Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Weekend Battle (DBZ vs Detective Conan
So it's not that much lower then. I suppose they could never really meet fan expectations with something like this, at least amongst the English speaking crowd people seemed to love the last one.

Not surprised about the legs, it's gonna be very fan driven. Whether this will hold up better being closer to golden week who knows.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:47 pm
The Dark Knight

3.56 on Yahoo, 3.1 on Eiga. And it had pretty mediocre legs with a multiplier of 4.37 which is quite poor in Japan (only one movie released this year has a lower multiplier than that).

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:33 pm
Star Trek XI

Oh yeah I see, I wonder why. I'm not sure what BoG has on Yahoo.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:28 pm
The Dark Knight

3.2 average on Eiga (Conan is at 4.0), 2.97 average on Yahoo Japan (Conan is at 4.16).
Bad was pushing it. They're average.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:17 pm
Star Trek XI

Are the reviews really not that good?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:13 pm
The Dark Knight

Last year's 'Detective Conan' movie edged passed 4 billion yen with its ¥789 million opening so theoretically they should both finish over that amount. The problem for the DBZ movie is that the reviews seem to be average if not bad and we don't know yet how that will affect its legs.

Japan is a special market, legs are the most important aspect of the box office there. Just look at BH6 and Yôkai Watch, the former opened far far below the latter yet it finished above it by nearly 1.5 billion yen.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:00 pm
Star Trek XI

Thanks for the update Corpse, great to see it doing so well. Is it not enough for it to reach its ¥4 billion goal though?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:53 am
The Dark Knight

Thanks. I'll leave you alone for now then. :P

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Cynosure wrote:
Amazing numbers for both movies.

Any info on the pre-sales for sunday yet ? If so how are they looking compared to saturday ? Looking at Eiga, the Conan movie seems to be getting better reviews than the DBZ one, could that have an impact on the sunday result ? What kind of legs are you expecting for both movies ?

Detective Conan generally scores good reviews, and is often nominated for the Best Animated Film each year.

Sunday pre-sales aren't available without checking individual theaters, but Detective Conan already has many showtimes half-full across many locations, and Dragon Ball Z has a decent amount, too.

It's going to be tight. ;)

(No more updates/answers for now, I'm running behind real life things! :p)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'll be away for most of the day, but I'll keep the updates coming when I get back home tonight (so if you're missing out on sleep, bullza, go get some! :P)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Amazing numbers for both movies.

Any info on the pre-sales for sunday yet ? If so how are they looking compared to saturday ? Looking at Eiga or yahoo japan, the Conan movie seems to be getting better reviews than the DBZ one, could that have an impact on the sunday result ? What kind of legs are you expecting for both movies ?

Last edited by Cynosure on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

There are only a few showtimes still going on, but the daily results are practically done. I'll wait to post the Usual Locations Saturday Results, but in the meantime, here are some estimates!

Rough Saturday Estimates (Openers)

355,000 / ¥460 million - Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F (NEW
340,000 / ¥415 million - Detective Conan: Sunflowers of Inferno (NEW)
185,000 / ¥250 million - Furious 7 (NEW)
140,000 / ¥160 million - Crayon Shin-chan: My Moving Story! Cactus Large Attack! (NEW)

Both films are certainly aiming for over ¥800 million, which is incredible! There may only be 2 or 3 films remaining in the entire year that could match or exceed their opening weekends.

Detective Conan is probably playing stronger at Aeon Cinemas, so taking that into account (which I did a bit with my estimates), the two films are probably very close in admissions. It's also tracking 14% ahead of last year's film, which debuted to ¥789 million (easily the series high at the time).

Dragon Ball Z wins the day, with an opening day that'll be difficult for anything to match this year, and it'll will have the higher avg. ticket price advantage over the weekend, but it'll still need to make it at least close in tickets sold.

And it's definitely too close to call a weekend winner based on the Saturday results. Detective Conan is likely to win Sunday, so the winner of this weekend will depend on how close Dragon Ball Z finishes behind it tomorrow.

Furious 7 and Crayon Shin-chan also did very, very well. Furious 7 could come close to a ¥500 million opening weekend, the highest debut in the series by a comfortably margin, and Crayon Shin-chan is looking at over ¥300 million again, if not closer to ¥400 million, which would also be a series high debut!

All four openers are breaking some records.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Big weekend is big! I'll post some numbers soon.

This weekend is going to be a hard act to follow for the upcoming Summer box-office season. There's probably just 2 or 3 weekends in July/August that may do better than this weekend.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

I expect some enthusiasm because this weekend is really amazing. He'll have the list of the highest weekends ever overall and I think this one is looking like it will place well on the list. I mean DBZ+Conan+Furious alone look like they'll amount to around 2.3 billion yen and then there's Shin-chan to add and all the holdovers...could 3 billion be in play ? :noway:

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:32 am
Star Trek XI

Well it's at 152k now. I'm interested to know what Corpse' opinion is on all this. I might be asleep when he gets back though.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:16 am
The Dark Knight

The smaller chains (109, Movix, Kinezo) where DBZ is doing better than Conan finish later compared to the bigger Toho chain where Conan is doing better than DBZ so I think 160k is possible.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:04 am
Star Trek XI

I fully expect that DBZ will drop, not sure about Conan though.

In any case DBZ is at 150k now and Conan is at 138k as of 10pm so it even reached that. Do I see 160k? I better not greedy.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 am
The Dark Knight

True. But in Japan animated movies (and movies in general ?) usually increase on sunday so falling is in itself quite rare. It's generally not a good sign for legs too.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 am
Star Trek XI

Well I was wondering if the movies would hold better if it was a case of people who saw DBZ today would go see Detective Conan tommorow and vice versa.

Battle of Gods made ¥354 million on Saturday and then ¥330 million on Sunday so it didn't fall all that much.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 am
The Dark Knight

I would say ¥800 is locked for both too but then to what extent can also depend on how they do on sunday (if DBZ falls on sunday, by how much ? Will Conan manage to stay flat or increase this time ?) and also how they've performed in other chains especially Aeon.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:38 am
Star Trek XI

Yeah he'd know better than anyone but to do a bit of basic math.

It's at 147k know so full admissions could be around 342k. At an average ticket price of ¥1,275 that'd put it at around ¥436 million, not taking into account the 3D and Imax prices and the rest of the admissions for today then you'd think it'd be able to reach ¥800 million surely.

Same with Conan.

We'll see what he has to say.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:34 am
The Dark Knight

I would imagine but I suggest waiting for Corpse's analysis when the final updates of the day come out in a few hours.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:14 am
Star Trek XI

Yeah that makes sense, so I guess this makes ¥800 million more than just optimistic now right? Maybe admissions closer or over 350,000?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 am
The Dark Knight

Yes. That's it.

Keep in mind though that the two movies aren't the same length (the Conan movie is about 15-20 minutes longer) so you might have updates where one increases a lot and the other doesn't which doesn't always reflect the general trend.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 am
Star Trek XI

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure which figure exactly I'm supposed to be looking at. I see DBZ at 144k and Conan at 135k in the top right as of 8:56.

Is that it?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 713, 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719 ... 952  Next