Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2024 WOKJ Movie Awards - FYC 
Wallflower

Post 2024 WOKJ Movie Awards - FYC
I know this is earlier than usual, but I'm assuming we will do the awards again this year. And it would be nice to give people more time to watch some of our favorites. It's usually too hard to cram them all into a short amount of time.

Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:01 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: 2024 WOKJ Movie Awards - FYC
I hope people check out Past Lives. It came back a while back but it really packs a punch!

Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

O wrote:
I hope people check out Past Lives. It came back a while back but it really packs a punch!
If you tell Showtime to put it up then I'll watch it. :)

All of my top five favs (Oppy, Spiderverse, Guardians, Wick, Swift) did very well at the box office this year so I assume most of you saw them. If there are any holdouts on Cocaine Bear, Dungeons and Dragons, Suzume, Air or Talk To Me ... Why? Just watch them already.

Also, I'll host again, but if Spidey, Jack Sparrow or even Dr. Lecter (whatever his secret identity is) want to take over again you are more than welcome. :yes:

Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:22 am
Wallflower

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
O wrote:
If you tell Showtime to put it up then I'll watch it. :)

A24 movies will be streaming exclusively on MAX.

Past Lives looks lovely but it didn't last long around here. I really wanted to see it but didn't have a chance. I'm a big fan of seeing movies in a theater whenever possible, so I'm going to wait for this one to come back during awards season. It will at least come back when theaters do their Best Picture showcases.

Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:57 am
The Kramer

Isn't that starting with Priscella though? So Past Lives, Beau Is Afraid and Talk To Me should still be on showtime/paramount eventually I think.

Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:02 am
Romosexual!

O wrote:

I NEED TO WATCH IT ALREADY! :disgust: in myself

Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:15 am
Wallflower

Isn't that starting with Priscella though? So Past Lives, Beau Is Afraid and Talk To Me should still be on showtime/paramount eventually I think.

I guess I'm not sure when they'll be on there. I was thinking all of the ones that are already out on physical disc would be on there at least. I couldn't really find any definite answers.

Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:29 pm
now we know

Well, I've only seen 22 films this year, which is shockingly low for me. The best of which is Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One. That's probably an obvious pick for many action film fans. Other than that the best ones I've seen are The Equalizer 3, Extraction 2, The Flash, Killers of the Flower Moon, Oppenheimer, Scream VI, and Sisu.

I still plan to see Napoleon, Godzilla Minus One, The Holdovers, Migration, Dream Scenario, The Killer, Thanksgiving, Reptile, and, yeah why-not ... Silent Night, but probably won't see them all.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

FYC May December, easy way to add 3 acting noms to your list (especially Portman)

Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:18 pm
The Kramer

Godzilla Minus One for everything. I never thought Oppy would have any competition in Sound but glad to have been proven wrong.

After a third watch of both, I'm torn between Spiderverse and Oppy for BP. Just two incredible films.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:06 am
Extraordinary

Definitely hope more people check out The Holdovers. Surprised the hell out of me and deserves noms.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:22 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Definitely hope more people check out The Holdovers. Surprised the hell out of me and deserves noms.

Look forward to the Holdovers though it may still be a good month or so before i see it. A great Alexander Payne film is usually something to cherish.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:07 am
Top Poster

Peacock on 12.29 for The Holdovers

Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:27 pm
Profile WWW

I mean The Boy and the Heron is the only good movie I saw this year, but I only saw two movies

Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:44 pm
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

ALL OF US STRANGERS

IN ALL CATEGORIES INCLUDING

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR (Andrew Haigh)
BEST ACTOR (Andrew Scott)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (Claire Foy)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Paul Mescal)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Jamie Bell)
BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST EDITING
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ART DIRECTION

A sublime masterpiece. A rumination on grief and love, Haigh’s poignant and understated ghost story is one of the best films of the year.
- Tomris Laffly, TheWrap

Tender but bruising, All of Us Strangers is an absolute marvel, the kind of movie that leaves a mark on you for weeks.
- Kimber Myers, Crooked Marquee

Scott is the one subtly shouldering the storytelling. Even if you’ve seen his theater work or some of his deeper cuts on British TV, his work in this moving tale about the power of love still feels like a revelation.
- David Fear, Rolling Stone

Built around wonderfully well-written conversations that draw out painful emotional truths between these four distinct people, the film is about seeing and being seen in a profound sense.
- Chase Hutchinson, Seattle Times

Mescal matches Scott look for look, anguish for anguish. But that’s not all they give; there’s also joy in each other and an electric charge to their physical connection. Both are open-hearted performances, fearless in laying bare their sensitive souls.
- Murtada Elfadl, AV Club

Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott spark in a masterful love story of loneliness and healing.
- Anna Bogutskaya, Time Out

Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:29 pm
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

THE STARLING GIRL

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR (Laurel Parmet)
BEST ACTRESS (Eliza Scanlen)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Lewis Pullman)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST EDITING
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONG (Ace Up My Sleeve - Lord Huron, Ben Schneider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04zL4BYP8fo )
BEST ART DIRECTION
BREAKTHROUGH (Laurel Parmet - Writer/Director)

The Starling Girl will stay with you. You’ll want to talk about it and will frantically look for someone else who has seen it do to so.
- Rachel Leishman, The Mary Sue

Parmet’s strong script and surety behind the camera navigates the audience through this complicated story of religion and sexuality, patriarchy and power, brought to eerily accurate life by the ensemble of excellent actors.
- Katie Walsh, TheWrap

The language and strictures of their religious community are perfectly rendered by writer and director Laurel Parmet, who captures the complicated interplay of power and immaturity that can blossom in isolated communities.
- Alissa Wilkinson, Vox

The film is an impressively complicated and compassionate drama about shame and desire.
- Ross McIndoe, Slant Magazine

Eliza Scanlen is superb in a moving performance that lingers long after leaving the theater.
- Joe Friar, Fort Worth Report

This one feels like something of a find, and I hope a few people stumble into this movie and discover some of its latent powers.
- Steven Prokopy, Third Coast Review

The Starling Girl is a memorable coming-of-age story that artfully juxtaposes depictions of repression and rebellion without falling into the usual plot clichés. Eliza Scanlen gives a riveting performance as a 17-year-old experiencing self-discovery.
- Carla Hay, Culture Mix

You will be blown away by every scene with Scanlen, who shines throughout.
- Zofia Wijaszka, Pay or Wait

The Starling Girl is authentic and subtle; troubling and triumphant. It’s quietly one of the best films SXSW 2023 had to offer.
- Ed Travis, Cinapse

WHERE TO STREAM: Paramount+ and Showtime

The Starling Girl is a film that deserves more recognition. It left a lasting impact on me after watching it in a cinema last May. Eliza Scanlen's performance is exceptional. Her portrayal not only captivates the audience but also showcases her versatility as an actress. It was the first time she impressed me, and now I can confidently say that I am officially a fan. Lewis Pullman also delivers a standout performance alongside her. The combination of their acting skills, the sensitive storytelling by writer/director Laurel Parmet, and the beautiful cinematography make The Starling Girl a must-see film that should not be overlooked. I highly recommend seeking out this criminally under-seen gem. It's one of the year's finest.

I would have bought a physical copy of this the day it hit physical media if it had gotten a Blu-ray release. I refuse to buy a DVD. I won't be surprised if one day this is part of the Criterion Collection. I will buy it when the format is upgraded.

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 am
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

A GOOD PERSON

BEST PICTURE
BEST ACTRESS
(Florence Pugh)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Morgan Freeman)
BEST ORIGINAL SONG ("I Hate Myself" - Florence Pugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxcuP8krdk )
BEST ORIGINAL SONG ("The Best Part" - Florence Pugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTBvWp-llrQ )

Pugh gives a mesmerising performance and Freeman, for once cast in a very substantial role, is better than he’s been in several years.
- David Stratton, The Australian

This is a film that belongs to its leads. Pugh gives a visceral portrayal of a young person who has succumbed to addiction, and Freeman is haunting as the sharp-tongued, stern ex-police officer who has a dark past of his own.
- Kelly-Anne Taylor, Radio Times

Writer-director Zach Braff goes dark with the addiction film “A Good Person” featuring compelling performances by Florence Pugh as an opioid addict and Morgan Freeman as a recovering alcoholic. Freeman is terrific and Pugh has never been better.

"A Good Person" is a sincere depiction of grief, addiction, forgiveness, accountability, pain and redemption anchored by two strong and moving performances.

- Rosa Parra, The Daily Chela

A brutal and heartbreaking film, anchored by emotionally devastating performances by Florence Pugh and Morgan Freeman, that forces us to confront our grief but also leaves you with an offer of hope.
- Matt Rodriguez, Shakefire

WHERE TO STREAM: AMAZON PRIME

Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:23 pm
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

SALTBURN

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
(Emerald Fennell)
BEST ACTOR (Barry Keoghan)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (Rosamund Pike)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (Alison Oliver)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Jacob Elordi)
BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST EDITING
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ART DIRECTION
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST SOUND DESIGN
FUNNIEST COMEDY OF THE YEAR

Director Fennell knows how to keep her story moving. It’s both wickedly funny and sharply serious and a terrific directorial juggling act. Just when you think everything is wrapped up, she delivers a surprise. A true jolt to your senses.
- Michael Calleri, Niagara Gazette

I am pulling no punches when I admit that Saltburn is one of my favorite movies of 2023. Emerald Fennell’s newest film is brave. It’s uncomfortable and it’s ready to make you revel in the weirdness.
- Kimberly Pierce, Geek Girl Authority

The power of Barry Keoghan’s center-ring performance cannot be adequately over-praised.
-Rex Reed, Observer

Barry Keoghan is the star of this film, and he damn well knows it... well-acted, diabolical, and decadent, there’s an underlying sense of it being more of a dark fairy tale than anything taken too seriously.
- Kevin A. Ranson, MovieCrypt.com

Director Emerald Fennell continues to prove she is one of our most creative storytellers with Barry Keoghan, Rosamund Pike and Jacob Elordi giving standout performances.
- Lauren Veneziani, DC Film Girl

With excellent acting, arresting visuals and art direction to die for, this is one of the most original movies to be released in years.
- Ben Turner, The Pink Lens

It is through its unapologetic manipulation that a movie which might easily otherwise have been just another mindless, lurid thriller [turn] into a savage piece of cinema that you’ll want to see again and again.- John Paul King, Washington Blade

Fennell’s stunning visuals and Barry Keoghan’s excellence lift "Saltburn" to must-watch status.
- Alan French, Sunshine State Cineplex

Disturbing and brilliant, with vile characters who will stay with you long after you make their acquaintance.
- Linda Cook, OurQuadCities / WHBF-TV (Illinois)

Saltburn is a dizzying, wicked spell of lust, lies, and betrayal. It’s one of the best films I’ve seen all year, but I know it will be divisive for audiences.
- Paul McGuire Grimes, KSTP-TV (St. Paul, MN)

Refreshing, naughty, shocking, and unforgettable, it's a deliciously twisted tale of obsession and desire that is just as alluring as it is sickening.
- Doug Jamieson, The Jam Report

Lavish, intoxicating, and audaciously provocative, Saltburn is a fearless work from Fennell. A wicked character study that delivers an uncompromising look at social class, eroticism, and youth. It’s an amusement park of sex, lies and seduction.- David Gonzalez,
The Cinematic Reel

WHERE TO STREAM:AMAZON PRIME

Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:12 pm
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

SANCTUARY

FOR ALL ELIGIBLE CATEGORIES INCLUDING

BEST PICTURE
BEST ACTRESS
(Margaret Qualley)
BEST ACTOR (Christopher Abbott)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Qualley is intoxicating, delivering a masterclass performance. When she’s not dispensing piercing stares, the audience is left hanging on her every word. Abbott is proficient at reserved performances and he is terrific.

The result is a film as cracklingly smart, as devilishly funny, and as alive as any you’re likely to see this year.
- Oscar Goff, Boston Hassle

At the center are two powerhouse performances from Christopher Abbott and Margaret Qualley who seem both keen and eager to stimulate thoughtful interpretations from their reading of the script and the subtext hidden beneath the surface.
- Nate Adams, The Only Critic

The final result from Sanctuary is two of the best acting performances of 2023, with a narrative that will spark great conversation, in a sharp portrayal of the many pleasures– or pains–that can happen in a person’s world.
- Leo Brady, AMovieGuy.com

Margaret Qualley and Christopher Abbott never lose our attention as the duo are acting their hearts out in Sanctuary.
- Danielle Solzman, Solzy at the Movies

Bold, provocative, intermittently shocking entertainment. Margaret Qualley is a dynamo.
- Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat

Super sexy & psychotic manipulative mind games with a terrific script, score & camerawork make this tight single location thriller a captivating blast. Qualley is so convincingly phenomenal that she had me simultaneously terrified and equally turned on.
- Aaron White, Feelin' Film Podcast

Qualley’s dominance in 'Sanctuary' is not limited to her character's profession; it's in every scene she graces, every line she delivers, every look she gives.
- Matt Oakes, Silver Screen Riot

Rich with dominating performances by Christopher Abbott and Margaret Qualley, the film examines power within gender, class, humanity, and relationship dynamics in a delicious fashion. It's a one-night stand all cinephiles should desire.
- David Gonzalez, The Cinematic Reel

WHERE TO STREAM: HULU

Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:13 pm
The Kramer

Magic Mike wrote:

I guess I'm not sure when they'll be on there. I was thinking all of the ones that are already out on physical disc would be on there at least. I couldn't really find any definite answers.
Feb 2 for Past Lives on Paramount.

Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 am
The Kramer

I'll put up the thread sometime this week. Wanted to see Poor Things before starting my ballot and I like to fill out my own ballot first to prevent any temptation of using inside info ... Though I still do wonder if I should have given Everything Everywhere the win last year cause I totally could have. :P

Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

If you haven't seen these films, see them this weekend before it’s too late:

Dream Scenario - great quirky performances especially from Nic Cage. Could even be considered in horror ir comedy. See it on Prime or Apple.

Air - surprisingly good. Damon at his best. See it on Prime.

Past Lives - great fir so many categories including Picture, Director, Actress, Screenplay, Cinematography, Foreign and Breakout

Other notables:

The Holdovers - comedy, drama, direction, all three main actors

Scream 6 best horror

Surprise damn good mainstream film : Gran Turismo

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:06 pm
Wallflower

I'm seeing Past Lives and Maestro in a theater tonight. I'm making my nominations, but I'm going to wait and see if I'll want to add anything from these two movies before sending them in.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:14 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes, the more you can see the better.

Will be interested on your take on both.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:40 pm
Wallflower

Here are some random FYC's that I have been reminded of when making my ballot.

BEST PICTURE

Talk To Me

BEST DIRECTOR

Michael & Daniel Philippou, Talk To Me

BEST ACTOR

Ben Aldridge, Knock at the Cabin

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Dominic Sessa, The Holdovers

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Adele Exarchopoulos, Passages
Anne Hathaway, Eileen

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Knock at the Cabin
Eileen

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

When Evil Lurks
Good Boy
Joyland
Two Tickets to Greece
Origin of Evil
Dancing Queen

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carmen

BEST EDITING

Talk To Me

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Talk To Me
Bottoms

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

Stardust, The Cary Brothers (A Good Person)

I didn't realize this was made specifically for the movie when I created my earlier FYC for the film.

BEST MAKEUP

Evil Dead Rise
Sisu
Eileen

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Dark Harvest
Gran Turismo

BEST ART DIRECTION

Dark Harvest
Carmen

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Eileen

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

Dominic Sessa, The Holdovers
Sophie Wilde, Talk To Me
Michael & Daniel Philippou, Talk To Me
Andrew Barth Feldman, No Hard Feelings

BEST SOUND

Talk To Me
Sisu

SCARIEST HORROR FILM

Talk To Me
When Evil Lurks
Cobweb
Birth/Rebirth

BEST USE OF A NON-ORIGINAL SONG

The Power of Love, Frankie Goes To Hollywood (All of Us Strangers)
Murder On The Dancefloor, Sophie Ellis-Bextor (Saltburn)
Death of a Party, Blur (All of Us Strangers)
Time To Pretend, MGMT (Saltburn)
Maneater, Daryl Hall & John Oates (No Hard Feelings)

Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next