Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
No broken bones! A miracle, honestly. No reports yet, but assuming the best here, ~3-4 months of recovery. Could have been so much worse.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I noticed him pointing at his arm in the first replay, then the second replay just after it happened showed it pretty prominently. The only good thing I could say about it was it came back to the normal arm position, which ended up being good for him.

Overall a great show. As per usual, the 60 minute time limit draw was smart on multiple levels, as everyone expected this one to go the same, especially with their judges. But it made it so much sweeter when Hangman beat Danielson. The right decision too. Although now I wonder where Danielson goes from here, as it seemed like they were building him right to the top.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:
New Day vs Usos was great and I liked the Edge/Miz match more than I thought. Main event delivered in short action packed match. I want to support Liv due to how likeable/hot she is (I almost changed my avatar to a gif of her that would make Dr Lecter proud), but I thought the match was ok.

Lashley vs Lesnar was the obvious move at Wrestlemania and it may as well be for the title. I'd guess in original plan Lashley wins Royal Rumble and they would've got a solid main event in their Fast Lane type PPV of Big E vs Lesnar with Big E title reign ending like The Fiend and Owens. The downside now is that Royal Rumble is pretty anticlimactic with Lashley likely winning, and if not that it'd likely be McIntyre winning 2nd time in 3 years which would be pretty boring.

At Crown Jewel they had 3 heavyweight matches in Reigns/Brock, Big E/McIntyre, and Goldberg/Lashley which probably was highly successful financially, so maybe they'll just the same 6 guys but mix up the pairings, after Reigns/McIntyre and Lesnar/Lashley that leaves Big E and Goldberg, which makes perfect sense with Big E's viral video about it being his dream match and loving big slappy meat matches. Then again maybe they'll just bury Big E and put him in the US title picture or something, and I'm not quite that certain McIntyre is that guy to deserve the push of all pushes by beating Reigns at Wrestlemania, but if Lesnar/Lashley are occupied with each other who else is there? They should finally do Reigns vs Goldberg but that feels more like a Royal Rumble title match to me as Reigns has to win.

I guess I should've watched Raw before making this post...

Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:15 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

No. No you shouldn't have.

It's always fun to read some of your predictions for upcoming events when you're behind. :funny:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Bron Breakker officially the next "guy"? Nice match with Ciampa.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
With all this talk about who the real champ is, Brock v Roman unifying match seems more likely. But what do you do with the rumble winner then? Will they ape from New Japan and have people competing on multiple nights?

They could pull a Charlotte and have AJ win and face the NXT champion, or Reigns enters the Rumble and wins it or something.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Why is Charlotte in the Rumble herself? It would be quite something if she won though, and a very WWE thing to do. No winner to challenge her or Becky at WrestleMania.

WWE has already announced 20 of the 30 women, including
Spoiler: show
Mickie James, the current Impact Champion
. Would have been a legit surprise, so I'd suggest not clicking if at all interested.

But seriously, having Charlotte and the spoiler above as surprise entrants would have been pretty big surprises. I'm sure they'll have at least one or two big surprises (hopefully...), but spoiling these two biggies is pretty deflating. Half the rumble is trying to figure out who's coming out next.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:17 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Some thoughts:

-WWE is definitely grooming Bron Breakker to be THE guy but they have to be very careful, especially with their fickle audience. He's going to look like a corporate creation, like Roman Reigns used to. He's wearing the new NXT 2.0 colours, he kicked apart the old NXT logo in the last match and he generally talks like he's straight out of the WWE Machine. That's going to play against him with audiences if they push him as a babyface, especially when he jumps to the main roster. But I hope it works because he's talented.

So who's left now of the original NXT? And who will still be there at the end of the year. Ciampa, Dunne... I wouldn't classify guys like LA Knight or Cameron Grimes as old NXT really. I'd even be worried if I was Wade Barrett. Which brings me to...

-How do you look at a name like William Regal and not have any use for him on any of your shows? That was a kick in the face for any wrestling fans to let him go. I'm just trying to figure out if WWE is going to be sold so they really don't care where the talented people go, or if Vince just really hates the old NXT that much that he's erasing it completely.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:32 am
New Server, Same X

And since we're leaving the above surprise in spoilers... my thoughts on THAT revelation:

Spoiler: show
I honestly don't know what to think. Fans are generally not being self-aware enough to realize why WWE announced it. It's because of the buzz it created, especially when Pat McAfee actually said "Impact Knockouts Champion" on Smackdown. You don't get that buzz if it's a surprise and a one-off (99% it's a one-off).

I know WWE doesn't do anything unless it benefits them almost entirely, so I'm guessing that's why they did it. People thinking it's any kind of deal with Impact, outside of "borrowing" her (even though she doesn't appear to be under a full contract with Impact), is again why they announced it. Lots of buzz to ride to the Rumble.

That said, I don't want to minimize it either. It's pretty cool they got her for the Rumble and that they mentioned Impact on TV and Twitter. My guess is they have a lot of respect for Mickie James (especially after the disrespect she was shown after being released) and the deal was right since she's not a full-time Impact wrestler.

I have to assume she drops the title tonight. If not and she actually has it at the Rumble, that would be significant. But again... that won't benefit WWE so I'm sure it was part of the deal that she won't be champion, so any further Impact mentions will be either minimal or won't happen on WWE TV.

Part of me does wish Vince was a little more savvy and cutthroat. Would be amazing if, after AEW cut their partnership with Impact, Vince decided to partner up with Impact. Would never happen, but one can dream.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:38 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I didn't watch Smackdown, so didn't know they full-on announced it there too. No real need for spoilers, then. Watch there be a face-off between her and Charlotte, champ vs. champ, only to have Charlotte eliminate her in 3 seconds. (I don't hate Charlotte, only WWE's incredible reliance on her.)

I suppose it is just a means to generate buzz for the Rumble, and perhaps to draw some attention away from Vince gutting NXT more (Samoa Joe was also released...again, the day after the recent wave of releases).

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Mickie retained. Will she be wearing the title at the Rumble?

I know this isn't unprecedented but I don't believe WWE/F ever had a crossover with, say, WCW. I know if we're comparing, AEW would be the 2022 WCW to Vince, but Impact is still competition as well, and they just recently finished a partnership with AEW.

Part time contract or not with Impact, she's still associated with Impact so it's still cool.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Could go either way. The job of creating hype around her entry (as reigning champion) is done, so they don't have to let her go out with the title. But they really should.

I just hope they at least give her a respectable performance in the Rumble. Doesn't need to go 30-40 minutes or anything, or eliminate 10 others, just don't have her come out and get eliminate in 3 seconds, please.

Rampage was solid last night. A "Battle of the Belts" episode probably should have been set up more proper though. An event with only title matches is very cool, but they went half-in on this by excluding half the belts. I know it was only a 1-hour show, but something like this given 2-hours with all the belts on the line would be a popular theme.

Dustin/Sammy was very good. The Canadian-destroyer off the apron was great. Dustin is 52, but still performs very well. And Sammy, of course, is a strong current (and upcoming) talent. A little odd for them to not just say "Cody has COVID, so he'll be missing tonight's match" instead of "Cody isn't medically cleared to perform tonight". Sounds like a legit injury or something that way.

Although, I will say... AEW is a little table-happy! I guess they're the one foreign-object that doesn't count as a DQ? :funny: But now that I think about it, I can't really recall table spots ever resulting in a DQ in any promotion, so... fair game I suppose.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Funny I was wondering that during the Lucha Bros/Jurassic Express match. I thought "shouldn't the table cause a DQ?" Then I saw Rey Fenix's arm and forgot all about it.

I'm generally OK with their excessive use of certain things (blood in every single major championship match for one), although I hope it's not constant.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

I suspect it won't go anywhere but Impact's womens division has so many former WWE names that a crossover angle would be pretty cool.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:03 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Glad Alpha Academy won the tag titles last night. Chad Gable has been great for years, and Otis (while WWE sorta screwed his solo career up when he was really over) getting some love too.

I always thought they were thrown together randomly, probably even mentioned it here in the past, but not so! They go back over 10 years and best friends!:

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Funny enough, Gable's other tag team title win also came at the expense of a random Randy Orton project- when he was with the Wyatt Family. Nice to see him bounce back from losing his original partner and then being saddled with that awful Shorty G gimmick.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Good observation!

And I wonder how stuff like Shorty G even come about. Who suggests them, and who signs off on them? Easy, and maybe appropriate to assume Vince (at least in allowing it), but is he really coming up with these things too? Maybe Bruce, Dunn?

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Brody King, Archer, and close-call piledriver on Guevara, oh my!!! Guevara/Garcia was enjoyable, but also pretty nerve-racking! Having two young talents giving it their all in a main event is awesome, but they always seemed one wrong move away from injury. Especially the Garcia piledriver to Guevara (Garcia's legs were FAR too open).

Next week's Dynamite is packed!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Why do we have three matches at Royal Rumble featuring either entirely heel or partially heel wrestlers? Becky Lynch and Doudrop are booked as heels. Roman and Seth are heels. Lashley is a heel. Brock is a tweener at best, but I'm sure he'll be the heel going into Mania, unless they do the title unification match that's being rumored.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:19 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

WWE going full heel-mode, that's why. :mer:

This year's Rumble is pretty crap though. It's my favorite PPV, so I'll watch it for the rumbles. But Lashley, Rollins, and Doudrop are just being fed to the champions here. Seems especially predictable, doesn't it? Can't see them not going with Reigns/Lesnar (one *could* drop their title, but I feel that sort of *weakens* this matchup now if one does) and then Becky/RR Winner? at Mania. I agree with this decision, I suppose, but a surprise would still be nice to see.

A lot of people seem to be expecting Alexa to win the rumble and challenge Charlotte, which makes sense, but I don't know. I'd be good with this, it'd continue their feud and everything, but seems too "the fans want this, so let's not do this".

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I think they're just giving Brock and Roman the "toughest" opponents possible to build up their eventual Mania match. I also now think that Brock was gonna win the WWE title at Day One now matter what. They would have put him and Roman first, had it be a screwjob of some kind, then repeat the ending as it was. And, since Charlotte is randomly in the womens rumble despite already being champ, I think they are foreshadowing Brock winning as the WWE Champ and challenging Roman to the unification match.

Was thinking Sasha for women's at first, but she doesn't seem to have much going for her right now. I think they could build a whole story of Banks geting her first Wrestlemania win against anyone. Lita??? Therefore I'll predict Bianca repeats her Rumble win and challenges Becky in the Night One main event.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mustafa Ali is requesting his release. A shame for WWE and fans, as he's really talented. But I expect he'll do well anywhere he winds up.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

In case anyone was wondering, Veer Mahaan is still coming to Raw. Confirmed on Raw again tonight. I think tonight's video marked 3 full months (13 weeks, I believe), so he's on his way to matching Emmalina's 17 week debut back in 2016/2017.

If what I saw on twitter is true (...), then Brodus Clay holds the record for longest "coming to..." video promos at 24 weeks back in 2011-2012.

I swear this is some weird thing Vince gets off on every few years.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Moxley looked pretty healthy tonight. I doubt his troubles are completely over, but a healthier appearance is a good start.

Interesting promo by Cody tonight. I'm sure most of it was just a work, but maybe he threw in some real lines? Either way, I think it helped his current perceived role/character.

Did Sting dive from the ramp too early? It was a fine spot (certainly a big bump for the old timer), just a little unusual with Caster sort of just leaning against the table. The Acclaimed's Goth Phase music video was pretty funny. (And I chuckled when Bowens yelled "welcome to the black parade" at Darby before taking him out for half the match.)

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Seems appropriate Moxley would be the first person on TV to tell someone to go fuck themselves.

Speaking of, two name drops of "Mox" on Smackdown last night.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 235  Next