Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Screen Counts/Crowd Reports for April 8-10 
Wallflower

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

SAHARA
12:30pm show
35% of 283 seats full
Bill's reaction: 5.5/10
Crowd: 2/4

Link for more info: Bill's SAHARA crowd report

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

No crowd reports from me tonight. We decided not to go to the movies. I didn't care that much, since both openers I can wait for.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:17 am
Indiana Jones IV

Guys, my theater was pretty slow, nothing spectacular. It seems to me that Sin City lost at least 70% of business from Friday, it's looking that bad at my theater. The only show that sold out was the 9:10 show which was in a 155 seater, and the next show at 10:10 in the 365 seater got about 2/3 full. This was the theater that had 6 shows sell out in the 300 to 400-seaters last week. That's just plain sad. Maybe people just don't want to see a black-and-white movie. I see Sin City only making 10~11 million this weekend (I predicted 13 million).

The openers, well they didn't do bad, more than my predictions. I predicted only 10 million for Sahara, that was just plain dumb. It sold out the 7:30 show on a medium 140-seater and the 9:30 300-seater got about 2/3 full. That's a little better than what Sin City did today at my theater so I see it beating that, but nothing too spectacular. I see a 4~5 million opening day.

Same with Fever Pitch. The 7:20 in our biggest 400-screen got about half full, then the 9:00 in a 200-seater sold out, then the 10:00 got about a 1/3 full in the 400-screen theater, so about on par with Sahara. Something in the 4~5 millio opening range, on par with my prediction of 13 million, nothing close to Scott V's prediction, at least I hope not :wink:

So my projections based on my theater:

Fever Pitch - 15 million
Sahara - 14 million
Sin City - 11.5 million

but I'm just pulling these number out of my ass. But I'm never too off :wink:

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:31 am
King Albert!

Smile - sold only 5 tickets in it's first 3 shows.

Sahara
1:20 (250 seater) - 22% full.
2:10 (400 seater) - 6% full.
4:20 (250 seater) - 34% full.
5:25 (400 seater) - 24% full.
7:25 (250 seater) - 81% full.
8:10 (400 seater) - 63% full.

Fever Pitch
1:30 (250 seater) - 8% full.
2:15 (600 seater) - 8% full.
4:20 (250 seater) - 13% full.
5:15 (600 seater) - 7% full.
7:15 (250 seater) - 44% full.
8:10 (600 seater) - 34% full.

It was very neck to neck with these two movies, and easily the best performers tonight. Sahara sold more tickets, but Fever Pitch sold more in dollars (since lots of kids were in Sahara). And Fever Pitch sold alot of advance tickets in it's late shows, while Sahara hasn't sold any. So openings of 5-6 million on Friday are in store based on the business here.

In other news, Sin City got burned big time, nosediving 70% in during it's timeframe. Guess Who dropped 36%, Beautyshop dropped 65%, and Robots dropped an alarming 75%. Overall, it was soooooooooo sloooooooooooowwwww. I was sent home 2 hours early. This was the slowest Friday this year. Sahara and Fever Pitch sold over 35% of the tickets, and the rest didn't even come close.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:37 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Sin City's Friday-Friday decrease seems fine, as the weekend multiplier will be much much better than last weekend. I actually expect a Friday-Friday decrease of around 65% at least.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:40 am
Profile WWW
---------

That's a surprising drop for Robots. I hope it's just your theater. Who knew kids would flock to Sahara?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:46 am
King Albert!

That's a surprising drop for Robots. I hope it's just your theater. Who knew kids would flock to Sahara?

Actually, that drop was thanks to the inflated Friday matinees. To tell you the truth the whole area was slow, since the Angels stadium was only a mile away. Therefore, we were one of the least busiest theaters in the area (as opposed to the most).

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Great reports, guys! I still feel pretty good about my 19 and 18M predictions for Sahara and Fever Pitch. And looks like I may be right on Beauty Shop too. I do think Sin City will fall more in the 11-12M range for the weekend, and could have really helped those who predicted 60% drop, but most of us got fooled by the wrong daily numbers, and 13M seems to be at least on the low end of the predictions. So overall, I feel fine with my derby. The bottom half of the top 10 will decide it.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The guy at HSX reports that Kung-Fu Hustle is selling out the evening shows.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:02 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Great reports, guys! I still feel pretty good about my 19 and 18M predictions for Sahara and Fever Pitch. And looks like I may be right on Beauty Shop too. I do think Sin City will fall more in the 11-12M range for the weekend, and could have really helped those who predicted 60% drop, but most of us got fooled by the wrong daily numbers, and 13M seems to be at least on the low end of the predictions. So overall, I feel fine with my derby. The bottom half of the top 10 will decide it.

Eh, I don't know...I mean, Kill Bill Vol. 2 and The Punisher increased 109% and around 120% respecitvely despite direct competition from Man on Fire and both had similar weekend multipliers of around 3.25. I mean if it makes $11 million with that multiplier, the Friday gross would be around $3.4 million meaning an increase of around 95%. I just don't see it happening, I think an increase of at least 105% is a certain thing. With a 105% increase and a 3.25 multiplier, it'd make $11.6 million. However, given the nature of the movie and no direct competition like The Punisher and Kill Bill Vol. 2 had it, I expect an increase of more like 11% leading to a weekend gross of $12.2 million at the very least.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:

Eh, I don't know...I mean, Kill Bill Vol. 2 and The Punisher increased 109% and around 120% respecitvely despite direct competition from Man on Fire and both had similar weekend multipliers of around 3.25. I mean if it makes $11 million with that multiplier, the Friday gross would be around $3.4 million meaning an increase of around 95%. I just don't see it happening, I think an increase of at least 105% is a certain thing. With a 105% increase and a 3.25 multiplier, it'd make $11.6 million. However, given the nature of the movie and no direct competition like The Punisher and Kill Bill Vol. 2 had it, I expect an increase of more like 11% leading to a weekend gross of $12.2 million at the very least.

Well, I'm thinking the worst. :) My point is I'm not worried about Sin City since most predicted an equal or higher number for it. As long as it's below 13M, it won't be hurt me on the relative term, so I'll focus on the other ones.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

The daytime may have seemed slower than normal because last week was spring break(actually, not sure about your area) and the Friday before was Good Friday.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:15 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Good thing I left my 14.1 Million prediction for FEVER PITCH and didn't raise it based on everyone else increasing their predictions for it and its reviews and screen count. My prediction for SAHARA is 16.1 Million, which will likely be more than what it makes but still, it will be close enough.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 am
You must have big rats

Also, don't firget, the multipliers will be really good this weekend. Last year, even the R-rated opener Man on Fure managed a multiplier of almost 3.15 over the weekend, so even if Sahara makes $5 million on its first day $16 million for the weekend is still possible. At the moment I hope for Fever Pitch to make $6 million and Sahara to make $5 million on Friday, but even in a worst-case scenario, I don't see them making less than $4 million each.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

AMC Palm Pam. 24
8:15, 750 seater, about 15% full.

Trailers - House of Wax, The Amityville Horror, The Devil's Rejects, Kung Fu Hustle, Unleashed, Mind Hunters

There were about eight walk outs for this showing... This is my second viewing and I loved it even more, a definate A grade for me.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:27 am
Indiana Jones IV

Libs wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Well, I'll be seeing either Fever Pitch or Sahara tonight, depending on which one I make it to (or if there's a sellout).

Fever Pitch! See that, please.

Hey, Libs, as a die hard Yankee fan, would I hate it?

>
As a Yankee fan Maverick, you can enjoy the fact that there will not be a sequel....
cheers...

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

11:40 showing
200 seater, 25% full

Trailers:
Crash
War of the Worlds (I must see this!)
Cinderella Man
Kingdom of Heaven

Movie: Much better than I expected. A-

I will probably be seeing Sin City a second time tonight or Fever Pitch. Depending on the showtimes.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:33 pm
Indiana Jones IV

8:20
Loews 34th Street
300 seater 80% full

Trailers:
Batman Begins- whispering
xXx: State of The Union- nada
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy- lotsa laughs
The Island- nada

Review:
Sahara was basically a less coherent and intelligent version of National Treasure, which was then pumped up on movie-steroids and loaded with tons of action. It was suprisingly a lot of fun, and Steve Zahn was really good in his role. Overall, it was exciting, funny, and extremely entertaining.

B+

Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Went to see kung Fu Hustle today. AMC 25 right in Times Square. It was a 12.25 showing (after my class, heh) so I was surprised at how many people there were. But the theatre wasn't full at all, just more than i expected. maybe 60 or 70 people?

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:06 am
King Albert!

Here is what happened at my theater today.

Sahara increased 38% at my theater (we sold out the 8:25 show in a 250 seater).
Fever Pitch increased 30% (we sold out the 8:10 show in a 250 seater).
Sin City increased 45%.
Guess Who increased 35% (we sold out the 8:30 show in a 150 seater, and the 9:10 show in a 175 seater).
Beautyshop increased 40%.
MC2 increased 55%.
and Robots increased an impressive 120% here.

Overall, we recovered nicely from last nights dismal performance. Business was up 45% tonight.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Here is what happened at my theater today.

Sahara increased 38% at my theater (we sold out the 8:25 show in a 250 seater).
Fever Pitch increased 30% (we sold out the 8:10 show in a 250 seater).
Sin City increased 45%.
Guess Who increased 35% (we sold out the 8:30 show in a 150 seater, and the 9:10 show in a 175 seater).
Beautyshop increased 40%.
MC2 increased 55%.
and Robots increased an impressive 120% here.

Overall, we recovered nicely from last nights dismal performance. Business was up 45% tonight.

Well I think judging by how much Sin City increased at your theater we can expect a 50%-60% increase for saturday :smile:

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:03 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

SIN CITY
9:45 PM show
30% full

The trailers before the movie:

DOMINO - The trailer for DOMINO honestly isn't that great. But I love Keira and female bounty hunters rock, so I'm interested in it anyway. Once the trailer was over someone was like, "What was that movie about again?" and laughed. It was kind of lame how it kept saying, "My name is Domino, and I'm a bounty hunter" or whatever.

AMITYVILLE HORROR - Looks worse than I originally thought now.

KUNG FU HUSTLE - Looks alright! I saw the previews on TV before and at first wasn't interested because it looked like a serious martial arts movie, but then it looked kind of funny.

The movie:

I'd give it a 7/10 ( B ) - it was close to an 8/10 (B+). For awhile I thought it was only OK and it was in the 6/10 area (the stuff in the beginning with Willis wasn't very good and the stuff with Marv was alright - it improved as it went along), but then it got better with the stuff with Clive Owen and Rosario and Alexis and Devon, etc.... And then the stuff with Willis and Alba actually ended up being really good too. And I liked the ending. I'd probably give the stuff with Carla and Elijah and them a 6/10 (B- ), then a 7/10 ( B ) or 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Clive and the girls :razz:, and then an 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Willis and Alba.

I dug the movie though and definitely want a sequel. My nephew thought it was alright, but weird. When we got there he had to call his "dealer" to get some drugs and his dealer was going to meet him there. He was like, "We might have to miss the previews." I was like, "I'm not going to miss the previews! I love the previews!" And I wasn't going to miss any of the movie because when I go to the movies I'm one of the few young people that actually go to WATCH THE MOVIE!" ;) So he came in with me to see where I sat and then he went back out to meet his dealer. He came in like 15 minutes into the movie. He was like, "Is this whole movie in black and white?" :razz: I was like, "Some things are in color." ;) But when he came in he f-ing stunk so bad of drugs! I could have gagged. I told him he stunk. And he was like, "Really?" And he had me feel his bag of weed because he bought a big one ;). He actually wanted me to get high with him before the movie but I was like, "No, I want to be able to enjoy the movie." So my nephew put his weed away, and it didn't smell QUITE as bad. I took out the bag of gummy worms I bought at the store and snuck in ;) and that made up for the smell.

He smoked a joint once he got his weed and before coming into the movie. His breath smelled bad (I know from when he whispered to me). He said maybe he'd come stay at my house the night though but he'd just have to ask his mom. And I said that would be cool and I'd smoke one with him then. I didn't want to miss any of the movie. I hate missing the beginning of the movie and even the trailers.

I didn't hear any positive comments on the way out though. Someone was saying, "The dialogue was so bad and over-the-top." I was thinking, "Hello, it's supposed to be that way!" And others were saying the movie sucked. I dug it though. I might have been the only one out of everyone that did ;). The theater was only 30% full. I can see how people would hate it though. It's an acquired taste.

Some say SIN CITY is demeaning to women but I actually thought it rocked how the women basically ran things. I don't think it was demeaning at all. They were in control.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:42 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Last night:

SIN CITY
9:45 PM show
30% full

The trailers before the movie:

DOMINO - The trailer for DOMINO honestly isn't that great. But I love Keira and female bounty hunters rock, so I'm interested in it anyway. Once the trailer was over someone was like, "What was that movie about again?" and laughed. It was kind of lame how it kept saying, "My name is Domino, and I'm a bounty hunter" or whatever.

AMITYVILLE HORROR - Looks worse than I originally thought now.

KUNG FU HUSTLE - Looks alright! I saw the previews on TV before and at first wasn't interested because it looked like a serious martial arts movie, but then it looked kind of funny.

The movie:

I'd give it a 7/10 ( B ) - it was close to an 8/10 (B+). For awhile I thought it was only OK and it was in the 6/10 area (the stuff in the beginning with Willis wasn't very good and the stuff with Marv was alright - it improved as it went along), but then it got better with the stuff with Clive Owen and Rosario and Alexis and Devon, etc.... And then the stuff with Willis and Alba actually ended up being really good too. And I liked the ending. I'd probably give the stuff with Carla and Elijah and them a 6/10 (B- ), then a 7/10 ( B ) or 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Clive and the girls :razz:, and then an 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Willis and Alba.

I dug the movie though and definitely want a sequel. My nephew thought it was alright, but weird. When we got there he had to call his "dealer" to get some drugs and his dealer was going to meet him there. He was like, "We might have to miss the previews." I was like, "I'm not going to miss the previews! I love the previews!" And I wasn't going to miss any of the movie because when I go to the movies I'm one of the few young people that actually go to WATCH THE MOVIE!" ;) So he came in with me to see where I sat and then he went back out to meet his dealer. He came in like 15 minutes into the movie. He was like, "Is this whole movie in black and white?" :razz: I was like, "Some things are in color." ;) But when he came in he f-ing stunk so bad of drugs! I could have gagged. I told him he stunk. And he was like, "Really?" And he had me feel his bag of weed because he bought a big one ;). He actually wanted me to get high with him before the movie but I was like, "No, I want to be able to enjoy the movie." So my nephew put his weed away, and it didn't smell QUITE as bad. I took out the bag of gummy worms I bought at the store and snuck in ;) and that made up for the smell.

He smoked a joint once he got his weed and before coming into the movie. His breath smelled bad (I know from when he whispered to me). He said maybe he'd come stay at my house the night though but he'd just have to ask his mom. And I said that would be cool and I'd smoke one with him then. I didn't want to miss any of the movie. I hate missing the beginning of the movie and even the trailers.

I didn't hear any positive comments on the way out though. Someone was saying, "The dialogue was so bad and over-the-top." I was thinking, "Hello, it's supposed to be that way!" And others were saying the movie sucked. I dug it though. I might have been the only one out of everyone that did ;). The theater was only 30% full. I can see how people would hate it though. It's an acquired taste.

Some say SIN CITY is demeaning to women but I actually thought it rocked how the women basically ran things. I don't think it was demeaning at all. They were in control.

I Think your full of shit Mike saying Amityville looks worse than originally.. :laugh: Your just spewing that bullshit cause you know it's gonna whip the fuck out of HIGH TENSION(Dubbed TCM III and Friday the 13th Part 12) next weekend and do so with NO PROBLEM.. I can't fucking wait for this..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next