Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Predict the Chick Flick Comedies 
Extraordinary

Post Predict the Chick Flick Comedies
I searched the numbers and it seems to me the first two are going to be Mrs. Congeniality II and BeautyShop. I don't know anything about Ice Princess so can't even judge what its supposed to be.

Miss. Congenialty II comes out March 18th:

The first one was released in late December right before Xmas, which already helps something like this. I saw it and it was alright, but I don't know how the second one will go. Now instead of posing like a beauty contestant she's poseing as a drag queen I think. Well, since she got the guy and was so loved at the end of the first one, I'm not sure this is going to have the same draw. like Connie & Carla. The first one did excellent in theatres though, with 106 million in domestic and 212 total b.o. This one is not going to do nearly so well imo. Maybe 65 million domestic and hitting 100-110 worldwide. I've seen no marketing and its not going to have the hidden gem long legs of the first one. Opening weekend will be ok, maybe in the mid 20 million range, and then it'll drop quick. Its not sure how this will appeal to the target audiance.

Beauty Shop comes out March 30th:

Well Barbershop did great the first time around 75 million and no one had even heard of it before. it had excellent legs and pretty strong reviews. The sequel already crashed asap making only 65 million in a much shorter time period and having production costs way higher than the original. i don't know how far they can go with the casual chit chat jokes if they don't tie it into something more...its like the Friday series. How many times can you check out the neighborhoods. In Beauty Shop apparently they decided to ground it to, well, women. There goes half the box office right there, not necessarily cause its bad or even that genedered, but I saw the trailer and it sure is being marketed that way. Its also third in the line already and seemed to be just about fun, none of the dicsussion the original had to roots and family heritage, etc. No secondary plots of robbery and selling the shop, this one is just a rags to riches straight out story. Lahtifah is a plus though, as her appeal generally increases what would have been much weaker numbers without her. She has a following, so I think it'll maybe pull 45 million with the opening weekend being huge 25 millionish and pretty quick drop. Maybe 10-15 more coming in the following week and then only 5-10 for the rest of its run.

Last edited by dolcevita on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:18 pm
College Boy Z

Dolce, dolce, dolce, there's already a thread for Miss. Congeniality 2. :wink:

Anyways, I think Beautyshop will do okay, but no where near the other two.

Opening: $15 million
Total: $45 million

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:31 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

:oops: Sorry, i only did a search for Beauty Shop and decided to latch the second one on after already having started the thread because I didn't think there would be enough interest in predicting it just alone. I thought it would be interesting to comapre/contrast audiances since they're both struggling with similar markets. Though honestly I think Congeniality is targetted towards a slightly younger audiance which will be its saving grace, and will have some action scenes. Since Shop is going to be more paced and dialogue heavy, and targetting older audiance, its actually going to suffer from being formalized more than MissC.

Zingy, I guessed 45 for Shop too! That must be a lucky hit for me if you made the same call.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:39 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Among those two, I believe Beauty Shop will come out the winner. Im not sure what the movie is opening up against, maybe Unleashed?. It will probably make around Barbershop 2's 50+ million gross. As for Miss Congeniality 2, Sandra hasnt had a hit for a long time and the last time she starred in a sequel it bombed despite Speed making over 120 million

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:41 pm
Extraordinary

Among those two, I believe Beauty Shop will come out the winner. Im not sure what the movie is opening up against, maybe Unleashed?. It will probably make around Barbershop 2's 50+ million gross. As for Miss Congeniality 2, Sandra hasnt had a hit for a long time and the last time she starred in a sequel it bombed despite Speed making over 120 million

But didn't she do the first installment coming out of nowhere as well? I tend to go counter yours. They're only one week removed, so will have same time contraints, the only difference is if the 15 year olds or the 25 year olds will bring more money to the theatre. I think it goes to the former, since their demands even as high as re-makes are less stringent. Speed 2 crashed (hehehe bad pun) because firstly it was in water, so that's not as hard to maintain a rate, and secondly Speed was actually an adult flick. Proving that adults do take their movies, even their remakes, a little more seriously than young 'uns. I think There is no way the first Congeniality will drop from 106 million to less than 50, while Beauty Shop would have to make almost the same amount as its predecesor despite the fact we know numbers fall with each consecutive installment plus there will be a small part of the former fan base that will be turned off by the female version of it.

MissC will go over Shop by at least 20 million.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:49 pm
Hot Fuss

El_masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:

But didn't she do the first installment coming out of nowhere as well? I tend to go counter yours. They're only one week removed, so will have same time contraints, the only difference is if the 15 year olds or the 25 year olds will bring more money to the theatre. I think it goes to the former, since their demands even as high as re-makes are less stringent. Speed 2 crashed (hehehe bad pun) because firstly it was in water, so that's not as hard to maintain a rate, and secondly Speed was actually an adult flick. Proving that adults do take their movies, even their remakes, a little more seriously than young 'uns. I think There is no way the first Congeniality will drop from 106 million to less than 50, while Beauty Shop would have to make almost the same amount as its predecesor despite the fact we know numbers fall with each consecutive installment plus there will be a small part of the former fan base that will be turned off by the female version of it.

MissC will go over Shop by at least 20 million.

I agree. Beauty Shop won't be as big as BS2, and MC2 will do slightly better than 13 Going On 30.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

Beauty Shop opens on March 30th, against Sin City and The Weather Man. Miss Congeniality 2 opens on the 24th, against D.E.B.S and Guess Who, not to mention the second weekend of The Ring 2 and the other chick flick (albeit one that caters to a younger audience) in March, Ice Princess.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:59 pm
Extraordinary

Weatherman could definately detract, but Sin City is a completely different audiance, that's one that isn't going to matter I don't think. MovieDude, which do you think will gross more then? MissC I assume?

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:04 pm
New Server, Same X

Open: $16.7m
Total: $65.3m

Beauty Shop
Open: $15.3m
Total: $41.2m

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:55 pm
College Boy T

From Justin to Kelly
Club Dread
Tupac: Resurrection
The Order
Alone in the Dark
House of the Dead
Elektra
Major League: Back to the Minors
The Jerky Boys
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Never Die Alone
Formula 51
Battlefield Earth
Say It Isn't So

are the only movies (financed by big studios...) that have opened in more than 1000 theatres (from what I've checked), with more than $2m for the weekend, that haven't doubled their opening weekend. Although I appreciate your input and I KNOW it isn't the thing you normally do, it's really doubtful that BeautyShop will open to $25m and fail to make $50m, dolce. ;)

These are all a bunch of misses with the audience and the critics, and only Frankenstein, Battlefield Earth, and Elektra opened ABOVE $10m. None opened above $20m.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:16 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
OK this isn't a comedy but they are Chick Flick dramas

------------

As the Upside of Anger is out already - yesterday I saw a trailer for another chick flick - drama.

Something about the sisters of the traveling jeans - probably based on a famous book.

It stars younger tv stars in the movie.

There are four but 2 I recognized

- Joan of Arcadia star
- The girl from The Gilmores - I was bummed caused she was the first girl shown and I thought it was a Christina Ricci movie.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]