Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Added) 
The Kramer

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers
Honestly they weren't even jerks. Just adjacent. They loved A7F and thought Linkin Park was dumb. I thought Linkin Park was awesome and A7F were dumb. Makes no sense when I think about it now, but it seemed very important back then. I don't remember my high school being very cliquey, but it's highly probable that I was just not paying attention.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

Corpse wrote:
Oh no... not Nookie, Flava'd! I guess it's okay if it helped get you into heavier music though. :P Sucks the jerks in your HS liked Avenged Sevenfold! Although, I guess it sort of depends the clique(s) one hung out with too, since one clique is often ruder or straight-out jerks to others outside their clique(s).

I hung out more with the emo, stoner, and band kids, who I found, personally, to be the nicest kids. And while I never went out of my way to be a jerk, there were still instances of some of them being overtly mean to others. The worst clique(s) to me were definitely the popular girls and jocks and such. And the occasional very mean redneck (lots at my school). Rednecks in generally weren't too bad, mostly gross and mostly kept to themselves, but there'd be that one every so often that was especially nasty (they tended to dropout too).

What's your favorite Limp Bizkit song, and/or song you first heard/enjoyed by them, Shack?

I think it was probably originally Rollin', though I like Break Stuff as well and came to appreciate My Way as their best song later after watching this video like 15 times when I started watching wrestling again

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Indeed. Great package.

40. Bawitdaba - Kid Rock

"Bawitdaba da bang da bang diggy diggy diggy / Shake the boogie said up jump the boogie". Short and...sweet. There isn't much to really say about this one. I think the video cuts off much of the intro/build-up (it's over a minute on the track itself), unfortunately, and it might be the best thing about it. It's just a good ol' fun headbanger. Didn't really like much if Kid Rock's music after this. Cowboy was alright, but everything after... no. But at least he gave us bawitdaba.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

39. My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne

I came close to having three Avril songs on the list (this, Complicated and Sk8er Boi), but ended up just going with the one. (Was already having to cut back a few other bands/artists I like more.)

I like all of Avril's music, which I breakdown as pop, punk, or rock. And the heavier material, being the most scarce, slightly edges out the rest. Take Me Away from this same album, the opening track, was also in consideration. I don't know how popular it was, but it might be her "heaviest" song overall and is great. So, if you guys haven't heard it (wasn't a single, but maybe it was a B-side or something), I'd suggest checking it out if you like rocker Avril.

Also, I don't if this song was meant as a follow-up to Sk8er Boi, but I always liked to think it was. She got the boy in Sk8ter Boi, the boy ended up not being what she wanted, and thus she didn't get her happy ending. A little depressing, sure, but it's realistic and solid songwriting/storytelling.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

38. Fat Lip - Sum 41

The "don't over-parent your kids!" song. Also a super-fun song to jump around to. Not relatable, personally, in most cases growing up, but still fun to enjoy in the minor instances.

I was allowed to go to every Friday night's all-night skates, for instance, from the age of 10. I was aware of why the older kids went and were doing after midnight under their blankets in the corners, or in the bathroom stalls, or outside to "get some air" for awhile, but I knew not to engage or participate in anything too troublesome. My parents were letting me be "free", why would I betray this given opportunity? Give your kids the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. Preaching that mistakes are always bad and should be avoided "or else", and sheltering them from the "bad", doesn't work out very well. Most are just going to want to see what that "or else" is, they'll be curious what these mistakes are by going out of their way to make them.

Parenting lesson over! I was glad, lucky it seems, that I wasn't pushed into an overtly rebellious phase (which sometimes even carries over into adulthood) by overprotective, controlling parents. It's interesting that the things many parents didn't want their kids doing was often the eventual outcome as a result of their own devices.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

37. Bleed Like Me - Garbage

Maybe a bit of an unusual choice for this list, certainly not jamming out to this one, but it was too impactful to leave off. In fact, this song, Enter Sandman (on my pre-list), and a song later on down the list were the only 3 songs in my Top 50 songs ever to make this list.

So why is it here? It's beautiful song about never having to feel alone in something.

I absolutely love the structure of this songs too. It's more of a story, really, and really helped me out a few times not just in high school, but also a bit after as well. All the lyrics, aside from the outro, consists of Shirley going over the problems of 5 different characters (Avalanche, Chris, Doodle, Therapy, and Jt), each dealing separately with an issue: an eating disorder, gender identity, suicide/cutting, drug addition, and alcoholism. And after Shirley sings a brief bit about each character and their problem, acting as a therapist or doctor here (figures not typically associated with having problems), they ask her if she bleeds like them, if she can she bleed like them. To which she responds, at the end of the song, "you should see my scars" several times, and finally, "try to comprehend that which you'll never comprehend". We all have our problems, and there are many different kinds. You're never alone. Everyone bleeds the same. We all have scars. Not my "favorite" Garbage song, but it's perhaps the most meaningful.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

36. Voodoo - Godsmack

I thought this song was about drug addiction growing up for the longest time. I never tried any serious drugs as a teen, so I never really related to the song in that way. I just really enjoyed its "creepy" sound and Sully's haunting-like vocals on the track. And the music video was cool. Turns out the song was largely non-sensical! I eventually looked it up, and there was no meaning behind any of the lyrics. Atmospheric song to enjoy on a Sony Walkman knockoff when taking walks in the woods at night too (until your batteries die). This is right up there as one of my most requested songs back in the day.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

35. Buried Alive By Love - H.I.M.

I was really into HIM until I wasn't. I discovered them during a particularly big emo period, but it came on pretty late and was gone relatively fast. Pretty much just like my interest in H.I.M. I still listened to them a bit afterwards, but their Love Metal album was the only one I ever was really into, and Buried Alive By Love was my favorite.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

34. Last Resort - Papa Roach

First... I almost wanted to tell Jacoby Shaddix to shut (the fuck) up like Chester shouts in One Step Closer when I listened to this again making this list. Almost. (Or at least relax.) But not 20 years ago. I never reached a point in life, teenage years or otherwise, where I seriously contemplated suicide, but it was still a wavering thought on rare occasions. "Would it be better than this?" Thankfully, I never really struggled to say yes with strong confidence a few seconds later on during those rare moments.

So I certainly understood and could relate to it, even if it was over-the-top a bit. But I had some friends, and classmates, who certainly took it more to heart. I grew up in a tiny poor rural town, so most of their problems stemmed from at-home issues, typically mental, but often physical abuse as well from their drug-addicted/alcoholic parents. I was poor as well, but my parents were loving and didn't let themselves get on anything serious no matter how hard things got. And they definitely didn't take it out on me. So I can't imagine what it must have been like for other kids who had to deal with not just the school bullying, but also abusive parents at home, essentially having no safe-space.

It's hard to say for sure, but I was pretty confident I helped a few friends, and by simply being kind to that loner in the corner, maybe the only kindness they'd even receive all day, I gave them something to hold onto until things got better.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

33. Don't Stay - Linkin Park

And we run into our first repeat band on the list, Linkin Park. From here, the list is far less diverse, but a few bands were just too impactful on me to simply include one song from them. And not all of them have even shown up yet either! Back to this entry, I consider it one of the best album openers ever. One of. Good song to listen to when feeling like you're either losing yourself or coming to realize someone or something, is changing you for the worst. Sometimes you just want to yell a little bit, hit reset, and this was a great one to do that to.

Also, Hybrid Theory was an incredible album. But Meteora was somehow even better and remains one of my favorite albums to this day.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Agreed that Metora is better. The lyrics feel alot more personal and relatable. I'd have it in my top ten albums of all time, maybe even top five. Hybrid Theory is still amazing from the top to the bottom though.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

32. Dirty Little Secret - The All-American Rejects

Favorite AAR song. And perhaps the most relatable. I had secrets, including some dirty little secrets. Literally everyone has secrets, some small and clean, some larger and dirty.

And similarly to Move Along's more upbeat, energetic approach to anti-suicide/not giving up, having an upbeat and catchy song about keeping secrets, often considered "bad" and something you shouldn't do, is refreshing. And AAR don't shy away from this either, at the very start with "let me know that I've done wrong / when I've known this all along", and later with "don't be another regret" lyrics, acknowledging that a secret can indeed be bad. They may come across as bad behavior, misleading at best, but secrets can be useful, perhaps healthy if handled correctly. "They're the best way we survive" is true for many. If I didn't keep being gay a secret in school, chances are I would have been bullied far worse, perhaps to a point I couldn't deal with. Of course, on the negative side, as the lyrics say, "and all I've tried to hide / it's eating me apart". Also very true.

So... (forgive cheesy analogy!), secrets aren't unlike a flame. Warm and comfortable, needed to survive sometimes. But they can also burn you alive, so... keep your dirty little secrets close, but not too close.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

31. Stellar - Incubus

This one was higher, but I had (or wanted, I suppose) to work it back a little bit.

One of the greatest love songs? I have two other "love" songs later on the list, but they're more "traditional" (for lack of a better word.) At the very least, it's one of the most real. It strips away (faster than Brandon does his shirts) all the mushy, lovey-dovey sort of lyrics you hear in almost every love song. Gone are all the clever analogies and metaphors, and romantic descriptions on how good it feels to love you. And yet, this song is very intimate and sweet, while also very bare-bone and very personal. I read way back that Brandon wrote the song based on how love can feel transcendent, and transcendent is the perfect word to describe both love and this song he wrote dedicated to it.

That's all today, Top 30 tomorrow.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

But real quick! Since we've reached Incubus now. (And please indulge me for a post.) How amazing was/is Incubus? To this day, I don't understand how they didn't explode in the early 00s (or even late 90s). It's not like they weren't popular, but they were barely so. The band simply must not have been interested in all the fame, because they could have had it, and that's pretty admirable.

And Brandon Boyd?! Sexiest man ever. Then, now, forever. I don't even think it's even a competition. And even ignoring his face and body (if you can), he's a great singer/artist (although the yelling/screams from the 90s/early-00s impacted his voice later on). He's always been a private person, not much is really known about him to this day, but that mysteriousness is pretty attractive too. So much is known about every famous person that it's exhausting. And he's never been married or engaged, and has no kids. Which is totally fine, but it's so unique for people in the industry, and it's clearly a deliberate, personal choice.

Incubus was just a random, placeholder name for them, but I think the band members knew Brandon's real middle name was Incubus and they just hasn't told anyone to this day. Far too fitting of a name to be random (unless the Fates themselves foretold it!).

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Last Resort was a big hit when I was in high school, pretty good.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:32 am
The Kramer

Incubus would definitely make a Flava'd Fifty all time favorite bands. I think they were big enough at the time. Probably just a tier below people like Linkin Park and Evanescence, who were the last bastions of popular rock music. It is weird that, at least on the festival scene, they are not considered a major Headliner though. Maybe the nostalgia just hasn't kicked in yet?

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:27 pm
The Kramer

Also, funny story about the Megalomaniac video. After the Janet Jackson Superbowl nipplegate, MTV started banning any controversial videos from their playlist (yes, young people, MTV still played music occasionally in the mid 00s) and Mega was deemed controversial enough to fit. But the band members were perplexed. "This whole affair started because of someone taking their shirt off, while Megalomaniac is the first video where our singer keeps his on."

I still find it very amusing. :funny:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:30 pm
Extraordinary

I love Stellar! Reminds me Guitar Hero 1 ugh I miss that game

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also, funny story about the Megalomaniac video. After the Janet Jackson Superbowl nipplegate, MTV started banning any controversial videos from their playlist (yes, young people, MTV still played music occasionally in the mid 00s) and Mega was deemed controversial enough to fit. But the band members were perplexed. "This whole affair started because of someone taking their shirt off, while Megalomaniac is the first video where our singer keeps his on."

I still find it very amusing. :funny:

I was going to add more in my Incubus (Brandon Boyd) post above about how they've gone 25+ years without any controversies or scandals, and MTV banning the Megalomaniac video from their daytime playlists is really the only controversy they ever had. And considering the unique(?) circumstances around it, you can't find a (much) lesser reason for it.

And I guess you can throw in the restraining order against Boyd by a Real World reality TV star around 5-6 years ago, but considering it didn't develop from the initial announcement, and Boyd saying he'd never even heard of the her before (to no follow up response/action from her), it's a pretty minor/miniscule thing.

So... can't really do better than that in lack of problems for a rock band that's been around for 2.5 decades!

Going to continue the list in a minute. Had a full plate of things to do today, so there won't be as many entries posted (aiming to get to the Top 25 at the very least though!).

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I love Stellar! Reminds me Guitar Hero 1 ugh I miss that game

I feel like Guitar Hero introduced a lot of people to bands/songs they may not have discovered otherwise. I discovered Lacuna Coil from Guitar Hero! They're not on this list (they missed the cutoff by a year) though.

Would Dragonforce and Through the Fire and Flames have gotten as big as they did without being featured on Guitar Hero as the ultimate song? I'm not an expert on them, but everyone I knew were aware of them/discovered them because of Guitar Hero. So... You go, Guitar Hero!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Back to the list while I have 20-ish minutes:

30. Going Under - Evanescence

Evanescence finally makes an appearance! And it'll be with the Fallen album opener here. Along with Linkin Park's "Don't Stay", it's right up there as one of the best album openers. In general though, is it just me that thinks album openers used to be SO much better back then? The first track pretty much always told you what was in store for the rest of the album.

Evanescence was a huge band for me, probably taking the honor of favorite band for a while too. Besides just being an awesome song, it connected with me the second verse, I believe, that talks about blurring and stirring the truth and the lies, I don't know what's real, confusing the thoughts in my head. Won't go into details or examples, just that those words would speak to me from time to time when things got especially tangled.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Originally it was just that other single in between Bring Me to life and My Immortal, but I have become a bigger fan of Going Under over time.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:09 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

29. Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters

First, what about this VIDEO?! Haven't watched it in years before making this list, but it remains among my favorites. (And what a contrast to the videos we see on flights today! We need the flight mechanics/attendants to put some serious drugs in the coffee of every flight today, for sure. :funny: )

The song is also amazing, but unlike almost everything on this list, there's no reason for it to really be here besides simply being an amazing song. I made a list of around 70 songs initially and was only expecting this one to just make my Top 50/55, but it just kept climbing higher as I rearranged all of them. So, enjoy the song, and relive a classic video that few, if any, manages to encapsulates the late 90s better.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

28. Giving In - Adema

No positivity here. Just a banger about simply giving in. Pretty sure I remember it being about Chavez's alcoholism, but it's very open for anyone to interpret it as giving in to any number of problems, which I really liked. And, as mentioned already, I was really into the nu-metal, post-grunge-esque sound that was really popular in the late-90s/early-00s. Chavez (singer), Jonathan Davis' (Korn) half-brother left the band in the mid-00s, and I didn't really continue to follow them after their first two albums.

I don't think Adema was very well-known (although according to Wiki, their debut album peaked at a respectable #27 and went Gold), so maybe give this song a listen if this style of music was (or still is) enjoyable for you!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The Way You Like It was my jam.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:54 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

:thumbsup:

27. I Think I'm Paranoid - Garbage

I've already discussed how much I've liked Garbage already, so we'll just go straight to the song here. Besides just being energetic and fun in sound, there were little bits of lyrics all throughout that I liked. "You can look but you can't touch" (hands off, girls). "I think I'm paranoid and complicated" (frequent feeling about being outed, or rather, slipping myself). "Maim me, tame me, you can never change me" (bully and perceive me all you want, but I'm me dummies, not what you want).

And this may be an odd comparison, and I'm sure there are closer ones out there, but this song reminds me a lot of a future Birthday Massacre song with its electronic sound. It's a song I could easily find BM covering in their style/sound with pretty little effort in changing up. Birthday Massacre is not on this list, by the way. They make the cutoff, but I didn't really discover or get into them until very late 2005, but mostly from 2006 onwards.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next