Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Saint Maud 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Saint Maud 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Saint Maud
Quote:
Saint Maud is a 2019 British psychological horror film written and directed by Rose Glass in her feature directorial debut. The story follows hospice nurse Maud (portrayed by Morfydd Clark), a recent convert to Roman Catholicism, who becomes obsessed with a former dancer in her care (Jennifer Ehle), believing she must save her soul.

Saint Maud had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on 8 September 2019, and was released in the United Kingdom on 9 October 2020 by StudioCanal UK. The film received widespread acclaim from critics, praising its directing, atmosphere, performances, and score.

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:04 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Saint Maud
This was an ambitious movie with great score, brilliant performance from Morfydd Clark and an eerie atmospher but underneath all this there is no substance that brings down the movie.

I understand why people and critics are loving this but I couldn't with Maud even though her descent to madness it believable the outcome isn't and the payoff didn't work for me. Morfydd Clark and Rose Glass are both on their A-game specially impressed with Glass' direction here and would be a director to check out in future. The screenplay from Glass didn't connect with me as much.

B-

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:08 am
Star Trek XI

Jack Sparrow wrote:
This was an ambitious movie with great score, brilliant performance from Morfydd Clark and an eerie atmospher but underneath all this there is no substance that brings down the movie.

I understand why people and critics are loving this but I couldn't with Maud even though her descent to madness it believable the outcome isn't and the payoff didn't work for me. Morfydd Clark and Rose Glass are both on their A-game specially impressed with Glass' direction here and would be a director to check out in future. The screenplay from Glass didn't connect with me as much.

B-

Interesting, excited to check it out still when it comes to streaming in the States. Someone said on AW that it isn’t horror at all but I’ve heard otherwise so I’m excited after all these pushbacks to see

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 am
Forum General

The solid perfomances, creepy atmoesphere and score aswell the impressive direction really elevated this IMO, but I also found the central character Maud to be very hard to connect with.

The actress does a great job making her descent into madness feel very believable, but at the end of the day I can't say they gave me a reason to care about her character at all, especially when you never really find out anything about her.

On a technical level its solid, but Jack Sparrow pretty much nailed it in his review of why this movie is definitely more style over substance and it makes complete sense why critics would eat it up.

B-

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:03 am
Star Trek XI

Finally got to watch this and really liked it! Honestly a bit overhyped but the two main actresses are phenomenal especially Clark who deserves to be a HUGE star! I wish there had been more horror in it but it was still very unsettling and extremely atmospheric. The final twenty minutes are insane and that last shot is one of the most memorable and EXTREMELY unsettling in recent memory. Should not have finished watching this at almost 4 A.M. :funny:

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:40 pm
Star Trek XI

Also,
Spoiler: show
Maud picking at the burn/scab on her hand was :whaa: :whaa: .
I had to turn away and I don't bother easily, that was almost worse than the pins scene in the trailer although the trailer showing that part definitely lessend it as I was already skeeved out when I saw it before lol

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:43 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was great. Very unsettling with great performances and a phenomenal score. A-

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:23 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

I really wish I hadn’t watched this movie. I didn’t paying the $1 for two months of Epix, but it was definitely wasn’t worth the five minutes it took to set up my account.

I know that it was kind of the point, but spending this much time with a religious looney was torture. Being forced to put up with this for 80 minutes was too much. The shoes were a terrible image I’ll never get out of my head, but Katie interfering in her bosses love life in order to “save her soul” was just as disgusting to me. And though the final shot of the movie brings us back to reality, the movie still let her believe the final moments of her life (including a murder) were glorious and all part of a greater purpose. Yuck.

The score was good, but not good enough. D

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm
Wallflower

Off topic but while you have Epix I totally recommend watching Spontaneous.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]