Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: A New Year Begins! (2022)
Nothing at the moment.

Almost 1/4 of the cases nationwide in recent days have been from the island of Okinawa, due to the U.S. military base outbreak. Japan banned all non-Japanese citizens from traveling to the country last month, but U.S. troops are allowed to enter and move about the country freely.

All U.S. military personnel and troops (over 100,000 stationed in Japan) are now under curfew and required to wear masks when off base (apparently, authorities at the bases have been very lax). They'll likely announce restrictions in Okinawa in a day or two, but it provides very, very little to the box-office. Okinawa hosts almost half of all U.S. military personnel and troops in Japan.

Of course, since it's now out there, it'll likely continue to spread more throughout the country, but right now the numbers outside of Okinawa are far from peaks or anything. If restrictions occur for theaters, it'll likely be closing early again. But as we've seen with this in the past, and even when the capacity limits were in place, it doesn't really affect the box-office very much. It just puts a cap on how much a film an earn in a single-day/weekend. So there's a very short-term impact, but little/no long-term impact as business is spread out which boosts the legs a good deal. (Remember all the crazy weeks/months of very small holds at various points in 2020/2021?)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

At the Usual Locations, on Friday (OD), (2pm -> 7pm -> Final)

Far From Home (46,638 -> 94,767 -> 149,951)
Endgame (92,022 -> 154,583 -> 248,394).

Endgame seemed more frontload than FFH in the OOD

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:46 am
The Dark Knight

Endgame at 2pm was 107,521....

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:53 am
Wall-E

Pretty great for spidey so far. It's pretty close with Endgame at same time w/ midnights for both.

Last edited by JustLurking on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

For Saturday, but we're comparing Fridays for now.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, encouraging start so far. If it matches Endgame for the day/weekend, it'd certainly be an impressive result (~40/50% jump over Far From Home if the weekend is steady).

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:10 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Corpse wrote:
For Saturday, but we're comparing Fridays for now.

Sorry for silly mistake (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:20 am
Star Trek XI

At the Usual Locations, on Friday (OD), (2pm -> 7pm -> Final)

Far From Home (46,638 -> 94,767 -> 149,951)
NWH (85591 ->

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:22 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

You're good. :mer:

I'm not mistake-proof either.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Already matched its finals at 6PM and ahead of endgame right now, though I think endgame will win the evenings. But still a great increase even if it doesn't beat endgame honestly.

Saturday doesn't look much worse if at all off a quick glance at PS (almost every show at shinjuku is atleast 50% except for the late nights with plenty of 80%+ for example), so I'm thinking tomorrow will probably deliver as well.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:07 am
Star Trek XI

Filmark: 4.7/5
Eiga: 4.5/5
Yahoo Movie: 4.35/5

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 am
The Dark Knight

Endgame got crushed by three Spiderman lol... I think ¥1.2B in 3-days possible <( ̄︶ ̄)>

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:23 am
The Dark Knight

one last PV....( ˘︹˘ )

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:39 am
The Incredible Hulk

Guys do you have news about NWH ?
What do you expect for OW and maybe final run after OD ?

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:55 am
The Dark Knight

LPLC wrote:

Exceeded ¥500M sometimes at 21:00 LT, as per Yuki. Full day might near ¥550M (Max). As for the OW, it should be ¥1.2B-¥1.5B (3-days). and 4-days might touch ¥2B but anything above ¥1.5B will certainly be fantastic result. For the lifetime, it's a bit uncertain. Need 2nd Weekend to arrive to determine it's drop for further 3rd/4th/5th weekend.... to determine it's lifetime.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:06 am
The Incredible Hulk

Kanroji Mitsuri wrote:
LPLC wrote:

Exceeded ¥500M sometimes at 21:00 LT, as per Yuki. Full day might near ¥550M (Max). As for the OW, it should be ¥1.2B-¥1.5B (3-days). and 4-days might touch ¥2B but anything above ¥1.5B will certainly be fantastic result. For the lifetime, it's a bit uncertain. Need 2nd Weekend to arrive to determine it's drop for further 3rd/4th/5th weekend.... to determine it's lifetime.

If 2B in 4 days, 4B locked ?
Me I just want $40M, anything above that would be a bonus.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:04 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

¥550 million is likely too high/optimistic.

If we use Endgame, it should be around 305,000-315,000 admissions and ~¥475-490 million.
If we use Far From Home, it would be around 320,000-330,000 admissions and ~¥485-500 million or slightly more.

So, right around ¥500 million or maybe a tad more if we assume a slightly higher avg. ticket price. Very impressive.

Saturdays for MCU films are either on par with Friday, or see slight increases (this should see a bit of an increase, I'd predict), while they drop ~15/20% or so on Sundays. They're pretty consistent in this pattern, so something similar for No Way Home should be expected until we see otherwise.

It likely won't have Endgame legs (above avg. for an MCU film) after OW since Endgame was released the weekend before Golden Week, but I'd be surprised if it was as frontloaded as Far From Home (a tad below avg. for a MCU film). So something between them, perhaps? That'd give it around ¥5.5 billion-ish (near $50 million), assuming a OW right around Endgame which its Friday was very close to/on par with.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:09 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Agreed. ¥550M is just the maximum number or just an overestimate figure (I notice it has slowed down later after 21:00) that could be possible for it's OD. But, I just consider it as ¥500M-¥510M a limited boundary.

Corpse, Is Endgame OD ¥438M /¥440M or ¥505M? There is confusion within me (ノT_T)ノ ^┻━┻

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:14 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Endgame did ¥505 million / 329,000 admissions.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Fell slightly below in the evenings as I thought but that is fine IMO. Great increase.

I saw an actuals report of JJK being over 6.7b/4.9M admissions as of friday on mantan. No precise numbers though unfortunately.
https://mantan-web.jp/article/20220107d ... 0000c.html

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:31 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

JustLurking wrote:
Fell slightly below in the evenings as I thought but that is fine IMO. Great increase.

I saw an actuals report of JJK being over 6.7b/4.9M admissions as of friday on mantan. No precise numbers though unfortunately.

Very nice. Means the estimates so far this week are on the right path at least. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm very interested in it this weekend. It had the best hold in the entire Top 25 versus last Friday, which is pretty surprising given it had much higher to fall from. The Saturday increase will be quite good (normal Friday into a weekend now), so it shouldn't be too far off with last Saturday or weekend.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Corpse wrote:
JustLurking wrote:

Very nice. Means the estimates so far this week are on the right path at least. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm very interested in it this weekend. It had the best hold in the entire Top 25 versus last Friday, which is pretty surprising given it had much higher to fall from. The Saturday increase will be quite good (normal Friday into a weekend now), so it shouldn't be too far off with last Saturday or weekend.

How much NWH can increase on tomorrow based on presale so far? Is the presale data available?

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:44 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alo12345 wrote:
Corpse wrote:
JustLurking wrote:

How much NWH can increase on tomorrow based on presale so far? Is the presale data available?

JJK will see a big increase since it's a holdover.

No Way Home should see an increase too, but if it follows past MCU films, it'll be relatively small. Endgame was flat on Saturday, while Far From Home increased 16/17% I believe.

I posted a fairly in-depth outlook for NWH this weekend above, and where it should be aiming based on what we know so far. Presales for Sat won't be available until later this evening.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Wall-E

I didn't really count or anything to compare since I was busy, but I feel like saturday looks better than friday did on PS for NWH. JJK looks nice too, not saying it's disappointing if it doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if it only dropped 10-15% or so. Just gut feeling, again, I didn't really track but I did give a quick look.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:51 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, Saturday absolutely should come in higher than Friday (NWH), just not by a significant amount.

It's extraordinarily rare for a film to drop on Saturday unless some special event on Friday causes them to drop the next day. MCU films (on their OW) have some of the highest Friday shares over a 3-day weekend, however, usually around 30%. Saturdays tend to jump ~15/20% from Friday, while Sundays drop ~15/20% from Saturday to be similar to Friday again. Time of year plays a factor, of course, but this is the general pattern they follow under regular circumstances.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796, 797 ... 952  Next