Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: WKND Actuals (09/18-19); Charts Update
Corpse wrote:
Looking at Godzilla's full history, not just the transition into the 90s and then 00s, it's pretty clear it was more of a product of its time back in the 50s/60s. Afterwards, its audience began to drop-off pretty steadily until it got to the point where it was easier for the occasional film to see a bump over its predecessor, or an era of films (like the ones you mentioned from the 90s) see an uptick.

(Note: The 50s/60s (especially late-50s to early-60s) were the Golden Era for the Japan Box-Office. The last three years of the 50s and 1960 all saw over 1 BILLION movie tickets sold...EACH. And the couple years before and after sold 800/900 million+ tickets. So this time period absolutely attributed to the success of the earlier films. Moviegoing was a much, MUCH more common means of entertainment than it is today where the average Japanese only sees 1.5 films in theaters a year.

---

Godzilla is still one of the most iconic characters ever in Japan, and always will be, but he isn't exciting most audiences anymore and is pretty much only appealing to older demographics that still have interest. There isn't a lot of young people in Japan these days either, so trying to capture a younger crowd that is shrinking drastically, and will continue to do so, isn't going to work.

The Godzilla series waned before. Though that happened along with the fall of the Japanese film industry as whole (caused by television). What happened in the '90s is interesting because it happened independent of the greater industry. In fact, the industry was finally picking up again the '90s after languishing for decades. And, as mentioned on this site at least a few times, domestic films have overtaken foreign films again. Back in the '50s and '60s, Godzilla flourished in that sort of environment. Do you think there's a realistic chance for the series to ever recover its Golden Age popularity in the foreseeable future and would it be premature to say Shin Godzilla revived the series?

Toho attempted to recapture young audiences in the early 2000s by double-billing Godzilla with Hamtaro features. But it didn't amount to much. With the recent projects I think Toho has been trying to expand beyond the usual crowd. That would explain them recruiting notable talent like Hideaki Anno and Gen Urobuchi and dabbling with anime. Not everything will be a hit. But decades have demonstrated Godzilla cannot stay afloat as a viable property without a significant overhaul to what the series is.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Waitress in LA

Corpse wrote:
Thanks! I'll update the Weekend Actuals post in the next hour or so.

Are you a Free! fan, or just interested in this particular film? If so, I can provide some rough estimates throughout its run for you during the weekdays. I was pretty close with the estimate, so I can work with that by just adjusting my method down just a tad and likely get pretty close numbers outside of the weekends. (I also know how each weekday tends to perform regarding how different they are with ticket prices.)

I've been a fan of Kyoto Animation for quite some time, so I'm interested in the film from that perspective. I'm tracking it myself like I've been doing since 2019 with estimates as well since their films generally haven't been included in the year-end CineJun edition for the past few years (excluding Violet Evergarden The Movie since it was covered by Eiren). It's also something rather unique since most of the time animation studios aren't as involved in the financial side of films and so forth (excluding khara and Evangelion), so it means a lot to me as I want to see the studio continue on. They're the hallmark that animation fans live up to in how they treat their employees (salaries, specific training for new animators, lots of additional things like space for childcare and time away from work), so I want to ensure they do well.

Anime has changed drastically in the past decade with productions, financing, and how things work. In the past, home video was the major revenue source. Now? International rights sales and streaming have been big. Live music events were huge prior to the coronavirus too. Right now, the situation is pretty awful as the number of productions has surpassed what the industry can do and there's demand for more from foreign streaming sites like Netflix, Crunchyroll, bilibili, and more. So I personally want to continue hoping that additional studios like KyoAni can take off.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The 90s was the weakest decade on record (records beginning in 1955). All 10 years in the 90s are in the Bottom 18 Attended Years, including having 5 of the 6 worst attended years ever (1992-96, 2020). Before 2020 (which still broke 106 million admissions), 1992-1996 were the worst 5 years (ranging between 119-130 million admissions).

It's possible that the Godzilla films during this time were able to capitalize on the weakened state of the box office by being well-known, "safe" options to see? Could have also been a case of Toho going big on the marketing of these films, too. As you said, the 1995 film was marketed as the last Godzilla film. If Toho didn't dislike Tristar's Godzilla so much, they likely wouldn't have revived the franchise with Godzilla 2000 (or at least not that soon). Didn't Godzilla defeat "Zilla" (Tristar's Godzilla) in that movie with a single tail whip? :lol: It's amazing Toho allowed Hollywood another attempt with the recent Legendary films (though Toho does have more control over these).

There is another member here who has posted about Godzilla before on a number of occasions. They might have some insight.

Regarding Godzilla's future at the box office, I'm sure they'll be more films at some point. Shin Godzilla will likely remain the height of the Godzilla film franchise though (at least since the 60s). Never say never, but it's going to be really difficult to replicate its success again. But there could be an audience and path Toho can take Godzilla to turn it into a viable franchise again. But definitely don't expect numbers comparable to the Golden Era of the franchise (50/60s).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

ultimatemegax wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Thanks! I'll update the Weekend Actuals post in the next hour or so.

Are you a Free! fan, or just interested in this particular film? If so, I can provide some rough estimates throughout its run for you during the weekdays. I was pretty close with the estimate, so I can work with that by just adjusting my method down just a tad and likely get pretty close numbers outside of the weekends. (I also know how each weekday tends to perform regarding how different they are with ticket prices.)

I've been a fan of Kyoto Animation for quite some time, so I'm interested in the film from that perspective. I'm tracking it myself like I've been doing since 2019 with estimates as well since their films generally haven't been included in the year-end CineJun edition for the past few years (excluding Violet Evergarden The Movie since it was covered by Eiren). It's also something rather unique since most of the time animation studios aren't as involved in the financial side of films and so forth (excluding khara and Evangelion), so it means a lot to me as I want to see the studio continue on. They're the hallmark that animation fans live up to in how they treat their employees (salaries, specific training for new animators, lots of additional things like space for childcare and time away from work), so I want to ensure they do well.

Anime has changed drastically in the past decade with productions, financing, and how things work. In the past, home video was the major revenue source. Now? International rights sales and streaming have been big. Live music events were huge prior to the coronavirus too. Right now, the situation is pretty awful as the number of productions has surpassed what the industry can do and there's demand for more from foreign streaming sites like Netflix, Crunchyroll, bilibili, and more. So I personally want to continue hoping that additional studios like KyoAni can take off.

Kyoto Animation does have an impressive catalog. The arson attack on them was awful. It almost ruined the studio, didn't it? I remember reading all their records, videos, etc. were in the building. And with 36 killed in the fire, it was Japan's second biggest massacre since WWII.

They've been able to bounce back at least. Violet Evergarden did really, really well last year. I'll have to check, but I think it became their highest grossing film at the box office, surpassing K-On!

And Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 just had the second best opening in the series. It'll also at least become the second highest grossing Free! film as well. Its actual has been updated in the Weekend Actuals post on the last page.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
They've been able to bounce back at least. Violet Evergarden did really, really well last year. I'll have to check, but I think it became their highest grossing film at the box office, surpassing K-On!

I think Koe no katachi (A silent voice) was and still is KyoAni's highest at BO, isn't it?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:39 am
Hatchling

I think it too.

Edit : The last data I found (from Corpse's posts) :

¥2.30 billion ($21.7 million) / 1.75 million - A Silent Voice (Shochiku) (viewtopic.php?p=2156859#p2156859)
¥2.13 billion ($20.4 million) / 1.47 million [F] - Violet Evergarden: The Movie (Shochiku)
(viewtopic.php?p=2283102#p2283102)

I guess Ultimatemegax has also numbers for all the KyoAni movies. And if I remember correctly, for K-On! The Movie and Suzumiya Haruhi no shoushitsu, KyoAni didn't have the lead for the production committee.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am
Angels & Demons

So was Captain America Civil War big jump from his prior movie due to the inclusion of Spider-Man? If Spidey was not in Civil War, how much would have it grossed in Japan without Spidey, because the two prior Captain America movies in Japan were not doing well.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mostly, yes. It also helped that it acted as a "mini-Avengers", but Spider-Man of course helped it a lot. (The screenshot of Spider-Man in his armor suit was the default/first image on Infinity War's movie Japanese movie pages and whenever Infinity War was being discussed in articles, too.)

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Interesting that both Free! and Hero Academia are doing well in box-office despite controversy from one of their key voice actor.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

JustLurking wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I think Koe no katachi (A silent voice) was and still is KyoAni's highest at BO, isn't it?

estaban82 covered it. :thumbsup:

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Corpse wrote:
Kyoto Animation does have an impressive catalog. The arson attack on them was awful. It almost ruined the studio, didn't it? I remember reading all their records, videos, etc. were in the building. And with 36 killed in the fire, it was Japan's second biggest massacre since WWII.

And Free! The Final Stroke - Part 1 just had the second best opening in the series. It'll also at least become the second highest grossing Free! film as well. Its actual has been updated in the Weekend Actuals post on the last page.

Kyoto Animation prior to July 19, 2019 had 3 animation studios, a Tokyo office, and a head office combined with a sister company in Osaka named Animation Do. They also had storage for older materials elsewhere. You are likely remembering President Hatta's comments "it's all gone," but he was incorrect. A lot of materials were still saved elsewhere and the server that held the digital data from Studio 1 was able to be fully recovered. Not everything was in the building, but everything that was paper in the building was gone.

Several people who worked at the company have also left. Directors Naoko Yamada and Haruka Fujita, character designer/animation director Akiyo Takase, and animation directors Yuki Tsunoda and Seiichi Akitake all moved to other places, likely unable to continue working when so many close colleagues passed away senselessly.

It's not all sad though. Despite the arson and coronavirus, the studio has taken this opportunity to train new animators and build a new group who will carry on the future of the company. Hopefully the financial success of Free alongside international rights sales of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (not the newly announced video game) will help them continue to move forward and bring new creators to our attention.

Since this is the JP box office forum, I'll add one last little amusing note. In 2009, KyoAni's first film, The Final Battle of the Heavenoids and the Akuto Populace (the final Munto OVA/piece), was released to two theatres and screened once a day for two weeks in Tokyo/Kyoto. To help the studio, Shochiku screened all previous films at Movix Kyoto as well as all the Shochiku-distributed films at Shinjuku Picadilly throughout August-December 2019. A newly made 5.1 mix was created for that film and likely earned more through its one week screening in Kyoto, Tokyo, AND Nagoya than its original run. We won't know any numbers since it was so small, but I still find that amusing. That franchise is finally, finally, finally getting a release in HD this December in the Munto series Blu-ray Box.

Also the Haruhi film was financed by:
Kadokawa Shoten
Kadokawa Pictures
Kyoto Animation
Klockworx
Lantis

K-On!'s productions were financed by:
TBS
Pony Canyon
Movic
Kyoto Animation

All of their other films were either solely funded by KyoAni (Munto movie) or committees led by KyoAni.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 pm
Angels & Demons

We just have viewer ratings for 5 recapped movies in the chronological order: 13.3%, 13.4%, 14.4%, 14.7%, and 15%. It seems Fuji TV made a right bet with Kimetsu again.
Source: https://mantan-web.jp/article/20210924d ... 3000c.html
With 29 million of admissions, do you think how many people will watch Mugen Train on TV again?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have already watched Mugen Train on Netflix twice since its release so I am guessing a lot more people would be doing that as well. It was a different experience from theaters, plus the ability to pause and replay some of the scenes really helped in my case.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 am
Hatchling

ultimatemegax wrote:
Several people who worked at the company have also left. Directors Naoko Yamada and Haruka Fujita, character designer/animation director Akiyo Takase, and animation directors Yuki Tsunoda and Seiichi Akitake all moved to other places, likely unable to continue working when so many close colleagues passed away senselessly.

Sorry, it's a little off topic but I knew for Naoko Yamada has left KyoAni (my favorite director left my favorite studio) with the announcement of "Heike Monogatari" with Science SARU. But for Haruka Fujita, it's breaking news... The mentor and her disciple have left the studio :(

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

MSFK wrote:
We just have viewer ratings for 5 recapped movies in the chronological order: 13.3%, 13.4%, 14.4%, 14.7%, and 15%. It seems Fuji TV made a right bet with Kimetsu again.
Source: https://mantan-web.jp/article/20210924d ... 3000c.html
With 29 million of admissions, do you think how many people will watch Mugen Train on TV again?

Those ratings of the Season One Recap Specials equate to between 7-8 million viewers. Very impressive. For a recent comparison, the most recent TV broadcast of Princess Mononoke did 13.6% (I think) which is a little over 7 million viewers, so these recap specials matched it in the first two weekends and then beat it in the last three.

I'm still expecting Mugen Train to hit 20% (or ~11 million viewers) when it airs tomorrow. 20% (or a tad more) is still doable in today's market, though it's become sort of the ceiling. Something closer to 25% (~13/14 million viewers) would be incredible, so I'm hoping it approaches that mark. But I personally haven't seen a TV show or movie broadcast get to 25% in at least a few years unless I'm forgetting the finale of a big TV show. I know the finale of at least one or two TV shows got near 30% (one may have even been closer to 40%) in recent-ish(?) years, but I think those may have been closer to 10 years ago than the 5 years I have in my mind.

(Note: I'm excluding the Tokyo Olympics here which did 56.4% (or around 31 million viewers) with its Opening Ceremony, and then 46.7% (or around 26 million viewers) during the Closing Ceremony. And then probably had several events do 15-20% or 8-10 million+ viewers throughout).

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I have already watched Mugen Train on Netflix twice since its release so I am guessing a lot more people would be doing that as well. It was a different experience from theaters, plus the ability to pause and replay some of the scenes really helped in my case.

To my knowledge, Mugen Train isn't available on streaming in Japan. It was released on home video back in June, but I don't think it'll be available to stream until the end of the year/sometime in 2022. Someone correct me here if this is wrong. I just haven't seen Mugen Train anywhere I checked.

TV broadcasts, while declining, are still pretty big in Japan. A lot of people still gather around the TV at a scheduled time to watch their favorite TV show, or to watch the televised broadcast of a popular movie. Japan probably has some of the highest TV ratings in the world, and has for quite some time now I suspect. Mugen Train will be receiving its first TV broadcast tomorrow night.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

I am not sure much about the tomorrow viewer ratings. First, although it is a Saturday night, the time slot between 9-11:40 pm may exclude seniors and families with kindergarten and elementary-aged kids from the audience. From various NHK's shows that I watched, Japanese elders and families with very young kids often go to bed early. Second, the broadcast will be on the Fuji TV premium block program, so viewers need to subscribe or some sort of things to watch.

I assume the peak of viewer rating will be around 10:45-11:40 pm when the final fight begins and the announcement about Season 2. People complained that Fuji TV's advertisement were so long, too :funny:.

For me, it is amazing that the production committee can keep the secrets about Season 2 until this points despite the massive popularity and numerous involved production parties. If Season 2 has the same production process like Season 1, a variety of famous studios may participate in again such as A-1 Pictures, Silver Link, CloverWorks, J.C Staff.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:28 pm
Wall-E

MSFK wrote:
Second, the broadcast will be on the Fuji TV premium block program, so viewers need to subscribe or some sort of things to watch.

It's the same channel as the reruns, premium is just the name of the timeslot.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:35 pm
The Dark Knight

Are those just Kantō viewers or viewers throughout all of Japan?

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:07 pm
Angels & Demons

From the translated article:
The fifth night of "Kamado Tanjiro Ritsushi Hen Special Edition" of the TV anime "Kimetsu no Yaiba" based on Koyoharu Gotouge's popular manga "Hashira Meeting / Choyashiki Hen" was broadcast on Fuji TV's national network from 7:00 pm to 9:20 pm on September 23, with an average audience rating (household) of 15.0% (Video Research survey, Kanto area).

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:41 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Corpse wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

To my knowledge, Mugen Train isn't available on streaming in Japan. It was released on home video back in June, but I don't think it'll be available to stream until the end of the year/sometime in 2022. Someone correct me here if this is wrong. I just haven't seen Mugen Train anywhere I checked.

TV broadcasts, while declining, are still pretty big in Japan. A lot of people still gather around the TV at a scheduled time to watch their favorite TV show, or to watch the televised broadcast of a popular movie. Japan probably has some of the highest TV ratings in the world, and has for quite some time now I suspect. Mugen Train will be receiving its first TV broadcast tomorrow night.

I realize that I was answering on the question that will people still see it again at home :thumbsup:

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 pm
Angels & Demons

Currently, in Japan, people are "crazy" about the TV broadcast of Mugen Train today. People even question if programs in the same time frame from TBS, Asahi, Nippon TV, and NHK can compete with the movie :funny:. Corpse's prediction of 20% may come true.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Got you. :thumbsup:

Predictions for the rating? About 20%? Comparable to the season one recap specials at 13/14%? Or will it reach 25% (or more)?

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:15 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm going with 22%

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:40 am
Angels & Demons

It will be stunning if the peak is equal to the Olympics' record. I just check the news again, today NHK has a drama, which is quite well-received. It may dilutes the movie's rating.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:11 am
The Dark Knight

総集編でこの視聴率なら『無限列車編』は、15%を軽く超えそうだ。個人的に20%は、行って欲しいと思っている。
因みにTVで放送された映画作品歴代最高の『千と千尋の神隠し』の46.9%(瞬間最高視聴率52.3%)は、さすがに超えないと思うけど。
Ref= https://twitter.com/YukiNara12/status/1 ... 94214?s=19

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758 ... 952  Next