amount was 86,809,620 yen with a 3 day total of 137,272,340 yen. No audience numbers, but if you go by Mimorin's numbers that include independent theatres, that's a 1,327 yen average ticket price on Friday with a 1,540 yen ticket price over the weekend.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:34 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thanks! I'll update the Weekend Actuals post in the next hour or so.

Are you a Free! fan, or just interested in this particular film? If so, I can provide some rough estimates throughout its run for you during the weekdays. I was pretty close with the estimate, so I can work with that by just adjusting my method down just a tad and likely get pretty close numbers outside of the weekends. (I also know how each weekday tends to perform regarding how different they are with ticket prices.)

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 952  Next