Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 September 30-October 2 Predictions 

Which film will be number one?
Smile 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Bros 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Don't Worry Darling 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

September 30-October 2 Predictions 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: September 30-October 2 Predictions
You know when Seth Rogen has to tweet his love for the film and encourage people to go see it that it's not doing so well.

Could it be that Eichner is just not likeable and very few want to pay to go see his film?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am
now we know

It's almost too progressive. It feels like it's shoving gayness into people's faces and making them swallow a homo milkshake. Gay movies are accepted when they're prestige and respectful. Bros almost feels like the filmmakers believe 80% of the country is gay. It's over-confident.

But let's not write it off just yet. I believe its target crowd are rather impulsive, so it may do well with walkups.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:43 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

MadGez wrote:
You know when Seth Rogen has to tweet his love for the film and encourage people to go see it that it's not doing so well.

Could it be that Eichner is just not likeable and very few want to pay to go see his film?

I think the issue is nobody knows who Billy Eichner is. He has no claim to fame. What's he been in that was a hit? A small role in American Crime Story Impeachment (which was a flop)? He has less than 1M Instagram followers. He's not a star or a real celebrity.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:22 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
It's almost too progressive. It feels like it's shoving gayness into people's faces and making them swallow a homo milkshake. Gay movies are accepted when they're prestige and respectful. Bros almost feels like the filmmakers believe 80% of the country is gay. It's over-confident.

But let's not write it off just yet. I believe its target crowd are rather impulsive, so it may do well with walkups.

While I do think we should be able to make movies about ourselves in the same way that Judd Apatow has been making straight raunchy rom coms for years, you are right from a marketing perspective. Most people are only interested in seeing gay movies when it's an acclaimed arthouse thing.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:23 pm
Star Trek XI

Barrabás wrote:
Algren wrote:

While I do think we should be able to make movies about ourselves in the same way that Judd Apatow has been making straight raunchy rom coms for years, you are right from a marketing perspective. Most people are only interested in seeing gay movies when it's an acclaimed arthouse thing.

I agree with you, though I personally think this looks annoying and cringe as all hell but I’ve heard great things and will watch on streaming, I kinda feel like a bad gay but I will watch eventually lol, it just doesn’t appeal enough to me to rush out to see it in theaters

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:47 pm
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
While I do think we should be able to make movies about ourselves in the same way that Judd Apatow has been making straight raunchy rom coms for years

Yes, totally agree. And that is seemingly already the case. Bros is proof of that. Gay people can make whatever movies they choose. But equality of opportunity is not the same as equality of outcome. If said movies don't perform well, if the first place people go as a reason is homophobia then that will limit the equality of opportunity going forward.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

j_forest23 wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
Algren wrote:

I agree with you, though I personally think this looks annoying and cringe as all hell but I’ve heard great things and will watch on streaming, I kinda feel like a bad gay but I will watch eventually lol, it just doesn’t appeal enough to me to rush out to see it in theaters

One of my friends and I were so hard on this movie when the trailer released. We thought it looked really bad and obnoxious. He saw it on Friday and LOVED it. He's a tough critic too so I'm looking forward to it more now.

I do think nobody was going to go see this without star power. That's the biggest thing missing. If they could have gotten a Chris Evans or Channing Tatum or something to play opposite Eichner this would have done very well. I do believe they absolutely could have gotten either of them but they decided to go the gay cast route. That wasn't going to crossover. At the very least pad the supporting cast with star power. People you can show off in the ads.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:31 pm
now we know

Maybe Bros is being over-analysed? I'm sure there's a ton of ways to cut it, but maybe the only one that really matters is 'if you make something for a niche, that's the only people that'll show up'. Bros was made for gay men, Easter Sunday was made for American-Filipinos, Brahmastra Part One: Shiva was made for Indians, and Charlie's Angels was made only for young women. Nobody saw these movies because they weren't made for the masses. As much as they would like to argue, they were not inclusive. They were exclusionary to the majority of the country. It's not even a shame or disappointing - maybe next time try being more diverse and more people will show up. Diversity isn't something that need only apply to white, straight, male-dominated media.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

MadGez wrote:

It's probably a factor. I just checked his Twitter. Man, he's one obnoxious ass. Basically said that anyone that doesn't see his film is a homophobic bigot. This one comment summed him up well, "instead of accepting the blame he immediately shifts it onto the very people the trailer alienated. Billy Eichner, a true professional victim".

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I decided I’m gonna see it tomorrow on dicscoint movie theater day at my nearest theater because I’ve heard nothing but good things, hoping it’s a fun one!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:12 pm
Wallflower

j_forest23 wrote:
I decided I’m gonna see it tomorrow on dicscoint movie theater day at my nearest theater because I’ve heard nothing but good things, hoping it’s a fun one!

My friend asked if I wanted to see it with her tomorrow so I'm going a second time. Hope you enjoy it.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:43 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
MadGez wrote:

It's probably a factor. I just checked his Twitter. Man, he's one obnoxious ass. Basically said that anyone that doesn't see his film is a homophobic bigot. This one comment summed him up well, "instead of accepting the blame he immediately shifts it onto the very people the trailer alienated. Billy Eichner, a true professional victim".

Agreed - spot on. He failed and now wants lay blame on others.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Regarding Bros...

Billy DOES have a point, I'm sure a decent chunk of the film not doing well was homophobia, for sure.

But also, he's not an actor people want to see. And romcoms haven't been "in" for 20 years.

So: Unlikeable lead + no stars + romcom + gay = no money

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm
now we know

Eichner's expectations were just unrealistic. Bros didn't do bad for the level a gay comedy should be expected to reach. Its ceiling isn't The Hangover. Its ceiling is more like Love, Simon ($11.7m) or Brokeback Mountain ($7.8m), so its $4.8m isn't far off, and he should be pleased that so many people showed up. His reaction isn't good PR for him. It makes him look ungrateful towards the hundreds of thousands that bought a ticket to see his film. Whether he's happy with the opening or not, there's a way to react in the public sphere.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2