Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Jim Carrey to Emma Stone Video 

Reaction?
Hilarious 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Sad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Creepy 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Sincere/Ballsy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
WTF? 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 11

Jim Carrey to Emma Stone Video 
Deshi Basara

Post Jim Carrey to Emma Stone Video
There seems to be a tremendous amount of confusion surrounding this video. Your take?

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 pm
Deshi Basara

Post Re: Jim Carrey to Emma Stone Video
The clue that it is probably a joke is the chin quivering at the end.

It would be quite a risk to assume that everyone would merely think it a joke if it really weren't one.

Still, there's not a lot of context to be found to get the joke, and I didn't find myself laughing throughout, funny as I find Carrey to be generally. I've seen his dramatic work, most of which is quite good, and which gives this a puzzling edge.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:57 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Proud Ryu wrote:
There seems to be a tremendous amount of confusion surrounding this video. Your take?

I'd say the quivering of his chin at the end makes it look like he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, a midlife crisis of sorts.. Guy hasn't had a hit in god knows how long and is desperate sounding and this video is just so random out of nowhere.. I voted WTF??

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Yeah, I love Jim - always have - but as much as I want this to be classic Jim hilarious, to me it just doesn't make it there. I need more context I guess.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Unless there is more to the story, I think it's a big ball of creepy truth wrapped in a joke. This way he can put the truth out there, and deflect it at the same time.

But, either way, I see a lot of parody videos (or auto-tuning) incoming.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:05 am
Forum General

I agree with TonyMontana that there's some truth in it and that makes it creepy as fuck.

And, really, it's not in the least bit funny, I know we don't know Carrey but has he even been in a movie with Stone, have they ever even spoken or acknowledged each other more than the customary greeting? This is just on all levels of weird.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I'd like to see her reaction to this video.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

They are of adult age. Besides whats the difference between this and that one marine who was begging to have a date with Mila Kunis except for the age difference for Carrey?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I enjoyed this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm
Where will you be?

"...and every day, for the rest of your life, you would thank god that I was the appropriate age for you."

Then he tells her how it takes him longer than it used to take a piss. This is clearly a joke, perhaps in response to creepy videos Emma Stone or Jim Carrey or a million other people receive. Maybe it isn't funny because it's not in a format we immediately recognize as a conduit for humor?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 pm
Deshi Basara

An in-joke like that would make a lot of sense and would make it very funny - but if you were Carrey you'd think you'd want to advertise that fact pretty heavily to provide context. Fact is, now scores of people think he is or may be creepy or otherwise depressed and lonely. Instead of providing the context he says more puzzling things like 'the funniest part is that it's all true' and 'people ask me if I'm being serious or funny - to which I answer "yes"'. That doesn't help. I'm more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt though.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:38 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Or maybe hes trying to pull an Andy Kaufman on people. Not many people get his bizarre antics back then

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

El Murato wrote:
They are of adult age. Besides whats the difference between this and that one marine who was begging to have a date with Mila Kunis except for the age difference for Carrey?

If Jim Carey really likes Emma Stone, he is of stature where he could easily have a non-public outlet to express that. The marine would have almost no other option but a public plea. And, there is definitely a different dynamic when comparing the two scenarios.

For example, me expressing my love for Kate Beckinsale via youtube (a fan to celebrity relation) may be a little strange, but I'd say it's less strange then me (at my advanced age) making a video expressing my love for an 18 year old high school student who I don't personally know. The latter hypothetical is a more "equal" dynamic in stature, and we're both technically adults, but that would definitely be a lot more creepy in my book, even if I wrapped it up in a joke. There is a difference.

I think the big problem with it is, if a joke... it just wasn't that funny. If truthful... how sad is it that Jim Carrey at 49 has to resort to fan like YouTube's to get a lady? If he's trying to do Kaufman... it's really weak. Kaufman's stuff was so much more involved, deep, and over the top. So, I'm confused as to any level that this works.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 am
Cream of the Crop

TonyMontana wrote:
But, either way, I see a lot of parody videos (or auto-tuning) incoming.

HA! OMG, yes. I hadn't even thought of auto-tuning. I'm gonna be stalking YouTube the next few days, waitin' for Schmoyoho to put up an auto-tune of this, as is inevitable.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I find it way more interesting as an artistic piece (because yes, everything can be art) without Carrey mugging it up to easily assure the viewer that this is obviously fake. He's obviously succeeded at being creepy in his sad flirtations, any by taking himself seriously it's way more disturbing and off-putting.

I like to imagine that this is artistic commentary on vlogging, the removal of the space between the public and the private, and the artificiality of digital interactions. It doesn't take much to imagine this as not just a weird in-joke that was foolishly made public, but social satire that's effective because it's making folks uncomfortable.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 pm
Teh Mexican

Joke or not, that was uncomfortable and awkward. Imagine how she felt hehe :/

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 pm
Superman: The Movie

Listen to the words he's actually saying.

"Chubby little freckled faced kids."

"We'd go camping and play Yahtzee."

"Tell ghost stories by the fire."

"And for the rest of your life you'd thank God that I'm the appropriate age for you."

If someone performed this sketch (which is what it is) on SNL it'd get a bunch of laughs. I think MovieDude hit it right on the head. And if it wasn't an in-joke, why would Emma Stone have posted it on her Youtube channel?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

Or it could serve as a counterpoint to all of the violence and troubles that media presents to grab our attention, and yet we are baffled by statements of affection.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This is hilarious guys. Its an obvious spoof of the videos she has gotten lately, especially from younger fans professing there love. They are having fun. I just think it's hilarious that she got Carrey to go in on it, I wonder if they are doing a movie together soon.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm
Wall-E

You wanna read something funny?
About three months ago or so, in and among this browbeat, nondescript 103 unit apartment complex that my family continues to call "home", in the low-rent suburbs of Los Angeles, approximately seven miles north of Universal City, there was this young twenty-something redhead girl who was hanging out among the middle aged Mamasitas and other regular-looking people who reside here.
There aren't too many people with looks on display around these parts, so anyone with any kind of a face pretty much stands out. It doesn't matter anyhow.
We do have local folks in the industry.

I just checked the IMDB pictures for Emma Stone and I swear, at that time she was running around here, smoking and hanging with a very-young looking...

Thank you Jim. :)

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]