Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers (Complete! Stats Added) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: KoЯpse's Top 55 Teenage Headbangers
26. Wait and Bleed - Slipknot

I know Slipknot is big, a cornerstone of the heavy metal scene, but I just didn't like them as much as most others I knew. (They have some pretty diehard fans.) I think it's just the vocals. I tend to enjoy their "medium" heavy songs like this one or Dead Memories. And nothing ever really topped Wait and Bleed for me, despite their overall strong catalogue that I mostly stayed up to date with until their 2019 album (still haven't listened to it.)

I'll try to crack the Top 25 later tonight. The next two songs are probably the most embarrassing, and I have a particularly embarrassing story for one of them.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sorry for the slow day yesterday! I'm (relatively) free today and tomorrow (maybe Sunday too, snowstorm pending), so I'm planning to post 25-16 today, 15-6 tomorrow, and the final 5 on Sunday.

25. Girl All the Bad Guys Want - Bowling For Soup

And we've reached the "embarrassing" entry, but let's get to it because this was my (very) private JAM of all JAMS of 2002/2003. (I needed *something* fun and silly!) I'd regularly listen to this pretending I was this "girl all the bad guys want" (or rather, "boy all the bad girls (but wish it were bad guys) want"). (Not *exactly*, but an imagination is nice.) And no, I wouldn't change the lyrics if given the chance on karaoke night, Flava'd. :mer:

This was my embarrassing "sing in the shower, dance in front of your bedroom mirror song". I don't want to seem too big-headed with my next words, but the lyrics pretty accurately described me (mostly). I was a rocker with a nose ring. I was watchin' wrestling, creamin' over tough guys. I was listening to rap-metal. I liked the Godsmack, and my CD player was indeed full of singers who were mad at their dads. I wore the fishnet (shirts/sleeves, no leggings!). And I wouldn't turn down a reefer or a 40 on occasion, though it was like a few hits and a 10-20 (couldn't get too lit, just in case). However, I didn't wear a two-way (I don't think?), and I still don't know what that means, either. And I didn't care much for a mustache either way. And I don't know if the wind blew or angels sang as I walked by, but I liked to imagine they did sometimes. So, I ruled out the song was written about me after a while. /end embarrassing teen moment.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

24. Rollin' - Limp Bizkit

Oh, boy... If this was a list of "most listened to teenage jams", I feel it could very well be #1. I haven't posted a skate song in a long time (and this is the last one), but this was the skate song to end all skate songs. (For me.) It didn't matter when or where, at a practice, during a random skate night, in a race, or just in my CD player (scratching the discs to death) while skating around the tennis court at the park, this was always the #1 go-to song for all occasions. And Jesus did I get hyped up watching WWE when Undertaker (favorite, of course) had this for his theme! The iconic gong, menacing footsteps, "dead man walking", GONG! "Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'!" Too bad he never brought this back for any of his final matches. I would likely have flipped the fuck out again like I did when I was 13.

And spoiler, this is the last Limp Bizkit song on the list! No Nookie or Faith here.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

23. Got the Life - Korn

Korn is here now. I had trouble keeping their entries limited on the list, but also in keeping them from being too repetitive higher on the list. But in the end, I couldn't keep them outside the Top 25.

I think this is the first Korn song I ever heard. It's possible I heard some songs from Life is Peachy before this one, but I don't recall. It's about achieving or having everything in life, but then realizing that it's not what you want. If all your dreams have come true, what do you dream about next? It'd be a very lonely existence, one where you'd probably never be truly happy living. I've never been a person wishing I had it all, largely for this exact reason. I've wanted "better", certainly. Most definitely. But not everything. Not even half, really. I purposefully live well below my means today.

Also, to go in an all different direction here for a second.... This was the first song that was forced into retirement on TRL. Talk about an interesting fact. Not just because it was the first, but also on HOW DIFFERENT mainstream music was at the time. Nothing like this would ever top, or even rank, on any request show or the charts today. Hell, I don't think anything would just 5 years or so after it was released. Heavy rock and metal bands/songs are still being made today. Korn and rock/metal bands of this era are still releasing music today. But unless you're a fan that seeks them out, they essentially go undetected. Perhaps music has always been this way, with bands and genres that were popular a generation ago almost disappearing despite still existing, but experiencing it first-hand is an all-new perspective on this topic.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

22. Dragula - Rob Zombie

Favorite Zombie song.... sort of. Over the years, I leaned more into Living Dead Girl, barely, but this was the one I first heard and introduced me to Rob Zombie. And having listened to it a lot this week, as I have all these songs again, I'm probably going to give it the best Zombie song once again. Lots of energy, appropriate level of heft, and fun to get into back then and once again today.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

21. Whisper - Evanescence

Not one of their singles, and not quite my favorite song from Fallen. However, if I were to name one Evanescence song that had the biggest influence on me, it'd have to be this one. It's the most epic track on the album, with the final two-minutes being unlike anything Evanescence has really ever done. It's the most similar to the future symphonic metal songs I'd later discover thanks to seeking out more like it. It helped open up a new world of music to me, and a genre that was still relatively young at the time. Symphonic metal is far and away my favorite genre today and has been for over a decade now. Personal preference of course, but I consider it the apex of what music can be. I get taken to another place listening to the best of it.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

20. Crawling - Linkin Park

Hello again, Linkin Park! Third entry (told you some bands started to runaway (hehe) with the list).

Fear is perhaps the most dangerous emotion to give into. It's sort of the mother of all negative emotions. I think that's why fear is a theme of three songs in the Top 20 versus a more specific negative emotion.

Experiencing the beginning of fear, the "crawling", is unnerving and awful enough. It's like a harbinger of losing self-control. But giving in to it heavily or completely is flat-out frantic state of disruption. Literally everything you attempt to do is halted by a sense of self-doubt that can be incredibly difficult to crawl back out of. And this song is chock full of lyrics describing what the experience is like. Looking at the full lyrics again right now, every single line in fact is, particularly the lines about lack of self-control and no sense of confidence.

I also REALLY like the remix on Reanimation (here just in case someone, I know Flava'd has surely heard it, has never heard it):

Spoiler: show

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Got the Life and Freak on a Leash were already retired when I started watching TRL. It is amazing how they weaved hard rock with gushy pop and sharp hip hop all together. All the obscure random bands you see on my yearly charts would have been huge back then. :funny:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Like... I don't want to be one of those guys as I get older who says "back in my day, we had real music!", but... yes, yes we did! :funny:

At the very, very least, it was a FAR more raw and creative era. And, can't get much rawer (is that a word? more raw, maybe? no, rawer is a word, one I can't say properly now without sounding like a dog or saying water with a silent "t") or creative than #19!

19. The Dope Show - Marilyn Manson

When I was making a list of bands I knew were going to be featured prominently here, Manson was there, but he actually ended up faring worse than I was expecting. I had Disposable Teens on a while back (40-ish, I think), and this was the only other song that remained after eliminating mOBSCENE and Personal Jesus. (Beautiful People was on the pre-list.)

Record labels and music industry execs have been known as pretty horrible people for ages. And both Manson and Korn have a number of songs, including their biggest hits (like Dope Show here), about how they treat them like cash-cow slaves, so it's easy to imagine how high the cost of fame (like Got the Life earlier) can be for them and any other band or musician. But even ignore the context of The Dope Show, it can genuinely be directed at how the ideal behavior, appearance, etc., is expected quite often for nothing more than to satisfy someone's needs/wants in whatever way they need pleased.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

18. Falling Away From Me - Korn

I know Korn was just featured 5 songs ago, but that's the territory we're in now. Among the Top 20, there are 9 individual bands. But, there are still three bands among them that haven't been featured at all yet, so good luck guessing them! I'd be truly shocked if two of them are anticipated.

Back to Korn... Considering the sheer number of songs that Davis has written over almost 30 years about his childhood, he could be a good person to use in the "someone always has it worse" discussion. I can't relate as I had great parents and a generally loving family. And I always reminded myself how lucky I was given just how much I saw how other kids, friends or classmates alike, weren't so lucky. And even saying someone is "lucky" they didn't experience abuse of any kind growing up is pretty messed up. And that doesn't change when you're an adult either, as you still hear about kids being used as an outlet by adults to release anything and everything out on. It's always been an uncomfortable and disturbing topic (domestic abuse) to think about. The importance of basic affection in a kids life can't be expressed enough.

Also, this song has this constant feeling of... almost paranoia, like something is creeping up behind you. Love that.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Crawling is great, and yes as I mentioned, I like Rollin

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:16 pm
The Kramer

I wouldn't say better, just different. Though pop music, and all radio music really, is homogenized, it allows individual pop stars to be more creative. It's a weird trade off, but one that works for me since I'm the type of fella who will dig through all the new rock releases to find a gem every now and then. If you don't have the tolerance for putting up with tons of bad stuff, it can be very hard to find anything new to like. :funny:

I strongly suggest you go to a Danny Weimer festival! One of these bands will headline but you'll also see all sorts of cool stuff that you never knew existed in the undercard.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I admit I definitely need to expand my horizon regarding recent/newer U.S. acts (probably since ~2012 or so).

17. All That I've Got - The Used

New band! I like The Used, but just never got into them too much after their first three albums. I was glad this song made the cutoff, because it's a big favorite from back then, along with having one of my favorite music videos as well. I looked this song up years after it was released, and Bert McCracken said it was about emotions he experienced after losing a pet dog. Not to make light of loosing a pet, I've seen family and friends go through a lot when they lose one, but I would have never guessed it was about this without looking it up.

I don't know if this makes me sound "cold hearted", but I typically only mourn a death, be it a pet, friend, or family member, for a relatively short period. I just don't like it, and while it's understandable to show strong emotions with a death, it's more of a sign of "disrespect" or a "discourtesy" to the loved one than anything for me. I greatly prefer to remember everything good I can associate with them, and celebrate the life they had instead. Not to say people who mourn greatly don't, but sadness is much more prevalent when remembering a lost love than joy, which I don't like. When I die, I hope anyone who cares about me moves on ASAP and remember all the fun we may have had and recall everything they enjoyed about me instead. I'd much rather joyous feelings and acts be had versus the depressing alternatives. Life, while being hard and discouraging, is precious and celebratory, and not doing everything one can to appreciate both its beginnings and end just feels "wrong" to me. It's a very, very happy occasion that few get to enjoy, much less even HAVE.

I went on a bit of a spew there, sorry! Favorite lyric from the song, and an all-time favorite, is "I'm far from lonely, but it's all that I got". I related a lot to this line. I rarely had moments of loneliness, both back then or since, always having my immediate family there for me when needed (and my husband now), but it used to be a very "that's all I got?" feeling too. It was enough to get by on, but certainly not enough to thrive on.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

16. Why Do You Love Me - Garbage

This became one of two go-to Garbage songs for one reason, and I might get some "really, Corpse? really?" opinions, but it was from unwelcomed advances/attention from girls, especially the last couple years of High School. I was a fine enough looking guy (but no better than others), put a fair amount of work into my appearance (but no better than others), but I was probably "too nice" (most teen boys are immature jerks). However, I was careful, very fucking careful, not to say, look at, or do anything that might give a girl the idea that I was interested in them sexually. And yet... it didn't matter sometimes.

I would still run into problems of a girl liking me and pursing me, make their friends pressure me, and then have to deal with both sides of the situation in the best way possible without saying, "I'm gay, sorry!" Maybe I could have been more off-putting. Whatever the case, it wasn't enough sometimes, and this song really connected when I heard it around this same time. This might sound like a real brush it off "non-issue", certainly would be after High School, but back then, no. I didn't want to hurt anyone, and I couldn't tell them why, so these situations almost always ended with them disliking me, and me being upset if it damaged/ended good relations or even some friendships. "Honesty is the best policy" would have been the way to go here, but I wasn't willing to risk so much on it. I hope that this isn't much of an issue with today's youth.

15-6 tomorrow! My Top 15 was very firm when I was making the list, so looking forward to sharing it.

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The song Cry was decent when I saw them live a few years ago. Otherwise yeah, stick with the first two Used albums.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

15. When I Grow Up - Garbage

I know, I know! Back-to-back Garbage songs? Really? Yes, really.

But this is the final Garbage song! Garbage was going to do well, no doubt there, but having 2 songs in the Top 20 was more better than I was expecting at the beginning. But they're very deserving. When I Grow Up is super catchy and energetic, and while it's likely about sexual experimentation, I didn't link it to this. Rather, I used it as a favorite encouraging "I'll show you" song. The lyric, "trying hard to fit among you / floating out to wonderland" became relatable as trying to fit in but feeling like a fish out of water, lost at times, while doing so. Nothing especially deep or meaningful here beyond that. Just Garbage at their best with their catchiest song.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

14. Somebody Someone - Korn

I listened to Follow the Leader a lot, but I listened to Issues more (that year or so difference in release mostly made the difference). And Somebody Someone was likely my most listened to song from the album (Falling Away From You *technically* was if you count TV airtime, but still.) It's not one of their best songs though, and I don't recall thinking it was back then either. I just really, really loved how hard the chorus would roll around between Davis's head voice in verses. Davis switching his vocals up between his head voice and his booming chest (throat) voice is pretty addicting, and while he does this on many songs, the contrast here was extreme and really stood out. And the chorus spoke directly to me. "Can't somebody help me?" (Not in a danger sense, but more of a "where is the advice, instruction book for people like me at?" Internet search results were non-existent on pretty much anything I'd attempt to research in 2000). "All I need is to be / loved just for me" (just wanted to be me when I couldn't be--self-explanatory and straight to the point).

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:22 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Garbage!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:35 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

13. Drive - Incubus

And the award for hottest music video of all-time goes to...

The anti Jesus, Take the Wheel song (in a sense). Don't take your hands off the wheel! (in every sense.)

Too many people, or really everyone at some point, wind up having their lives controlled and driven by either their own self-inflictions (fear leading the way) or external influence (generally other people). It's a fact of life, and certainly a flaw as any in being human. But a flaw can be removed, and taking control begins by making yourself. So work on yourself, it might take take a bit, and take back control and drive towards that tomorrow. And once that's accomplished, tell all the passengers and backseat drivers in your life to literally have a seat or get the fuck out of your car if they don't like your amazing driving skills.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

12. Bring Me to Life - Evanescence

One of the easiest picks on the entire list. I'm not sure what my music taste or musical interests would be today if it wasn't for Evanescence.

As mentioned back with Whisper, they opened the door to to what would become my favorite(s), and if Bring Me to Life wasn't such big hit, it's hard to say how this would have developed. Female rockers certainly weren't new or anything, but they were still pretty rare then. And with someone like Amy Lee, with her angelic voice and piano contributions, really made Evanescence stand out amongst everyone else. She's gone on record talking about how the song, and even the band, the album, almost didn't make it because of the label wanting them to include male vocals on every track. Which she refused to do and moved back home with her parents, but ultimately compromised on just Bring Me to Life which the label persisted be the lead single over her personal choice, Going Under. They've since released versions of Bring Me to Life without the male vocals, and I've enjoyed those more.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Evanescence!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

11. Papercut - Linkin Park

I listed a few songs so far (including Don't Stay) as some of the best opening tracks on an album, but my all time favorite (for this list) goes to Papercut. This one is pretty similar in theme to Crawling, but more hype. And whereas Crawling has a creeping-up-on-you sound/approach, Papercut feels like the natural follow up with the fear, paranoia, having caught up with you and beginning its attack. And all the "it's like a..." lyrics, attempting to describe the feeling, especially towards the end, is great. Incredible song.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

10. She Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd

When I was making this list, this was one of the first songs that I wrote down. I was expecting it to make it, but not this high. But damn if this didn't bring back memories of such a frustrating and clusterfuck of a senior year!

Very long teenage drama story short (and watch this become a paragraph), the pressure became too great, and feelings hurt of a couple too many friends, so I finally decided to date a girl, a friend, who had liked me for years and years (probably middle school). I told myself this was just for the remainder of High School, I wasn't even going to do anything and it'd make her question the relationship, and then push her away quietly on that endeavor. Except, of course it'd blow up. Lasted for a few months and even asked her to Prom (and did nothing, which I assume she was waiting the entire time for something....). So it all blew up afterwards.

Got called all sorts of names, asked why I'd hurt her like that, threated by some guys, why was I such a dick, and so on and so on by her, her friends, some of my friends, etc. I lot of people, some that I was fairly close to over years growing up, ended up hating me by the end of High School, and I blamed myself and was hurt by some of it. I slipped. I messed it all up after spending 5, 6 years on avoiding hurting anyone. One of the comments in my yearbook, who I don't know wrote it, reads "a dick who likes dicks". (It's *sort of* funny though, years later.) *Shrug*

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Wasn't expecting Puddle of Mudd on here!

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Figured they'd be at least unexpected. They had a very specific song for a very specific situation, but it was such an anthem for me for awhile it had to rank high. There is one more band in the top 10 that hasn't been featured at all yet too. But it's not #9!

9. New Skin - Incubus

I've enjoyed pretty much everything Incubus has ever released and appreciated when bands do change their styles over time, and I'm not going to get into if they were better before/after Make Yourself, but their material on SCIENCE was particularly unique and interesting. I *might* consider it their most innovative era. It was a hectic mix of all sorts of styles and genres, and it was awesome. Again, not saying their move to a more traditional alt. rock sound afterwards and the subsequent changes after that is any less enjoyable (Make Yourself is my favorite album from them), just that the early songs are so unique and fun to revisit.

New Skin is a high-energy, genre schmorgisborg of sounds, and when combined with Brandon's chaotic rhythmic singing and vocal fry (and scream!), it's like a musical chemistry experiment aiming to create something all new. Much of early Incubus is like a musical chemistry experiment that refuses to be categorized. New Skin became an increasingly favorite of mind through my teen years as a critique of society. It's described as an infected wound that becomes scabbed over by the tears of anger, and beneath that dead skin is a new world waiting to be greet the surface. I was only 11 when I found SCIENCE near the Korn CDs (alphabetical order for the win!) the day I bought Follow the Leader at an FYE and bought it because it was a cheap used copy. It took awhile just to make out most of the lyrics then, and a while longer before understanding them.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next