Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 5856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
The Kramer

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
I still liked the Punk match but agree with the arguments against it. Punk actually looked a lot like Randy Orton out there. It was weird to see him work the heel style while thousands of people were going bananas for everything he did. I thought they might go for a Rocky 4 ending where Darby ends up turning a hostile crowd to his side, but the match never got there. Would still give it like a B+ though.

Bryan’s debut was great though. They totally psyched us out, seemed to give us a consolation prize and then managed to rebuild the hype of his debut in about 30 seconds. The one thing I didn’t love is his theme song, but I’m guessing they’re working on getting the rights to his favorite 80s/90s alternative pop song. :hahaha:

Destination unknown! I’ve always liked Ruby (though less than Paige), but getting the song for her made it feel like a bigger deal. Like she was someone who mattered. She certainly never got anything like that on Raw.

Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:57 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

All-Out was very good. I've preferred AEW for most of this year. The only problem I have is it can lean too much into "fan booking." And as impressive as their roster is now becoming, I worry that 3 hours is a week is going to result in some being forgotten in the future. That's just speculation on my part right now, but I'd like to see Rampage become a 2 hour show in the future.

WWE has been a mess. RAW in particular is shit. I'm pretty confident in calling it the worse it's been since before the Attitude Era. SmackDown has remained strong, which makes one wonder why RAW has become what it has. Is it because SmackDown draws higher ratings? Is making sure their Fox show performs better than their USA show, in terms of profit, a factor?

And in general, they did not transition into the Pandemic Era well, and they haven't transitioned out of it well either. (If you consider us "out" of this era...) There are some very suspicious decisions over the past couple years, particularly over this last year, that makes it seem like the higher-ups have begun the process of getting out of the business. It's Vince's company, or no one's, basically. He's going to be handing it off to someone in a very bad position while he and those close to him collect the profits until then.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

So I just realized that Bryan Danielson has not really been a face so far in his debut, and it will be all so sweet when they reveal him as a monster heel (which I believe will happen very soon after the Kenny Omega match)

Danielson hinted at this in the media scrum last Sunday, where he said that unlike Punk wanting to help the young guys, Danielson wants to kick their heads in instead (like he brutally did to Brandon Cutler on Dynamite.). It’s very noticeable how different Punk and Danielson’s debuts have been, and going in opposite directions gives them completely different slate of opponents to face.

This will be really exciting since too me Bryan’s best persona in the past 9 years in WWE was as the cocky heel that had years of potential but was cut off prematurely, and now he gets to be at his best again,

Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Definitely excited to see where all the new signees go in AEW. Lots of potential great storylines and greater matches.

If the reports are to be believed, Vince apparently wanted Adam Cole to come to the main roster as Keith Lee's manager and mouthpiece. And a name change was apart of the new contract so he wouldn't get confused with Michael Cole. Umm... No wonder he left for AEW.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dynamite hit 1.32 million (681,000 / 0.53 demo) this week. Very impressive. The demo even beat RAW this week.

May go back down to around 1 million since it was likely boosted a good bit from viewers tuning in to see Bryan and Cole, and the All Out results, but if those who tuned in decide to stick around...

Again though, even if Dynamite catches RAW in viewership and ends up beating it consistently in the demo, I doubt WWE really changes anything. But it's nice to see AEW becoming more and more competitive. Competition usually helps everyone involved, but I doubt WWE is interested in improving.

The final episode of NXT as we know it drew 601,000 (84,000 / 0.14 demo)... I don't think that's a record low, but it's down there and real close.

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Why, oh why, did they turn Becky heel like this? Having her attacking the fans as commoners now? She had an amazing character going, but now?

Bianca is over with the fans, but her receptions lately have greatly overshadowed Becky's since she returned...

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I have a lot to say about AEW this week, but just finished Smackdown and found out that Zelina Vega, whose father died in 9/11, had her tag match cut last night due to time. I don't care if it was going to be 30 seconds, why would a company be so completely oblivious to something like that and not consider she may want to perform in New York?

More reason to know that WWE doesn't care about anyone they employ. Which makes it all the more hilarious to see guys like Seth Rollins toe the company line on Twitter. Ask Braun Strowman what it means to be a good company boy.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, she had a new outfit/cosplay ready and everything, seemingly waiting to go out from the pictures she and others have tweeted. Squeezing in a 3-5 minute tag match wouldn't have been difficult. The show technically ended 2 minutes early this week too.

I guess she came back after being released for the money, but hopefully she gets in a comfortable enough position in this contract to leave them in the future. I don't know if she's won a single match since returning when she does get air time. It's possible WWE resigned her thinking it'd give them leverage in keeping Black, thought wrong, and are just jobbing her out in random matches or cutting them whenever until they decide to release her again/her contract expires.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Corpse wrote:
All-Out was very good. I've preferred AEW for most of this year. The only problem I have is it can lean too much into "fan booking." And as impressive as their roster is now becoming, I worry that 3 hours is a week is going to result in some being forgotten in the future. That's just speculation on my part right now, but I'd like to see Rampage become a 2 hour show in the future.

Isn't that what Dark and Dark Elevation are for? I see it pop up on Youtube all the time with a bunch of matches every week. I assume that's where a ton of the win-loss records come from. I don't have the time for it but I'm glad it exists.

As for "fan booking", I felt the same before but I think that's a result of buying into what WWE sells all these years. I am so accustomed to WWE's way of things. "Wait for the payoff"... "just when the audience predicts where it will go, we will swerve them for no reason at all"... "let's put these guys together for eight weeks of nonstop rematches and call it long term booking"... I'm burnt out on it now. I never watched WCW, barely tried TNA/Impact and didn't see any of the other smaller companies like ROH. But my fatigue with WWE and my renewed love of watching wrestling through AEW is pushing me closer and closer to the point where I just stop watching WWE for a while.

This week also marks the turning point in NXT, where Vince and Bruce Pritchard are supposedly taking over the decisions. I'm sure the process will be slow at first, but there will come a point where that will suck now too.

I'm honestly struggling to think of anything positive right now in WWE. I am not into this iteration of Becky Lynch. I am glad they made the leap and are making her a heel. But she's dressing like Seth Rollins. She needs to lean more into how the fans turned on her for doing the same shtick as before and getting booed now instead. Don't do the "you people" thing. But some disappointment that they chanted for her for months only to turn on her when she came back.

What else works? Yeah the roles are reversed now with Roman and Brock, but... it's going to be the same song and dance. Plus Brock as a pure face without Paul Heyman didn't work in 2003. And they're going to feed The Demon Finn Balor to Roman at Extreme Rules. Why build the Brock feud when they aren't even doing that match yet, possibly until Survivor Series? Or more likely Crown Jewel.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am
New Server, Same X

Alex Y. wrote:
Cm punk and Bryan danielson did not live up to their high expectations. Punk lost a big step, moving much slower than Christian or Jericho, and was totally carried by Allin in their match. Danielson’s debut felt flat compared to Cole’s excellent debut, when it should’ve been closer to Punk’s mind blowing debut.

Definitely agree on both points, as much as it pains me. But I can kind of forgive Punk. Almost 8 years away from wrestling, first match back, hometown crowd, immense expectations. I didn't really think it would blow the roof off the place. It did its job.

But yes, after Adam Cole's debut and subsequent turn, it almost felt rushed to bring out Bryan Danielson, but they couldn't end on the immediate heel turn either.

Overall, All Out was excellent. I cannot think of a WWE PPV where I was into just about every match (as per usual, Paul Wight matches are take it or leave it). The steel cage tag team match was unreal. Loved Miro and Kingston together. Moxley with these veteran NJPW guys are neat ideas, although I have no knowledge of New Japan. Loved seeing Ruby Soho living up to every expectation.

AEW is at a turning point right now. Outside of Bray Wyatt, I'm not sure there is anyone else they should be actively pursuing right now. I definitely don't want them to become the place where disgruntled WWE stars go. I want it to be where the forgotten men and women go to become stars. And they're doing that right now with Miro, Ruby, Malakai Black. One criticism as far as signings go is Christian Cage. I like Christian, but I can take or leave him right now as a star in AEW.

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:29 am
The Kramer

Looks like Orton, or Big E or both will be winning the title tonight. I’m sure that has nothing to do with Dynamite’s ratings though.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:34 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'm going predict it'll just wind up with Lashley winning in some way. But the Draft being announced tonight and beginning in 3 weeks might change things. Thank God the draft is coming up though. RAW is in desperate need of some changes. It needs more than just a roster shake-up, obviously, but hopefully it's the beginning of the company improving it. (....)

I can see Orton winning tonight, but not Big E cashing in and winning. Orton going into the Draft as champ over Big E seems more...WWE? And if they're ever going to do the Cena/Orton final match story to break Flair's title record, they better hurry it up.

I don't know. I'm going to watch the last half hour of RAW tonight to see what happens. (Good job, WWE! Got me watching an episode I was going to skip all together after two atrocious shows.)

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I just missed this live:

Nikki wins the match in a 3 count by the ref (though Tamina actually kicked out right before the 3), but Tamina's music plays and the announcers declare Tamina the winner after saying Nikki got it (right after the video here cuts off). :wacko:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Also, what in the world happened with Goldberg?! There was that promo at his home (or somewhere) after SummerSlam where he said he was going to come after Lashley for hurting his son, and... crickets. We haven't heard or seen of him since then and the draft is in 3 weeks.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Goldberg can only avenge his son in Saudi Arabia.

Big E cashes in … and we go to a commercial??

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 pm
The Kramer

Cool moment for Big E though!

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Color me surprised! Incredibly anticlimactic, but happy for Big E either way. (Hopefully he doesn't drop it immediately after the draft.)

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Samoa Joe got injured (again!) and had to relinquish the NXT title, so it's up for grabs in a four-way title in the first episode of Vince & Bruce presents: NXT 2.0.

Joe is prone to injury, and I give speculation and rumors time to either run their course or become factual, but this one is a little suspect given Joe was released by WWE and then HHH resigned him to NXT. Just learned that HHH actually has (had?) this power in NXT.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Reigns and Lesnar is going on Crown Jewel...

They could still be booked to have a legit feud that lasts at least a few months, but this probably suggests it'll be over when Reigns wins at CJ, and Lesnar is just back to get that paycheck and Peacock/WWE more of that Saudi money.

Also...couldn't they have revealed this AFTER Extreme Rules? :lol: We know Balor is losing, but promoting Reigns as defending his title against Lesnar at Crown Jewel is still annoying. Not to say Reigns shouldn't win against Balor, he should I think, it just dampens what could have been a good feud that is likely to end with yet another missed opportunity to push Balor (and an awful way to bring back The Demon after SO LONG).

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Reading these accounts and watching some of the clips from the latest Dark Side of the Ring episode about the "Plane Ride from Hell" (2002)... I'll have to watch it myself, but wow.

This is probably it for Ric Flair. Probably should have been over for him long ago, but this docuseries episode is probably the last straw. I'd be surprised if Scott Hall makes another appearance after this. WWE will probably try to ignore dealing with Lesnar until after Crown Jewel ($$$), but hopefully this means that any actual return that may have been planned has been shelved forever.

AEW, I assume, will do something to get Dustin Runnels off TV. Don't know if they'll suspend/fire him, but... something should happen.

IMPACT has already suspended Tommy Dreamer indefinitely in less than 24 hours since it aired.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Tommy Dreamer proving you can have a successful career in wrestling after ECW and still piss it all away by spouting your neanderthal nonsense.

I'm actually embarrassed to say I didn't know about the plane ride from hell. I had heard the term a few times but in relation to Flair, I thought it had to do with the plane crash from the 70s he was in. I had just started watching WWE again a month or two before that and I remember Scott Hall and Curt Hennig getting canned by WWE but legit I had no idea it was for this entire incident.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I heard about it forever ago, but only remembered that they basically treated the plane like a hotel room. Wasn't aware of all the sexual assault that occurred on the ride until last week.

In better news in the wrestling world, which looks like more sad events will be revealed in time..., this happened today!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

CM Punk introduced Cult of Personality at Riotfest. And Darby Allin was in the Rancid pit. :funny:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Would have enjoyed being in that pit.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Omega and Bryan kicking off Dynamite tonight! Fans going crazy in the arena.

The entire card tonight is easily PPV caliber.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 235  Next