Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Prom 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Prom 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Prom
Quote:
The Prom is a 2020 American musical comedy film directed by Ryan Murphy and adapted to the screen by Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin, from their and Matthew Sklar's 2018 Broadway musical of the same name. The film stars Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Keegan-Michael Key, Andrew Rannells, Ariana DeBose, Kerry Washington, and Jo Ellen Pellman.

The Prom was released in a limited release on December 4, 2020, prior to digital streaming on Netflix on December 11, 2020.

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:26 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Prom
This was an absolute delight. It's a total campfest and doesn't work at all for the first half hour but it's one of those movies that just has such a warm, infectious energy that it wins you over by the end. The entire cast is fantastic. Standouts are definitely Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Keegan Michael-Key and Andrew Rannels. Jo Ellen Perlman is a charming protagonist. And James Corden whom I usually hate is not bad at all here. It's gorgeously shot and the production value is amazing. I was grinning from ear to ear by the end. A spiritual successor to Hairspray and sure to be a sensation this holiday season. A-

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:33 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched this again tonight. I'm actually going to be a major defender of Corden's performance - he's quite good here and I don't really understand where all the outrage surrounding his performance is coming from.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:50 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its fun, shot very well and runs at a great pace with energetic songs. The problem lies with the execution of harder stuffs. There is way too much happening and way too soon that it actually forgets to bring the innocence and troubles of college life. The entire cast is fantastic, Streep looks amazing here, Corden does very well but his story in undercooked and overcooked at the same time, Nicole Kidman doesn't get a more explored backstory but she came out the best of the lot, Jo Ellen Perlman was decent but I never really believed in her troubles. The rest of the supporting cast is decent but have nothing much to do here.

Murphy is problem here, he can deliver greatly shot energetic songs but when it comes to emotions and serious stuffs he goes the most boring and predictable route. The biggest example being the first prom and how the reveal was treated. Murphy also does not know how to allow things to breathe because his experience comes from TV so he is unable to put so many things in such short time, the movie definitely needed to edit a song or two (or make all of them shorted) to deliver the core of the movie.

Its not bad but its McDonald's of the movie that you can easily find over on small screen (though I guess releasing it on Netflix makes the most sense ;) )

B

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

thompsoncory wrote:
I watched this again tonight. I'm actually going to be a major defender of Corden's performance - he's quite good here and I don't really understand where all the outrage surrounding his performance is coming from.

I can understand the complaints with Corden's story which a lot of people will then pin to Corden himself. The execution represents him as the most stereotypical gay actors we see on screen (as you can read in my review its Murphy's fault, he does not know how to write/direct a layered gay character). I don't think a lot of regular people understand when the fault is at writer or director's level so they inherently pin it on the actor who plays the character on screen.

Corden is also not comparatively exceptional here (even though he is better than his past roles) to bring enough levity and distinguish his character from others. It also does not help that the main arc is exploring the same themes (thus given more focus), plus there are very well known actors/actress that over-shine him at every other scene.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 am
Wallflower

It's a cute movie. Meryl is great though honestly I enjoyed watching Kidman the most of the main three stars of the film. She definitely doesn't have as much to do but I think it was just really nice seeing her in a fun role. Jo Ellen Pellman was really good and adorable. Corden was not as bad as I expected. His character is stereotypical but not as over-the-top as I'd been hearing. I would have preferred almost anyone else in the role but he's decent. Surely they could have cast someone better. I didn't find him that good in the more serious scenes. Especially his breakdown in the hotel with Streep. I just didn't buy it.

Anyway it's a little overlong but I had a really good time. I feel like it would have worked a little better for me on the big screen despite having a bit of a small screen feel. No doubt due to Murphy's involvement. It really does feel like a long episode of Glee. Regardless I think musicals are better in a theater and this is no exception.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]