Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 How worried about the Omicron variant are you? 

Not worried at all, let's move on with life 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Kind of worried, I might wear my mask but others don't have to 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pretty worried, we should force masks and social distancing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Extremely worried, lockdown please! 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Hold the door!

Post How worried about the Omicron variant are you?
Explain your answer

Last edited by zwackerm on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Will you take a Covid vaccine?
Yes but only if I know all details about it. I'm not going to blindly take vaccination for something that hasn't affected me. Though I believe we might be forced to take the vaccine in Singapore once it's widely available.

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am
Romosexual!

Yes I will take it. Probably around holiday season 2021 or when easily available. In the meantime keep wearing mask, sanitize religiously and maintain social distance.

THINGS WE ALL SHOULD ALREADY BE DOING!!!

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:59 am
The Kramer

What’s different about this vaccine is there is A Lot of financial motivation to get it out as quick as possible. Plus, the flu vaccine only works for that year, will covid be different and if so why? I need to know these things.

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm
Romosexual!

We will have Covid shots every year like we do Flu shots.

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:58 pm
Top Poster

By the time we in the general public has access to it after April, we’ll know about any side effects experienced by the earlier groups, so hopefully it should be safe enough for us then.

I am concerned that the 90% safe number may be overly optimistic depending on the demographics of the volunteers. Almost every year that I took flu shot I still get sick with the flu. So people may think they are fine after the vaccine but will still get COVID-19, and I wonder if those that do get it are more likely to be of high risk group? Ten percentage of 300 million is still 30 million people.

Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I take the flu shot every year, and never get the flu or any side effects.

The Pfizer vaccine has no live virus in it, so it’s not supposed to be able to “give you COVID”.

Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:39 am
Top Poster

From https://www.pfizer.com/science/coronavirus, they have a link to specific details about the study design: https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazon ... ov2020.pdf

I read Section 4 Study Design and Section 5 Study Population (pgs. 36-44). It looks like for Phase 1, they excluded studying anyone with preexisting conditions. Then in Phase 2 they are allowing people with preexisting conditions to be considered, with 360 participants of a) 90 18-55 age with vaccine, 90 55-85 age with vaccine, c) 90 18-55 age with placebo, and d) 90 55-85 age with placebo . Phase 3 is for studying children 12-15.

Based on reading this, my main concern is if people with preexisting conditions are underrepresented in the study in Phase 2, and they did not give out any details about how many they studied. Since we know most of the deaths were people with preexisting conditions, I'm afraid about whether they determined if the vaccine protects those groups or not.

Also, it mentions that poentially suicidal people were excluded from the study. However, I wonder if the higher-risk people (preexisting conditions/unhealthy old) are more likely to be potentially suicidal group. Recent studies had shown nearly half of young adults show signs of depression and 25-37% (depending on which study) contemplated suicide, so it could be a large number of people to exclude, especially since we don't know how many Covid deaths were people in that group.

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I will wait six or so months. It’s admittedly an arbitrary period during which I’ll see what happens to those who have taken it. I think many people will refuse to take it. If few people get inoculated, how then will we recover.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:59 am
Devil's Advocate

I don't think vaccines will be mandatory, but the government can stop people from being allowed in places if they don't take it.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm
The Kramer

This is probably one of the more bipartisan things going on right now.

Libs are mistrustful of the vaccine because the virus is so closely associated to Trump.

Pubs are mistrustful of the vaccine because like all vaccines its just a hoax to plant microchips in them and give autism to their children.

President Biden might be able to convince one side, but I dunno,

Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm
Extraordinary

Whenever I can absolutely unless we have some new development in regards to it.

And if that means you can't go to places like Disneyland or concerts without getting the vaccine I'm good with that.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 pm
Hold the door!

And the FDA approved the Pfizer vaccine for distribution in America.

Still several months from wide availability but at least there’s truly an end in sight now.

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's just a mask
It's just a vaccine
It's just a few more months of lockdowns since the Trump supporters won't take it
It's just a card so you can prove you have the vaccine to get in places
It's just a tracking device so we know who has the vaccine
It's just tracking poor behaviour like jaywalking or littering or rewarding people for shopping more at minority owned restaurants
It's just shutting down the most pollution heavy industries to get the climate change crisis under control
It's just a fine for driving too much and passing your pollution limit for the week

When will people realize human beings have a long history of tyrants that continues to this day, and it can happen in 1st world countries? A pandemic wasn't supposed to happen here either. They are taking our way of life which we liked before our eyes because to people like Bill Gates if the US and Africa both become China it's a net win, Africa has 1.2 billion people and the US has 330.

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:04 pm
Hold the door!

I will be first in line for the vaccine once there is enough for healthcare workers and the elderly and immunocompromised. As a grocery store worker I am eligible most likely to get it sometime in January as part of wave 2 in the state of PA but am debating whether I will. It’s tempting but wouldn’t wanna take it from someone who is more likely to have severe symptoms. But I also have avoided the virus this long despite my job dealing with thousands daily and I’d love to have more peace of mind about seeing my loved ones.

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:46 pm
100% That Bitch

yes

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 am
Top Poster

While the vaccine may likely suppress major symptoms from normal people who weren’t going to die without the vaccine anyway, it has not been shown shown to actually prevent death or spread to those at the highest risk.

The vaccine study undersamples the population most likely to die from COVID-19 (maybe on purpose, for greater chance of being approved to avoid deaths?), as 50% of those who die are over age 77 in US and 82 in UK (people at an age whose family already fear for their deaths prior to COVID-19 anyway).

And the younger groups that die are mostly people with pre-existing conditions, which the study made no effort to try to measure them. Also suicidal/overly depressed people who were excluded from the study, IMO have higher likelihood from dying from COVID-19 (or any disease) than generally happier people because they have less will to stay alive once infected.

So what I see happening is the death rate “with COVID-19” doesn’t drop post-vaccine. Just like in certain states like California, the overall death rate in 2020 has been matching overall death rate in 2019, so deaths from other causes became lower while getting redistributed to COVID-19 deaths instead.

In fact, I think there is a chance the death rate “with COVID-19” become higher, since those vaccinated are less careful in not transmitting to others because without symptoms they become even less aware they are spreading it. As well as those most vulnerable to die now thinking it’s safer to come out since after being vaccinated.

I think there’s a likelihood of another wave of lockdowns post-vaccines, since this pandemic have become too profitable for big business, big tech, big pharmacy, and deep state government to allow this new normal to end prematurely for them.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

zwackerm wrote:
I will be first in line for the vaccine once there is enough for healthcare workers and the elderly and immunocompromised. As a grocery store worker I am eligible most likely to get it sometime in January as part of wave 2 in the state of PA but am debating whether I will. It’s tempting but wouldn’t wanna take it from someone who is more likely to have severe symptoms. But I also have avoided the virus this long despite my job dealing with thousands daily and I’d love to have more peace of mind about seeing my loved ones.

No debate, get it, not only would you know when it comes back again, but you have to look at you’re more likely to infect those you are working with, helping, makes your family safer etc. when workers get it, it becomes safer for people that only go out for food, medical, a wider safety net. Especially if you remain symptomless.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 pm
Top Poster

Thegun wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

No debate, get it, not only would you know when it comes back again, but you have to look at you’re more likely to infect those you are working with, helping, makes your family safer etc. when workers get it, it becomes safer for people that only go out for food, medical, a wider safety net. Especially if you remain symptomless.

This is a big misconception about the current vaccines preventing spread, There has been no research done determining that getting the vaccine prevents spread to others. That was not the end goal of the currently developed vaccines either, instead it’s mainly to reduce symptoms. Vaccines focused on preventing spread will come much later,

An asymptomatic individual can still spread through touching (which is why hand washing is of the highest importance). While one can argue that an asymptomatic individual does not sneeze or cough, which are more contagious form of spreading; my counter thought is be that person would have instead stayed at home with symptoms, rather than now vaccinated be 90-95% more likely to be asymptomatic when infected

This is truly dangerous if front line workers getting the vaccine is now makes themup to 90-95% more likely to do asymptomatic spread at work or in public than before the vaccine.

Though to certain irresponsible/understaffed companies/hospitals/nursing homes that currently force their employees to work through any sick symptoms (until at least they wait several days to get official test results that they are positive), this vaccine does help at least suppress coughing/sneezing spread from them.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do not disagree with what Alex said but to blatantly suggest that the vaccine makes you asymptomatic patient is also incorrect. The vaccines are preparing your bodies of the virus attacks so it is the most effective for people who haven't gotten the virus yet or are asymptomatic. For people who have already gotten the virus will not be released immediately after the vaccine till their bodies prepare to fight the virus and are free from it. If someone hasn't been detected and are unwilling to take the vaccine are spreading it regardless.

Now there will be very few exceptions where some people get the virus after the vaccine but by that time most people would /should have their bodies prepared to fight the virus.

There will also be cases who become careless after the vaccine but again their bodies are well prepared to not get infected thus more than 95% of them will not spread the virus.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

Like I said thinking there will be mandatory vaccines and that's the end of it, is like believing the mob will leave you alone if you do what they want. They will move the goalposts and come for more totalitarian control as long as people let them.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:59 pm
Top Poster

According to https://www.justfacts.com/news_covid-19_essential_facts

“C-19 has killed about one out of every 1,067 Americans, whereas one out of every 116 Americans die every year.”

This 1 out of 116 Americans die every year statistic, I think catches most of us off guard as surprisingly high, but makes sense if you think about the average life expectancy.

We really have to keep that number in mind, in order to have better context for number of COVID-19 deaths. Especially since the majority of COVID-19 deaths are from people who—if COVID-19 never existed—had high probabilities of dying from other causes.

Let’s think back to the surprise health-related deaths of seemingly healthy people we knew in our lives over the years before COVID-19. Most of us know at least one of these who had died too young with undetected health conditions.

If COVID-19 had existed years ago, and these seemingly healthy people had instead contracted COVID-19 say 1 month before their eventual deaths from other health causes, I’m pretty sure they would’ve end up passing away from COVID-19 earlier instead, and that would’ve been blamed as their cause of death.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I wonder if there’s a website or something that tracks vaccination efforts in the US/world. Would be encouraging to track along with daily case and death counts.

Apparently the projection for US vaccinations by January 1st 2021 is 20 million people get their first shot out of 2. I wonder if there’s an easily accessible website that is tracking this.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:36 am
Devil's Advocate

Too many dancing nurses

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 500 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next