Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What are you reading right now? (2022) 
The Kramer

Post Re: What are you reading right now? (2021)
Didn't read any books released in 2021 (I'll get to those in about ten years), but of the "new" stuff I did read...

1. The Return of the King by JRR Tolkien - 10/10
2. The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien - 9.9/10
3. Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie - 8.5
4. Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari - 8
5. The Twelve by Justin Cronin - 8

6. It by Stephen King - 6.5
7. A Promised Land by Barack Obama - 6
8. Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie - 6

I'ma go ahead and blame King + Obama for my low count this year. Both of those took me Forever to read. Not bad books by any means, but It is So Long and A Promised Land is So Dense.

Kind of a boring list honestly. Just a bunch of classics that I finally got around to, and I somehow still haven't finished The Passage trilogy or even started Dune Messiah. :funny:

Aside from those two, my next reads will hopefully be:

Devolution by Max Brooks (didn't know this was a thing until recently. WWZ is my favorite non-franchise book of all time)
Mox by Jon Moxley (i don't know his real name either)
Hail Mary by Andy Weir (meh reviews but Artemis was great)
Agent Sonya / Other stuff by Ben Macintyre (the guy who wrote The Spy and The Traitor)
Foundation by Isaac Asimov (another of those classics I never got around to)
Death in the Clouds / The ABC Murders / Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (her books are such easy reads so these 3 will probably happen)
Something by Brandon Saanderson (cause I've shamefully never read any of his books!)

Maybe add some more classics and non-fiction, but all of those are pretty different from each other , so might not need to force any change-of-pacers.

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

December was a slow reading month for me. But speaking of Sanderson, I'm almost half way through Oathbringer (all I've been reading for the last 5-6 weeks). I'd recommend the Stormlight Archive series (Way of Kings being book 1), just know that all the books (4 currently) are over 1,000 pages each. I've read the first two books and I'm half-way through book three now, and I'd say the series is on track to be considered among the greats.

I've heard some say that it's "better" to read the Mistborn series first (I haven't yet) to get introduced to Sanderson's style. But if you want something more grand, most seem to agree that Stormlight is better in most ways.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Yeah I don't wanna read a whole series just so I can read another series lol. :hahaha: If his style isn't for me I'll just stop like I did with Broken Earth. I'm just finishing a thousand pager in It though (which could have been 300 pages shorter and been better for it ... just cutting all the creepy sexualizing of children probably would have been enough) , so will probably go with some shorter ones on my list before hopping into The Way of Kings.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:00 pm
Star Trek XI

Reading A Little Life right now and liking it, though the prose is definitely literary and detailed but still very engrossing. I’ve been psyching myself up to read it for months because of how emotionally draining I’ve heard it is but I’m liking it so far

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:27 am
The Kramer

1. Death In The Clouds by Agatha Christie - 7/10

-The third Poirot book I've read. I do enjoy how each one has been similar in terms of plot, but different in terms of structure. This one actually has Hercule as a background character for most of the first half, instead telling the story from the point of view of another passenger. A smart move, as it immediately lets us know this will not be an Orient Express type of solution.

I did guess the murderer right for the first time though!

Next up: Dune Messiah I think. Have delayed far too long.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:08 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I’ve been reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell for what feels like the past year. (really it’s been like 2+ months)

It’s enjoyable and well done, but damn is it a thick chonker. It’s also quite detailed and involving, so it’s not an easy ‘pick up and read a chapter’ kind of book. I’ve got about 110 more pages out of 850. Great story but I’m ready for it to be done so I can read one of my many new books from xmas!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:16 pm
The Kramer

Saga is back! I usually wait to buy the longer six/seven issue full-arc books, but obviously need to know what happens after that crazy ending to the first half of the series! $3 seems fair too. Are comics always that cheap?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:19 am
The Kramer

Saga spoilers

Spoiler: show
When we spent the last few years saying "FUCK THE WILL" we didn't mean it literally GWENDOLYN!!!

Still, its impossible to stay mad at people when Lying Cat is around.

Lying.

Ok I'm still a still a little salty.

Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm
Hold the door!

Trying to read the Eye of the World but struggling to get into it

Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Best. Movie. Year. Ever.: How 1999 Blew Up the Big Screen - by Brian Raftery

I'm enjoying it immensely but I'm a sucker for these types of books.

While you don't have to agree with the book's premise - its a highly entertaining look back at the films (and surrounding events) that made 1999 such an epic movie year.

I recall the year vividly and it did feel at the time that it was a special year for movies.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:07 pm
Veteran

Post Re: What are you reading right now? (2022)
A book about US law (criminal, civil and torts).

Finally finished the Wheel of Time series in December 2021. yay! It ranks with GOT and LOTR on my all time fantasy list.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin *B+*
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan *B+*
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan *B+*
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan *B*
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan *B+*
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens *A-*

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell *A*
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski *A-*
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski *B+*
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
16. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

01. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, Book 6) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
02. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, Book 7) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera *A-*
04. Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle Series, Book 1) by Adam Silvera *B-*
05. Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
06. The Iliad by Homer [re-read] *A-*
07. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
08. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A*
09. Chain of Iron (The Last Hours, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
13. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas *B+*
14. Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 1) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
15. Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 2) by Leigh Bardugo *B*
16. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 3) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
17. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
19. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera *A-*
21. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera and Angie Thomas *B-*
22. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman *A*
23. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston *A-*
24. Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, Book 1) by Crystal Smith *C+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
27. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A*
28. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson *A+*

01. Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, Book 3) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
02. Circe by Madeline Miller *A-*

Slow start to 2022, and I really doubt I'll come near 2021. About to start Rhythm of War (Book 4 of The Stormlight Archive), so that'll likely go into the latter half of March or maybe April.

Or I might read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe first. It's been heavily recommended to me recently. It's been out for almost ten years now though, so not sure how I didn't hear of it until recently. Lin-Manuel Miranda even read the audiobook. And a sequel was just released? And a movie is coming out sometime late 2022?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

2. Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert - 7.9/10

-This one is a thinker, and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I assume it'll only improve with time. Going through it, one might understandably think of Messiah as "Dune: Part Three: Part One." I was thinking that this was all gonna turn out to just be an interlude between Dune and its real sequel - Children of Dune. Wrong! This is not only a complete story on its own, but it also makes sense of Denis' decision to split the first book in half, making this story the conclusion of a trilogy before moving on to Children. So why grade it so much lower than original Dune (a 10/10)? It was just kind of frustrating for most of it. I felt like Paul could have handled his enemies a lot earlier on and prevented some of the bad shit that happens later in the book. But I guess Herbert came into Dune Messiah with the idea that hero-worship is a bad thing, even if the hero themself is a good person. He certainly succeeded in projecting that theme, which is why I think this book will improve on a future reread.

Next up - Mox!

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:11 pm
The Kramer

3. Mox by Jon Moxley - 9/10

One of the best, if not the very best, autobiographies I've ever read. You hear every word in his voice inside your head. Ain't no ghost writers here. Not in Mox's book! Gives you everything you'd want too: His origin story, inside looks into his biggest moments in wrestling, the reasons he left WWE, an occasional heart-warming story about him and Renee, etc... Great stuff from page 1 to 330.

Next up .... I dunno? I was planning on The City of Mirrors, but now would rather go for something outside of a big series.

edit* A Clockwork Orange is on sale for $3.70 on amazon kindle so that wins the award for Next Up lol. Love the movie obviously, never got around to the book ... until now!

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:20 pm
The Kramer

4. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess - 4.5/10

O, my brothers, this bit of slovo raskazz was a challenge for the rassoodock of your Humble Reviewer. Because, o my brothers, this entire novel is in the first person and govoreeted exactly like this. Had I not previously viddied the sinny by ole Stanley K, your Humble Reviewer and his rassoodock may not have messeled much of this horrowshow at all. Viddy elsewhere, O my brothers, is what your Humble Reviewer would suggest.

I need something easy to clear this out of my brain, so The City of Mirrors will have to wait once more and I'll instead take the next step of adventure with Hercule Poirot in The ABC Murders.

Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:41 pm
The Kramer

5. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie - 7/10

-The extra Beta Captain Hastings returns to narrate another Hercule Poirot adventure, making sure to let us readers know just how smarter M. Poirot is than himself at every opportunity available. While he is, thus far, my least favorite way to tell a murder mystery, this book shook that off by the end with a series of exciting sequences that eventually lead to the big reveal (which I did not guess, so my record goes to 1-3.) Does the extra twist make a lot of sense? No, not really. But I am still glad she put in the effort to surprise us.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

After your various classic children's books most kids read, and then Goosebumps and Animorphs shortly thereafter, the Agatha Christie novels were some of the earliest books I ever read. After school in the 5th and 6th grades, I'd walk to the nearby county library and wait there for my parents to pick me up after they got off work.

I re-read some of them years later, my favorite as a kid and still today being And Then There Were None. Murder on the Orient Express, The A.B.C. Murders, Death on the Nile, and... The Body in the Library would round out a Top 5.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I think ABC Murders was one of my favorites, along with And Then There Were None. I'd check out The Murder of Roger Ackroyd which has a fun ending.

Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:54 pm
The Kramer

I looked up And Then There Were None and saw the orignal title ... Yikes! I mean there's a bit of casual racism in all her books, but nothing that upsetting.

I'll still continue on to Death on the Nile (in time) though.

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, racism and/or racist terms and related racist things (...) unfortunately comes with reading a lot of material from the mid/late 19th century and early/mid 20th century. Not exactly defending any of it, but it does come with the territory of the times. Of course, as said, doesn't mean it can be excused and individuals can determine how they want to handle material of those times.

It makes me recall an antique store I'd frequent in Maryland. In almost every aisle and vendor shelf, you'd find old art from paintings, jars, knickknacks, etc., with racist imagery. It's not exactly uncommon to find old things like this in any old antique store, mind you, but this store in particular had pieces in ample supply.

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I guess you're right, and I had tried to ignore it in Death in the Clouds when "doesn't like negros" was considered a postive trait in a potential romance for one of the main characters. Just the whole Ten Little ....... title on the book was extremely jarring and its hard to get past that one.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

That's fair, of course. A read an article from someone's reading experience with another Agatha Christie book called "A Caribbean Mystery" on vacation. I haven't read that one, but there were some spoken lines by one of the characters of others being a "lazy black".

EDIT: Here is the exact quote from the book:

“They’ve both worked like blacks, though that’s an odd term to use out here, for blacks don’t work themselves to death at all, so far as I can see. Was looking at a fellow shinning up a coconut tree to get his breakfast, then he goes to sleep for the rest of the day. Nice life.”

That's really rough, and this book was even published in 1964, not 20+ years prior (not to say that makes it better, obviously, just that it's pretty jarring given the Civil Rights Act was signed that same year).

They later talked about how it still hurts to read racist lines in "good" books, and how it ended up ruining what was a good book for them. And that's completely understandable. If I read a book with homophobic lines in it, I'd continue it if it was good otherwise, but it'd certainly sour the experience and I'd be quite unlikely to continue it (if it was apart of a series) or check out other works by that author.

At the same time, I think there's a space for books some may find offensive or problematic like many Christie novels. If it's hurtful for someone, no one has the right to dispute them by saying stuff like "well, it was common place back then, so it's okay." For them and someone else maybe, but not everyone, therefore it should be the individual to make the decision.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin *B+*
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan *B+*
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan *B+*
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan *B*
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan *B+*
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens *A-*

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell *A*
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski *A-*
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski *B+*
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
16. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

01. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, Book 6) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
02. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, Book 7) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera *A-*
04. Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle Series, Book 1) by Adam Silvera *B-*
05. Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
06. The Iliad by Homer [re-read] *A-*
07. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
08. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A*
09. Chain of Iron (The Last Hours, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
13. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas *B+*
14. Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 1) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
15. Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 2) by Leigh Bardugo *B*
16. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 3) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
17. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
19. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera *A-*
21. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera and Angie Thomas *B-*
22. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman *A*
23. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston *A-*
24. Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, Book 1) by Crystal Smith *C+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
27. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A*
28. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson *A+*

01. Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, Book 3) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
02. Circe by Madeline Miller *A-*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera [re-read] *A-*
04. Simon vs. the Homo Sapians Agenda by Becky Albertalli *B*
05. Dumbledore: The Life and Lies of Hogwarts's Renowned Headmaster: An Unofficial Exploration by Irvin Khaytman *B+*
06. The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
07. The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *A-*
08. The Mark of Athena (The Heroes Of Olympus, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *A-*
09. The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4) by Rick Riordan *A-*

Postponing Book 4 in The Stormlight Archive for a while (thinking more mid/late summer) allowed me to read quite a few books over the past 2+ months. Going from three consecutive ~1,000(+) page tomes to more standard ~300-500 page novels gives a false sense of a being speed reader when you finish them.

Plan to begin the final book in The Heroes of Olympus next week, then might begin The Trials of Apollo pentalogy after that, or might take a small break from Riordan (although I did buy Daughter of the Deep on sale today!). Also have Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe to read still, too.

Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Happy reading, everyone!! I've been SO behind on my reading because we are opening up our own bookstore. But I'm in the middle of reading Carrie Soto Was Here, Taylor Jenkins Reed's new book and it's great!

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

movies35 wrote:
Happy reading, everyone!! I've been SO behind on my reading because we are opening up our own bookstore. But I'm in the middle of reading Carrie Soto Was Here, Taylor Jenkins Reed's new book and it's great!

Opening your own bookstore - fantastic! Hope it does well. Please share more if you ever feel like it.

Have always loved bookstores having frequented second hand book stores since I was about 11 (in search of old Mad magazines at the time). Browsing a good bookstore is still one of life's great pleasures.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun May 01, 2022 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next