Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 2023 Movie Awards: For Your Consideration 
Wallflower

Post Re: 2023 Movie Awards: For Your Consideration
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

MEN

IN ALL CATEGORIES INCLUDING

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

WHERE TO STREAM: SHOWTIME

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:12 am
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

AFTERSUN

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR (Charlotte Wells)
BEST ACTOR (Paul Mescal)
BREAKTHROUGH (Paul Mescal)
BREAKTHROUGH (Charlotte Wells)

It’s not just a wrenching family drama but a fascinating meditation on memory, the poignant dance between past and present, and the experience of looking back on childhood with the perspective of an adult, seeing things we didn’t notice before.
- Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)

Charlotte Wells has produced something that will have us talking for years and years to come.
- Alberto Cox Délano, Pajiba

The fact that this is Charlotte Wells’ feature film writing and directorial debut is stunning. Her vision is laid out meticulously, is so well-paced, and it has one of the absolute best final scenes/images of the year.
- Aaron White, Feelin' Film Podcast

There is so much going on in Aftersun that I might have to watch it again, and you know what? It will surely break my heart a second time.
- Chris Wasser, Sunday Independent (Ireland)

I had my top-five-movies-of-the-year list all sorted. Now - boom! - I’ve had to start from scratch. Damn you, Mescal, for being the cornerstone of something so beautiful.
- Charlotte O'Sullivan, London Evening Standard

So memorable and moving the first time, Aftersun is all the more affecting seen again. And again. It deserves all the prizes.
- David Sexton, New Statesman

Emotional, beautiful, and heartbreaking, Aftersun is perfection. In the moments of love and laughter, Wells is able to capture the sadness creeping in...
- Kate Sánchez, But Why Tho? A Geek Community

From its gut-wrenching script and stirring cinematography to brilliant performances from the always-spectacular Paul Mescal and newcomer Frankie Corio, Aftersun is a special one.
- Lauren Bradshaw, Fangirl Freakout

A stunner, a heartbreaker on love, grief and the random moments in life that solidify into haunting memories.
- Randy Myers, San Jose Mercury News

WHERE TO STREAM: MUBI

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:33 am
Wallflower

I hope enough people have seen Cha Cha Real Smooth. It's a wonderful film and one of the best of 2022. It should have been another awards season winner for AppleTV+. It's the kind of indie crowd-pleaser that would have been a sleeper hit at the box office years ago before such films were relegated to streaming. I can't wait to see what Cooper Raiff does next. I hope whatever it is it's seen by more people than saw this absolute gem.

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 am
Wallflower

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

DON'T WORRY DARLING

BEST ACTRESS (Florence Pugh)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST MAKEUP
BEST ART DIRECTION
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST EDITING

Pugh's phenomenally ferocious femme grabs the story by the throat and does not let go.
- Kate Rodger, Newshub (NZ)

Reconfirms Pugh as an acting powerhouse.
- Beth Accomando, KPBS.org

“Don’t Worry Darling” is a well-made motion picture with outstanding production values and a spectacular lead performance by Florence Pugh at its core. It also proves that filmmaker Olivia Wilde can direct an action sequence with the best of them.
- Michael Calleri, Niagara Gazette

It’s not easy playing most of a film in a state of paranoid terror, and somehow Pugh keeps it from becoming monotonous... This film is one more piece of evidence of this young British actress’ formidable powers.
- Kristian M. Lin, Fort Worth Weekly

Olivia Wilde's Don't Worry Darling has lush visuals, excellent set design, and amazing performances from Pugh and Pine.
- Natasha Alvar, Cultured Vultures

Don't worry about the real-life drama. The majority of the "Don't Worry Darling" is captivating, with sleek visuals and camera angles, threads of dread sewn in, underscored by strikingly terrifying score that continues the momentum until the last act.
- Nathalia Aryani, The MovieMaven

Wilde’s thriller succeeds on various levels. Pugh is very good while the cinematography and set design are impeccable. Also enjoyed John Powell's score.
- Joe Friar, Fort Worth Report

Pugh is phenomenal, throwing everything she has into her role and carrying large chunks of the film more or less single-handedly.
- Wendy Ide, Observer (UK)

The cinematography is beautiful with editing choices that are designed to fluster our senses to create anxiety and confusion.
- Chris Joyce, Movies and Munchies (YouTube)

Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:20 am
Wallflower

FYC - BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

GIRL PICTURE

Girl Picture is a close-to-perfect showcase of passion, desire, and the pursuit of liberation when it comes to identity.
- Brittany Witherspoon, Screen Rant

CLOSE

OSCAR NOMINEE - BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE

Close is beautiful, sad, tender and wrenching, a towering achievement both at the level of craft and theme.
- Paul Byrnes, Sydney Morning Herald

Now Playing In Theaters

PIGGY

While this intelligent Spanish slasher gleefully sloshes on the high-tension splatter, it also delights in inverting generic tropes, dishing up a lip-smacking level of moral complexity.
- Larushka Ivan-Zadeh, Times (UK)

Where to stream: Hulu

THE INNOCENTS

There isn't a film like The Innocents out there. Hollywood isn’t bold enough and if you think these stories have been told before in “grounded” superhero films such as Chronicle, think again. This is one interesting film.
- Federico Furzan, Go See Talk

Where to stream: AMC+

HAPPENING

Happening is an honest, harrowing, frighteningly timely, moving, and powerful experience.
- Matt Hudson, What I Watched Tonight

Where to stream: Hulu

Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:56 am
Wallflower

Has anyone else here actually seen Close? I would love to nominate it for more than just Foreign Language Film but I feel like it might be a waste. Such a terrific movie though.

Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

FYC

Triangle of Sadness

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay
Best Actor - Harris Dickinson
Best Actress - Charlbi Dean
Best Supporting Actress - Dolly de Leon
Funniest Comedy

The Lost City

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay
Best Stunt Ensemble
Best Actress - Sandra Bullock
Best Actor - Channing Tatum
Best Costume Design (sequin dress)

Jackass Forever

Best Picture
Funniest Comedy
Best Art Design (godzilla penis sequence)
Best Stunt Ensemble
Breakout performer - Zach Holmes (the new fat guy)

Best Song: Taylor Swift - Carolina (Where the Crawdads Sing)

Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:24 pm
Wallflower

Ok it's maybe pointless since most have sent in their ballots and most haven't seen it but I'm doing it.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

CLOSE

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR (Lukas Dhont)
BEST ACTOR (Eden Dambrine)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR (Gustav De Waele)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS (Émilie Dequenne)
BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST EDITING
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ART DIRECTION

[A] sharply observed, heartbreaking masterpiece...
- G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle

The loss of childhood innocence has rarely been portrayed so powerfully on screen as in this heartbreaking second feature from Belgian writer-director Lukas Dhont.
- Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion

Eden Dambrine, Gustav De Waele, and Emile Dequuenne carry the emotional punch Dhont gives to the audience about being alone and how it connects with everyone.
- Brian Susbielles, InSession Film

It can be a cliche to say that a film will linger with viewers long after it ends, but Close earns that status as something beautiful, bittersweet and undeniably powerful.
- Lisa Trifone, Third Coast Review

What elevates Close is the almost casual way the worm of doubt can be installed in a previously happy existence—an observation devastatingly brought to life.
- Robert Horton, The Scarecrow

CLOSE is one of my favorite films from last year and earned its Oscar nomination.
- JD Duran, InSession Film

Close is a portrait of before & after, of the intimacy of friendship & the devastation of losing it, with an astonishing performance at the center.
- Graeme Guttmann, Screen Rant

“Close” is truly a directorial tour de force. Dhont knew what he wanted to say and said it with grace, dignity, and depth.
- Neely Swanson, Beverly Hills Courier

a sensitive examination of the restrictions society places on masculinity, robbing men of intimacy it deems inappropriate. Eden Dambrine… simply gives one of the great child performances committed to film.
- Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews

It's one of if not the best indie/international film this year! Newcomer Eden Dambrine gives one of the best performances of the year & with Dhont’s directing/writing this is a heartbreak and yet truthful depictions of friendship & loss I’ve ever seen!
- Samuel Leggett Jr., JVS Media & Productions/Team JVS

Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 am

Very, very nice movies! I watched some of them, as I am very fond of cinematography. Girl picture was my favorite, for sure. I watched it so many times with my friends. Some day I wish to produce such a good film as these are. I am sure with the knowledge accumulated at my film school in Prague, I have high chances! I need to be motivated to learn more and to fight against the challenges. Furthermore, I know this industry can be harsh, but I am ready to deal with it.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3