Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Could someone please explain this to me, SERIOUSLY?? 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Could someone please explain this to me, SERIOUSLY??
First of all, I swear I'm not trying to make excuses here, I'm really not and I understand that not everyone loved this movie or even liked it, I promise you that, but I do have a question that sort of does make 1 wonder: First of all, it's a crying shame that some folks and critics have to read into every little implausibilties in this Amityville Horror remake and read into every little detail in an effort to put this movie down and trash it.. I suppose you can't please everyone and I should've known this was gonna happen, but also what I find odd, is that at ROTTEN TOMATOES, they'll take a review of this that's average or even above average and make it a ROTTEN grade and I've seen ALOT of reviews there suggesting they do this, not just with this movie, but many others.. If a grade is, let's say, a "B+" or a "B-" or hell, even a "C" is that considered ROTTEN to cause that'a what I'm seeing right now?? :-k I'm confused by this and it almost seems like this is fixed to put the movie down or any movie, more than what it really is and should be?? :???: In my book, if a movie is ROTTEN, that means it had to of received a grade of under a "C", not a goddamn "B+" or even a "C".. Anyone else find that sort of, well, strange in how they determine what's bad and what isn't?? A critic could submit a review of this or any movie, point out the Pros and Cons of a movie, but in the end, the determining grade will still be considered by them ROTTEN with a splat and the Con's of the movie more recognized than the Pro's?? That seems very misleading and almost a crutch to say that NEGATIVE sells more than saying something is POSITIVE.. I find this interesting, but I would appreciate some decent explanations as to WHY they grade there movies this way, cause really that is sort of misleading in what's good and what isn't.... Again, I promise you I'm not trying to make excuses, but it's just really weird how they do this.. Thank you..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Every critic has a different grading scale ... I believe that when they submitt their review to RT, they must either select rotten or fresh. So I believe it is the critics choice and has nothing to do with rt.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

First of all BKB buddy, the critics hated the original as well. There wasn't a lot of love for it, not was there for the sequel, which I happen to think is one the best horror sequels ever. So the fact that they hated this one as well is no surprise. Thie thing about this film is that it already has main stream North America against it anyway because it is a horror remake. So just don't worry about it too much. TCM2003 wasn't really well received either and it made a killing. So who gives a fuck what a bunch of crusty sanctimonious curmudgeons think about a movie that you love. Fuck em.....you liked it and that's all that matters. I can't wait to see it on Monday.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:30 am
Profile WWW

First of all BKB buddy, the critics hated the original as well. There wasn't a lot of love for it, not was there for the sequel, which I happen to think is one the best horror sequels ever. So the fact that they hated this one as well is no surprise. Thie thing about this film is that it already has main stream North America against it anyway because it is a horror remake. So just don't worry about it too much. TCM2003 wasn't really well received either and it made a killing. So who gives a fuck what a bunch of crusty sanctimonious curmudgeons think about a movie that you love. Fuck em.....you liked it and that's all that matters. I can't wait to see it on Monday.

Your right.. I just found it odd that alot of the reviews pointed out the Pro's in the movie, then the Con's of it, then they end up giving it a ROTTEN splat, even when there were more Pro's then Con's.. I just found that rather interesting, But your right though.. :wink:

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

You obviously liked the first one, right? So tell me, without giving away any spoilers, does this one follow the story quite faithfully? I have avoided reading any spoilers about the film, so be kind. :)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:49 am
Profile WWW

You obviously liked the first one, right? So tell me, without giving away any spoilers, does this one follow the story quite faithfully? I have avoided reading any spoilers about the film, so be kind. :)

I would say that it's on the same story principle that's like the original and the novel and starts off with a BANG and doesn't let up.. The original movie never followed the book either with it being 21 days VS 28 days like the novel.. The remake has the family there for 28 days, Jodie is the Defeo girl in this(and creepier than the chick from the RING) and watch for the babysitter scene, plus they take a few facts from the novel "Murder in Amityville" that explains about the house being built on an ancient indian burial ground where witchcraft and sacrifices took place that involved a Man named John Ketcham that the original movie didn't.. I guess I knew well ahead of time that they would base this remake LOOSELY on the novel and the thing of it is that both critics and moviegoers seem to forget is that when it says "BASED ON A TRUE STORY" that means based loosely, not 100% exact like the book and that's where I think the purists went berzerk in their reviews of this.. I think you'll enjoy this quite a bit if you can keep the mindset of what I just said and not expect it to be exactly like the novel.. In a perfect world, it would be like that, but in reality, no movie adaptation is ever 100% spot on, hell not even 50% if your lucky.. Still, this is hands down the best horror movie I have seen in a long, long time and it's rare for me to see a horror movie and jump and jolt and have sweaty palms when it's over and the hair standing up on the back of my neck like this, something I did not get from the PG-13 horror movies.. Last night's viewing had a couple of people walk out with some of them coming back minutes later to stick it out and it wasn't to use the restroom either..

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

God, let it rest. Critics don't like it, audiences don't like it. There is a million threads on AMITYVILLE, just post this in one of them.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Who cares if critics and *some* viewers didn't like it? I mean, as long as it met your expectations, that's all you should care about. Frankly, I could care less what everyone thinks. I gave this baby an A, but if someone else gave it an F, it's their choice.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:23 pm
Teenage Dream

This movie plunged from when the reviews started. When it got its first 5 reviews it had 100% and now with 94 reviews it has 28%. That isn't good.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:26 pm
Romosexual!

This movie plunged from when the reviews started. When it got its first 5 reviews it had 100% and now with 94 reviews it has 28%. That isn't good.

WOW! 28% :shock:
one of my friends saw it last tuesday (special screening) and luved it.
she luved that it truly scared the crap outta her. and it helped that she never saw the orignal before this but is
now planning on renting it. lol

===========================

dude Spider-Man :D LUV YOUR SIG PICS!! :wub:

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:35 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Just saw this tonight and its the best horror film since the original Ring back in 02. The crowd loved it. I give it an "A" for sure.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:38 pm
Wallflower

Well a "C" is bad and should be considered Rotten. I don't like movies I give C's to. I gave SPANGLISH a C+ and still my thumb is down.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]