Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-#1 + Albums!!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-26)
"Only bitch I give a conversation to is Siri"

24. Rapstar by Polo G

-Polo G kind of represents what annoys me about hip-hop in the modern age: overuse of autotune singyness and all his lyrics are about how great he is (his previous album was called G.O.A.T. of course.) Yet, ever since the first time I said 'who the fuck is Polo G?' in response to his #1 debut on the biillboard charts, I can't get enough of it. He has a speed in his flow that most of these dudes and dudettes do not.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:27 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-26)
"You'd be surprised to learn what you could bear to lose"

23. Walking At A Downtown Pace by Parquet Courts

-You all may remember Parquet Courts from the 2018 countdown, where they placed #3 on the albums list, behind only Metric and Ty Segall. They had a secret weapon on their previous record though who went by the name of Dangermouse. What a dream team combo that turned out to be! Unfortunately they did not reunite, which lead to the album being far from the quality of Wide Awake!, but there were a few gems on there and Walking At A Downtown Pace has a case for their overall best song. They said they wanted to make garage-rock for the disco hall and I think they succeeded.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:34 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-23)
I forgot to do the halfcap! i guess I'll do it later before the next update lol. Will definitely post more tonight though, perhaps even deux more updates!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:37 pm
The Kramer

As promised here is the half+3cap.

23. Walking At A Downtown Pace - Parquet Courts
24. Rapstar - Polo G
25. Beautiful Way - You Me At Six
26. Big Cat Judgment Day - With Confidence
27. Self Destructor - Chevelle
28. Rare - Nas
29. Flux - Poppy
30. Slide Tackle - Japanese Breakfast
31. Knife Under My Pillow - Maggie Lindemann
32. Hollywood Sucks - KennyHoopla
33. Black Lungs - Architects
34. Future Starts Now - Kim Petras
35. Precious Metal Girl - Weezer
36. Heart On Fire - Eric Church
37. The Room It Was - Cloud Nothings
38. Ben Franklin - Snail Mail
39. In Another Life - Crown The Empire with Courtney LaPlante
40. Karma - Mod Sun
41. Jail - Kanye West with Jay-Z
42. Higher Power - Coldplay
43. Take Me Away - Ayron Jones
44. New Shapes - Charli XCX with Christine & the Queens and Caroline Polachik
45. Transparentsoul - Willow
46. Making A Fire - Foo Fighters
47. Kill The Ache - Currents
48. Bite Me - Avril Lavigne
49. Nothing To Say - New Found Glory
50. Heat Waves - Glass Animals

And a quick update to get us to the top 20.

Also, LOL at the Lions beating Arizona.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:59 pm
The Kramer

"Fire in my lungs, I'm spun, walking on wire in delirium, descending higher and higher"

22. Oblivion by Royal Blood

-Royal Blood get to double dip after already placing this album's lead single, Trouble's Coming, on the 2020 list at ... #13? I think. While I do love the second album, it was fairly criticized as being pretty samey to their first. There's no problems when you're creating tracks like Hook Line and Sinker, but something new was generally requested from this two man band. They answered the call by going very funky. This entire album, and especially Oblivion, feel like they could score a Sonic the Hedgehog game. I just love the riff on this song and thus why it beats out the other goodies from the album.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:06 pm
The Kramer

"I see red, my blood is boiling and it shows"

21. Weapon by Against The Current

-The first, though not last, former #1 artist finally makes an appearance. Against the Current decided to return to their earlier roots with a more and fast and frenzious new album. Chrissy says this is her favorite song that she has released, and while I don't know about that, it is definitely a banger. I'm also not really into twitch, but she always looks so adorable while doing it and seems to be really passionate about gaming. Perfect woman?

Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:12 pm
The Kramer

And that just leaves 20 more! I have tickets to see Spider-Man again tonight. Was gonna cancel when I found out I could go on Thursday, but it was so awesome that I can't. So maybe more songs after that, we'll see.

Go Packers and Broncos!!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:13 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-21)
Some unexpected dental surgery put me in a "fuck you I don't wanna do anything" mood for the majority of yesterday, thus no updates. Today, the pain is still there, but not enough to shut our ears down as well. Lets go!

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:42 pm
The Kramer

"You still matter"

20. Asking For A Friend by Chvrches

-Gosh I wish this song from electro-poppers Chvrches had a video. It's so hype, an equal amount of depressing and inspirational. Right up my alley. I feel like there's a lot of people out there who need to hear the words 'you still matter' right about now. Lauren not only will tell them, but she will holler it from the rooftops whilst we are dancing to this addictive beat as well.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:47 pm
The Kramer

"If you find it hard to swallow, I can loosen up your collar"

19. Oxytocin by Billie Eilish

-Billie seemed to go out of her way to avoid releasing a big hit single this year, but intentional or not her album still had a few bangers on it - this one banging harder than them all. Billie is giving in to her idish sexual desires while at the same time fully aware about how people will judge her for doing something that is just natural. Celebrity culture is weird, but if it was as comfortable as advertised we wouldn't get great songs like this one.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:50 pm
The Kramer

"Wish that I could put this game on pause, skip this round, take the headset off"

18. Simple Times by Kacey Musgraves

-There's alot of people out there who reminesce about the good ole days. It's easy, just picture how happy you were when young and pretend like everything else was just as good as you felt. What I like about Simple Times is trying to realize when you are in these happy timess and appreciate in the moment instead of just comparing it to whatever your current situation is.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:56 pm
The Kramer

"Satisfied, the only feeling I ain't felt for time"

17. Naked Alone by L Devine

-L Devine is one of the most adorable people on the planet. She has that cute awkwardness that would lead to a song like Naked Alone, where she's just struggling to get some poon. You'd think, as a cute and famous singer this would be easier than this song lets on. We all have problems though, and hopefully this song helps prevent others from sleeping naked alone.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:01 pm
The Kramer

"I said my face bomb, ass tight, racks stack up Shaq height"

16. Up by Cardi B

-While we still wait for Cardi's second album, she is atleast giving us a fun single or two per year to pass the time. Cardi works for me so well because she a personality beyond 'I'm the best rapper ever.' Her history is well known and she has no problem embracing it, making her the most qualified person to make a party track in the year 2021.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:05 pm
The Kramer

That update was special delivered for the ladies ... who are not in the audience.

I should be able to do more later, but no promises. Those are only for Babe.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-16)
Team Nicki

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:56 pm
The Kramer

I wanted to post my lists from 2016 and 2015 to see if/how Apple Music changed my habits. Before then it was Torrent -> Ipod, which worked well but also held me back from trying out as much new stuff as I'd like. I still remember the agony of having to delete old songs to make room for new ones. :funny: Anyways, the forums I used to post on are dead, and for whatever reason I never saved any of my old song lists (except cloudy versions of them in my memory.) Luckily I did make a doc with all the albums lists though, so here goes.

38. Lemonade by Beyonce
37. SaintMotelevision by Saint Motel
36. All I Need by Foxes
35. Collegrove by 2Chainz and Lil Wayne
34. A Sailor's Guide To Earth by Sturgill Simpson
33. Big Baby DRAM by DRAM
32. Were All Gonna Die by Dawes
31. Give It Back To You by The Record Company
30. Bobby Tarantino by Logic
29. Huntr by Huntr
28. Prima Donna by Vince Staples
27. Ash & Ice by The Kills
26. Red Friday by YG
25. Woman by Justice
24. Tidal Wave by Taking Back Sunday
23. Imarhan by Imarhan
22. By Default by Band of Skulls
21. Misadventures by Pierce The Veil
20. Simple Forms by The Naked and Famous
19. Eternally Even by Jim James
18. Bloodsweat by Plague Vendor
17. Revolution Radio by Green Day
16. Aggresive by Beartooth
15. The White Album by Weezer
14. The Getaway by Red Hot Chili Peppers
13. Afraid of Heights by Billy Talent
12. Bad Vibrations by A Day To Remember
11. Painkillers by Brian Fallon
10. Coloring Book by Chance The Rapper
9. Potential by The Range
8. Emotion Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen
7. Blank Face LP by Schoolboy Q
RtJ3
6. Emotional Mugger by Ty Segall
5. Hero by Maren Morris
4. Give A Glimpse of What Yer Not by Dinosaur Jr.
3. Hardwired ... To Self-Destruct by Metallica
2. The Life of Pablo by Kanye West
1. In Our Bones by Against The Current

Interesting stuff here. Not exactly an amazing year, and like I mentioned before, it's possible that I wouldn't have even given Against the Current a look had it not been for the rise of streaming. I'd stick with them at #1 since, according to my 2016 replay, they had my top eight most played songs of the year. Was thrilled to have new stuff from Ye and Metallica, but neither of those albums have aged all that well. Beartooth should have been #2, but if I recall that was a very late addition. Same with RTJ3. I don't even remember what #9 is ... Maybe something electronic? I was alot more into EDM in the early/mid 10s.

Shack should at least be happy about seeing Canada's #1 most beloved band Billy Talent still hanging tough. Can't wait for their new album next month!

More 2021 songs coming up!

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm
The Kramer

"I got no resistance with a Colt .45 gold edition, I'm a dope magician"

15. Scatterbrain by Conway the Machine with JID and Ludacris

-Yup, Ludacris is on a best of songs list all the way in the future. His verse is pretty great, but this song is here is because of Conway and JID. I especially love when they bounce off each other in the transition between the 2nd and 3rd verse. Luda might have the best burn in a song full of them though, "I always knew you were a bitch so I just read your obituary." Ha!

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:42 pm
The Kramer

"I need something deeper, money does not stimulate me"

14. Two Worlds Apart by Little Simz

-British rapper Little Simz has a lot of great songs on her album. It was difficult to choose between this one and Speed, but I felt the need to showcase her lyrical quality rather than just another hip-hop song about how she is better than other rappers (she actually is though, and her rhyme speed is a big part of it!) The song is so smooth too, using a Smokey Robinson sample to make it all the smoother. Also, this is her fourth album, but I hadn't yet checked out her first one before this year and ... Damn. That's some good shit. Awhile back, while complaing about Drake, I posted a list of three elite hip-hop artists of the last decade (RTJ, Kendrick, Staples) and now that list has increased to 4.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:48 pm
The Kramer

"Le' molesta mi premio de compositor, pero es que ya nadie compone"

13. Booker T by Bad Bunny

-I know what you're thinking - what is Bad Bunny, a wrestler, doing on a music list? Well, surprise, surprise, he can do other things besides a Destroyer. Bad Bunny made his debut at the Rumble and performed this song. Usually at WWE ppvs the people they get to perform are pretty lousy, like Flo Rida or Pit Bull .. But I think we were all surprised by this one. That beat is nasty and yet so addictive. Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish, but I think we can all figure out what a song called Booker T is about. I don't have the archives to check anymore, but I'd bank on this being the highest ranked entirely non-English song in Flava'd Fifty history (last year's #2, Kingslayer, had some Japanese but it was majority english.)

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:53 pm
The Kramer

Gonna stop here. Mostly to give a little more time to decide on the top ten. The current #11 and #12 are both very close to it and it sucks to leave them out, but somethings gotta fall.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd X Fifty: 2000 + 21 (50-13)
Booker T is a much better song than it had any right to be

Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:29 am
The Kramer

2015: albums list

37. High by Royal Headache
36. Mr. Misunderstood by Eric Church
35. Chaos and the Calm by James Bay
34. Twelve Spells by The Stone Foxes
33. Mr. Wonderful by Action Bronson
32. Natalie Prass by Natalie Prass
31. No Cities To Love by Sleater-Kinney
30. Kicker by Zella Day
29. Peace Is the Mission by Major Lazer
28. ii by Fuzz
27. Let The Good Times Roll by JD McPherson
26. Storyteller by Carrie Underwood
25. Kintsugi by Death Cab For Cutie
24. Revival by Selena Gomez
23. Higher Truth by Chris Cornell
22. Our Own House by Misterwives
21. Undertow by Drenge
20. Delirium by Ellie Goulding
19. Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit by Courtney Barnett
18. Summertime '06 by Vince Staples
17. What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World by The Decemberists
16. The Documentary 2.5 by The Game
15. The Incredible True Story by Logic
14. Future Nostalgia by The Sheepdogs
13. Postive Songs For Negative People by Frank Turner
12. Dark Sky Rising by Big Sean
11. The Most Lamentable Tragedy by Titus Andronicus
10. To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
9. Jekyll + Hyde by Zach Brown Band
8. Dodge and Burn by The Dead Weather
7. Tell Me I'm Pretty by Cage The Elephant
6. E•Mo•Tion by Carly Rae Jepsen
5. Sound & Color by Alabama Shakes
4. Badlands by Halsey
3. Every Open Eye by Chvrches
2. The Desired Effect by Brandon Flowers
1. Chasing Yesterday by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

2015 was both a transition year, that three month free trial of Apple Music got me hooked + three out of the top six albums were pop, while also being the year of nostalgia overload. My favorite film of 2015 was the highly original Inside Out, but the next three on the list were Creed, Jurassic World and The Force Awakens. So it makes that the music list would be won over by "getting Oasis and The Killers back." Little did I know that Brandon still had a huge comeback with his band in the cards. Will Noel and Liam ever get back togehter? Never say never! With the exception of The Alabama Shakes, I listen to all of the top seven, plus #10 and #18, on a pretty regular basis (atleast once a yearish), so this list gets a big ole thumbs from Future Flava'd.

More songs from the 21 coming next. Could be alot, but most likely just 11 and 12.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:39 pm
The Kramer

"Just one look is more than enough, makes you believe in something above"

12. She's My Religion by Pale Waves

-These folk made last year's list with the lead single, Change, and are back once again with ultimate lesbian goth-pop anthem. It's a very sexy song with a very sexy video. I'm glad Heather has used her fame to atleast temporarily break out of the depression that was so heavily highlighted on their first album. Love can conquer sad, but as we saw in Inside Out it is best to let them find a way to co-exist.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

Emotion was only 6th???

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:48 pm
The Kramer

"Oh, oh, oh survival hurts"

11. Broken Pieces Shine by Evanescence

-Evanescence also made last year's chart with one of the lead singles, Use My Voice. Still though, the other singles they released (Wasted On You, Yeah Right) were kinda mehish so I was hesitant to get too excited about the new album. As soon as the drums hit on Broken Pieces Shine all those doubts washed away. Evanescence is back bay bay! But also, while familiar, this is also unlike any of their past work. As mentioned, the drums are the featured instrument instead of the usual fantastical guitar riff or emotional keys on a piano. It's meant to kick off a wild show in front of thousands of people. I didn't get to see their tour with Halestorm, but it seemed like a roaring success and I'm glad they got to do it before Omicron started running wild.

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next