Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
How did the audience react in person from the CM Punk squash?

I don't want to think too much of its impact yet, and people are likely exaggerating, but it does feel like a true blunder by AEW that *could* have a negative impact on the promotion.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Crowd was very pro-Mox so they were kinda happy at first, but then just deflated for a long time afterwards. Ricky's promo got no reaction in the next segment.

CM Punk is cursed in Cleveland. He walked out on WWE right before a Raw in Cleveland, his first UFC fight was in Cleveland (where he lost in less than a minute) and now this.

The segment got people talking, it subverted expectations, but at what cost? Punk v Moxley at All Out in Chicago would have been the biggest match in the company's history and they blew it on this instead. Not great business in my opinion. Unless Punk really is "retiring" again, I don't see why they couldn't just keep up the interim title charade until he was ready.

All Out, as it stands, has a bunch of good grudge matches, but the title matches now mean nothing lol. We could've had Punk v Mox unification, Bucks v FTR for All The Titles and Toni Storm finally get a big moment against Thunder Rosa. Now we get none of them lol. Also, apparently Eddie v Sammy is off the card due to an actual backstage fight between them.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

If they have some angle where Punk wins it back at All Out by turning heel with MJF or something that could be cool. Otherwise it's kind of lame. I think they should have just vacated the title originally instead of doing the interm thing.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:07 pm
New Server, Same X

I really don't know what to think about Punk. After last week's bizarre promo and now this, I can't figure it out. Which I know isn't a bad thing in wrestling, unless... it's bad. Which is always a possibility, especially given all this backstage stuff lately.

-Punk could be legit still hurt. But why bring him back to do this quick job? It pretty much shows why the interim thing isn't a good idea now. I was all for it before but this was the worst case scenario with an interim champion.

-Punk is leaving. I mean... it's Punk. It's always a possibility.

-Maybe Punk knows the Cleveland connection and wanted to continue it. Also always a possibility.

This obviously wasn't the plan at the start of summer since we're about a week away from All Out without a planned main event. Even WWE isn't usually that bad.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:25 am
Devil's Advocate

AEW backstage feuds

Guevara vs Kingston
Baker vs Rosa
Punk vs Page (Punk vs everyone?)
MJF vs Tony Khan
FTR v Young Bucks (maybe)
Adam Cole vs I don't know but surely he's pissed someone off

Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:55 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Who knows what's legit or not, but maybe the more "loose" management is showing its downside lately.

Not everyone is going to get along, obviously, backstage feuds aren't unusual, but they shouldn't be having an impact on the product. Shelve the disagreements when you show up at the arena.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

How much influence does WWE have on all this? I feel like they are giving AEW a one-two punch this year between the big deal Cody got before his injury and now Triple H taking over creative and no Vince.

I really didn't think that would happen but there are two big factors in AEW that seem to be shifting:

1. it used to be the place to go to find some freedom away from WWE and to make an impact, which seems to be changing now that so many men and women make BIG debuts in AEW, only to be forgotten. Andrade, Miro, Ruby Soho, even Toni Storm it feels like they've handled her wrong so far.

2. It was the alternative to a very probable boring existence in WWE, where you would risk losing your entire identity and spending most of your time in catering. Now it feels like a lot of people that were probably very close to becoming All Elite (Gargano, Dakota, Iyo Sky) are back with WWE and in a good spot.

It's insane to me that we're just a few days shy of it being three months since MJF's big promo where he wanted to be fired and go to WWE, and we all knew it was story because who the hell would want to go to WWE and get stuck in a creative hole, and now he SHOULD want to leave AEW to go to WWE.

This all comes from a place where I want WWE and AEW to both thrive, but it's a fearful place where I'm not sure any of the news I've been hearing lately about AEW is good.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:52 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I also wonder about how the WB/Discovery merger could be affecting them. According to rumors (Meltzer), they've been asked to "tone the language down" by WB Discovery. If true, I wouldn't be surprised if they're asked to "tone the action (blood, hardcore matches, etc.) down" too.

Has a merger sucked as much as this WB Discovery thing? I think this also greatly reduces the chances of AEW going onto Discovery+ next year, too.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

WB Discovery sounds like shit, top to bottom, so far. I think we're getting back to a point where no major players want anything to do with wrestling unless it's WWE.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

I have never gotten AEW's booking, despite the talent overcoming it sometimes. They seem to act like a wrestler losing a singles match is the worst thing in the world, but them not being on TV for 2 months is not going to hurt them. As a result these guys like Pac, Andrade, Black, Miro etc. don't have singles matches for long stretches, even if they're guaranteed wins when they do. I mean is losing a good match to a star who's above you in the pecking order even that bad for getting over? Isn't it possible that Buddy Matthews taking Adam Page to the limit on a random Dynamite would be the the best thing that could happen to him? Maybe the big guys like Miro and Wardlow they want to keep dominant feel, but for smaller wrestler types like Andrade, I can't buy into the strategy. I've enjoyed the use of Jay Lethal because it's obvious what he is, he is the solid midcard veteran who's a good fit to go first, like in the match like against Dax Harwood this week. It won't overshadow the main event but it'll be a credible match with a guy that looks good and can work that helps fill out the night. Then again it wouldn't be surprising if after All Out they bury that group for a few months.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

Pretty good old school Bloodline beatdown segment, and liked the Sheamus and Gunther promo/staredown.

Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Some concerning things circulating about FTR. If the worst case happened, that they're on their way out of AEW, talk about a huge loss. They're a top 5 talent on the roster, always generating excitement amongst the crowd and delivering consistently great matches.

Might explain the bizarre (or lacking) booking recently. They've been the "top ranked" tag team for what, half the year or something and haven't been given a title shot for some reason? It's pretty odd.

I mean, they're still getting matches and getting regular TV time and everything (and have a trios match at All Out), so could just be all speculation and rumors.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I can see that they would be considered boring for a video game, and nearly unusable in singles. I don't think many people will try to win AEW title as Cash/Dash.

They would probably have a great run under HHH if back in WWE though.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:21 am
Devil's Advocate

Zayn and Owens dethroning the Usos would make sense. They could also do a fun Reigns vs Zayn title match if he's still the champion where he kicks out of the helluva kick and gets the marks hopes for a second.

I can't be too mad at Dakota and Iyo getting stoned for the tag titles cause Aliyah is fine as hell and seems like a nice person. I guess the women's tag title being the belt for the pre-women's evolution types who aren't physical threats to the Biancas and Charlottes isn't a bad way to do it, it just has to be more interesting choices than Carmella and Zelina. They can let Mandy have a nice run there when she gets back.

This weekend looks great overall with many title matches without obvious winners except for Breakker vs Bate.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:37 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sharing because I don't remember this, and it's pretty cool.

Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Rumors a very large man who's not done with Roman yet might be returning imminently

Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

Good Dynamite but does Punk need to be John Cena? I liked the idea more of them leaning into his backstage heat and turning him heel. Feel like it's pretty obvious as well now that he goes over Moxley in Chicago.

Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:30 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm not sure I get why they took the title off him last week to possibly put it back on him this Sunday. Is it because it's Chicago and they want the title change to happen there? Like Roman in WWE, AEW has painted themselves into a no-win situation Sunday.

I loved the Punk/Steele segment, but Mox kind of destroyed Punk in his promo and I think it stifled the crowd a lot when Punk came out.

Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

Feels like they want a Kofi winning the title at Wrestlemania type reaction out of Punk overcoming the earlier squash and winning the title in Chicago

Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 pm
The Kramer

I think FTR is going to help him. The All Out build has been very weird to say the least. AEW always delivers on the big shows though.

I also think Drew McIntyre wins.

Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:34 am
The Kramer

Great show up until the last few minutes. I really don't understand the logic. They had it perfectly, a moment for both british fans and those viewing around the world to remember forever. A historical moment they could have put in the opening credits to Raw one day. But nope, instead its "here's a third Uso and lol Roman wins again."

Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Maybe they're going to break Bruno Sammartino's record while they're 1/4 of the way there?

Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I really didn't expect Drew to win, setting be damned. I feel they want Roman's loss to be in the US and on a bigger stage. I really don't want it to be Wrestlemania, considering we can see other talent getting booked properly now and posing a threat to the undisputed champion.

That said, we have a third Uso which I think buys them more time to keep him as champion. They aren't calling up Solo Sikoa to have Roman drop the title anytime soon.

Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:01 pm
New Server, Same X

On the plus side, Theory and Riddle found their first names. Big win.

Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sounds like this was a weekend I'm going to regret missing, both for some of the great matches and all the drama!

Seeing all sorts of stuff regarding CM Punk on social media, in particular, and none (or very little) of it has to deal with his win over Moxely. Mostly him, apparently, shooting on various AEW talent and media, etc., after the show. I don't know if it's all a work (...), or if there's a real divide in AEW right now.

Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 235  Next