Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (Full list posted) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009 (Full list posted)
While I enjoyed making an 80s list, this is my favorite era. I will give it a few days to make sure I didn't forget anything.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:53 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Shack's Best Hits of 2000-2009: Coming Soon
Good idea! Though will it only be "hits"? Or anything?

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Good idea! Though will it only be "hits"? Or anything?

Singles at minimum, there are a few I'm not sure whether to include or not if they're one of the band's more well known songs but not exactly "hits"

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:58 pm
Keeping it Light

Ooh, look forward to this. I don't often listen to music from this period anymore.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 60 Best Hits of 2000-2009: Coming Soon
Rules

- 1 song per artist. Artists can appear more than once if they're a feature on someone else's song.

- No "deep cuts", all songs must be plausibly played on 2000s radio. I might allow a song that didn't chart top 50 if it still feels like one of the artists signature songs. No Springsteen, Radiohead, Arcade Fire on account of not being hits enough and being bored of putting them on my lists, nor anything from the Garden State soundtrack or Tenacious D. Also, Kesha's songs are all considered 2010s.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:19 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Shack's Top 65 Best Hits of 2000-2009: Coming Soon
:grrr: No Arcade Fire or In Rainbows / Kid A songs? What about Vampire Weekend???

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 60 Best Hits of 2000-2009: Coming Soon
Honorable mentions:

Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch

These guns were fun when you were 12. But the song still kind of bangs even if the verses are TMI.

The Fray - How To Save A Life

They came, Grey's Anatomy'd and then it became obvious their songs sound the same.

Foo Fighters - Times Like These

I still think they're overrated but this is a pretty solid song

Katy Perry - Waking Up in Vegas

I tried to get Katy into the list but I couldn't do it with her pre Teenage Dream catalog

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

Prefer this one to Feel Good Inc.

T.A.T.U. - All the Things She Said

Interested me in reasons beyond the song when I was a kid, but it still sounds pretty good

Five for Fighting - Superman

Like the vulnerable Supes concept

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei (Numa Numa Song)

One of my favorite foreign language pop songs

Limp Bizkit - My Way

Its use in the best WWE video package ever gets it here

The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love

These guys seemed like they were bringing back rock for a few years

Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out

Still iconic and I felt better about it when I realized the dogs were supposed to be the misogynist men and not just homely girls showing up to the party

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

:grrr: No Arcade Fire or In Rainbows / Kid A songs? What about Vampire Weekend???

Vampire Weekend is eligible, I just don't like them that much

This list has a lot of rock songs on it by my standards... some of it might be the uncool type of rock songs though

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:14 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 65 Best Hits of 2000-2009
I'm not going to count them cause they didn't hit.. but shoutout to adult Hanson dropping some awesome songs one year

Actually Samaire Armstrong being in that video reminds me of another song I have to HM...

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:15 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:

Vampire Weekend is eligible, I just don't like them that much

This list has a lot of rock songs on it by my standards... some of it might be the uncool type of rock songs though
Creed confirmed.

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:47 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 65 Best Hits of 2000-2009

67. Blu Cantrell - Hit Em Up Style

Great cheating revenge song with a unique concept of "spend all his shit". I like the attitude of it.

66. Good Charlotte - The Anthem

I went through a Good Charlotte phase at the time - Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous is cool, but the Anthem with its lyrics easy for a rebellious teenybopper to connect to and guitar riff was best.

65. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Overused, but still a good song with one of the most memorable guitar riffs and a good use of Meg drums style. One of my favorite videos.

64. DMX - X Gon Give It To Ya

Party Up is tough competition, but this is the definitive DMX song with his signature passion. I've been doing this for 19 years, if you wanna fight me, fight these tears!

63. Shaggy - Angel

The two sample move works great (I knew there was another song with the chorus from a Friends episode, but I didn't realize until now it uses The Joker as well) and unlike It Wasn't Me where Shaggy himself is the worst part of it, I actually like his parts in this one with lines like "Life is one big party when you're still young, but who's going to have your back when it's all done?"

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:23 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack's Top 67 Best Hits of 2000-2009
Now a top 67 as I remembered some more songs

62. Weezer - Island in the Sun

This song has a very pleasant feel like you would expect from a song about an island in the sun thanks to its guitar part and Rivers Cuomo's wistful vocal performance, while they still get to sound like regular Weezer a bit in the bridge sections.

61. Kid Rock feat. Sheryl Crow - Picture

I've always been a Sheryl supporter and there isn't too many hits to pick from 2000s other than the sort of cringey Soak up the Sun, but this is a nice ballad that's a worthy addition to "picture" songs and songs about drinking about relationships, and Kid Rock does great in his part.

60. Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie

The horns part is really catchy, and the Wyclef feature to add a guy lusting over her really takes it to another level. And any video that has Shakira proving why her hips don't lie is good with me.

59. Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA

I like the energy of Party in the USA, it's perfect for a song about arriving in Hollywood and shaking off the nerves by remembering to have fun.

58. Twista - Overnight Celebrity

Twista does a good job being able to understand him with his signature fast style, but producer Kanye has his hands over this so much this it could almost be Kanye feat Twista like one of those DJ Khaled songs or something. The violins are a nice addition giving some class to the guy telling girls he'll bring them up there.

Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

57. R Kelly - Ignition (Remix)

There is a reason I can't post the music video, but removing the art from the artist it's a hot song and we know it. The synths and Kelly's voice give it a real slick feel.

56. Hinder - Lips of An Angel

The first word that comes to mind for me is greasy, between the guy's voice and the story of him calling his ex while his girlfriend is in the other room. You get the sense neither person on the phone is a genius. However that overtly masculine type ballad has its charm.

I will be defending the black sheep of early 00s genres, the alt rock guys. Which was really pop grunge, for some reason that term never took off, but bands like Nickelback and 3 Doors Down are just doing the same thing as The Offspring or Good Charlotte really, and I believe the cycle has happened other times as well like disco being the poppier version of funk. If you have a non pop music genre it's a law that someone is going to make a pop version and sell more with it. Don't hate the player, hate the game. On that note some songs like The Calling - Wherever You Will Go, Hoobastank - The Reason, Staind - It's Been Awhile, I couldn't fit you on the HMs but I got your back.

55. Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

I like the guitar riff in this song and the romantic theme of looking back on his memories to the girl that got away works in its pop punk way. And it's Yellowcard, so of course the violinist adds to the song.

54. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know

I don't know that much about this British band other than this song, but it's a nice little ballad. The tone of his voice fits the piano and dreamy theme perfectly.

53. Maroon 5 - This Love

Maroon 5's career since Songs About Jane has been mostly annoying and transparent, but I did like them in these days with songs like this, She Will Be Loved and Sunday Morning. This song mixes the theme of raw sexuality and romantic love well and I think the difference in their early days is they were trying more instrumentally and were a band more Adam Levine's backup guys.

52. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

The main guitar riff is the highlight with the Queens signature type of sound, and adds to mysterious type of feeling the lyrics and the lead singer's vocals create.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:47 am
Devil's Advocate

I originally had Forgot About Dre on this list and I knew something felt wrong (seems like too young of Eminem), and now I see that I had been tripped up by Dr Dre inexplicably releasing an album called 2001 in 1999 (I could understand 2000, but why 2001?). So the list is now a top 66 again.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:15 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Shack's Top 66 Best Hits of 2000-2009
So awesome, don't love every song as much, but excellent list so far.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:25 am
The Kramer

Billy Talent had several top 50 hits in Canada, will they count?

In a crooked little town
They were lost and never found
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
On the ground

Though I was surprised to see that wasn't their highest charting hit. Devil In A Midnight Mass went all the way to #4 on Canada billboard! Your country had better taste than ours in 2004!

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

In a crooked little town
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
On the ground

Though I was surprised to see that wasn't their highest charting hit. Devil In A Midnight Mass went all the way to #4 on Canada billboard! Your country had better taste than ours in 2004!

I like River Below the most, but not quite enough to make the list. I also couldn't get behind any one Sum 41 song to put them on which feels wrong. But now that you remind me, I think I'll use the Canadian hit rule to sneak Our Lady Peace onto this list and restore my top 67 since I have a thing for one of their bigger hits.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

51. Dropkick Murphys - I’m Shipping Up To Boston

Like everyone else this song makes me think Irish people, fighting, The Departed. The mix of instruments is great from the accordion, banjo, guitar, etc. The lyrics are not that important but "I'm a sailor peg, and I've lost my leg" kind of sounds badass.

50. Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats

It's always fun to hear the story of her beating the shit out of his car, and I like the way she describes him with the mistress. Carrie seems classy enough she maintains even it when doing something deranged. The first 15 seconds of this song sets the mood really well.

49. Bowling for Soup - 1985

Originally it came off as a cute novelty song to name drop a bunch of 80s bands, but now that Debbie gets more and more relatable every year for a variety of reasons it becomes even better. Could it be that it's only one more year until the same amount of time has passed as it was from 1985 to 2004? And I can confirm that pop culture and music was definitely better in the early 2000s. The guitar riff is also catchy.

48. The Offspring - Hit That

I have always loved the electronic beat in this song which along with the piano and guitar makes a pretty hot instrumental, and the storyline with people being "on a run" getting with people works well with their style. The Reboot type aesthetic in the video is also awesome. It feels a little underrated among their songs but it actually up there for their best chart performers.

47. Usher feat Ludacris and Lil Jon - Yeah!

The song that made him king for a year. The production is clearly the highlight of the song with one of the beats of the decade, and while a song about being at the club is nothing new, telling it as a story works.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:04 am
Keeping it Light

I didn't know 1985 before actually, all pretty good and especially Yeah! is just a classic.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:33 am
The Kramer

Shack wrote:

In a crooked little town
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
Fallen leaves
On the ground

I like River Below the most, but not quite enough to make the list. I also couldn't get behind any one Sum 41 song to put them on which feels wrong. But now that you remind me, I think I'll use the Canadian hit rule to sneak Our Lady Peace onto this list and restore my top 67 since I have a thing for one of their bigger hits.
RB is my fav from the first album, though I do really like The Ex too. Midnight Mass is overall fav.

I like the SR71 version of 1985 but not the Bowling For Soup one. I bet they really regret giving it away considering how big of a hit it turned out to be. :funny:

Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:23 am
Devil's Advocate

46. Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape

I really like the main guitar instrumental and the "Woo hoo yee hoo" part that backs the song. The escapist theme of being able to be better to someone if you were in a different place is relatable.

45. Goo Goo Dolls - Here Is Gone

This song has a nice vibe with the acoustic guitar and his voice like a lot of their songs, I guess it's about a relationship now that I look at it, but the music video with the teenagers jumping in the pool etc. almost fits the sound more.

44. Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness

This song has a very high energy exciting feel thanks to them going hard instrumentally. What he's saying doesn't matter too much, but the emotional way he's saying it does. Jimmy Eat World had a lot of songs I liked in a short period (The Middle, Sweetness, Here You Me, Pain, Work, etc.) but for some reason it seems like nothing that came out after about 2004 really stuck.

43. Kanye West feat. Chris Martin - Homecoming

This dream tag team pairing lived up to its billing with the Martin piano working great in both the chorus and verses, and while Kanye's lyrics being about Chicago and not a girl is a memorable gimmick although much like a song like Neil Young's Long May You Run or Eminem's 25 to Life makes you torn about whether it'd be a better song is if it was actually about a person.

42. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles

The piano riff is one of the best ever, with the violins also playing an important role. Carlton's innocent type voice works for the story.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:42 pm
The Kramer

Homecoming is your Kanye song??? Ridiculous.

Props for A Thousand Miles though. I was Against it back in the day but kinda love it now.

Sweetness is my fav song on here so far.

Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

41. Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance

I like this one a little more than Sugar We're Going Down, the bassline is cool and as a song you would hope from a song called Dance Dance it has a lot of energy and fun.

40. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop

The riff is one of their more memorable, and I like the touch of the backup vocals in the chorus. After such energy, the bridge part when it slows down is surprisingly enjoyable as if the person that can't stop suddenly has to face reality for a moment.

39. Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway

Kelly has many songs from this decade I enjoy, but I'll go with one of her first in Breakaway. I like the pre vocals "na na na" part and the caterpillar to butterfly story everyone can relate to.

38. Papa Roach - Last Resort

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES. THIS IS MY LAST RESORT.

(I'm short on time, so I'll keep this one short)

Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:24 pm
Keeping it Light

Not familiar with Drive, the rest of 46 - 38 are all pretty great!

Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:54 pm
Keeping it Light

Not familiar with Drive, the rest of 46 - 38 are all pretty great!

Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next