Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Added) 
The Kramer

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Top 10!)
Lols at Mudd. But honestly, Blurry came on a party a few years ago and I admit I sang along. You can still take it all away.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Blurry is alright. Control made the long list, but was eliminated pretty early.

8. Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park

If you're not a Linkin Park fan, you're probably getting annoyed now, but sorry!

Not going to dig into the lyrics because the full song pretty much called out to me. It was sort of a "all-purpose" song that explained any number of feelings and was easy to pop in to listen to in any sort of situation. I could go on about what the individual lyrics meant, but I'd be explaining practically the entire song, so I'll just leave this one here.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

7. Thoughtless - Korn

Essentially the "I'm tired of you guys, and I'm not going to breakdown, so... you ready?" song.

I never lashed out with an intent to harm (just to fight back), and only had two physical confrontations in High School (both sophomore year...maybe one was freshman year). I just guess that at this time that the size-difference between teens becomes particularly noticeable, so the juniors/seniors are much more likely to bully the much smaller incoming freshmen and such. And I wasn't an exception. 9th/10th years were the worst (but 11th/12th were relatively calm), and I had to retaliate twice because the school staff was just that ineffective (very "boys will be boys"). Thankfully after those two exchanges, most of the significant bullying ended.

Evanescence has covered this song a few times on tour (maybe just in their earlier years though), so if you like the song, check out their version/cover below!:

Spoiler: show

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

6. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

Last one today (final 5 tomorrow!), and I *think* it'll be a surprise.

I wouldn't really call myself a Goo Goo Dolls fan, exactly, but I have generally enjoy(ed) most of their music (although I haven't listened to anything after their Rest of Us album). Reliable casual fan probably describes me here. Just an overall solid band with a solid catalogue.

However, Iris was very, very special. I recall it playing heavily on the radio and on TV, so it was hard to ignore, but I enjoyed just casually hearing it. Then, I don't know, a half-year/year later or so I really got into the song once it had more personal meaning and wasn't just a "good song on the radio". I never fell for any of my close male friends, knowing and understanding myself and the potential issues relatively young helped I'm sure, but there were instances where I certainly had some longing feelings for a couple of them and wondered if there was something there.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Top 5!)
5. Pardon Me - Incubus

We begin my Top 5 with a song I've begun to listen to again, frequently, for the first time in years. I used to listen to this song when I needed a refresh, a new or different direction from a troubling path, an onslaught of problems, or from an escalating situation.

I associate this song with the phoenix and rebirth, of starting anew. Sometimes keeping things held together is a bad thing. Sometimes it's necessary to let the chips fall where they may, and move on as the ash blows away. Life can often be/often is a myriad of problems. So when it all begins to infect you, to really disrupt your life, the best way to handle it is to burn it all up. "Burst into flames" to rid yourself of it all. (Not *literally*, of course.) Make the decision to burst, burn all the nonsense away, and you don't feel like a "new person", you feel like a new you, a revitalized, stronger you.

I've had a "burst" myself in recent weeks due to how politics has utterly consumed practically everyone's lives to the point of disintegration. So many have let themselves become a walking talking blowholes of disease, with a vile desperation to find shared validity in their discordant lives and nothing else. I've had it with all that (them), and no longer engage with it, regardless of views, regardless of person. If politics comes up at work or with family, I either express total disinterest by interrupting them or just outright ignore everything they said like they're not there until they get it.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

4. My Immortal - Evanescence

Lingering ghosts can haunt you far more, far longer, than anything or anyone still present can.

I didn't use the word "suppress" in any other song on this list to describe the many negative emotions beneath the umbrella of fear, because My Immortal is the only song on the entire list that actually uses this word. Because it's the "absence of emotion".

So it's fitting to save it until it's used in the only song to describe the feeling as such, a feeling that is mostly only truly felt after experiencing all the other negative feelings and emotions first, before the suppression they all lead to consumes you. As the lyrics say, it's like all of you ("all of me") is missing, versus "a part of me" (like many of my previous entries, including my upcoming #3) or "parts of me" that so many other songs use to describe something similar, but not as consuming since "parts" can be replaced, sometimes for the better. Not an easy place to come out of, maybe the hardest, and this song and Amy's beautiful complimenting vocals tells this from the experience of a loss like no other.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

3. Freak on a Leash - Korn

If you've been following along over the last 20 entries, you'll clearly know I really like Korn. This is the their fifth and final entry, all five songs making the Top 25.

Freak on a Leash is another song about controlling record labels, but like many on this favorite subject of many bands, the feelings can easily apply to a wide range of situations which make them very relatable for most people. Many people experience being a "freak" at some point in life, and quickly wonder why life is out to get them as it tears and strips them down. And while I could go into detail about how many of the lyrics are relatable, my favorite was always "you'll never see me fall from grace." Throughout everything, every low-point, I'd always hang on, unyielding, always, in allowing anyone or anything break me completely. As long as a piece remains, you can rebuild yourself better than ever each time by replacing the broken pieces with more durable shiny ones.

Also, this video was, and still is, incredible. Without a doubt one of the greatest ever.

And if anyone who likes this song and never heard the acoustic version with Amy Lee, check it out below!:

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

A lot of Korn

The timeframe loses the Black Parade but I thought there might be more MCR as a teenage headbanger band... maybe top 2? Though I wouldn't be shocked if the top 2 was Numb and In the End at this point

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, MCR sort of barely missed my cutoff. I didn't listen to much of them at that point, and I'm Not Okay, while enjoyable, only made the long list (I'll share the list of songs, about a dozen, that didn't make it later).

IF I had gone up to 2006, then Welcome to the Black Parade would have been pretty high (at least Top 15/20, I imagine, and likely a couple others from the album (such as Dead) would be here too. There would also be a lot more Evanescence. There was already at 4 entries, but The Open Door album would have added at least 3 or 4 more if I didn't put some cap on them. So including 2006 probably would have made things LESS diverse since the top four or five bands would end up more dominant.

I'll have the Top 2 posts pretty soon. I might have to post them in quick succession in case there's any interest in what will be #1. Maybe... I actually think #1 will remain sort of a mystery, to an extent, if I only posted #2 and wait a little.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

#1 and #2 both Tarja era Nightwish obviously.

MCR's first two albums still very good!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

2. Make Yourself - Incubus

[Live-Version]

Matching Korn with five entries is Incubus! I wasn't surprised though, and like Korn, had to put a cap on them, otherwise the list would have become largely a "Top 55 Songs from Corpse's Top 5 Bands".

Make Yourself is a beautiful song. And if you're not familiar with their non-singles but enjoy Incubus, I recommend listening to it. (Although it may have been a promo track or something, and it was sung live a lot). The title track from the Make Yourself album stood out immediately when I skipped straight to it after buying the CD back in the day (I regularly listened to the title track first, if there was one). It was one of many amazing songs on an amazing all-time favorite album, and it resonated with me for years.

I considered it for #1 for a bit because I don't know if there's a song out there that has a better raw, true meaning behind it. It's far more than a "be yourself" song. It's as the title simply says, "make yourself". Make yourself, assemble yourself, make amends with yourself, fuck yourself. You won the lottery of birth. So go make it worthwhile and all you. It may take some work, but once you do so, you'll live a healthy life that can't be broken down. Otherwise, you'll fall into trap most do and have others make you, fucking you up in the process so that you crumble in the winds of life. I don't know of any other song, really, that gets to the very core of life. Living comes after making yourself.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I thought it'd be double Nightwish at 1 and 2. More Incubus is always welcome though. TheRinger had a piece up a few years ago about how 99 was such a great year for pop and bad for rock. Yet we got Make Yourself, Slipknot's debut, Rage's Battle for LA and Chili Pepper's Californication. Four all timers. Probably alot more that I am forgetting too!

If there's no Nightwish on the list then I think Downfall by TrustCompany will be #1.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

1. Numb - Linkin Park

Nice job, Shack! Linkin Park was the only band I couldn't even keep a cap on, so they ended up with the most entries, 6.

If you fail at making yourself, then this song is a pretty damn good reason to try again. It's hard to understand why so many people are so adamant on wanting everyone around them to be like them. Familiarity? Comfort? A "misery loves company" thing? Probably all the above x100 other things, and fear is definitely involved in many. Sometimes people do it in an attempt to "help", but it doesn't work that way. Humans learn from their own mistakes, and then build themselves up again having gained the knowledge from their failures. Failure is the best teacher, not someone/something trying to keep you from failing (they're the worst teachers). I might be getting off topic here a little bit, so let's move on...

Numb is the perfect song that pretty much sums all of this up. If you don't have the opportunity to learn who you are through failures, because you're being smothered, controlled, and as this song perfectly explains, "caught in the undertow", you're an incomplete, "numb", individual who can't figure anything out, let alone themselves. Society (or anyone, or anything) teaching us that "failure" is bad, should be avoided, and is even punishable in some ways, is perhaps the biggest load of bullshit out there. It's so damaging, and regressive-like in nature. "Do it again", "start over", "you know better",.... Do what, start what, and know what? If you don't acknowledge and accept it, you're just going to repeat get the same results again and again. And what's the definition of insanity? Yeah, exactly.

So... there we go! All done! I used some of these songs to "ramble" about either past feelings, experiences, and just in general, so hope you didn't mind reading that (if you did at all!). This was a lot of fun and positive retrospective experience.

Thanks for commenting! I'll share the full list in the next post for a recap, along with some songs I left off the list.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I thought it'd be double Nightwish at 1 and 2. More Incubus is always welcome though. TheRinger had a piece up a few years ago about how 99 was such a great year for pop and bad for rock. Yet we got Make Yourself, Slipknot's debut, Rage's Battle for LA and Chili Pepper's Californication. Four all timers. Probably a lot more that I am forgetting too!

If there's no Nightwish on the list then I think Downfall by TrustCompany will be #1.

I wanted to wait until after I posted the #1 before replying about Nightwish. Nightwish is far and away my favorite band by an immeasurable distance these days, and has been for a decade+.

However, I didn't hear too much of them until 2004/2005. Technically, they would make the cutoff, but the list was only going to include songs I actively listened to, enjoyed, etc., at that time (~1998-2005) to reflect those years, and exclude all other songs I grew to like the same/more afterwards. So Nightwish hadn't quite made their impact yet.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I like Numb/Encore a bit more than Numb, but both are good

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Turns out I had 56 here, so I eliminated I Want You (Savage Garden) since I accidentally included it in the first place! So it worked out well in the end anyway!

55. Across the Nation - The Underground
54. Headstrong - Trapt
53. Boom - P.O.D.
52. Broken - Seether, Amy Lee
51. Poem - Taproot
50. Girl's Not Grey - AFI
49. Disposable Teens - Marilyn Manson
48. Hypnotize - System of a Down
47. Feeling This - Blink 182
46. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me - Fall Out Boy
45. Demonoid Phenomenon - Rob Zombie
44. Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold
43. Break Stuff - Limp Bizkit
42. One Step Closer - Linkin Park
41. Move Along - The All-American Rejects
40. Bawitdaba - Kid Rock
39. My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne
38. Fatlip - Sum 41
37. Bleed Like Me - Garbage
36. Voodoo - Godsmack
35. Buried Alive By Love - H.I.M.
34. Last Resort - Papa Roach
33. Don't Stay - Linkin Park
32. Dirty Little Secret - The All-American Rejects
31. Stellar - Incubus
30. Going Under - Evanescence
29. Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters
28. Giving In - Adema
27. I Think I'm Paranoid - Garbage
26. Wait and Bleed - Slipknot
25. Girl All the Bad Guys Want - Bowling For Soup
24. Rollin' - Limp Bizkit
23. Got the Life - Korn
22. Dragula - Rob Zombie
21. Whisper - Evanescence
20. Crawling - Linkin Park
19. The Dope Show - Marilyn Manson
18. Falling Away From Me - Korn
17. All That I've Got - The Used
16. Why Do You Love Me - Garbage
15. When I Grow Up - Garbage
14. Somebody Someone - Korn
13. Drive - Incubus
12. Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
11. Papercut - Linkin Park
10. She Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd
09. New Skin - Incubus
08. Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park
07. Thoughtless - Korn
06. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
05. Pardon Me - Incubus
04. My Immortal - Evanescence
03. Freak on a Leash - Korn
02. Make Yourself - Incubus
01. Numb - Linkin Park

Tally (2+ Entries):
6 - Linkin Park (#1, #8, #11, #20, #33, #42)
5 - Incubus (#2, #5, #9, #13, #31)
5 - Korn (#3, #7, #14, #18, #23)
4 - Evanescence (#4, #12, #21, #30)
4 - Garbage (#15, #16, #27, #37)
2 - Marilyn Manson (#19, #49)
2 - Rob Zombie (#22, #45)
2 - Limp Bizkit (#24, #43)
2 - The All-American Rejects (#32, #41)

Top 10 Albums:
1. Meteora - Linkin Park
2. Make Yourself - Incubus
3. Fallen - Evanescence
4. Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
5. Follow the Leader - Korn
6. Issues - Korn
7. Version 2.0 - Garbage
8. Hellbilly Deluxe - Rob Zombie
9. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. - Incubus
10. Bleed Like Me - Garbage

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Longlist of songs that were eliminated and/or cutbacks:

Runaway, Breaking the Habit, In The End - Linkin Park
Privilege, I Miss You, Wish You Were Here, Nice to Know You - Incubus
Coming Undone, Trash, Twisted Transistor - Korn
Complicated, Sk8er Boi, Take Me Away - Avril Lavigne
Haunted, My Last Breath - Evanescence
Beautiful, Fighter - Christina Aquilera
mOBSCENE, Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson
Control - Puddle of Mudd
I'm Not Okay (I Promise) - My Chemical Romance
Whatever - Godsmack
Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
Youth of the Nation - P.O.D.
Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
The Kids are Right - Local H
Ride Wit Me - Nelly
Re-Arrange - Limp Bizkit
Starfuckers, Inc. - Nine Inch Nails

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Add
I like Meteora as the top album of the era. You could have also put Fallen or Toxicity at #1 and also been correct though.

My favorite Incubus album is actually Morning View! Not as heavy, but I just love the vibe of it.

Also, while I joked about some obscure bands from back in the day, I am surprised to not see Hoobastank on here! They were basically Incubus-adjace and have always worked for me.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Morning View is very good. I like it more now than I did then. I still prefer the heavier Incubus songs (SCIENCE/Make Yourself), but also appreciate and enjoy just about everything they've put out too. I've grown especially fond of Aqueous Transmission over the years, too, the last track on Morning View. Super relaxing, zen-like song.

I'm just not very familiar with Hoobastank. I never came across them outside of the radio/TV, and The Reason was what I associated to be their sound growing up. (Didn't have any friends who listened to them either.) I don't dislike The Reason, it's a good song, but it was a bit too "soft" and didn't cause me to seek them out beyond it at the time. I might very well have enjoyed them, and still might if I check them out today.

With Incubus, it really helped that SCIENCE was the first material I heard from them before they broke into the mainstream a bit later. I randomly bought that album when I picked up Follow the Leader when it was released. I had $25, and after Follow the Leader, I had like $8 left. And FYE had Incubus almost next to Korn, and I saw a used (very used) copy of SCIENCE that I could still barely afford. It was just a blind purchase, the idea being "this band is next to Korn, maybe they'll sound similar" as a kid. Of course, not really like Korn at all besides some loose nu-metal similarities, but I still really dug it, and it made me a fan of the band so that I'd follow along with their future releases.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

This song from their first album has 825 million views fewer than The Reason, but I think it holds up well!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I like it. I'll listen to the first 2 or 3 albums this week and get back to you.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5