Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 going to New York in a few weeks... 
Extraordinary

Post going to New York in a few weeks...
I've been but I think this is the first time I'm actually gonna try and do some 'tourist'y stuff. For those of you who've been where should I go, eat, etc.? I'm gonna be there for less than 4 days and really want to make the trip worthwhile.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: going to New York in a few weeks...
publicenemy#1 wrote:
I've been but I think this is the first time I'm actually gonna try and do some 'tourist'y stuff. For those of you who've been where should I go, eat, etc.? I'm gonna be there for less than 4 days and really want to make the trip worthwhile.

Bring lots of $$$$$$. There is soooooooooooooo much great shopping, but things are pretty expensive. You are going to want everything you see.

Don't go to the top of the Empire State Building. It's not worth the time or money.

Don't see the Lion King or Phantom of the Opera.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:00 pm
now we know

Everyone thinks that their first Empire State Building experience will be like Sleepless in Seattle.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I really really want to go to NYC, maybe in a year or two I'll have a chance. Anyone know any good affordable hotels/motels in Manhattan?

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:01 pm
On autopilot for the summer

There is literally so much to do you'll need to be more specific.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:02 pm
Extraordinary

matatonio wrote:
I really really want to go to NYC, maybe in a year or two I'll have a chance. Anyone know any good affordable hotels/motels in Manhattan?

:funny:

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

zwackerm wrote:
publicenemy#1 wrote:

Don't go to the top of the Empire State Building. It's not worth the time or money.

Don't see the Lion King .

I did both and slept through half of TLK (mainly jet lag) and agree the ESB isn't all its cracked up to be due to massive queues and security and the view at night isn't all that great.

We went up to the top of "The Rock" in the day and it was awesome.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:55 pm
Full Fledged Member

I would recommend finding a place through Airbnb. All of the hotels will be outrageous.

Things to do:

The High Line - a 1.5 mile aerial greenway on the West Side of Manhattan. It's built on an elevated section of disused railroad and has beautiful/unique views of the city. You can also hit up the Chelsea Market which is near the start of the High Line.

Stone Street - a stretch of cobblestone street in the Financial District that's closed to traffic and lined with bars and restaurants. Benches are set up in the street so you can dine outside.

9/11 Museum/Freedom Tower - The top of the tower just opened to visitors. Haven't been up yet but I've heard the views are impressive. The museum is very well done and probably the best "memorial museum" I've ever been to.

Central Park - Sheep Meadow and The Ramble are my favorite sections.

If you have time I would take the East River Ferry over to DUMBO and walk around Brooklyn Bridge Park. Then walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Walking through Chinatown is always fun. I would also recommend visiting St. Mark's Place in the East Village. It's the three blocks of East 8th Street that run from Astor Place to Tompkins Square Park and it's lined with quirky shops and great food.

Places to eat:
The Meatball Shop
Miss Lily's
Halal Guys
Five Tacos
The Smith
Jacob's Pickles
Cornelia Street Cafe
The Frying Pan
The Cannibal

Last edited by Sterling on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 pm
Teh Mexican

Groucho wrote:
matatonio wrote:

What? I know Manhattan is a very expensive place, I meant affordable by NYCs standards...

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:55 pm
Hold the door!

I also went to one of those restaurants where the waiters and waitresses sing Showtunes while you eat-Ellen's stardust I think it was. The food wasn't that good and was way overpriced. Same with Bubba gumps. It was cool to go to a themed restaurant like that, but the food was meh. Food quality and price is more important than novelty things like that.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 pm
Extraordinary

Sterling wrote:
I would recommend finding a place through Airbnb. All of the hotels will be outrageous.

Things to do:

The High Line - a 1.5 mile aerial greenway on the West Side of Manhattan. It's built on an elevated section of disused railroad and has beautiful/unique views of the city. You can also hit up the Chelsea Market which is near the start of the High Line.

Stone Street - a stretch of cobblestone street in the Financial District that's closed to traffic and lined with bars and restaurants. Benches are set up in the street so you can dine outside.

9/11 Museum/Freedom Tower - The top of the tower just opened to visitors. Haven't been up yet but I've heard the views are impressive. The museum is very well done and probably the best "memorial museum" I've ever been too.

Central Park - Sheep Meadow and The Ramble are my favorite sections.

If you have time I would take the East River Ferry over to DUMBO and walk around Brooklyn Bridge Park. Then walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Walking through Chinatown is always fun. I would also recommend visiting St. Mark's Place in the East Village. It's the three blocks of East 8th Street that run from Astor Place to Tompkins Square Park and it's lined with quirky shops and great food.

Places to eat:
The Meatball Shop
Miss Lily's
Halal Guys
Five Tacos
The Smith
Jacob's Pickles
Cornelia Street Cafe
The Frying Pan
The Cannibal

Thank you so much :D

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:04 am
Full Fledged Member

matatonio wrote:
Groucho wrote:
matatonio wrote:

What? I know Manhattan is a very expensive place, I meant affordable by NYCs standards...

The Jane Hotel is a good option for budget travelers who don't plan on being in the hotel often. The rooms are very small (comparable to a cruise ship cabin) and the bathrooms are shared by other guests on the floor (hostel style). The rates are very reasonable by NYC standards and it's located in the trendy West Village. Plus they offer complimentary bicycles to all guests.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 am
You must have big rats

Groucho wrote:
matatonio wrote:

My reaction as well :funny:

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Honestly Times Square is the worst part of the city - the food isn't very good, it's a total overpriced tourist trap and really only worth going to in order to say you went and also if you're going to a Broadway show.

If you're going to see a show I'd avoid Wicked, The Lion King, Mamma Mia, etc. and go to something that isn't touring and is unique to NYC right now. The best thing on stage at the moment is Hamilton though it's also the hardest ticket to get in the city. Fun Home, Gentleman's Guide To Love and Murder and Hand to God are all great - you can get tickets through TKTS or lottery which are the typical ways but also for decently priced seats you can try the TodayTix app which I've heard great things about.

Stone Street and Frying Pan are great places for summer as well as the Biergarten at the Standard High Line in the Meatpacking District.

I'm partial to the East and West Village in terms of nightlife and things to do but that's partially because I've lived down here for a while. There are a ton of great and affordable places and the bar scene definitely isn't as touristy. 2nd and 3rd Avenue in particular are almost back to back bars and restaurants. Motorino and Pala are amazing pizza places. I also love Maysville in the Gramercy Park area. Dos Toros is a great cheap Mexican place in Union Square that also has a few other locations, Otto's Tacos is also great for that on 2nd and 9th.

Other favorite restaurants:

Narcissa
Bareburger
ABC Kitchen
Craftbar
Barbacon
Belgian Beer Cafe in NoMad
Hill Country
Baohaus
Becco
Etcetera Etcetera
All the places inside Eataly

The Soho area has basically every store you can think of but it can be super touristy and crowded - particularly on Sundays.

The Times Square movie theaters are huge but are also awful and poorly maintained, particularly the AMC Empire. The Regal is a bit nicer. The Angelika and Landmark Sunshine are cool downtown and I also frequent the Regal in Union Square. The AMC Lincoln Square up by Lincoln Center has the one true IMAX screen in the city and it's huge which is pretty cool.

Will try to think of anything else. I've lived here almost ten years so happy to answer any questions :)

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 am
Profile YIM
now we know

Go to a place called Mindy's. She does the best blowjobs. And if you're gay, her husband does an awesome rim job.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

matatonio wrote:
Groucho wrote:
matatonio wrote:

I understand. Couldn't help but laugh at first though. Having lived there for years, I found that there is nothing "affordable" in NYC. :mer:

I now live about 80 miles away. I bought a big house with a pond and a creek and 4 acres for what I would have paid for a small cramped apartment in New York. Then again, I can't walk out my door and go see a Broadway show with all the money I've saved either, so there's an exchange there. (If I were insanely rich and could buy a huge penthouse in Manhattan, I'd move back.)

To answer your question about hotels though, I'm sorry; I don't know.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Sterling wrote:
matatonio wrote:
Groucho wrote:
matatonio wrote:

The Jane Hotel is a good option for budget travelers who don't plan on being in the hotel often. The rooms are very small (comparable to a cruise ship cabin) and the bathrooms are shared by other guests on the floor (hostel style). The rates are very reasonable by NYC standards and it's located in the trendy West Village. Plus they offer complimentary bicycles to all guests.

Thanks. The shared bathroom won't sit well with my fiance :P.
Like a month or two ago i searched for quite a few places at good prices (Aloft, The Pod, Quality Inn, Days Inn), if I remember correctly I believe it was around 170-200 Dlls per night, that I found acceptable by NYCs standards, the only problem for quite a few were the reviews.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:09 pm
Sbil

matatonio wrote:
Anyone know any good affordable hotels/motels in Manhattan?

Those do not exist.

PE#1, I would suggest you spend only a brief amount of time in Times Square, and only if you've never been there before (just to cross it off your bucket list). It's an anxiety-inducing tourist hole.

Last edited by Libs on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 pm
Superfreak

My favorite place in the world.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:23 pm
Forum General

Anyone saying you can't find an affordable hotel in NYC is fooling themselves. I go quite often and the last time I stayed over for 4 days (I do a lot of day trips there) I ended up paying, I believe $132 for a 3 and a half star hotel in the middle of Times Square. Just constantly keep checking Hotwire.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

You can find deals everywhere.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Don't shop. Just eat.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 am
College Boy T

Manhattan hotels have largely settled in price. Hyatts, Marriotts, and Kimptons can be found for under $350 or so a night. Expensive, but other cities (esp SF) are worse now

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 am
Keeping it Light

I had a very fun time at Times Square, it just looks so awesomely recognizable, and it's just awesome to be in the midst of it. What I also enjoyed, just this guy coming up to, I knew he was "begging" for something, but he at least made an effort for it, cracking some jokes that just made me LOL so I gave him a buck and he seemed happy too.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Times Square is cool for like an hour max if you've never been to NYC before. After that it's borderline excruciating to deal with and to be honest there's really nothing there aside from shitty chain restaurants and bad, overpriced shopping. If I go there now it's almost exclusively for work stuff/theatre.

Also, the horrific people in knockoff costumes are terrifying :P The way "Kimmy Schmidt" addressed this is almost spot on ;)

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next