Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2022: Music In Review 
The Kramer

Post Re: 2022: Music In Review
47. Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar - A-

I liked this more than Damn. It doesn't have any huge hit singles on it, but I think top-to-bottom it's just stronger. Kendrick brings his usual sharp lyrics and smooth beats, and they are sharper and smoother than ever. There's a few skippable tracks in here which keeps it from a full A, but it's a huge double album and that is to be expected. Out of the 16 feature length songs, 13 are really good either by hitting hard as shit or delivering an important message. Savior does both of these things and is probably my favorite because of it. We're all guilty of celebrity worship sometimes and thus needed this dose of reality rap.

Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm
The Kramer

48. Everything Was Beautiful by Spiritualized* - C+

This is my first time hearing of this band even though they have albums dating all the back to 1992. That's the same time The Flaming Lips were breaking out, and this band most reminded me of them (though not as good) so it adds up. It's labeled as space rock, but would also feel comfortable around a campfire (a terrestrial one, don't blow up your spaceship kids.) The album itself is fine enough. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again but if they popped up at one of my festivals then maybe I'll check them out.

Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm
The Kramer

49. Headful of Sugar by Sunflower Bean* - C+

-This alternative act was pretty cool when the girl was singing, but I'll admit to groaning anytime the dude came in to take the mic. Luckily it didn't happen often enough to seriously affect the music ... but it was still too much. Who Put You Up To This is a great freakin song.

Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm
The Kramer

50. Rouge Carpet Disaster by Static Dress* - A-

This is a new band out of England and I'd describe their style as ... I dunno, post-hardcore mixed with pop-punk? Deftones mixed with Taking Back Sunday? Hard to explain without hearing it. I'd have the grade right on the border of A-/B+, but fuck it, they're new, they have a cool uniqueish sound and I'm gonna push them over for it. Sweet and Push Rope were my favorite songs.

Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm
The Kramer

51. Teaching A Robot To Love by Amelia Moore* - B-

-This is a very short record at only 16, but I guess it is more of a proof on concept than anything else. Meaning that is proves this girl can sing. Sing well in fact. I feel like I've heard all of these songs from people like Grande, so I'll be highly anticipating hearing what she does with more unique material.

Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:15 pm
The Kramer

52. Learning to be Happy by Kayleigh Goldsworthy* - B+

-This is some solid girl-pop-rock vibe, Beach Bunny adjace if you wanna call it that. Apparently she released a more folky album about 10 years ago then pivoted towards this way after a series of EPs and singles. I would have thought of her as younger, but I guess the lyrics are a little bit deeper than "my high school boyfriend broke up with me and I'll never love again now." A good find.

53. Mirrors In A Mausoleum by Noah* - D

-I usually don't give such low grades to new artists, mostly because I figure there's nothing stopping me from turning it off, and that finishing the album is a high praise in itself. However, for this rapper, I was just trying to find whatever song made me add it to my list in the first place. I must have done it by accident cause this was just boring from start to finish. Sorry Noah, you get the grade usually reserved for stuff like Justin Timberlake in the woods or Lorde on the beach.

I'm so backed up on my albums queue now. Still haven't even listened to Florance or The Smile (Thom Yorke + Johnny Greenwood ... but not Radiohead) and those have been out for a month! :funny: I mostly blame RiotFest as it had a lot of artists I was unfamiliar with and needed to check out. Also, since the Halsey concert last friday (which was incredible! best I've ever seen from a pop artist and on the level of Tool, Vampire Weekend, System of a Down, etc... as the best to do it) I have been semi-obsessed with her and have listened to all four albums at least twice in that span.

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:42 pm
The Kramer

54. Dance Fever by Florence + the Machine - B

-Florence Welch is a great singer and her albums are consistently good. The second album is a little bit better than the rest and the third a little bit worse, but you can always count on getting some high quality tracks. Dance Fever, at 14 songs, stretches a little too long for me, but I might come around on the later songs on further listens. I think this is her first time working with Jack Antonoff, and you can definitely hear his influence right away on the first track King and even more on the second track Free. You hear him everywhere these days, but combining with Florence actually gives them both a fresh feeling.

55. A Light For Attracting Attention by The Smile - C+

-I love Radiohead, they're one of my all-time favorites (not top ten since I've never seen them live, but right outside of it.) The Bends is perhaps their best record too (though OK Computer has the more iconic songs on it.) So you'd think that having Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood work together on a more guitar-based project than they'd been doing recently would be a huge win for me ... but it just didn't click for whatever reason. It's not bad by any means, but even though I just listened to the album yesterday I can barely remember a thing about it. Maybe I was just in a mood or something and a second listen will unlock what I didn't get the first time ... but I don't really wanna listen to it again either haha. Sorry guys, but I'll still happily drop $100+ to see the full crew live.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm
The Kramer

56. C'mon You Know by Liam Gallagher - B-

-As usual, Liam falls a bit behind Noel and the birds, but provides some damn decent Oasis adjace tracks.

57. SZNS: Summer by Weezer - B-

-Weezer's ambitious four-album year continues to go well. There's nothing on here that's as good as "Little Bit of Love" from the spring album, but the 21 minutes flow by swiftly.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:57 am
The Kramer

58. Pirates by Visions of Atlantis* - B+

-This metal concept-album is very long but pretty darn cool for most of the songs. Though they aren't breaking any new ground, the female singer is really good. I don't think they even really want to break ground. They're just doing what they want to do and doing it well - making an album about themselves as pirates.

59. Killing Nothing by Boldy James & Real Bad Man* - C+

-This hip-hop project, which has two people but only one rapper (I assume RBM is a DJ?) is a bit too samey to really enjoy all the way through, yet it does have some very high quality tracks on it. Ain't No Bon Jovi was my favoite.

Have also been listening to a ton of Placebo lately. I had heard "The Bitter End" while growing up, and heard it was supposed to be the greatest song ever made of all time ever. So, at the age of 14 or 15 they initially were offputting because of all the hype. Glad I gave them a second try! The first album is excellent with songs like Teenage Angst, Bruise Pristine and Nancy Boy standing out, but the rest of their catalog (Meds was the most recent one I listened so I still have a few more) is really good too, even The Bitter End sounds a lot better coming into it with a different mindset.

Bauhaus is the other big Riotfest discovery. Had never really heard of them before but they sound like a gothic Devo which turned out to be awesome. First three albums are great. Still need to listen to the reunion album from 2008.

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Glad you enjoyed Pirates. Question: Do you get paid to review albums, by any chance?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:52 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I wish! But nope, I just like listening to new stuff, preferably one new (for me) album every day. Posting album reviews and stuff on here has become part of the wake up my brain routine in the mornings (for me) before writing other stuffs.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am
The Kramer

60. Framing My Perception by Gold, Frankencense and Myrr (The GFMBand) - B+

-These girls combine metalcore and pop-punk very well and this is probably their best release to date (they have like 4 other 20 minutes EPs.) They were opening for Fozzy earlier in the year so hopefully we can get a performance on Dynamite or something one of these weeks. They deserve the exposure!

61. Gold Mouf by Lute* - A-

-This one has been sitting in my backlog for so long that I don't even remember how it got there in the first place. It ended up being a huge surprise though, a continuation of 2022's Chillrap Revolution with, and I know I repeat this often, smooth beats and sharp lines. My favorite songs were GED, Outta Sight and Finding Self, but the best lyric comes from the song Ghetto Love. "I need a girl that's named after a car, I can't afford a Mercedes, but I can go half on a baby and name her Alexus."

Great little set of two here to kick off a big week. Metric releases their new album Formentera tomorrow at midnight and it's gotta be one of my all time most anticipated. The lead single All Comes Crashing is sooooo good.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:51 pm
The Kramer

62. Formentera by Metric - B+

-I've listened to it 3 times now and am still having trouble with the grade. It has many songs that I like and will probably be listening to for the rest of my life (All Comes Crashing, What Feels Like Eternity, Oh Please, False Dichotomy, Paths in the Sky.) Yet something feels a little off compared to their four best albums (Art of Doubt, Fantasies, Live it Out, Synthetica) and I'm not 100% sure why. Well, other than Doomscroller being a very odd choice for the opener. So I tried moving it to the end .. and I still just don't like the song even though its got a solid beat and strong lyrics. Still though, even being a little bit off, Metric are at a point where they can do little wrong. Emily is an enchantress here with the words she writes and then later sings. And it is very musically ambitious ... maybe too much so, or maybe not enough. I dunno, maybe I'll have more coherent thoughts after the 30th or 40th time I listen to Formentera.

Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:24 pm
The Kramer

63. Denim & Rhinestones by Carrie Underwood - C

-Carrie sounds good as always, but I think that from a musical standpoint this was a lot less interesting than her last two records which played around with mixing stadium rock + r&b with her signature aww shucks country-pop.

64. All Girls Go To Heaven by Mint Green - B-

-I'm always down for some indie pop-rock with a girl singer. This group has released a few solid EPs which carried on to this, their first feature length album. The singles Body Language and What I'm Feeling are definitely worth checking out.

65. White Jesus Black Problems by Fantastic Negrito - C+

-Apple has this listed in the "roots rock" genre, which I think they might have made up just for this album. Call it world music if you like, though I guess that's over-simplifying it so maybe apple is actually on to something. Anyways, whatever you wanna call the genre, it is hit and miss with me. So while I really liked this guys 2018 album, Please Don't Be Dead, and mildly enjoyed 2020s Have You Lost Your Mind Yet, this one just kinda went by without anything sticking out.

Also listened to Formentera about a dozen more times and still feel like B+ was the right grade.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:11 pm
The Kramer

66. Nonante-Cinq by Angele* - A

-There's two things I can't stand in this world: 1) People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and 2) The Dutch. So a Belgian who sings in French having an album of the year contender was not on my 2022 bingo card. As we all know, French is the second best language behind English, but usually I can only get into foreign-language speaking music if it is metal (outside of a Bad Bunny song or two) since I wouldn't be able to understand the lyrics anyways. Now I wonder what people like Carly would sound like if they chanter en francais. Actually, I don't have to wonder anymore, cause it would sound a lot like this. Angele hits just the right balance (ton quoi) between bouncy pop anthems and emotive pop anthems. Libre is definitely the top song of the bunch, but also love Demons, Solo, Profite, Pensees positives, Plus de sens, On s'habitue, Taxi and Tempite.

Another big week ahead, though I'll try to keep my expectations in check after being way overhyped for the Metric. Still, new Beach Bunny (!!), Jack White and Ty Segall in one week is freakin awesome.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:46 pm
The Kramer

67. Into The Night by The Black Moods - C

A decent record from these hair/stadium rockers. It would play well opening for U2 or somebody like that. I did like their last album better though.

68. Outta Sight by The Sheepdogs - B

Sheepdogs, with their Dazed and Confused look and sound complete with shaggy guitar grooves, came into my world about ten years ago when Dan Auerbach (of the Black Keys) produced one of their records, which I liked alot. I didn't love the followup, so just assumed it was all Dan's handiwork, but now they've rebound! Turns out Sheepdogs had it in time then all along. They're like the America Chavez of 70s-inspired rock acts.

Beach Bunny review coming tomorrow. Spoiler - I liked it alot.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:45 pm
The Kramer

69. Emotional Creature by Beach Bunny - A+

-Lili and the boys take their emo/pop-rock sound to such a high level that it could only be fit for the cosmos themselves. The lyrics are on point as you'd expect, and the soaring hooks hit like a rogue comet. Weeds might be the best song she's ever made, and that's a pretty high bar despite her career still being so young. Entropy, Deadweight and Fire Escape are close behind, but Oxygen, Love Song, Scream, Gone and Eventually are all solid too. Just bangers front to back for 36 minutes. And I'm still just beyond impressed that the entire thing feels like she is playing a show on spaceship, making the long journy feel just a bit more bearable.

Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:20 pm
The Kramer

70. Radiant Bloom by Astronoid* - C+

-This is also space-themed if you couldn't tell by the name, but more of a post-rock-apocalypse. Not bad at all, but I dunno how long I'd wanna hang with these guys in the aftermath of fallen civilization.

71. Mercury by The Range - B+

-After six years of waiting, The Range finally returns with a new album. I've definitely fallen out of listening to electronic music on a regular basis, but this dude still gets it right for me. Would probably be my top choice to see live from that genre.

72. Farm to Table by Bartees Strange - B

-Bartees has a very interesting that blends several genres together, but not in a way that everybody else does if that makes sense. The alt-rock, soul and hip-hop blend together well in a way that many of his peers are not able to do. Dude has had an interesting life. He actually worked in the Obama adminstration as a press secretary and played college football too before settling down with music. Some people are just gifted and can do whatever the hell they want.

Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm
The Kramer

73. No Pressure by No Pressure* - B

-This 23 minute pop-punk album is a very breezy listen. There's no reason not to do it. Also, while I wouldn't call it heavy by any stretch, it does go harder than most of the recent pop/punk revival acts so that helps seperate it from the pack a little.

74. The Long Way, The Slow Way by Camp Trash* - C

-These emo/bummer rockers (think Wonder Years or early Brand New) have a song called "Lake Erie Boys" which appeals to me for obvious reasons. Aside from that song? Meh.

75. Household Name by Momma* - B+

-This sounds like the 00s version of alt-rock, but with a girl singer which was still strangely rare only two decades ago ... Fuck I hate when things I was around for are measured by decades. But this album was rated highly on ADM, and the lead single "Speeding 72" is very good, so even though its a new artist (for me, not sure how long they've been around for), there were still high expecations and I'd say they were met.

I'm several weeks behind on new releases again, but after getting these newbies listened to, will be catching up with the bigger artists pretty soon.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:28 pm
The Kramer

76. Never Let Me Go by Placebo - B+

-While I've always known about Placebo, I've only recently been converted into a fan (you can thank riotfest for this.) So I'm in a unique position where I listened to this new record right after binging through their entire discography. And I'd say its ... pretty close to most of their best work. Sad White Reggae stands out as it starts with a electronic dance beat, but by the second half transitions into a guitar heavy song. Pretty cool stuff. Happy Birthday In The Sky was my other favorite, though much more haunting than fun like SWR.

As a bonus, here's the definitive Placebo rankings in three tiers..

1) Placebo - easy #1 and in its own tier. Probably would be among my all time favorites if I heard it when I was young. Teenage Angst and Nancy Boy are both incredible songs.

2) Without You I'm Nothing - follow-up to the first was closest they ever got.
3) Meds - The fifth album went "back to basics" after an experimental phase.
4) Never Let Me Go - lets go new album
5) Black Market Music

6) Sleeping With Ghosts - I still don't get how this is their most popular but its pretty decent anyways
7) Battle For The Sun
8) Loud Like Love - these final two just kinda blended into the rest. Might have been better if they were listened to without those comparisons.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:06 pm
The Kramer

Switching from letter grades to numbers. Will edit the others at some point.

77. Rennaisance by Beyonce - 8.0

-Probably her best album ever, but also feels like the first time she's ever pandered to whatever the hot pop sound of the moment is. However, if that's what it takes to get Beyonce to make more discopop songs, I'm all for it.

78. Unwanted (The Antidote Edition) by Pale Waves - 6.1

-Not bad, but on first listen Jealously was the only real standout song, while their first two albums had many tracks that still stand out.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:57 pm
The Kramer

And that some point is right now. Mega list incoming. * = they were new (to me) at the time. Bold = the year's best.

1. Voyeurist by Underoath - 7.3
2. Dawn FM by The Weeknd - 7.3
3. Crisis Of Faith by Billy Talent - 6.5
4. Assassine(s) by Celeste* - 7.3
5. Suffer Summer by Chastity* - 6.8
6. Victims Of A Modern Age by Modern Error* - 7.0
7. [i]Zwanzig.Tausen Volt[/i] by Toxpack* - 6.7
8. Slut Pop by Kim Petras - 6.9
9. Lucifer On The Sofa by Spoon - 9.4
10. Ants From Up There by Black Country, New Road* - 7.0
11. Laurel Hell by Mitski - 6.0
12. Love Sux by Avril Lavigne - 8.5
13. Digital Roses Don't Die by Big K.R.I.T. - 6.0
14. God Don't Make Mistakes by Conway the Machine - 6.5
15. Drip Season 4Eva by Gunna - 6.1
16. If My Wife New I'd Be Dead by CMAT* - 9.7
17. Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You by Big Thief - 5.9
18. Duality by Luna Li* - 5.4
19. Ocean Creatures by Jane N' The Jungle* - 6.5
20. Impera by Ghost - 6.0666
21. Crash by Charli XCX - 8.8
22. Hygiene by Drug Church* - 7.0
23. In Dimes We Trust by Mike Dimes* - 8.5
24. SZNS: Spring by Weezer - 7.4
25. Rise & Fall of Slaughterhouse by Kxng Crooked and Joell Ortiz - 7.0
26. Pyramiden by Syk* - 6.5
27. Unlimited Love by Red Hot Chili Peppers - 6.5
28. Pep by Lights - 5.5
29. Humble Quest by Maren Morris - 6.5
30. Melt My Eyez See Your Future by Denzel Curry - 9.7
31. Romana Park Broke My Heart by Vince Staples - 5.6
32. Non-Perishable by tobi lou* - 5.9
33. Fear Of The Dawn by Jack White - 7.4
34. Familia by Camila Cabello - 5.3
35. Everything Is Fine (I'm Only On Fire) by Anna Shoemaker* - 7.5
36. Superghetto by Buddy* - 7.7
37. The Unraveling of PUPtheband by PUP - 7.0
38. Further Joy by The Regrettes - 6.8
39. It's Almost Dry by Pusha T - B+ - 7.2
40. Lose Your Delusion by A Wilhelm Scream* - 8.0
41. Zeit by Rammstein - 6.5
42. WE by Arcade Fire - 8.0
43. Psychic Jailbreak by Cancer Bats - 7.1
44. The Underground Sound by Joey Valance and Brae* - 5.5
45. Dropout Boogie by The Black Keys - 6.8
46. Ribbon Around The Bomb by Blossoms* - 6.8
47. Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar - 8.5
48. Everything Was Beautiful by Spiritualized* - 6.0
49. Headful of Sugar by Sunflower Bean* - 5.9
50. Rouge Carpet Disaster by Static Dress* - 8.3
51. Teaching A Robot To Love by Amelia Moore* - 6.9
52. Learning to be Happy by Kayleigh Goldsworthy* - 8.0
53. Mirrors In A Mausoleum by Noah* - 2.5
54. Dance Fever by Florence + the Machine - 7.0
55. A Light For Attracting Attention by The Smile - 6.1
56. C'mon You Know by Liam Gallagher - 6.5
57. SZNS: Summer by Weezer - 6.1
58. Pirates by Visions of Atlantis* - 7.7
59. Killing Nothing by Boldy James & Real Bad Man* - 6.0
60. Framing My Perception* by Gold, Frankencense and Myrr (The GFMBand) - 8.0
61. Gold Mouf by Lute* - 8.5
62. Formentera by Metric - 8.2

63. Denim & Rhinestones by Carrie Underwood - 5.5
64. All Girls Go To Heaven by Mint Green - 6.4
65. White Jesus Black Problems by Fantastic Negrito - 6.0
66. Nonante-Cinq by Angele* - 9.0
67. Into The Night by The Black Moods - 5.9
68. Outta Sight by The Sheepdogs - 7.1
69. Emotional Creature by Beach Bunny - 10
70. Radiant Bloom by Astronoid* - 6.0
71. Mercury by The Range - 8.1
72. Farm to Table by Bartees Strange - 7.7
73. No Pressure by No Pressure* - 7.0
74. The Long Way, The Slow Way by Camp Trash* - 5.8
75. Household Name by Momma* - 7.7
76. Never Let Me Go by Placebo - 8.0
77. Rennaisance by Beyonce - 8.3
78. Unwanted (The Antidote Edition) by Pale Waves - 6.1

Yes, that did take forever and double yes, I did already bump up Beyonce's grade.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 pm
The Kramer

79. Entering Heaven Alive by Jack White - 6.5

-Feels like Jack White just wants to open a old timey saloon in Westworld on this album, the second he has released this year. They're all solid songs, but I miss the big riffs.

80. Hello, Hi by Ty Segall - 8.1

-My favorite of his since 2018's epic Freedom Goblin (#2 album of the year behind only Metric's Art of Doubt.) That may not seem like so long ago, but Ty has a habit of releasing at least one album every year, usually several across his many different projects.

I'll update the big list and put it in the first post too.

Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Panic! At The Disco - Viva Las Vengeance (A)

Do It To Death - A+
Sad Clown - A+
Don't Let The Light Go Out - A
Sugar Soaker - A
Viva Las Vengeance - A
Star Spangled Banger - A
God Killed Rock and Roll - A
Local God - A-
Say It Louder - A-
All by Yourself - A-
Something About Maggie - B+
Middle Of A Breakup - B+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:56 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Glad you loved it! I haven't been on Team Panic since the very first album, but we'll always have 2006.

81. In The Wild by The Interrupters - 8.8

-These ska-punkers popped up on my radar back in 2018 where the song "She's Kerosene" placed in the top 5 of the year. While I don't anything on here is as good as that banger of a song, I think the album is overall the strongest I've heard from them. Just very consistent, very confident and very fun. Would recommend the two singles: In The Mirror and Raised By Wolves for anyone curious. Also really wish I had gone to see them play with Flogging Molly a few weeks ago. Next time!

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next