Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Books You've Read in 2019 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Books You've Read in 2019
lolomg

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:12 pm
The Kramer

You would probably enjoy them Zwack. The anti-religious stuff is overblown. It’s more about how people can abuse the power given to them by religion.

And if you don’t wanna read it anyways.

Spoiler: show
The real villain is the Metatron, who has overthrown and imprisoned the real God.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:14 pm
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Did you like Wise Man’s Fear? I loved Name of the Wind, and was really looking forward to it (I even bought vs getting from library) but felt that Fear was mostly an 800 page chore where nothing at all really happened.

I'd consider The Name of the Wind to be one of my favorite books ever, and one of the best books I've ever read. The Wise Man's Fear is great. I wouldn't call it better, exactly, but it's certainly worth checking out, especially if you loved the first book.

And I really, really want Rothfuss to finish the series. I'm not one of those fans that berate an author for taking long periods between releases (soon to be 10-years). And I'm not one of those fans that get annoyed, or angered, by an author going to seemingly every festival or convention possible, and appearing on countless live-streams or podcasts "instead of writing." I'm just worried he won't finish it, or that it'll end up being a "disappointing" conclusion.
Oh I have read it that's what I meant. I still really liked Rothfuss' writing style, and get that he was doing a road trip novel, but I dunno it just didn't work as well for me.

Name of the Wind is excellent though.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

His Dark Materials is a good series. I haven't watch the HBO series yet, but I've heard it's good and has been following the book(s) more closely. So, if anyone here has been enjoying the HBO series, I'd certainly recommend reading the books.

I bought the omnibus edition back when it was released before the film adaptation of the first novel, and it was up there as one of my favorite book series for a long time. I haven't read it in 10 or 11-years though, so I'll probably re-read it sometime next year.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:19 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Corpse wrote:
Riggs wrote:
1. Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, Elena Ferrante
2. Fall of Giants, Ken Follett
3. The Kindly Ones, Jonathan Littell
4. The Godfather, Mario Puzo
5. The Collini Case, Ferdinand von Schirach
6. Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens
7. My Antonia, Willa Cather

Did you enjoy Where the Crawdads Sing?

Sales continue to be incredible, and it's currently discounted on Amazon, so I've considered buying it this month. (Or asking for it as a gift, since it's pretty cheap right now.)

I did enjoy it but I also think it's getting overpraised. Just one of the books that really caught on but doesn't fully manage to justify the hype.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I went ahead and bought it. I still prefer to buy my books from actual book retailers, but Amazon's price on this one was still 40% less than the cheapest option I could find (40% off retail at BAM!). I'm actually curious to know where and how people buy their books these days, so I'm going to start a thread on it in a few.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The Bible
Watchmen

I removed non productivity apps from my phone, so hopefully I'll read a lot more this year. I used to read a ton and I barley have in the last few years.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Those two books are both eerily similar.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 am
The Kramer

Aiming for at least 12 this year.

1. Based On A True Story by Norm MacDonald - B+
2. Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick - B+
3. Dune by Frank Herbert - A

Dune was freakin awesome. The movie turned me off from it for so long, but it was definitely worth the wait. It's very Thronesy for anyone who is looking for that fix. I watched the movie the day after finishing the book and it still sucks though.

I'm reading Burt Reynolds biography now and will go with a plague themed thriller in either Doomsday Book or Station Eleven afterwards.

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 pm
The Kramer

Well Rona has made my original goal of 12 seem kinda small now. Let's go for 20!

3. Dune by Frank Herbert - A
4. But Enough About Me by Burt Reynolds - B-
5. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - B

Graphic Novels:

1. Saga Vol. 7, Vol. 8 and Vol. 9 by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples - A
2. The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - A-

Anyone wanna recommend another DC book while I still have the app? Only looking for limited series and I've already read all the Jeph Loeb ones like The Long Halloween.

Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]

04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.)
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read]
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read]
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.)
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read]
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass

Currently reading (soon to be reading): Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass, The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, Book 4) by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Tue May 19, 2020 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Dune was freakin awesome. The movie turned me off from it for so long, but it was definitely worth the wait. It's very Thronesy for anyone who is looking for that fix. I watched the movie the day after finishing the book and it still sucks though.

I'm about halway through with Dune now and I like it a lot so far. Excited to see where the story goes.

The movie is going to be SPECTACULAR.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]

04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.)
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read]
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read]
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.)
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read]
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan

Currently reading/soon to be reading: The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3), Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass, The Tower of the Swallow (The Witcher, Book 4) by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:43 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

3. Dune by Frank Herbert - A+
6. The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre - A
7. The Passage by Justin Cronin - A
8. Talking To Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell - A-
9. Artemis by Andy Weir - B+
10. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCartner - B

Graphic Novels:

The Passage is very cool, making a zombie/plague book with vampires. Highly recommend especially in these times. Will read the sequel before year’s end but there’s so much else to read too!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 am
We had our time together

The second book is the best one, imo. Also one of the best reading experiences I've had. The third one was good, but left me more disapointed than satisfied.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

3. Dune by Frank Herbert - A+
6. The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War by Ben Macintyre - A
7. The Passage by Justin Cronin - A
8. Talking To Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell - A-
9. Artemis by Andy Weir - B+
10. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCartner - B
11. Less by Andrew Sean Greer - B-
12. Genghis Khan and the Makings of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford - B

Graphic Novels:

3. My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris - B-

These three were good enough to finish, but were very slow reads. I'm definitely not gonna hit 20 now. :(

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Hold the door!

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Little Women
Where the Crawdads Sing
When People Are Big and God is Small
Watchmen
The Bible

Currently reading Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:34 pm
Extraordinary

This was the closest I could find to a book thread here but what books / audiobooks have you been reading this year that you'd recommend?

Big no on Spare, was really a tough read.

Really enjoyed Dave Grohl's biography though!

Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

This thread ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87084&p=2325312#p2325312 ) ended up becoming the general book thread.

Spare was massive out of the gate but floundered pretty quick. Memoirs can often fade quickly (relative to their sizable debuts), as they're best to pick up and read early before spoilers are everywhere, but I get the impression WOM among readers was fairly poor for Spare looking at how it dropped off. Somewhat "disappointing" ongoing total sales given its first week sales. Think most outside of the first few weeks of release were fine just asking for or looking up what was in the book versus reading it themselves.

The Britney Spears memoir was released this week. This will be another interesting one to see the sales of (publisher reported 400,000 preorders/first day sales, unclear if US/CA or WW) and how readers respond to it. Notably, she didn't do a book tour or interviews for it, which could drive more sales earlier than normal since not too much has been revealed about it.

I can share the best selling books of the year (like top 25/30) so far if you're interested. Not every top selling book is "good", but it's a good place to start looking for something to check out.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That would be great! It seems there are a flood of biographies that have come out but lots of noise and would love to see which ones are resonating more.

Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

There have been a many in the past couple years. Makes me wonder if the pandemic created an interest among celebs and the like to get into them. Trump's White House also spawned a huge amount of books, even this year is still seeing them.

And romance has always been a popular genre, but it's far and away the top genre in fiction now and has been for a few years. TikTok has had a huge positive impact on the genre (books in general, but primarily romance). If a book gains traction on #BookTok, it's going to see impressive sales of some degree. Bookstores have #BookTok dedicated sections now.

I've tracked book sales for a while now (work in hiring for B&N) and have access to the Publishers Weekly sales chart and historical archives. I'll post the top 20/25 or so books from the past few years tomorrow.

Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Appreciate that. Feel free to take your time I have about a book backlog now but looking for others.

Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2