Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What are you reading right now? (2022) 
Forum General

Post Re: What are you reading right now? (2021)
Because of my job I read quite a few advance reader copies, so some of these aren’t out yet. But thus far this year I’ve read…

Bath Haus, P.J. Vernon - 4/5
Can’t Take That Away, Steven Salvatore - 5/5
Burn it All Down, Nicolas DiDomizio - 4/5
As Far As You’ll Take Me, Phil Stamper - 2/5
Black Buck, Mateo Askaripour - 5/5
A Little Life, Hanya Yanagihara - 5/5
Red, White & Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston - 5/5
Jay’s Gay Agenda, Jason June - 4/5
Hooked: How Crafting Saved My Life, Sutton Foster - 4/5
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Sáenz - 3/5
Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World, Benjamin Alire Sáenz - 2/5
The People in the Trees, Hanya Yanaghiara - 4/5
The Lincoln Highway, Amor Towles - 3/5
And They Lived…, Steven Salvatore - 5/5
The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires, Grady Hendrix - 4/5
Nightbitch, Rachel Yoder - 3/5
To Paradise, Hanya Yanaghiara - 3/5
The Final Girls Support Group, Grady Hendrix - 3/5
Beautiful World, Where Are You?, Sally Rooney - 5/5
Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom - 3/5
The Bridges of Madison County, Robert James Waller - 5/5
We Were Never Here, Andrea Bartz - 1/5
Comfort Me with Apples, Catherynne M. Valente - 3/5

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Nice to see Red, White & Royal Blue on your list. Glad you loved it. Amazon got the film rights to it last year.

If you're taking recommendations, I'd suggest (as far are more recent books): What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera and They Both Die at The End by Adam Silvera. And if you like fiction that leans more into fantasy, but also keeping the focus on the character relationships and dynamics, Rainbow Rowell's Simon Snow trilogy.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Bath Haus was something of a disappointment for me but glad you enjoyed it! I really enjoyed Red White and Royal Blue too, really want to read Boyfriend Material soon too which has a similar vibe

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:04 pm
Star Trek XI

Bath Haus was something of a disappointment for me but glad you enjoyed it! I really enjoyed Red White and Royal Blue too, really want to read Boyfriend Material soon too which has a similar vibe

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
Spoiler: show
01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin *B+*
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan *B+*
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan *B+*
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan *B*
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan *B+*
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson *A-*
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens *A-*

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell *A*
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski *A-*
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski *B+*
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
16. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

01. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, Book 6) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
02. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, Book 7) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera *A-*
04. Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle Series, Book 1) by Adam Silvera *B-*
05. Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
06. The Iliad by Homer [re-read] *A-*
07. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
08. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A*
09. Chain of Iron (The Last Hours, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
13. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas *B+*
14. Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 1) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
15. Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 2) by Leigh Bardugo *B*
16. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 3) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
17. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
19. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera *A-*
21. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera and Angie Thomas *B-*
22. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman *A*
23. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston *A-*
24. Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, Book 1) by Crystal Smith *C+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*

I picked up Bloodleaf (hardcover) brand new, basically, from a Goodwiil that had an entire case of them that looked like it was just opened. Guessing it didn't sell nearly as well as the publisher had hoped, so they had a lot of inventory to ship off/donate to dollar stores and such.

Not very good. It's fine, but probably won't finish the trilogy.

So I re-read the Kingkiller Chronicle again to make up for it. 10 years now since the release of The Wise Man's Fear AND Dance of Dragons. (Wise Man's Fear with the 4 month longer wait!) I don't mind waiting, especially now, but I do hope their successors, The Doors of Stone and The Winds of Winter, both come out in the next 10 years.

Both Patrick Rothfuss and George R.R. Martin have a similar pattern of "hinting" at the release window a couple times a year (though I guess it's more fan speculation than anything) in a blog, interview, steam, or something, but then...nothing. :funny:

Also...10th anniversary edition of Wise Man's Fear! Where you at!?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I know we’ve talked about it before, but I’m still surprised you liked WMF as much as NOTW. Just felt like 800 pages of nothing happening to me, and the whole “I learned sex from a sex fairy!” Part was cringe. :funny: That probably makes it sound worse than it is (like a 6 vs a 9.5 for Part one) though. His writing style is still very strong, I just think he regrets making it a trilogy instead of going book by book.

Winds of Winter won’t be published until GRRM has passed I fear. Then someone else will finish Dream of Spring like they did with Wheel of Time. And they’ll throw D&D under the bus, change the ending and pretend that was what GRRM intended the entire time.

I got tired of waiting for Death in the Clouds on libby and rented Lord Edgware Dies instead. Not as good as Orient Express, but I guessed the wrong killer … again.

Also bought It on amazon for $3. Thought I was done with King, but it is actually quite good so far and different enough from the movies (the book starts with them as adults) to make it feel fresh.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wouldn't say I like WMF as much as NOTW. I know I gave them both a top grade, but I'd still choose NOTW over it. I just don't have any real reasons, personally, to give WMF a lower grade.

I read Cassandra Clare though (Shadowhunter Chronicles). All her books since 2012 (a total of 7 since) have been somewhere between 600-1,000 pages. And if you include the co-written books, it's 8 or 9, I think. She follows a very similar format where "not much happens" through the middle of most of her books (which can be several hundred pages), but I enjoy the world and characters enough where it doesn't really impact my opinion of the books themselves, really.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I remember enjoying Wise Man’s Fear as much as, if not more than Name of the Wind. Was surprised to hear the general response was “not as good, not much happens.”

Also, regarding reading in general — I go through weird spells of being really into fiction, then other times when I can’t seem to get into any book for months. Currently trying to read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman, but I seem to be in an anti-reading phase.

Last Read — 2021:

Antkind, Charlie Kaufman
The Overstory, Richard Powers
Night of Fire, Colin Thubron
They Both Die at the End, Adam Silvera
The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Alix Harrow
Shadow Tag, Louise Erdrich

2020:

The Revisionaries, A.R. Moxon
The Vanished Birds, Simon Jiminez
Dead Astronauts, Jeff Vandermeer
The Old Drift, Namwali Serpell
Ninth House, Leigh Bardugo
Early Riser, Jasper Fforde
Red, White and Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston
The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, Ken Liu
Exhalation, Ted Chiang
Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler
Parable of the Talents, Octavia Butler
How to Stop Time, Matt Haig

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

So question for everyone: Do you own/buy multiple copies of the same book? Paperback, hardcover, special edition, publisher edition, etc.?

My husband always questions why I spend so much money on the same books. He's fine with it, and even buys me a copy I don't own sometimes, but he mostly finds it unnecessary and silly to spend sometimes hundreds on the same book in the end.

I do this a lot. I always at least own a hardcover, paperback, and a special edition of some kind of a favorite book or book series. But I'll go beyond just having two/three copies of a favorite book or book series, and end up buying the special and/or limited editions, anniversary editions, signature editions, illustrated editions, store exclusive editions, and sometimes other publisher editions outside of the U.S. if the covers are nice. So I have as many as 7-8 different copies of some books or book series. I'm also a sucker for owning the first print copy of books, so if it's a book or series I read post original release, I'll made some effort to get them.

Anyone else buy multiple copies of the "same" book/book series?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

damn Corpse, how many of your walls are covered in books? :hahaha:

I trend towards the opposite. First off, I only want paperback copies. I really dislike hardcover books, too heavy and cumbersome (I do almost all my reading lying in bed).

Then once I read a book, if I really love it I’ll keep it, if I don’t love it I’ll put it one of those “Little Free Libraries” down the street. Sometimes if I love a book I’ll share it with someone who I think might enjoy it (usually Mom or a friend—although now I’m in a different state than both of them, boo).

I’ve probably “donated” a couple hundred books over the last ten years. There’s something gratifying to me about passing it on. Plus I rarely ever re-read a book a second time anymore, so why hoard? On the other hand, I like seeing other people’s vast libraries, and can appreciate that too.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 pm
The Kramer

Definitley not lol. As a matter of fact, I don't really own any of my favorite books for the last few years. I tend to rent it online digitally from the Libby app (or from a real library pre-covid), and if I really like it I will buy the sequel (s). Thus why my shelf currently has The City of Mirrors, The Secret Commonwealth, Ready Player Two (ugh), The Wise Man's Fear, The Last Colony, etc... With none of the originals. :funny:

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, I have six bookshelves, and will need to get a seventh soon for another manga shelf (4 away from capacity). Wanted a house with built in bookshelves, but those were rare around here, and when included, they were always well outside our buying range. So, bookshelves everywhere it was.

I also asked since I counted my books yesterday after my husband asked why I was wanting another (4th) copy of The Name of the Wind (UK 10th anniversary edition) when I gave him my Xmas gift list. Overall, I have 136 "extra" copies of books.

497 (379 titles, 118 extra) Books
426 (417 titles, 9 extra) Manga
66 (60 titles, 6 extra) Comics and Graphic Novels
45 (44 titles, 1 extra) Audiobook CDs
43 (41 titles, 2 extra) Video Game Guides

Overall: 1,077 (941 titles, 136 extra)

(This looks like a lot, and probably is, but there are people on Reddit and Goodreads with thousands more.)

Steve, the reason I get paperbacks is to have a reading copy. I prefer to read them as well since like you said, hardcovers can be cumbersome, especially for long titles. The hardcovers are for display-only for the most part, unless a paperback hasn't been released yet. I'll share pictures at some point.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Wow!!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's a lot, but I also promise the number amount sounds like it takes up more space than it does.

Taking this moment to also share the new special/deluxe editions of The Lord of the Rings coming out in a couple weeks. There are many, MANY different Lord of the Rings books of course, including many special editions, but the prettiest is almost certainly what's coming out in November:

The one below is currently available for pre-order for "just" $45 on Amazon (MSRP will be $75). (Note: It's a single book that includes all three volumes.) If you don't have any of The Lord of the Rings, $45 is a standard, or even value price, for all three books (you'd be paying ~$30-45 for just the regular paperbacks anyway), so this pre-order price for this edition is pretty great.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I just had a fun lookback at the A Song of Ice and Fire thread here.

You guys were so pissed every time A Dance with Dragons would get pushed back! LOL. It had only been 3 years since A Feast of Crows was released and the impatience (turned annoyance) for A Dance with Dragons had already begun.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Now there is just resignation for Book 6 of ASOIAF. I plan to re-read the GoT and LOTR books. Maybe Dune as well. I have several other novels on the docket that I have to get through first.

I am currently reading Knife of Dreams from the Wheel of Time series.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Ordered a signed copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Name of the Wind a while back, and...it arrived this morning! Here are several pictures (including a picture of the updated Four Corners, and the new currency guide). Not every chapter has an illustrated page to go along with it, but many do. I included two of the earlier ones I liked most.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Reorganizing my collection. Still waiting for a new shelf to arrive (back order of 2-3 weeks, so it'll be a bit) to put out more, but here it is so far. (The locked case contains my signed books, some first editions, and other sentimental volumes):

In total, I've gotten 272 books back on shelves (200-ish still boxed up), and 341 manga put out (the remaining 70/80 are apart of boxed-sets not pictured or extras). The manga are alphabetical (except for Vinland Saga), but I ran out of room (going to fill the top of the shelf). So, something around two-thirds of my collection.

(Ignore Cthulhu coming out of my bedroom ceiling. He doesn't like to stay in the attic very much.)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

So cool :thumbsup:

Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:38 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: What are you reading right now?
01. Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
02. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
03. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
04. Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin *B+*
05. The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan *B+*
06. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 2) by John Flanagan *B+*
07. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan *B*
08. Oakleaf Bearers (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan *B+*
09. The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *B+*
10. The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
11. The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan *B*
12. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson *A*
13. The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John Flanagan *B*
14. The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Elder Curses Trilogy, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*
15. American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton (Ill.), Walt Simonson (Ill.) *A*
16. The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
17. A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) by Ursula K. Le Guin [re-read] *A*
18. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
19. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens *A-*

01. Carry On (Simon Snow, Book 1) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
02. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell *A*
03. Blood of Elves (The Witcher, Book 1) by Andrzej Sapkowski *A-*
04. The Time of Contempt (The Witcher, Book 2) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
05. Baptism of Fire (The Witcher, Book 3) by Andrzei Sapkowski *A-*
06. The Last Wish (The Witcher, Book 0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski *B+*
07. American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell, Rick Parket, Scott Hampton (Ill.) *A*
08. The Tombs of Atuan (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 2) by Ursula K. Le Guiu [re-read] *A-*
09. Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, Book 1) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
10. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, Book 2) by Sarah J. Mass *A-*
11. Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, Book 3) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
12. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, Book 4) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
13. The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1) by Rick Riordan *A-*
14. The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2) by Rick Riordan *B+*
15. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3) by Rick Riordan *B+*
16. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, Book 5) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
17. The Lost Book of White (The Eldest Curses, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu *A-*

01. Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, Book 6) by Sarah J. Mass *B*
02. Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, Book 7) by Sarah J. Mass *B+*
03. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera *A-*
04. Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle Series, Book 1) by Adam Silvera *B-*
05. Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
06. The Iliad by Homer [re-read] *A-*
07. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller [re-read] *A+*
08. Wayward Son (Simon Snow, Book 2) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A*
09. Chain of Iron (The Last Hours, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare *A-*
10. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *B+*
11. Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, Book 2) by Cassandra Clare [re-read] *A-*
12. Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, Book 3) by Cassandra Clare [re-read]
*A*
13. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas *B+*
14. Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 1) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
15. Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 2) by Leigh Bardugo *B*
16. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Book 3) by Leigh Bardugo *B+*
17. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell *A+*
18. Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, Book 3) by Rainbow Rowell [re-read] *A+*
19. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell *A-*
20. What If It's Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera *A-*
21. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera and Angie Thomas *B-*
22. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman *A*
23. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston *A-*
24. Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, Book 1) by Crystal Smith *C+*
25. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A+*
26. The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2) by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read]
*A+*
27. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss [re-read] *A*
28. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) by Brandon Sanderson *A+*

Finally got around to reading Words of Radiance (got to make time for 1,000+ page books), the second book in The Stormlight Archive series. Very excellent. Rather than taking a break from this series again, I'm going to jump straight into book 3, Oathbringer, soon to wrap up 2021.

Have you read this series, Flava'd or anyone else here? Definitely recommended for any fantasy fans.

Just a warning: Sanderson is a fast and proficient writer (managing multiple different series at once), so while I'm not expecting The Stormlight Archive to become the next big fantasy series to potentially never finish ala ASOIAF/KKC (as he did finish The Wheel of Time after Jordan's passing, after all), it's still a planned 10 book series and book 4 came out last year and book 5 is planned for 2023. So, assuming a new book continues to come out every 3-4 years as they have so far, it's going to be up to 20 more years before it's concluded and will probably be just as long as/or longer than WOT in length if they continue to be ~1,200 pages each.

Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

:whaa:

10.5 years of literally nothing besides super vague "working on it" comments every year or two (including his editor saying a year or two ago that she hasn't seen a word of the book, and didn't think he'd written anything yet) and now this all of a sudden?

I imagine the prologue is similar to books one and two, so I'd expect it to be finished at least, but a chapter too? Even if it's a single page or two, just... so unexpected.

Now... This may only mean he just recently really began writing it, and it's nowhere near complete still, but for him to share at least this much is pretty shocking given his history.

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:42 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Well that's something atleast.

Though GRRM released a Winds of Winter chapter like eight years ago. :sleeping:

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:26 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I know, I know. But... it at least *exists* in some form. :P

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Doors of Stone - Prologue (copied from the reading earlier today):

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Illusion of Justice: Inside Making a Murderer and America's Broken System, Author Jerome F. Buting

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next