Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Screen Counts/Crowd Reports for April 8-10 
Wallflower

Mike wrote:
Last night:

SIN CITY
9:45 PM show
30% full

The trailers before the movie:

DOMINO - The trailer for DOMINO honestly isn't that great. But I love Keira and female bounty hunters rock, so I'm interested in it anyway. Once the trailer was over someone was like, "What was that movie about again?" and laughed. It was kind of lame how it kept saying, "My name is Domino, and I'm a bounty hunter" or whatever.

AMITYVILLE HORROR - Looks worse than I originally thought now.

KUNG FU HUSTLE - Looks alright! I saw the previews on TV before and at first wasn't interested because it looked like a serious martial arts movie, but then it looked kind of funny.

The movie:

I'd give it a 7/10 ( B ) - it was close to an 8/10 (B+). For awhile I thought it was only OK and it was in the 6/10 area (the stuff in the beginning with Willis wasn't very good and the stuff with Marv was alright - it improved as it went along), but then it got better with the stuff with Clive Owen and Rosario and Alexis and Devon, etc.... And then the stuff with Willis and Alba actually ended up being really good too. And I liked the ending. I'd probably give the stuff with Carla and Elijah and them a 6/10 (B- ), then a 7/10 ( B ) or 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Clive and the girls :razz:, and then an 8/10 (B+) to the stuff with Willis and Alba.

I dug the movie though and definitely want a sequel. My nephew thought it was alright, but weird. When we got there he had to call his "dealer" to get some drugs and his dealer was going to meet him there. He was like, "We might have to miss the previews." I was like, "I'm not going to miss the previews! I love the previews!" And I wasn't going to miss any of the movie because when I go to the movies I'm one of the few young people that actually go to WATCH THE MOVIE!" ;) So he came in with me to see where I sat and then he went back out to meet his dealer. He came in like 15 minutes into the movie. He was like, "Is this whole movie in black and white?" :razz: I was like, "Some things are in color." ;) But when he came in he f-ing stunk so bad of drugs! I could have gagged. I told him he stunk. And he was like, "Really?" And he had me feel his bag of weed because he bought a big one ;). He actually wanted me to get high with him before the movie but I was like, "No, I want to be able to enjoy the movie." So my nephew put his weed away, and it didn't smell QUITE as bad. I took out the bag of gummy worms I bought at the store and snuck in ;) and that made up for the smell.

He smoked a joint once he got his weed and before coming into the movie. His breath smelled bad (I know from when he whispered to me). He said maybe he'd come stay at my house the night though but he'd just have to ask his mom. And I said that would be cool and I'd smoke one with him then. I didn't want to miss any of the movie. I hate missing the beginning of the movie and even the trailers.

I didn't hear any positive comments on the way out though. Someone was saying, "The dialogue was so bad and over-the-top." I was thinking, "Hello, it's supposed to be that way!" And others were saying the movie sucked. I dug it though. I might have been the only one out of everyone that did ;). The theater was only 30% full. I can see how people would hate it though. It's an acquired taste.

Some say SIN CITY is demeaning to women but I actually thought it rocked how the women basically ran things. I don't think it was demeaning at all. They were in control.

I Think your full of shit Mike saying Amityville looks worse than originally.. :laugh: Your just spewing that bullshit cause you know it's gonna whip the fuck out of HIGH TENSION(Dubbed TCM III and Friday the 13th Part 12) next weekend and do so with NO PROBLEM.. I can't fucking wait for this..

I'm not kidding. I still think it will be good and I'll give it a 7/10 but the first time I saw the trailer I had thought I might give it an 8/10. This was the second time I saw the trailer and it just didn't look as good this time. That also happened with BOOGEYMAN. I thought it looked surprisingly good from the trailer the first time I saw it and then when I saw it again I lost interest. I had a feeling I might lose interest in AMITYVILLE if I saw the trailer again because I've been losing interest with the TV spots, which are underwhelming. I think I'll like it, it just doesn't look AMAZING like the trailer for THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake did. It has nothing to do with you hyping it up and I know it will do good at the Box Office. But I do know I'll love HIGH TENSION a lot more, and I've always known that.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

So what if he thinks it looks worse? He's entitled to his own opinion, as are you. There's no reason to say he's "full of shit."

I'm sure I'll love AMITYVILLE but HIGH TENSION was excellent and might be hard to top.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:37 pm
Profile YIM
Where will you be?

Saw the 7:10 show of Sahara at the Tigard Cinemas 11. It was pretty damn full for a Sunday show, but nothing mindblowing, maybe 30-40%. For a crowd of this size though, they had some great reactions, and there was some small applause at the end. The movie is a huge crowd pleaser, no doubt about it. I definitely see big legs for this. Trailers were:
Cinderella Man (Minor talking aftewards)
War of the Worlds (Silence)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Ugh, my suspicions were confirmed: Looks like that great self aware THGTG trailer was only with Sin City. We got the old trailer, where the only laughter was the head bang in the beginning)
xXx: State of the Union (Buzzing)
The Longest Yard (Lots of laughs throughout, this'll be huge)

Sahara cares about one thing, and one thing only: Entertaining you. And it does so in spades. No question, it's an unrealistic movie. But director Breck Eisner doesn't care. This is obvious in how he manages to use a mix of a furious pace, exciting action, classic 70s rock tunes and tremendous chemistry between Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn to create a film which is all but a guaranteed good time. The movie is unrealistic to the point that someone could consider it offensive, but the light swashbuckling tone and good naturedness of the film make it easy to go along for the ride. While Steve Zahn steals the show, the supporting actors have fun, and McConaughey is solid, Penelope Cruz is the movies main weak spot. With a rather boring and uninteresting character, she is nothing more then the average love interest, further solidifying that whenever she has a role that requires her to speak in English she is completely flat. However, this is only a minor bump on what's otherwise a roller coaster of a movie that, Kung-Fu Hustle aside, is the most fun at the theater since The Incredibles. A-

PS: Bravo to the ads for not showing so much of the action, they only give us a taste of what's in store.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:32 am
Horror Hound

"Dubbed TCM III and Friday the 13th Part 12"

This is laughable, and shows how much you actually know about horror movies....TCM 3 already exists....as does 4 (a shite remake with Mathew McGonaugh and Renee Zellweger) and then the real remake 2003.

Anyway, i'll be able to tell you on friday, if AMITYVILLE is better than HIGH TENSION or not.

I wonder if it could be.....am not ruling it out.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3