Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!) 
The Kramer

Post Flavad-50: The Plague Year (#1 song and album!)
Welcome to another edition of the year-end Flava 50. I was gonna start this last week, but a certain someone just had to release something brilliant at the last minute ... Anyways, 2020 may have been a shitshow that took so much of what we love away, but one thing that endured was music. Recorded music that is, live music is another (sad) story. Yet, in the studio, one could argue that quarantine increased our quality of music. Only a few albums were delayed while we got many pleasant surprises. The year 2020 revealed a new side of humanity and there was plenty to sing about. It is one of the most competitive countdowns I've ever done.

For the sake of diversity, there will only be one song per artist, like in the 90s list. However, there might be a few exceptions, like Dave Grohl being on twice with Foo Fighters and Nirvana. Features and side-projects will be allowed, though they won't make too much of a differnece.

Results from last year:

1. Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift
2. All Out Life - Slipknot
3. Ready To Let Go - Cage the Elephant
4. Sunflower - Vampire Weekend
5. 7empest - Tool
6. Want You In My Room - Carly Rae Jepsen
7. Medicine - Bring Me The Horizon
8. End of the Game - Weezer
9. NASA - Ariana Grande
10. Daphne Blue - The Band Camino

It was a rocky road to get there, with some rule changes along the way, but I still think CS was the right choice, especially since AOL was technically a 2018 song.

The 2020 version will begin .... later today ... probably? Maybe tomorrow if I get distracted. Though with so little else to do right now that does not seem as likely as it would have been a year ago.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:59 am, edited 10 times in total.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:23 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year
And as always, a history of #1s.

2019: Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift
2018: Now or Never Now - Metric
2017: Need To Feel Your Love - Sheer Mag
2016: Forget Me Now - Against the Current
2015: Dead Inside - Muse
2014: Oh My Darling Don't Cry - Run the Jewels
2013: Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend
2012: Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
2011: Get Away - Yuck
2010: Dance Yourself Clean - LCD Soundsystem
2009: Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups
2008: All Nightmare Long - Metallica
2007: Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce
2006: When You Were Young - The Killers
2005: Helena - My Chemical Romance
2004: Ch-Check It Out - Beastie Boys
2003: Faint - Linkin Park

No one has ever been able to take #1 twice, yet there are several people on the list who released new music this year. Will they be able to break through? Find out over the coming week!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:27 pm
The Kramer

First update incoming. 50-46

Also wanted to shout to some older songs I discovered for the first time this year. Like 90% of the Hamilton soundtrack which was really cool. And even though I haven't watched any plays or listened to any soundtracks since then, I am more open to it than before. Influence matters. :P

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 am
The Kramer

"My love is like thunder, it breaks before it leaves"

50. Lightning by Tiger Lili

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:50 am
The Kramer

"I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive"

49. Rain On Me by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:52 am
The Kramer

"My summary is like a fungus in weed, now I've got a Fuck You disease"

48. Vaccine by Locksmith

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:56 am
The Kramer

"Whether you like it or not, you're gonna take what I got"

47. Use My Voice by Evanescence

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:01 am
The Kramer

"I'm end up dead, I'll still be in vetements, find me in the back with a lethal weapon"

46. Party Till I Die by Kim Petras

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 am
The Kramer

50 and 49. So I mentioned how a select few artists would be given exceptions to the one artist rule if it was a featured player or different project entirely. Little did you know that both examples would come right away! Lightning is just Lili Trifilio bored during quarantine and coming up with new ideas that don’t fit with her usual band (more on that later.) Definitely one of the people who made the most of their isolation. For a girl just fuckin around, Tiger Lili made quite the firstish impression though, highlighting by an immersive outro that takes you directly the storm. Speaking of storms, Ari wasn’t too busy getting raid on to put out more new music this year (also upcoming) and her first collaboration with Gaga turned out to be a really fun time. This song debuted at #1 back in the early days of the pandemic and definitely hit the spot all around the world.

48. Vaccine is among many all too appropriate songs for the moment. Locksmith goes hard here for about two and a half minutes with one massive verse summing up his thoughts of how life is going. Though there is no traditional hook, the beat goes up and down in a cyclical matter, giving it the familiarity that Locksmith’s words have no use for.

47. Evanescence’s big comeback year was derailed along with everyone else’s plans, but a steady stream of singles brought their fans back to them anyways. This one in particular during a tumultuous summer, where people needed to know that their voice could be heard amongst the rabble. Hopefully this is leading to a return to form album when it drops sometime next year. Hopefully I finally get to see them live too, that shit is seventeen years in the making.

46. 2020 was a relatively quiet year for Ms. Petras, but she still found some time to add one final (update) to her horror themed Turn Off The Light anthology. Partying till you die probably sounded like a better time before people actually starting doing it, but I truly believe Kim could pull it off while practicing social distancing. The song really takes off in the second half, so stick around! This is Kim’s third year in a row on the chart too, after last year’s “Icy” and 2018’s “Turn Off The Light.”

Back with more tomorrow!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:08 am
The Kramer

45-41 incoming.

Also, go check out The Hu, a mongolian metal band that would have been an awesome addition to Sonic Temple if the festival had gone on this year. "Wolf Totem" is really good.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:45 pm
The Kramer

"We're running out of moonlight, just trying to use the time right"

45. Overkill by Holly Humberstone

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:51 pm
The Kramer

"Old grounds, feel like the weight has been lifted away"

44. I Want More by Kaleo

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:57 pm
The Kramer

"I can put a ball in the endzone, put a bad bitch in the friend zone"

43. What's Poppin by Jack Harlow

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:01 pm
The Kramer

"I'd rather find meaning in the concrete, I can see the wind blowing going out east"

42. Wu Dirt by Terrell Hines

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:07 pm
The Kramer

"You can't fill the hole inside you with money, drugs and cars"

41. You Should Be Sad by Halsey

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:12 pm
The Kramer

45. Holly Humberstone struggles to tell a crush how she feels in a song we can all probably relate to. You think about somebody all the time, yet when the time comes all that you can blurt out is stuff that has nothing to do with you, thankful for the opportunity at conversing with them. I mean the worst they can say is “No” and then you’re right back where you started, but sometimes the fantasy is better than knowing for sure. Love her vibe on this, as she sounds like she is out in the wilderness and trying to find her way back home.

44. Kaleo is one of the unfortunate artists who did have their new album delayed indefinitely by covid, mostly because they’re stuck out in the Atlantic on their home island of Iceland. A huge bummer for them since they had gained buzz with both this song and their other single “Break My Baby.” They’re exactly the type of band who would have benefited from the festival circuit. It has the alt-folky-blues sound that is so popular these days, but with enough experiment to make it their own. We all want more and will hopefully get it soon.

43. The original version of What’s Poppin is much better than the remix, if only for the put a bad bitch in the friend zone line that I quoted above. Jack Harlow is great at coming up with corny one liners that you don’t want to laugh at, but can’t help yourself. His other good song “Tyler Herro” has a bunch of funny lines too. This worked as a summer jam, even though we couldn’t hop in brand new whips or pass like Stockton.

42. If Vince Staples was Eminem, then Terrell Hines would be his 50 Cent. Of course neither is big enough to sell their own records, much less somebody else's, but it’s still an adpt comparison. I found this (and basically all the other hip-hop songs here) on the BARS playlist from Apple, which promises Sharp Lyrics and Smooth Beats .. and delivers exactly that. The verses, the hook, the beat changing from electronic to an orchestra - just cool shit all around. The boulders are rolling on the ground.

41. You Should Be Sad was not initially my favorite song on Manic, mostly because the I’m glad I never had a baby with you line is kinda cringe. Over time it has it grown on me because of just how much attitude she poured into it. Fuck you G-Eazy. Though really, if you date a guy whose claim to fame is saying ‘If I hit it one time I’m a piper’ then perhaps you shouldn’t be surprised when he is a total douche. That’s besides the point though. We can’t choose who we love. Also … g’damn Halsey looks good in this video. No better way to get revenge than a diss track combined with dancing in your underwear.

Another update later on!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Flavad-50: The Plague Year (50-41)
Flav, I’m really enjoying this thread (and the one from last year). It’s nice to be exposed to lots of music I’d otherwise never hear! Really enjoying Overkill and Party Till I Die from this year’s list. :)

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Keeping it Light

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
41. You Should Be Sad by Halsey

I didn't know this song before, but even though the lyrics might not be the best, it is my favorite Halsey track now.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:09 am
The Kramer

Glad to hear peoples are finding new musics!

Now when I said later, I obviously meant later in the week. :P But yes, I had a rather nasty headache the last few days that made listening to music much less pleasant than it ought to be. However, my Christmas present was that it left as quickly as it came. Or, as Ernest Kline would put it, much like in 1975's Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Halliday's 62nd favorite film, "I got better."

40-36 incoming.

Merry christmas to all.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:51 pm
The Kramer

I can change your whole life with a line, put that blueprint in design

40. Immaculate by KXNG Crooked, Toney and Joell Ortiz

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 pm
The Kramer

I never mattered, nobody ever cared, Gave me to strangers who claimed me as theirs

39. Just A Kid by Princess Nokia

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:02 pm
The Kramer

Things feel that low sometimes, even when everything is fine

38. Circle The Drain by Soccer Mommy

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:09 pm
The Kramer

I'm so good at crashin in, making sparks and shit but then...

37. Bad Friend by Rina Sawayama

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:15 pm
The Kramer

Fool me once, fool me twice, are you death or paradise?

36. No Time To Die by Billie Eilish

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:19 pm
The Kramer

40. Immaculate, another gem from the BARS playlist, is by an artist that my Homepod cannot pronounce - KXNG Crooked. I also can’t seem to find any lyrics online. This leads to a greater revelation I had in 2020 - rap is like rock now. The mainstream stuff is mostly garbage, but if you’re willing to dig a little deeper than you can still find some treasure. Crooked, Toney and Ortiz deliver an old-school group track, where each try to use their verses to outshine each other and are unable to because they are all equally great.

39. Princess Nokia nearly made the 2019 list twice with her singles Sugar Honey Iced Tea (SHIT) and Balenciaga. Those two actually lead to a double album release in 2020 though, Everything Is Beautiful and Everything Sucks. Naturally I lean towards the Sucks side and no surprise that it has the superior tracks on it. Nokia spends the entire album comparing herself to Harley Quinn, a patient in a mental-health home and even claims that she is Gross. Yet, on this final track on the album she puts the timeline in reverse, perhaps inspired by Mr. Nolan, and reveals the path she walked to get here. Remember folks, traumatizing shit from your childhood sticks with you, no matter how easily it can be brushed aside in the moment.

38. Depression is a bitch. And somehow it’s even worse when you have nothing to actually feel sad about. Soccer Mommy gets it and delivers this song that is rather groovy on the surface but hits so hard when the lyrics sink in. She called it a “cry for help” to make it so catchy, but I have an alternate theory as well, that I’ve probably mentioned before. Sometimes you’re so upset about everything that it almost becomes numbing, and then you realize that if you get sad about everything then it takes the stakes away from life - which … sounds more depressing than I realized when I started. Crap, there’s no way out - make sure to watch Inside Out after listening to this song.

37. Easy ways to win Flava’d over: 1) have an album with a variety of different sounds and genres 2) name drop Carly in a positive way. There’s a lot more ways to do it, but Rina hit two of the key points and thus was dropped into my rotation. We all know (and likely have been) the type of friend who is always focused on making things the way they were, back in the good ole days, even if it's clear that the other side just isn’t that person anymore. Nostalgia doesn’t just come in the form of entertainment, it's easy to get drawn back into the old ways. Honestly I don’t think it does make her a bad friend though. Sometimes you do need to escape from the reality you find on someone’s social media page, and they do too. Like all fun things, it just needs to be moderated.

36. No Time To Die is definitely the best Bond song … that did not have a movie attached to it. Lol sorry I had to. Had they decided to put this song out closer to the movie then we might not have even heard it by now, but they wanted Billie to show off at the oscars. Anyways, this song is really low key, and could turn off some folks who like dancing along to Bad Guy. But damn, those lyrics are sharp and how can one not get chills when the classic Bond sounds creep up in the background?

35-30 will come at .. somepoint soon? Sometime in between watching Wonder Woman 1984 and the end of days.

Also, Soul is so good and wins the award for best movie music. Reznor and Finch nailed it.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next