Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 91  Next
 Last game you played? 

Which is your favorite Mario game?
Super Mario Bros 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario Bros 3 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Super Mario World 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario 64 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario RPG 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Mario Kart 64 (or others) 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Mario Party (or others) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paper Mario (original or Thousand Year Door) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Sunshine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mario Kart: Double Dash 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario Odyssey 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Last game you played? 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Last game you played?
Buy Immortals Fenyx Rising before the sale ends! I went for it and I'm loving it. It's more than exceeding expectations. As a big fan of Breath of the Wild, I'm pretty confident you'll enjoy it. I don't know how this one didn't catch my immediate interest when it was released.

A few things:

-A little more story-driven (which is quite humorous), but you're largely free to go anywhere after the prologue. I say "largely" because some areas are hard to reach without some stamina upgrades (or a lot of potions) and a particular item, but like BOTW where upgrading your stamina bar and stuff, areas become easier to reach.

-I'm only in the first big area after the prologue, but the exploration has been great so far. There are chests, items used to upgrade your abilities, rifts (like the Shrines in BOTW, these have puzzles to solve--don't miss the chests!), enemies, different challenges, and more in ample amounts on the map so far.

-I'm early into the game as mentioned, but I've seen quite a variety of enemies. I can name seven "common" enemies you see often, and four "uncommon/rare" enemies for eleven unique enemies so far.

-The combat is simple, yet in-depth. You can mostly get buy with hack-and-slashing your way with most enemies, but there are mechanics and abilities that are pretty easy to use that make combat more interesting (and helpful with harder enemies). Very small learning curve, unlike The Witcher, for example. The controls are very intuitive, and you'll catch on quick I imagine. Pretty easy to parry, perfect dodge (for those slow down moments), etc.

-No issues with performance either. I've experienced no noticeable moments of frame-rate drops or anything. I did some research and saw there were some issues at launch, but the patches have fixed all of it it seems.

Quick note (assuming you buy it): Don't let the hazy-look of the game at first be off-putting. I think it's intended to set up the "doom" atmosphere. You can't see very far (like there's a haze everywhere), but it's only limited to the beginning and that area has cleared up since beating the prologue. I thought it was the graphical limitations of the Switch, and was at first disappointed, but that changed as soon as the prologue concluded. I spent 3 hours on the prologue as I explored a good bit, but it's probably like ~60-90 mins of actual story.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Awesome, thanks Corpse! After posting yesterday I realized there was a demo available for the game, which I played and enjoyed, so was leaning towards buying the full game, then your post convinced me to follow through. Excited to have some
time to play it.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:59 pm
The Kramer

God of War Ragnarok - Nov 9. Usually I'd take any release date with scepticism, but since Sony moved their other fall blockbuster Forspoken to 2023 then they must be confident Ragnarok is hitting that date. Kratos v Thor is gonna be epic.

GameFly had Horizon Forbidden West on sale for $35 and I couldn't resist. I wanted to get through a bit more of my backlog before hopping into it, but PS5 exclusives go on sale about as rarely as Nintendo these days. Speaking of: Arceus is also $35. Probably won't grab that one just yet though.

Started up Halo Infinite campaign this week (bad timing with the Horizon sale lol)! Only got through the twoish hour opening so far, which plays like a normal Halo game before you land on Zeta and things open it. Will see how open world Halo feels later today.

Quit Guardians of the Galaxy though. I liked where the story was going, but the combat system got old pretty quick and anytime I got stuck somewhere I just switched to something else like Elden Ring. Was also messing around with older games like A Link To The Past and Spyro 2. They did their job of weening me off Elden Ring, though I still pop back into that every now and then. Need to finish it once more for the platinum trophy and am about 40% through Journey 3.

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:43 pm
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:

I'm... okay at the game. :funny: I've only won solo twice, but do get to the final round probably 1/3 of the time or more. Win in Squad mode more often, and do fair in the rest. I like how there's a game mode that rotates like every day or two. I'm a pretty annoying player, I think, as I like to grab and try to push people off the sides on survival courses when most are just trying to, well, survive.

And even though I have 30hrs into the game now, I have still not finished one of those courses where the slime is rising. And I doubt I'm alone, because 3/4 of the field is usually eliminated on them too.

Fall Guys didn't even have squads last time I played. :hahaha:

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's a fun mode. A little less "stressful" as being eliminated or not even finishing a course you suck at (those rising slime levels...) can still get you (your squad) to the next round if one or more players did well. On the other hand... sometimes you get some bad (or new) players who, despite finishing in first or top 20% yourself, drags the squad down and gets you eliminated.

Steve wrote:
Awesome, thanks Corpse! After posting yesterday I realized there was a demo available for the game, which I played and enjoyed, so was leaning towards buying the full game, then your post convinced me to follow through. Excited to have some
time to play it.

I was wondering if the prologue was the demo while I played through it. Appropriate length and style for a demo, that haze/blurry look (=demo/prologue being excluded from the patches) that was just limited to it.

You may consider creating an Ubisoft account (free) so you can access Ubisoft Connect. You can get some cool free things to use in-game. It also tracks your in-game stats. Here are some images from my page to show you what to expect: (Note! I haven't used real money for any of the rewards I've received.)

Spoiler: show

P.S. I'm not an Ubisoft employee promoting them, I promise. It's just really cool that you can receive some freebies to use, and if you like stats (like me), it keeps track of a lot of stuff. Also, while this may not apply to you, this allows you to transfer your save file across different platforms (any that the game is on), too, which is nice.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Bayonetta 3 out this year? Wasn't expecting that!

Stray is getting really good reviews. I certainly don't need any new games right now, but also want to support developers who make games about cats. Hmm...

The Hot Wheels expansion for Forza Horizon 5 is out today = yay! However, it's not on game pass for free and we have to pay for it = booo! Guess they have to make money somehow...

Still haven't started Horizon Forbidden West yet, but I did get frustrated with Halo Infinite's map and went back to Elden Ring like a total crackhead.

I did finally beat a game that wasn't Elden Ring though! TMNT: Shredder's Revenge. There's a lot of nostalgic beat-em-ups out there, but this one hit better than any I've played recently. The multiplayer is fun, but also pretty hard to get a group of randos together since there was almost always someone afk. All the characters felt very unique to play. Doni and Splinter were my favorites. Range was the key to beating the last few levels. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Fall/Winter 2022 is getting really crowded, and that's despite some big titles moving to 2023.

For me (Sept.-Nov.): Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Skull & Bones (another surprise), Mario + Rabbids 2, Marvel's Midnight Suns, and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet. Sea of Stars was pushed to 2023.

And that's just my day one purchases or eventual buys. There's God of War, The Last of Us Part 1, Gotham Knights, and likely several more big titles I can't think of off the top of my head.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Immortals Fenyx Rising is on its way to becoming a favorite. I have no complaints so far (25 hours in), and still come across something new I didn't know I could do. For example, I very recently discovered that if you hit the large pomegranate trees with your axe a couple times, the pomegranates will fall from them! Until then, I spent a lot of time shooting them down with arrows. Immediately reminded me discovering something new that was right under my nose in Breath of the Wild. Now, the environment is more interactive/alive in BotW (more ways to do things), but there are times when it's similar in its discoveries like that.

I watched a review that said the puzzles/vaults (like the shrines in BotW) were relatively basic, but I have to disagree. There are some (a few) that are pretty simplistic, unoriginal run-of-the-mill platformer / puzzle solving, but there's been enough diversity and those that require some thinking and strategy that make up for them. I spent over an hour on this hard one (that was difficult to even reach) last night that required almost perfect platforming, running, gliding, etc., in order to complete with the bonus chest (to the point where wasting a second or two would equal failure / retry attempt). I thought I was going to need near max stamina upgrades and would need to come back much later, but I was persistent (since it was hard to reach) and eventually got it.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

Speaking of Breath of the Wild, I am playing that game again. It is still fun, but unfortunately the game depends on discovery so it will never be as fun as the first time

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:07 pm
The Kramer

Found out I can upgrade my playstation plus to their game pass clone for $25 (until March) which is less than the cost of Stray by itself. That'll work. I just have to remember to cancel it in time. :funny:

Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:05 pm

Good luck

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Husband has put a good amount of time into AC Valhalla this past month. He's enjoying it, and the game is beautiful (Series S), though he ranks it below AC Origins and AC Odyssey for now. I've watched him a good bit, and the controls seem slower and the combat almost "clunky" in comparison. And, unless it's a skill that he hasn't unlocked, you can't craft arrows like in Odyssey, which was a feature he loved. So that's a bummer.

Also, while it doesn't really "matter", we don't really understand why tattoos were included if you can't even see them with the vast majority of the gear in the game so far (basically all of it). There are a ton of cool designs, you just can't see really see them and they provide no bonuses, so it's a little odd.

The biggest complaint, after not being able to craft arrows, is that some enemies or areas are much, much higher power levels than the region they're in, making them nigh impossible to beat. For example, he came across a 340 power level enemy as a mystery (side-quest) in a suggested power level region of like 80. So... that can't be completed for a really long time, presumably. There have been a number of these situations.

He's still liking it though.

Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

If someone wants to buy me any of this, hit me up.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I kinda agree with everything he says about Valhalla. Its a gorgeous world to explore, but its not very fun doing it. I only played for a couple hours and most of that was in the dice game. :funny:

I love that Hades hoodie but I already have like 3 hoodies that I never wear. :wacko:

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:18 pm
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Speaking of Breath of the Wild, I am playing that game again. It is still fun, but unfortunately the game depends on discovery so it will never be as fun as the first time
Elden Ring has sort of been the same way where the exploration is the most fun part. I've been switching my weapons and spells up every now and then to keep the game fresh, but not sure how you can replicate this in Breath of the Wild since everything breaks so quickly. Maybe a speed run where you try to down Ganon as quick as possible?

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I kinda agree with everything he says about Valhalla. Its a gorgeous world to explore, but its not very fun doing it. I only played for a couple hours and most of that was in the dice game. :funny:

I love that Hades hoodie but I already have like 3 hoodies that I never wear. :wacko:

The dice game is pretty fun. The raids are fun. The puzzles scattered about the map, stacking stones, aligning the symbols in the stone circles, etc., are also welcome finds. The AI is an improvement over Origins and Odyssey. The writing and voice-acting is also quite strong (probably easier for the team to write this era in history versus Ancient Greece and Egypt). And, as mentioned, it's beautiful.

Oh, and I like the flyting.

The game has its strong points like these, they're just a bit too scattered. He gives it an 8/10 right now, and from watching him, that looks about right to me too. For reference, we scored Origins (him - 9.5; me - 9) and Odyssey (him - 9; me - 9.5).

Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:04 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Had a first in Fall Guys yesterday. Was doing squads and Slimescraper popped up in the second round. One of the dudes from my team was the ONLY ONE who finished the level. Yet the game did not give us the victory and forced the four members of my squad to compete in Hexagone afterwards. Was so weird, but we were all trying to be the last one standing despite the knowledge that we'd get the victory no matter what. :funny:

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Is Slimescraper one where the slime rises? Ugh. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but I still haven't even finished one of those levels. And only having one person finish is both shocking and unsurprising, lol, as they do usually eliminate a huge part of the field (3/4 at least). If like 70/80% of players struggle to finish them, I don't feel so bad at it. Haha.

A level that was sort of "meh" when I played it the first couple times but have since come to love is the one where you run down the level (on ice) and jump through the rotating wheels with different valued circles on them. I sucked at it for a while, but now that my jumping and diving is pretty good (if I say so), I really enjoy it.

Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:42 pm
Profile WWW

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Elden Ring has sort of been the same way where the exploration is the most fun part. I've been switching my weapons and spells up every now and then to keep the game fresh, but not sure how you can replicate this in Breath of the Wild since everything breaks so quickly. Maybe a speed run where you try to down Ganon as quick as possible?

I try and find new paths to beat the game by. I think the game is better if you avoid getting Revali’s Gale until later on. Once you get it, exploring feels broken. Which is great if it is end game.

Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:14 pm
Veteran

Replaying Elden Ring

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Marvel's Midnight Suns has been pushed back (later this "fiscal year"). Haven't checked, but I assume it's the fiscal year is in the spring (March/April).

I'm okay with it. I mean, doesn't matter if I am or not, but clears up the schedule a bit more.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And Hogwarts Legacy delayed to Feb. 10th, 2023. Not a huge delay at least.

This is all good, because after that Splatoon 3 Direct, I know I'll be playing it a ton for who knows how long.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The Fall season clearing out is no surprise. There's just been too many disaster launches from people trying to sneak in their release before Christmas. I expect Skull and Bones to be the next one delayed.

Stray was wonderful. Was worth upgrading to PSGamePass just for that, even if I play nothing else. Meowing, scratching, sleeping, knocking stuff over, jumping in and out of boxes, etc... is stuff that cat dreams are made of, but the story was surprisingly deep too, bringing an abundance of humanity to a game that has zero humans in it. 9.5/10. Took me about 6.5 hours to complete, but I think I'll be going back for the trophies so long as they are reasonable.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I've been playing a bit of Splatoon 2 again to satisfy some of the need for Splatoon 3 next month, and received a friend request from a player. I almost always accept them, which I did here, but check out this dude's playtime of Friday the 13th!!!

The playtime isn't *too* crazy itself, but that game? Really? Nothing against it, never played it, but it's very random. I see hundreds upon hundreds, even thousands of hours for some games like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Minecraft, Fortnite, and Splatoon 2 as well, etc., but... Friday the 13th? :funny:

Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

AEW Fight Forever looks promising. Gameplay basically appears to be a modernized WWF No Mercy.

Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 91  Next