Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 How worried about the Omicron variant are you? 

Not worried at all, let's move on with life 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Kind of worried, I might wear my mask but others don't have to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty worried, we should force masks and social distancing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Extremely worried, lockdown please! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

The Kramer

Post Re: How worried about the Omicron variant are you?
Over a million reported cases yesterday, almost 2000 deaths and Hulk Hogan accused the vaccine of killing Betty White. This war is over. Covid won.

I think we need to start considering permanent adjustments over the lockdowns and mandates that don't work because nobody follows them.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:23 pm
Hold the door!

Everyone I know has had Omicron already or been exposed. Numbers about to come down.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Stop presenting your case scenario at every second post zwackerm. It does not represent the mass public in general, either your circle is too small or you are lucky enough to not see people getting infected, that does not mean others aren't going to/getting the virus. After 1m cases what else do you expect (the numbers to keep going up?). Though I have to stay they have been increasing while you keep talking about your scenario and making assumptions of how state of things will look like soon (it's not happening!). It's all about how soon can numbers go down and the impact this current and future state brings to medical system and health of public in general. People are still dying and it might be non-vaccinated people due to other variant but the increase in spread is most likely due to the new variant and those are the facts represented by numbers.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

In light of Omicron it seems most people have accepted that vaccinated people get and spread covid. The vaccines are just supposed to stop you from getting as sick when they get it. So creating a two tiered society of rights between vaccinated and unvaccinated makes no sense and should end. An unvaccinated person going to a movie theatre or restaurant isn't going to spread covid more than a vaccinated person going to a college football game. Plus at this point people have already dug in about being vaccinated vs unvaccinated making it less likely the mandate is affecting their decision.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:14 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Stop presenting your case scenario at every second post zwackerm. It does not represent the mass public in general, either your circle is too small or you are lucky enough to not see people getting infected, that does not mean others aren't going to/getting the virus. After 1m cases what else do you expect (the numbers to keep going up?). Though I have to stay they have been increasing while you keep talking about your scenario and making assumptions of how state of things will look like soon (it's not happening!). It's all about how soon can numbers go down and the impact this current and future state brings to medical system and health of public in general. People are still dying and it might be non-vaccinated people due to other variant but the increase in spread is most likely due to the new variant and those are the facts represented by numbers.

Public enemy just did the exact same thing don’t jump down my throat about something someone else just did too.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:41 pm
The Kramer

The unvaccinated are still taking up valuable resources from people whose sickness was not a choice. Doesn't seem fair that their decisions should be so costly to the rest of us.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

Public enemy just did the exact same thing don’t jump down my throat about something someone else just did too.

No! Read what he said and what you have been insisting for past few months. Stop just stop!!

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

No! Read what he said and what you have been insisting for past few months. Stop just stop!!

My point is that this surge will not last long, not that it doesn’t matter at all that it’s surging.

Why don’t you stop caring so much about my opinion? Like for example I disagree with like 90% of what flava’d posts and I literally just don’t care.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Disagreement is fine. Using personal experience as national data isn't!

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
The unvaccinated are still taking up valuable resources from people whose sickness was not a choice. Doesn't seem fair that their decisions should be so costly to the rest of us.

Is a healthy unvaccinated person a bigger threat to use a hospital bed than a vaccinated obese smoker or a vaccinated person who has a trampoline in their backyard? Everyone makes choices that makes them more or less likely to take a hospital bed.

Meanwhile as I say this Quebec announced they're going to tax unvaccinated people like they're feudal lords.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:

Is a healthy unvaccinated person a bigger threat to a hospital bed than a vaccinated obese smoker or a vaccinated person who has a trampoline in their backyard? Everyone makes choices that makes them more or less likely to take a hospital bed.

Agreed on smoking but that has been discussed and doesn't spread as rapidly. Trampoline though?

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:27 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Messaging is what failed here. It's failed very early, and has just snowballed and hasn't reached the bottom of the mountain yet.

This is the biggest failure of the current information era we live in, and should serve as a pretty dire warning for many future problems when they occur. (Becoming an irresponsible reactive society/world over a proactive one is probably the second biggest failure.) It feels weird, almost wrong, to say there is "too much information", but it sort of has been the case. And perhaps that's the cost of having too much information. The information has been largely split in half, and then the people on either side of the information are using it to spread their messaging. Which does nothing but make the division even deeper. Truth is, there's probably a fair, balanced message based on equal information out there, it's just being squashed between two fat buns of toxic chaos.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:
Meanwhile as I say this Quebec announced they're going to tax unvaccinated people like they're feudal lords.

That's bad completely unreasonable :disgust:

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:42 am
The Dark Knight

I'm surprised that's actually legal. Seems antithetical to the non-discrimination principle of any liberal democracy.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 am
The Kramer

Is it really any different from the Sin Tax? Why should I have to pay extra money for beer while some unvaccinated person gets to kill their grandma for free?

Now, if you wanna get rid of the Sin Tax then I'm all for that.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

Is it really any different from the Sin Tax? Why should I have to pay extra money for beer while some unvaccinated person gets to kill their grandma for free?

I think there's a subtle but important difference between taxing a product and declaring every unvaxxed person owes them money

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:34 pm
The Dark Knight

Indeed. Taxing products deemed harmful and costly to society is fine, but this is more akin to taxing overweight/obese people based on the fact that they are overweight/obese. Or people with diabetes instead of taxing products with too much sugar.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:09 pm
The Kramer

But the mere concept of the Sin Tax is discriminatory is it not? Sure, smokers should have to pay for ruining our air, I'm fine with that. How does me drinking beer in my home hurt society in any way? The whole concept of sin is religious and not everyone obeys fantasy stories from thousands of years ago.

How about Unvaccinated people have to pay 10% extra at restaurants, bars, sporting venues, etc.... That seems to be in line with what the Sin Tax is. Should be relabeled the Indulgence Tax and then we can group it all together.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

But the mere concept of the Sin Tax is discriminatory is it not? Sure, smokers should have to pay for ruining our air, I'm fine with that. How does me drinking beer in my home hurt society in any way? The whole concept of sin is religious and not everyone obeys fantasy stories from thousands of years ago.

How about Unvaccinated people have to pay 10% extra at restaurants, bars, sporting venues, etc.... That seems to be in line with what the Sin Tax is. Should be relabeled the Indulgence Tax and then we can group it all together.

The ones they can't go to? In the case of restaurants I guess you could tax the to go food or Doordash stuff... but if they wanted to be dicks like that they could just ban unvaccinated people from those altogether.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:58 pm
The Dark Knight

The whole sin aspect is stupid. It shouldn't be based on whether it follows some religious fantasy, but what impact such products have on people's health. And we all know cigarettes, alcohol and sugar all have negative consequences in that regard: obesity, heart disease, lung/liver cancer, etc. Think of it more as a Pigovian tax that aims both 1) to disincentivize consumption and 2) to make up in part for the social economic costs caused by these products.

I don't think such a policy could be implemented with unvaccinated people because it would have to be based on status, not consumption, and I do find that problematic. I'm against treating people differently based on status, even if said status is people doing harm to themselves (unvaccinated, obese, drug addict, alcoholic, etc). Not to mention the lack of privacy involved.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Based off of data from South Africa, the daily numbers
Should take a nose dive soon

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:50 am
Hold the door!

My friend had the Omicron variant back before New years. They were supposed to leave for a mission trip to Kenya yesterday, but their test still came back positive even though the quarantine period is up and he is fully recovered. Absolutely ridiculous, and why the whole "you must test again after 5 days to break quarantine" is stupid, since you can still "test positive" for weeks, and sometimes over a month after infection.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Next zwackerm will claim dying from any strain is "stupid".

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

This feud is really passive aggressive compared to mine with Chippy/Magnus where it was a 5 minute match of trading finishing moves

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ugh.... Why are there so many defenders for zwackerm.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next