Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 The Football thread 
now we know

Post Re: The Football thread
Liverpool are in serious danger. After drawing with Brighton 3-3, their next two games are against Arsenal and Man City. They'll be lucky to get a single point.

Man Utd, on the other hand, despite just losing 6-3 to Man City, have Everton next in the league, and in the Europa League they face Omonia twice. This is a golden opportunity to bounce back from a heavy defeat. The 6-3 loss isn't even that serious, in my opinion. The players just need to frame it as "well, we grabbed three goals against the best team in Europe". They showed fight, which is more than they did against Brentford at the start of the season. So there are lots of positives. Martial came back from injury and scored two goals (superb penalty, too). Antony got his second for the season.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Did we really once have a 35 page soccer thread?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:36 pm
now we know

I know, lol. I was surprised to find it. I'm glad, though, as I like to get my thoughts out on football.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Glad to see Arsenal having a good start to the year.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:22 pm
now we know

Ajax are such a Europa League team. Napoli are good but you cannot lose 6-1 at home. It's weird because I thought they were excellent last season.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Liverpool (and in particular, Trent Alexander-Arnold) are somehow using their win against Rangers as a flex. Rangers would be a Championship team if in English football. And it still stands that Trent Alexander-Arnold cannot defend. He just doesn't know what he's doing. They should change his position. Right wingers can still take free-kicks. Bale changed and his career blossomed.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:17 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I'm glad Juventus won last night against Maccabi Haifa, and PSG drew with Benfica in Portugal. In the reverse fixtures next week I expect PSG to be the winners, though I hope they slip up.

Nothing much happened last night, though. Haaland is still a fucking wizard in front of goal, and Real Madrid keep winning. I can't see a way that Manchester City doesn't get to the final this year.

Anyway, Man Utd tonight against Cypriot champions Omonia Nicosia in the Europa League. Hopefully they score a shedload of goals after that heavy Man City defeat. It would be nice for Ronaldo to bag a few, too, to get his season up and running.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I don't care how they did it, but Man Utd won in Cyprus. Phew. Squads are there to be used, and they brought on the subs that mattered. Erik ten Hag is such a great manager, imo. His ability to start well or spot frailties and change it up early for the win is impressive. It's what we lacked under Solskjaer and Rangnick, who mostly sat there not knowing what to do when it got bad. Anyway, still will need to beat Nicosia at home, then we'll need to beat Sociedad if we want to avoid playing a Champions League reject to progress. But the win was needed. It's an important bounce-back from the derby defeat.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So the Premier League is more open after that Liverpool win over Man City. I really hope Arsenal win the league, but it's still a tall order given how dominant Man City are. Liverpool won't contend. This win might give them a boost of confidence but I don't see them automatically playing like last year because of one win.

Frustratingly, Man Utd could only draw against Newcastle. They had so many chances but couldn't put one away. It's a shame because next up is Tottenham then Chelsea in the space of four days. I know that Rashford was apparently "under the weather" but he should have started (he came on in the second half and was the best player). Ronaldo doesn't have the legs anymore to start.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Football is funny game. On the only weekend that Haaland doesn't play, Tottenham score three goals and not one is scored by Kane!

And Liverpool got beaten by Leeds, lol

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I see that Qatar banned alcohol sales at their stadiums. :funny:

Well I hope the check that Fifa got from them is worth all the shit they've got in return ... What am I'm saying - of course it was worth it! And that's really all that matters right?

Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:38 pm
now we know

It's going to be a very odd World Cup. It doesn't feel like a World Cup in the slightest.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Can they stop holding these international events in such countries already? If violating human rights is a part of one's "culture", then it doesn't deserve respect, much less given recognition and awarding them. FIFA is just as bad here.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I think the world has woken up to this already. It's just that planning for big sporting events takes place a decade in advance. In the last few years Russia, China, and now Qatar have held big sporting events. But this won't happen again, I believe.

This World Cup has received such negative attention that I think an event will never be held in such a location again. The 2026 World Cup will be in the U.S./Canada/Mexico, the 2024 Summer Olympics will be in France, and the 2026 Winter Olympics will be in Italy. So, let the good times roll. And I can't see bids by authoritarian countries being accepted for future global sporting events. The press is just too bad for them, and the sponsors don't need the hassle either.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The pick was obviously really weird and screams bribery

Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

Japan beats Germany
Costa Rica loses to Spain 7-0
Costa Rica beats Japan

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:39 pm

Big time tie by Germany today to stay alive, but it is looking pretty bad for them

Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:23 pm
now we know

They should beat Costa Rica, you'd think. So they'll be on 4 points. I can't see Japan beating Spain unless Spain plays for a draw (to spite Germany) then Japan might be able to get something and knock out Germany. The permutations are going to decide this one.

What I'd like to see is Japan and Germany go through, which is still possible however unlikely.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:41 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Is Argentina safe to make it to knockout stage?? I'm rooting for Messi to get his first WC before he retires.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:39 am
The Kramer

I feel like a big European country always beats either a small European country or a South American country in the finals. That's really all I know about soccer, so I predict that Espagne wins over Portugal or Brazil, depending on how the brackets match up.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:05 pm
now we know

Rev wrote:
Is Argentina safe to make it to knockout stage?? I'm rooting for Messi to get his first WC before he retires.

Not safe yet. But it's in their hands.

If they beat Poland, then they're through. But if they draw/lose against Poland, then Saudi Arabia can finish ahead of them and progress to the Round of 16 if they beat Mexico. Mexico could also finish ahead of Argentina if Messi and co. lose to Poland and Mexico win against the Saudis.

The order for determining group tiebreakers is points, then goal difference, then goals scored, then head-to-head record. If they're still, by some miracle, equal, then it goes down to fair play record and they start counting up yellow and red cards, lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
Rev wrote:

Not safe yet. But it's in their hands.

If they beat Poland, then they're through. But if they draw/lose against Poland, then Saudi Arabia can finish ahead of them and progress to the Round of 16 if they beat Mexico. Mexico could also finish ahead of Argentina if Messi and co. lose to Poland and Mexico win against the Saudis.

The order for determining group tiebreakers is points, then goal difference, then goals scored, then head-to-head record. If they're still, by some miracle, equal, then it goes down to fair play record and they start counting up yellow and red cards, lol.

WOW! :blink:

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 am
Devil's Advocate

Nice save by Argentina goalie

Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:13 pm
now we know

Perisic's header in the Croatia-Japan game is my favourite of the tournament, and there have been some great goals. Vinicius Jr's against South Korea, Depay's against the USA, Rashford's free-kick, and then Asano's tight one against Germany. Too many to mention, but those stand out.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It was fun to cheer against Neymar.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next