Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 91  Next
 Last game you played? 

Which is your favorite Mario game?
Super Mario Bros 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario Bros 3 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario World 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario 64 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario RPG 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Mario Kart 64 (or others) 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Mario Party (or others) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paper Mario (original or Thousand Year Door) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Sunshine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario Kart: Double Dash 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Odyssey 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Last game you played? 
The Kramer

Post Re: Last game you played?
Great reviews for Tunic. Looks right up my alley and already on game pass.

But it'll have to wait just like everything else. 44 hours into Elden Ring and I'm still finding new shit in the beginning area lol. Though I have also done a fair share of exploring Caelid and Numeria.

Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Corpse wrote:

Disappointed Totoro wasn't behind that wall

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:32 pm
The Kramer

I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see that. :funny:

Did you get the Booster Pass for Mario Kart?

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Not yet. I probably will before the next wave though. How does this impact online, by the way? Does it group people with the pass together?

Almost 20 hours into Triangle Strategy. Tricky decision last chapter where both decisions seemed level in terms of for or against taking. You can work the decision in your favor by trying to persuade the party (your main party determines the decision by vote) if you've unlocked certain information (responses), but it's not guaranteed you get the decision you want from them. For the two major decisions so far, they voted for the path I barely preferred (barely in the last one, 4:3), but your answers to their questions on why they should vote one way or another is important. (And I'm NOT going to look up how to make 100% everyone votes how you want them to.)

You can see where your path takes a different turn in the menu (mine has branched off twice now, after Ch. 3 and Ch. 7 or 8), so I wonder how different each path is from the other? Adds to the replay value if the paths differ enough throughout the game. I think (almost certain) these paths also determine who will join your roster too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Just came across an upcoming game (holiday 2022) called Sea of Stars. Unless reviews are poor, looks likely to be a must-buy for me.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Sea of Stars does look pretty good and reminds me that I need to finally play Cosmic Star Heroine.

85 for Kirby is pretty good. I'll pick it up over the summer sometime.

I finally took down my greatest nemisis (so far) in Elden Ring, the Fallingstar Beast!

Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good for Kirby. The husband is more interested in it than I am, so he'll probably get it soon-ish. I still want to play it of course.

So... Any time I go to any Walmart or Target, I check the gaming aisles out for potential sales. Well, I *could* have gotten Paper Mario: The Origami King for FREE today at Walmart.

We noticed a game case on the floor in the Switch aisle and picked it up. It was Paper Mario and the case didn't have any shrink wrap or anything. Expecting the game to be stolen, I opened the case and it was STILL INSIDE!

It was really tempting... but it also felt like a trap, and my conscious wouldn't let me in the end so I put it back on the floor (no employee in sight).

I don't know how this happened, but an employee must have been involved in some way. I'm wondering if a friend of an employee was suppose to come by for it...

What would you (any of you) have done?

Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

:funny:

Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

Just can’t get into these subscription based games

Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:39 pm
The Kramer

Especially for a game that has been "free" for 9 years lol.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I was interested in this when it was announced last year, maybe 2020? I know it got a fairly long delay, but this absolutely sells it for me.

I played all of the Harry Potter games (except for Deathly Hallows), but like most games based on movies in the 2000s, they were largely cash-grabs and lacking in most ways. Now, the Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince video games were pretty good as it allowed you to, mostly, openly explore Hogwarts and the grounds, but there wasn't much (or anything) to do between story chapters. And the combat was decent in those as well.

This looks like a somewhat open-world adventure with all sorts of things to do besides following the main story. And the dueling/combat looks pretty good too. It's also good that they set this well before the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts events.

Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Playstation Game Pass is ... something I guess. People who want the archived library will be happy. As well as people who didn't already buy Miles Morales and Returnal.

I dunno though. I knew we weren't gonna get huge games like Horizon Forbidden West, but I was hoping for their smaller titles to pop up quickly like Kena or Solar Ash. I feel like I'm probably better off just waiting on a sale for those than spending $20 a month for the full service. I don't wanna feel obligated to play something to "justify the value" when my backlog is already massive (and with no end in sight for Elden Ring, it will only continue to grow.)

Hogwarts Legacy looks good, but I'm not sold on it yet. It's very much in the Pokemon Arceus tier of "hope for the best, expect the worst." (Though Arceus did get pretty good reviews.) One thing I did not understand about dueling - the kid lifts him up in the air with Levicorpus, has his opponent beat, then shoots like seven more offensive spells at him. Why??? :funny: :funny:

Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to Spring 2023! But... I'm okay with that since 2022 is SO stacked. October-December is likely to have (or already has): Pokémon S/V, Starfield, Bayonetta 3, GoW: Ragnarok, Hogwarts Legacy, Midnight Suns, Gotham Knights, and who knows what other major titles I'm forgetting. I'd add Mario + Rabbids 2, but I'm hoping that'll still get released in late-Summer/early-Fall. And there are all the smaller titles like Sea of Stars I'm very interested in. Jesus...

The PlayStation pass is pretty expensive. Like you said, it's probably cool with some people, but it doesn't seem to appeal to a large group. But hey, $20/month from millions of gamers still. They'll be happy, and if it does stagger with subscriptions, then I wouldn't be surprised if they add to it a bit.

To answer your question: If you take the dark path (or whatever leads to you learning or using Avada Kedavra), you can win with one spell. :|

Also, interesting note: In the Wizarding World (at least up to the time when Harry is attending Hogwarts), it's not illegal to use Unforgivable Curses on magical creatures like the goblins in this game... They're only "unforgivable" (illegal) to use on human beings (wizards, witches, and muggles).

Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

All the cool games come out in Spring now.

Quote I read today: "The final stretch of Elden Ring makes the first 100 hours feel like a vacation." :funny:

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:48 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

How many hours have you played in your first full month? I don't think you tend to play up to or over 100 hour games a lot, so pretty curious.

I think I'm getting close to the end of Triangle Strategy. Well, maybe. At least 3/4ths of the way if I had to guess. Up to 35 hours now. A couple chapters ago (12 or 13, I forget), I actually got a Game Over screen because I wasn't able to find an item that was vital to the story when exploring one of the areas! I managed to miss some required dialogue that triggered an interaction that made the item available. It wasn't in a battle or anything. Really surprised me because everyone dies when I ended the exploration part of the chapter. The End came on screen after the narration, then Game Over. So, I had to go back to the most recent save point before that.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:43 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Funny you should ask, because after my last session it is ... 69 hours ... hehe ... Nice. I've felled somewhere around 40 bosses so far but am just hitting the third that gets a cut scene before the fight (Renalla, the Queen of Night.) I'm bouncing all over the map.

How does Triangle compare to Fire Emblem? Obviously they don't have the social simulator, but is there anything to do during the downtime other than watch the story?

Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:23 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Whelp, don't think you can play another minute of Elden Ring now!

If you like Fire Emblem (which I know you do), I can't imagine you not liking Triangle Strategy. It's more story-driven (not to say the FB games aren't, they typically are, but TS is VERY story-driven), and ups the need for strategy involved in the battles.

Usually in FB, there'd be a couple/few characters who could steamroll over most enemies with little more than force at some point in the story. That's definitely not the case with my experience in TS. A wrong move can result in the character dying (for that battle, there's no permadeath) and/or make the overall battle exponentially more difficult. And in general, TS is more challenging than FB. Many squares can be frozen, set aflame, dampened (where lightning attacks travel through them), etc. And these squares can also be altered by spells too (e.g. a frozen square will become damp if a fire attack hits it). The battle maps can also be many levels high (I've had some that are 15+ levels high) where height plays a major role (archers have increased range when higher, and attacks in general are stronger if you're attacking from high ground); they're not mostly flat.

All the characters play differently and have unique abilities. FB can sometimes have characters that are very similar in playstyle/purpose.

The biggest difference is the turn order. Individual character turn order (yours and your opponents move all together) is determined by that character's speed, and that speed can be increased/decreased in many different ways too (items, attacks, etc.), including what that character does that turn (if they move, if they attack or use a command, etc.). So, you need to keep an eye on who goes next and perhaps who goes 10 or 15 turns from now (you can see the next...8? or so characters that move on screen, but you can also hover over any character to see their number in the current turn order).

So... a lot more dialogue than Fire Emblem (which is already pretty dialogue heavy), more challenging, and more tactics and strategy involved. The means of promoting classes and the skill trees for each character is also a little more in-depth than FB.

Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Do you (Flava'd) or anyone still have your GameCube games? Their value has steadily increased over time, but they really started to go up around the start of the pandemic and have remained very high.

Pretty much all the big first-party games are near or above their original $60 price, some much more so (near $100 or up to $150). This includes loose (disc-only) prices, and CIB copies are all mostly up near the $100 mark or much higher. And even random, or perhaps obscure games like the SpongeBob games, are going for $30, $40, or more.

Looking at pricecharting.com, the average price of a GameCube game ($31) is above the N64 now just behind the SNES (not counting NES because a few games for it are outrageous and skew it higher, I think). It's actually pretty rare to see any GameCube game going for under $15/20 loose.

Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:00 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Might still have some somewhere but I doubt they are in good enough condition to sell. Same with N64. I've always (perhaps foolishy) sold my games whenever I was ready for something new. Up until the digital era that is. Now I pretty much only buy/trade switch games.

I also don't get the obsession with old games when there are so many good new ones, but I guess it's more of a collection thing? Or just using spare cash to recreate childhood?

Also, forgot to mention, but you've sold me on Triangle Prophecy. Will be a nice way to transition from Elden Ring (88 hrs and counting) back to not-Elden Ring games since it is so much different. Was hoping it'd be in the new Target B2G1 sale but nope (neither is Horizon, Arceus or Kirby.) Ah well, I feel like I still have atleast two more weeks of Elden Ringing left so maybe it'll pop up for the next one!

Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:10 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Awesome. Early advice: Utilize the encampment often and don't worry much about saving up your money. Spend most of it on held items, and on the reagents you need to unlock stat boosts for your units. And you can partake in the mock battles (good ways to level up characters falling behind and to learn how they play) there as many times as you want if you're feeling under-leveled and/or need some extra money.

If you're not at the recommended level of the main story battles, you'll be in for a real struggle. Even having your units a level or two higher (which is hard to achieve) is still decently challenging. You get very little exp. when fighting/killing enemies below your level, so it's very hard to get over-leveled (almost impossible from my experience). Which I appreciate! This is a "complaint" (becoming too easy due to over-leveling) I have with Fire Emblem sometimes.

Just know that it can be pretty slow at times (a lot of times, really). You can go full 15-20 minute periods of just dialogue or exploration before the battle of each story chapter. If you're not into the story (which I'm enjoying, personally), I can see where it can drag for some gamers. But it's very important to talk to everyone / explore everything, so try not avoid speeding things up. (I got that Game Over screen because I missed a conversation that revealed vital info remember.)

Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

A few gamers who preordered / preloaded the Advance Wars reboot game back in March were able to unlock it today. It was delayed due to the war in Ukraine (still no release date), but it seems Nintendo forgot (???) to disable or push back the preload launch...

So, now all these people (well, doesn't seem to be too many people) are playing with airplane mode on so Nintendo doesn't remove it from their systems.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Did not expect to see any Kingdom Hearts 4 news today. Square is probably fast tracking it just so they can do an Avatar world. :funny:

Funny about the Advanced Wars thing. Nintendo should just let them keep it to build hype for the game while it is delayed.

Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wasn't expecting Kingdom Hearts 4 this generation. I haven't watched the trailer yet. Seeing some say there were potential hints at Star Wars though (namely what appears to be an AT-ST foot being visible in the very Endor-looking footage). Could be something announced on May 4th? A Kingdom Hearts branching outside Disney worlds to Star Wars and even Marvel would be something. The stills I've seen do look more

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

100 hours in Elden Ring! While I admit I was feeling some weariness in the last few days, the defeat of Ryker, the Blasphemous God-Devouring Serpent has fully re-envigorated me and now I'm ready for another 100! I'm right outside the Capital City, which I think is the final big area of the game ... but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there's several more haha. I know there's still alot more in the underground area that I haven't found yet.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 91  Next