Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Flash/Elemental weekend thread 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Flash/Elemental weekend thread
Spider verse and Guardians are also excellent movies. Everything DC has made the last few years besides The Suicide Squad has been poop

Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:58 pm
Extraordinary

Now that the Superhero era is coming to an end i wonder what will the next big genre be.

Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Superhero era will never come to an end. The pandemic had a negative effect on quality. Too much tinkering in the cutting room for their own good. Not to mention overstauration. There’s about 4 marvel shows I haven’t even watched yet, and 4 films. I’m do for a binge though so I’ll catch up. I couldn’t care less for DCU until they reboot

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:05 pm
Hold the door!

Overseas box office seems down. Like almost nothing seems to be getting more than 300m overseas, whereas prepandemic 600m+ overseas hauls were common. Is it just China or is something going on in other countries as well depressing the box office?

Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:20 pm

China, Eastern Europe, and the whole Russia Ukrainian war is definitely paying a toll. The overseas dependent franchises like Fast, transformers especially. They were smart not to make another pirates film, would have done horrible overseas by franchise standards.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:53 am
Extraordinary

Deadline's weekend analysis really seems more non-sensical. They seem to be trying to tie in the stars inability to do press and late show appearances due to the writer's strike and not wanting to talk about Ezra as a big reason why it disappointed.

The Shazam team did tons of press everywhere and we know how that turned out.

Also read that The Flash had nearly 43% of its $55.1M gross come from PLF. That compares to 6% for Elemental (which did get a higher % in 3D). So nearly half of The Flash's gross is with high priced tickets. So at regular ticket prices, Flash may have done closer to low $40Ms. Makes The Green Lantern look like Titanic.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The biggest problem to me was that the film's audience consisted of 70% over 25, and 63% male. Very little appeal to younger audiences when superhero films really rely on them to do well, not to mention needing a little better than female support than this. Seems like it largely only appealed to older hardcore DC fans.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I read on some of Deadline's comments and Twitter parents that just weren't comfortable going to watch The Flash. Spider-verse, TLM, Elemental were pretty much serving that market and it's hard for him to be anchoring a movie catering to families given what's been out in the press over the past 2 years.

It's the equivalent of if you see Armie Hammer starring in a romantic comedy. The star's personal life was so publicized that its hard not to start feeding into their movie performances.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

O wrote:
I read on some of Deadline's comments and Twitter parents that just weren't comfortable going to watch The Flash. Spider-verse, TLM, Elemental were pretty much serving that market and it's hard for him to be anchoring a movie catering to families given what's been out in the press over the past 2 years.

It's the equivalent of if you see Armie Hammer starring in a romantic comedy. The star's personal life was so publicized that its hard not to start feeding into their movie performances.
Hehe.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:28 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
This should be the final nail in Ezra Miller’s Hollywood coffin. I’ll never have to look at his stupid face or annoying voice again

That's the silver lining in all of this! :funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
This should be the final nail in Ezra Miller’s Hollywood coffin. I’ll never have to look at his stupid face or annoying voice again

That's the silver lining in all of this! :funny:

Glad he's going back to doing small movies now :) he's a good actor

Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:59 pm
The Dark Knight

zwackerm wrote:
Overseas box office seems down. Like almost nothing seems to be getting more than 300m overseas, whereas prepandemic 600m+ overseas hauls were common. Is it just China or is something going on in other countries as well depressing the box office?

Exchange rates. The dollar is up significantly vs many currencies.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:12 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, very strong USD brining the numbers down all over, plus less earnings from China (and Russia obviously) in general still as the recovery there has been really slow.

$700/800 million is a really strong WW total this year. Definitely a lot harder for films with $200m+ budgets to make a profit in theaters alone right now.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

They need to keep their budgets under control, but I'm guessing with inflation it's getting increasingly difficult.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:32 pm
Extraordinary

There's a simple way to keep budgets under control - make 2 hour movies instead of 2 1/2 hour or 3 hour movies...

Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not to defend the studios too much as budgets were already out of hand but we're still going through a slate of tentpole movies that had to deal with Covid protocols, shutdowns, etc.

Mission Impossible 6 budget (2018): $178M
Mission Impossible 7 budget: $290M

Tens of millions were required during all of those shutdowns as everyone stayed employed.

The combination of fewer stars with real star power, inflation curbing, cost controls of companies due to the economy and no longer needing all the Covid protocols I believe should stabilize budgets within 1-2 years.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:14 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Keaton returning as Batman should have been such a big deal. I think that's the biggest disappointment of all. Instead it will fight to match No Way Home's opening day.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:20 am

Don’t disrespect Keaton, 55 million turned up to watch his short film, the other 700k were Neo Nazis that enjoy Ezra Mueller!!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:35 am
now we know

If it had had Kilmer and Clooney and Affleck as well then it would have been a draw. But Keaton alone is kinda meh. Remember, not everything that is Internet popular translates when it means spending your actual money. Keaton being a draw was obviously just on the Internet

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Algren wrote:
If it had had Kilmer and Clooney and Affleck as well then it would have been a draw. But Keaton alone is kinda meh. Remember, not everything that is Internet popular translates when it means spending your actual money. Keaton being a draw was obviously just on the Internet
:whistle:

I think we all just expected, since Maverick was so huge, that 80s action stars were back in style. Instead, looks like Goth Batman and Indy have both been left behind.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:26 pm
now we know

Cruise isn't seen as an old man. That helps

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

If Bale, Pattinson, Clooney, whoever played Batman in Batman Forever, and Keaton had been in it Far From Home-style, then yeah, there would've been huge hype. But no one is checking for Burton's Batman films in 2023. They are dated and a bit forgotten I'm afraid... even though they're great.

Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

They needed Bale in this to have the same impact as Maguire

Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:05 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Shack wrote:
They needed Bale in this to have the same impact as Maguire

Yeah Bale making an appearance would've immediately shot this to $100M+.

But he would never betray Nolan like that who I'm sure wants nothing to do with DCU or WB at all: https://www.indiewire.com/features/gene ... 234603016/

I'm sure the DC people offered Bale a ridiculous amount of money to do it. WB owns the rights to all those films so they wouldn't need Nolan's consent. But he obviously said no, so they had to go further back and settle for Michael Keaton. Bringing him back was a desperate attempt at a Far From Home situation that backfired massively.

Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:01 am

I think a straight up Batman 3 directed by Tim Burton would have been big. This just feels off.

Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next