Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What's the highest grossing import of 2005 going to be? 
Where will you be?

Yeah, it's definitely not just a horror movie. While watching it I remembered how Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman were talking about how the next project they'd do would be a horror movie, because this definitely does seem like it could be Spike Jonzes, albeit all of his style likely without the substance for the most part. It looks incredibly trippy and pretty damn cool. If it was distributed by any company besides Fox Searchlight I'd have doubts since it may be a hard sell, but they have a knack at getting almost any movie to do really well (there two latest entries aside). As is it could do a good 20 milion. And with Kung-Fu Hustle, I only think it'll be the biggest foreing movie if no other one makes 30 million, and I'm sure that there will be at least something. It might just not be clear what so far. Oh, and who is distributing Howl? I hope it's not Disney again, because they did a terrible job marketing Spirited Away. I think it's picked up a very large following since then of people that will definitely see this, so I gotta agree with Lecter that it'll surely do well. The problem with Steamboy and Appleseed and those really visually amazing animes that have been bombing is this: 1. They are too much marketed exclusively at adults, and the only ones who'll see them are hardcore anime fans. The ones that break out have family or at least some mainstream appeal. 2. They have been poorly distributed. 3. Wonderful Days aside, they just ain't very good and reviews make that very clear.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:49 am
Extraordinary

Just saw the trailer for Night Watch Lecter, no way does it get to the double digits. I think at most it'll make 7 million. I have to say I am going to down my prediction for Kung Fu Hustle as well. Not having anything to do with what I thought of the movie (I'm not telling since I'm working on my review first) but just, I can tell the appeal and saw who was in the theatre. It won't make it to 15.

That leaves Howl's or some movie we don't know about yet?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:11 pm
Horror Hound

But.

1. Its' only in select cities :(

anyone else shit theirselves at the start of that trailer?! i did!!

The bus flipping was just awesome.

It looks like Underworld, except actually Good.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:38 pm
Full Fledged Member

I want to know more about this movie. I haven't seen much in the way of Russian flicks, and have no idea how well they're been received here in the Box Office. I think Russian Arc (which is the last one I saw) only made about 3 million, but it was a very different movie. Still, it had its pull here, being the longest uneditted shot, and having the entire caste of hundreds (thousands?).

I shall tell to you, Night Watch has knowingly collected such impressive sum of the Russian hire. Film has made strong impression upon me. It really is one of the most interesting and intense films of a genre of mysticism-horror. The American trailer looks much better, than Russian. Also I wish to notice, that rating R at film deservedly because in film it is a lot of blood, and there are terrible moments.

Certainly, this my personal opinion.

Also forgive me for my English, please ;)

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

Yes, but mysticism-horror isn't the biggest market here. I mean, I don't want this to sound too offensive, but, Keanu Reeves seems to be the King of mysticism-horror movies here, which should say something about if the people buying those tickets are going to want to hear russian and read subtitles. Bash away, but its true. I've noticed a devout international horror fanbase, but those are the people that pounced on Ringu. How many people loved The Ring and still didn't bother even being interested in the original? Many, subtitles are an issue. They just are, when it comes to this type of movie. This could also be about a desire to really watch the details closely, and not want to worry with reading. EVen I miss a little with subtitles, and I'm used to it, but would probably be less likely to see horror films in it than other genres.

Mad Max, I assume oyu've already seen it seeing your comments and location. If you like (who am I kidding...I would like) you can start a thread on it over in the over seas and indies forum. We can discuss other aspects of it than BO there. Thanks for the insight and welcome to the forums.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:05 pm
Lover of Bacon

I would love the highest grossing to be Night Watch, i loved the trailer, but i agree it doesn't really have any mainstream appeal at all. I loved the shot in the trailer where he sees the brain as a series of veins, fantastic. I just can't see it making more than about $5million though.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:13 pm
Full Fledged Member

I think, it will be possible to create topic then when people will look film. Then it will be possible to discuss any moments, etc. And so if you want can ask something about film. May be, after that also the desire to go at cinema will disappear:)

About prediction movies. Night Watch will earn not much money, becouse it will start in the big competition to other films
- Fantasy movie "The Brothers Grimm" and fantastic film "Sky High". And rating R, and Some mistrust to Russian films.
May be, it will collect about 4000 from the screen.

Kung Fu Hustle will start well. "The hero" has collected a greater sum of money.

Kung Fu - under 15 millions.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
You must have big rats

I don't really understand why people say that Night Watch doesn't have mainstream appeal. I mean you can just as well say that Underworld and Blade don't have mainstream appeal because both seem pretty similar to Night Watch at least as far as the trailers go.

It will all depend on the amount of marketing and the release pattern, but I think the fact that there was an American trailer released for it at Apple and that in different formats (unlike most foreign flicks) speaks for itself.

@Mad Max

Privet i dobro pozchalovat' na WOKJ :)

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well, if "Brotherhoof of the wolf" did almost $11M, I don´t see why "Nightwatch" can´t do at least the same amount.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Looks like Kung-Fu Hustle will have a good early lead on this race.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Yeah I agree with most posters here. Its going to be Kung Pow 2!:Enter the Hustle that would make at least 30 million here

Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:47 pm
You must have big rats

Looks like Kung-Fu Hustle is going to be quite a hit, but don't forget that originally great PTA's can be pretty misleading (just think The Motorcycle Diaries and Huckabee's). The real test will be next weekend. If Kung Fu Hustle manages to hold on to a $25,000+ PTA, then the run will be great, otherwise the expansion might not be as successful as hoped for. In any case, it will break $20 million in total gross terms.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

I still say it will be the boy who cried!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2