Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Early March 25-27 Predictions 
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Ms. congeniality 2- 20million

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

2. The Ring Two 19 million (Assuming a 40 million weekend)
3. Miss Congeniality 2 12 million (three day)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:25 am
Sbil

Wow, these are some major underpredictions for Miss Congeniality 2, I'm thinking. If The Wedding Date somehow managed to open to $11M on less than 2000 theatres, explain to me why this won't get a lot higher than that on 3,000+ screens.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:28 am
Award Winning Bastard

Wow, these are some major underpredictions for Miss Congeniality 2, I'm thinking. If The Wedding Date somehow managed to open to $11M on less than 2000 theatres, explain to me why this won't get a lot higher than that on 3,000+ screens.

You're just being a bias fangirl. :razz: j/k

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:30 am
Indiana Jones IV

shades033 wrote:
Maverikk wrote:
Just curious, has Sandra Bullock ever had a sequel perform well? Even in her day (which seems to have passed), I can't remember if she had a successful sequel, and if that is indeed true, I can't see it happening all of the sudden now.

She's only had one sequel before and that was 8 years ago with the real star of the movie having dropped out. I see Miss Congeniality 2 being more like Legally Blonde 2 than Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason...but I still see it only doing $25 million or so in its first four days (don't forget that it opens on Thursday!)

Yeah, I think Legally Blonde 2 is the perfect comparison for Miss Congeniality 2. Although the difference between the first and the sequel ($96M vs $90M) will not be as small this time ($107M vs. about $65M, perhaps). I do think $25M in 4 days would be excellent for this movie, though.

not really Legally blonde opened 4th of july weekend...i wouldnt hope for simliar numbers, and LB had a bigger appeal toward younger folk...

18 M - MC2
28 M- GW
(-64%) - R2

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Armed and Fabulous - 22 million 3-day, 26 million 4-day
Ring 2 - blah, maybe 13 million

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:03 am
Extraordinary

Both Miss Congeniality 2 and Guess Who will hurt each other this weekend

3day
Miss Congeniality 2 - 24 ( It's a chick flick, we saw how Wedding Date did 11mil in only 1600 theaters )
Guess Who - 18 ( This would be Kutcher's highest debut as leading role )

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:16 am
Where will you be?

Well, for starters, The Wedding Date's trailer wasn't booed when I saw Hitch. Also, that had Valentine's Day coming up. Not to mention Bullock has been off-the-map for some time, and this looks thoroughly unnessecary. And as Alex Young pointed out, sequels to movies with broad appeal toward women never do well. Bridget Jones, The Ring, Legally Blonde, Charlies Angels, all were overpredicted (I'd say Tomb Raider, but you can't really count that as having much female appeal ;)). And while my younger sister and her friends went wild for the trailer for Beauty Shop and Legally Blonde, they all think this looks awful. When I saw Hitch with a group of about eight guys and girls, not one of us thought it looked anything but awful. I dunno, I just really think that this will be yet another WB sequel dissapointment. As cool a company as they are for giving out press passes and posters (I don't think any studio gives more back to moviegoers), they really can't make comedy sequels work.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:04 am
King Albert!

What's with all the low predictions for MC2. The trailers have gotten great reaction from the audience's. I mean, that matters alot. Remember how most of you underpredicted Are We There Yet because you didn't pay any attention to the audiences reactions.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

What's with all the low predictions for MC2. The trailers have gotten great reaction from the audience's. I mean, that matters alot. Remember how most of you underpredicted Are We There Yet because you didn't pay any attention to the audiences reactions.

Na man, Are We There Yet's trailers got huge laughs, so I predicted that accordingly, but this has only gotten groans everytime I saw it. People clearly didn't like it with Constantine, and they practically booed during Hitch.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:55 am
King Albert!

Scott Vasquez wrote:

Na man, Are We There Yet's trailers got huge laughs, so I predicted that accordingly, but this has only gotten groans everytime I saw it. People clearly didn't like it with Constantine, and they practically booed during Hitch.

It got big laughs with the Meet the Fockers crowd. Isn't that what matters?

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:

Well, for starters, The Wedding Date's trailer wasn't booed when I saw Hitch. Also, that had Valentine's Day coming up. Not to mention Bullock has been off-the-map for some time, and this looks thoroughly unnessecary. And as Alex Young pointed out, sequels to movies with broad appeal toward women never do well. Bridget Jones, The Ring, Legally Blonde, Charlies Angels, all were overpredicted
Um, even though they were over predicted 2 of them still did over 90mil, and Ring Two still will do 38-40mil its first weekend out. So only one of them didnt do so hot ( Bridget Jones 2 ) For a sequel to a movie that did over 100mil and will be in 3000+ theaters, 12mil is WAY lowballing it, it's appeal ( 30+ year old women ) will flock to the movie.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:41 am
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Libs wrote:

Well, for starters, The Wedding Date's trailer wasn't booed when I saw Hitch. Also, that had Valentine's Day coming up. Not to mention Bullock has been off-the-map for some time, and this looks thoroughly unnessecary. And as Alex Young pointed out, sequels to movies with broad appeal toward women never do well. Bridget Jones, The Ring, Legally Blonde, Charlies Angels, all were overpredicted
Um, even though they were over predicted 2 of them still did over 90mil, and Ring Two still will do 38-40mil its first weekend out. So only one of them didnt do so hot ( Bridget Jones 2 ) For a sequel to a movie that did over 100mil and will be in 3000+ theaters, 12mil is WAY lowballing it, it's appeal ( 30+ year old women ) will flock to the movie.

Y'know, you're right. Analyze That and The Whole Ten Yards are much better comparisons. Oh, and not a single women I know, over or under 30, has ANY interest in this. Maybe it's just my audiences, but I've heard nothing but hate for Miss Congenialty 2.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:10 am
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
Libs wrote:

Y'know, you're right. Analyze That and The Whole Ten Yards are much better comparisons. Oh, and not a single women I know, over or under 30, has ANY interest in this. Maybe it's just my audiences, but I've heard nothing but hate for Miss Congenialty 2.
Obviously you hit Ring Two right on the money, so I guess you would know what people wanna see and dont just by asking a few people you know.....

All I know is that MC2 will do a better then Wedding Date did, especially with almost 1500 theaters more, even if it sucks bad, chick flicks shouldnt be taken lightly.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:22 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I think if a comedy like The RING II can probably make around 40 Million or less(more likely less :laugh: ) than Miss Congeniality II stands just as good of a chance at grossing the same amount, or in the ballpark range of that.. I'm gonna say Miss Congeniality II will make 32 Million next weekend and the RING II to plummet like a comet hitting earth and make less than 20 Million.. A 55%-60% drop for the RING II is what I predict..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think if a comedy like The RING II can probably make around 40 Million or less(more likely less :laugh: ) than Miss Congeniality II stands just as good of a chance at grossing the same amount, or in the ballpark range of that.. I'm gonna say Miss Congeniality II will make 32 Million next weekend and the RING II to plummet like a comet hitting earth and make less than 20 Million.. A 55%-60% drop for the RING II is what I predict..
I've been hearing Ring Two feels more like a parody then a sequel, theres suppose to be this one scene where these bucks just come out of nowhere and start attacking the car the kid and his mom are in, for no reason. Just out of the blue.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:52 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB_The_Man wrote:
I've been hearing Ring Two feels more like a parody then a sequel, theres suppose to be this one scene where these bucks just come out of nowhere and start attacking the car the kid and his mom are in, for no reason. Just out of the blue.

Not only that but I heard there were CGI Deer and they looked pretty bad, plus the chick in the well was CGI to in some parts I heard..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

The difference is that something like THe Ring lends itself well to a sequel because the last movie left a lot of questions open. Miss Congeniality was a complete story in itself and whenever you try to make a sequel to a comedy like this, it's going to seem forced and people tend to be skeptical. There have been very few successful comedy sequels in recent years...The Whole Ten Yards, Analyze That, Bridget JOnes, even Be Cool isn't going to make as much as the original. The difference is that Miss Congeniality is to Sandra Bullock as Legally Blonde is to Reese Witherspoon...a defining role that is loved by many women and girls even years later. This doesn't mean they'll all rush out opening weekend but I do think it will be something that they'll choose if they see the name on the marquis.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Guess Who $12.4m

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This will be this year's BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE box office wise. Just wait.

MISS CONGENIALITY 2: ARMED AND FABULOUS - $22.7 million (3-day)/$26.1 million (5-day)

THE RING TWO - $19.1 million

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:51 am
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Miss. Congeniality 2 has gotten some big laughs at the reactions I saw. However, not only is it being released on Thursday (taking away from it's weekend, slightly), but it's got to deal with Guess Who?.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Sbil

Miss. Congeniality 2 has gotten some big laughs at the reactions I saw. However, not only is it being released on Thursday (taking away from it's weekend, slightly), but it's got to deal with Guess Who?.

Yeah, Guess Who might come out on top. However, I think we're going to see solid openings from both, so it doesn't really matter.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:32 pm
Wallflower

I was thinking THE RING 2 would be #1 again next weekend even with a 55% drop before it opened so disappointingly. Now it will be #3. But since it opened so small I'm going to predict only a 50% drop instead, which would give it something like 18 Million.

#1 should be MISS CONGENIALITY 2 but GUESS WHO could end up being #1 instead. Right now I'm predicting a 3-Day total of 21.1 Million for MISS CONGENIALITY 2 and a 4-Day total of 24.1 Million. GUESS WHO I'm predicting a 19.1 Million opening for. I see a sleeper.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:14 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

By looking at Guess Who trailers, its seems like its a date movie also so with it competiting against Miscc Congeniality 2, I cant see how the two movies will be close in the money range. One of them has to bomb since most of the audience will flock to either one of the two. I think Guess Who will be the one that loses since Ashton Kutcher's only big box office movie was Butterfly Effect and Bernie Mac had his chance with a sports movie that didnt do too well. Some of you may say that we shouldnt underestimate the urban audience but like any genres especially horror, it doesnt mean that they would flock to Guess Who. Not to mention that Beauty Shop opens the following week and thats my money is the movie that will do very well

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:22 pm
Top Poster

due to peer pressure, I raise my MC2 3-day prediction to $16 million. I guess given that it's Easter weekend, middle-aged people and senior citizens are more likely to rush out than catch it later in its run. I guess I should've taken into account that senior citizens loved the first one (I've heard praise by 70-year olds at a hospital), and Easter weekend will give them more incentive to see it opening weekend rather than later in its run. Perhaps there will be organized masses of senior citizens that will buy big groups of tickets for this movie (I remember being in a theater for Tea with Mussolini in 1999 when 50-60 senior citizens all walked in at the same time).

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next