Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Civil Unions 
Forum General

Post Civil Unions
Yeah so I thought we could create a thread to get things rolling around here....(hopefully people will respond) :?

What are your opinions on Civil Unions among homosexuals?

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:24 pm
Teenage Dream

Frist of all, the idea of forcing gay people into "civil unions" instead of marriage is insulting. My views on the subject can be sumed by this piece that's been floating around the net for awhile now. Please note that this is sarcasim, and is supposed to show these moronic arguments for what they are:

Twelve reasons why gays shouldn't marry:

1# Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
2# Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
3# Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
4# Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
5# Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
6# Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
7# Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
8# Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
9# Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
10# Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
11# Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
12# Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 am
Forum General

Frist of all, the idea of forcing gay people into "civil unions" instead of marriage is insulting. My views on the subject can be sumed by this piece that's been floating around the net for awhile now. Please note that this is sarcasim, and is supposed to show these moronic arguments for what they are:

Twelve reasons why gays shouldn't marry:

1# Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
2# Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
3# Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
4# Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
5# Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
6# Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
7# Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
8# Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
9# Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
10# Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
11# Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
12# Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.

:lol: :lol: Thats funny Makeshift

But, they are not being "forced" into civil unions. But can you really expect church's to accept homosexuality? Although I disagree with their viewpoints on homosexuality, you cant tell them what they can or cant do in their own church

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:15 am
Teenage Dream

They are absolutely being forced into civil unions. None of the politicians have the balls to stand up and demand marriage, so the best they can hope for is a cheap knock off.

Church's aren't the only places that can perform marriages, you know.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:21 am
George A. Romero

honestly, i don't approve of homosexuality but hey, i don't hate people just because of their sexual orientation, people who do that are ignorant fools. if they want to get married, more power to them. i have no problem with them marrying. what they want to do is their own personal business and i'm fine with that.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:27 am
Teenage Dream

honestly, i don't approve of homosexuality but hey, i don't hate people just because of their sexual orientation, people who do that are ignorant fools. if they want to get married, more power to them. i have no problem with them marrying. what they want to do is their own personal business and i'm fine with that.

If only all people who personally didin't approve of homosexuality were like you. I fail to see how these conservative christians feel like this impacts their life in any way, shape, or form. Why do they care? Why is it okay for a heterosexual person to get married, divorced, married, divorced, married, divorced - and not okay for a gay couple that has been together for thirty years to not marry?

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:32 am
George A. Romero

Terminator1997 wrote:

If only all people who personally didin't approve of homosexuality were like you. I fail to see how these conservative christians feel like this impacts their life in any way, shape, or form. Why do they care? Why is it okay for a heterosexual person to get married, divorced, married, divorced, married, divorced - and not okay for a gay couple that has been together for thirty years to not marry?

EXACTLY! Well said makeshift. why should it bother me if homosexuals get married, it will not affect my life so it doesn't bother me what they want to do, it's their business and i'm perfectly fine with that.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:36 am
Forum General

Terminator1997 wrote:

Once again, I have NO PROBLEM WITH HOMOSEXUALITY, I think its perfectly normal...your born with it...you cant "help" it. But I think its a lost cause to try and get conservatives to agree with it. It goes against their religion, and everything they believe....althogh its kinda funny bc im christian yet have no problems with homosexuals.
Your right though makeshift...the "sanctity" of marriage that they want to protect is comical. There is no sanctity...at least as much as they would like you to believe

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:39 am
George A. Romero

there's really not a lot of sanctity in marriage anymore. just look at celebrities who get married for a month and get divorced, then re marry, and so on...it's pathetic.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:41 am
rustiphica

Isn't marriage just a religious ceremony? So if the priest doesn't want to do the ceremony to a gay couple, then it is done like that. If the church doesn't want too then they don't have to. But for civil unions I think homosexuals should be able to have that.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:57 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I, for one think that Homosexual is wrong and unlawful. Everybody is saying "but hey they can sitll raise kids". Yeah thats nice but can they beget their own children. Ha No. Marrige is all about a man and a woman marrying each other to make kids. Homosexual Marrige is when a man and man marry each other or woman and woman marry each toher and they adopt kids. If that does happen then it wouldnt be called marrige because you cannot make your own kids now can you? I have no problem with homosexuals but my religion says its not wrong to be homosexual but its wrong to act upon it and marrige is religious ceremony so the homosexuals can be religiousely married but not by law.

Today in my History Class, my teacher asked now who is in favor for gay marriges. All the girls, every single one of them, are for gay marrige and then all the guys, every single one of them, are against it. Just saying that its a feminine idea to have gay marrige. Not saying that only girls think that way but its the majority.

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I, for one think that Homosexual is wrong and unlawful. Everybody is saying "but hey they can sitll raise kids". Yeah thats nice but can they beget their own children. Ha No. Marrige is all about a man and a woman marrying each other to make kids. Homosexual Marrige is when a man and man marry each other or woman and woman marry each toher and they adopt kids. If that does happen then it wouldnt be called marrige because you cannot make your own kids now can you? I have no problem with homosexuals but my religion says its not wrong to be homosexual but its wrong to act upon it and marrige is religious ceremony so the homosexuals can be religiousely married but not by law.

Today in my History Class, my teacher asked now who is in favor for gay marriges. All the girls, every single one of them, are for gay marrige and then all the guys, every single one of them, are against it. Just saying that its a feminine idea to have gay marrige. Not saying that only girls think that way but its the majority.

First of all, the reason all of the men in your class voted no is because most men (boys, actually) your age are homophobic.

Secondly, where did you get the idea that the only reason to marry is to have kids? People have kids out of wedlock all of the time, and many people that get married never have kids. The point of getting married is to express unconditional love to your partner. That's it.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:19 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Coasterman2002 wrote:

First of all, the reason all of the men in your class voted no is because most men (boys, actually) your age are homophobic.

Secondly, where did you get the idea that the only reason to marry is to have kids? People have kids out of wedlock all of the time, and many people that get married never have kids. The point of getting married is to express unconditional love to your partner. That's it.

most people not all people want to get married to make offspring and so that their family will keep on going...yeah people dont have kids until 3years into their marrige but the one of the main reasons is to make your own kids....a kid to a parent is the greatest thing they coudl ever receive

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

makeshift_wings wrote:
Coasterman2002 wrote:

most people not all people want to get married to make offspring and so that their family will keep on going...yeah people dont have kids until 3years into their marrige but the one of the main reasons is to make your own kids....a kid to a parent is the greatest thing they coudl ever receive

So what about all the people who have children out of wedlock? Or the people who get married just to get married?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:00 am
Extraordinary

They are absolutely being forced into civil unions. None of the politicians have the balls to stand up and demand marriage, so the best they can hope for is a cheap knock off.

Church's aren't the only places that can perform marriages, you know.

Makeshift, I understand what you are saying, but believe the best parallel I can come up with is minimun wage. The push towards Civil Union is not exclusionary (ideally that is), it is what the government can guarantee be a basic minimum amount of respect and priviledge that everyone should recieve who when they have partners. This is not to say that the government should also not accept any marriage certificate pertaining to a homosexual union. Civil Union = $6.00/hour. It can only go up from there, not down.

As far as the Massachusetts ruling, it was very broad, and was targetted at the government having to recognize a certificate if one was procurred. Which should remain. If the Universalists (I think that's the group, don't quote me) think its fine, or the reform jews do, and they go ahead and give a gay couple a marriage certificate, than the government still should acknowledge it. If the Roman Catholic church doesn't, than the government should still extend all State-bound priviledges possible to the couple, but cannot and should not force the catholic church to perform the marriage. IMO.

I'm not sure if that was clear, my parallel was pretty rotten now that I look back on it.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:39 am
Bleh, I support civil unions (and same-sex marriage), but I'm against minimum wage!!

Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:17 pm
Extraordinary

Bleh, I support civil unions (and same-sex marriage), but I'm against minimum wage!!

So I guess it was a bad parallel than huh? Could you, perhaps, proffer up a better one Kremmy?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:14 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Coasterman2002 wrote:
makeshift_wings wrote:
Coasterman2002 wrote:

So what about all the people who have children out of wedlock? Or the people who get married just to get married?

ok thats nice but i guess you didnt read what i said...MOST people get married for the kids ...if they don't have any kids then good for them there the minority

Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

But you said in your initial post that marriage was all about making kids. Not that MOST choose to have kids. Your initial post made it seem as if there was some background to the word "marriage" I was missing.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:14 pm
Krem wrote:

So I guess it was a bad parallel than huh? Could you, perhaps, proffer up a better one Kremmy?

I don't necessarily like analogies.

The thing is, between "civil unions" and "marriages" who cares what it's called; as long as same-sex couples get the same protection under the law as heterosexual couples do, it's fine by me.

And while we're at it, I'd really like to end the hypcorisy of barring close relatives from marrying.

I'm not offering this as a slippery slope argument; I'd really like to see it happen.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:23 pm
rustiphica

I'm not offering this as a slippery slope argument; I'd really like to see it happen.

There are certain words you just don't use while talking about gays. :lol:

Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:56 pm
Forum General

Something that I really don't understand me and pisses me off is those people who vill vote "yes" to the constitutional admendment. It is NOT AFFECTING those people so why do they care?
I mean are they afraid of gays?!?! :roll:

Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:26 pm
rustiphica

Something that I really don't understand me and pisses me off is those people who vill vote "yes" to the constitutional admendment. It is NOT AFFECTING those people so why do they care?
I mean are they afraid of gays?!?! :roll:

religious belief I am guessing.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:07 am
Iron Man

The reason so many people are against it is not only because some people are homophobic are whatever, but that the idea of marriage is a religious idea and most if not all cultures in the world link marriage with religious beliefs more than most other aspects of life.
I saw a few polls in the past where support for gay marriage jumped significantly when it was not called 'marriage' (i.e. civil unions), I guess that's what most people against it are concerned about this.
The idea of marriage today is certainly not what it was ever meant to be, divorce for one thing. I guess people want to stop this from going too far; of course the idea of marriage has been corrupted for too long anyways, but I guess a lot of people are saying if gays want to marry then they can call it something else and do whatever they want, just don't mess around with marriage. :D

Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]