Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hillbilly Elegy 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Hillbilly Elegy 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Hillbilly Elegy
Quote:
Hillbilly Elegy is a 2020 American drama film directed by Ron Howard, from a screenplay by Vanessa Taylor, based on the 2016 memoir of the same name by J. D. Vance. The film stars Amy Adams, Glenn Close, Gabriel Basso, Haley Bennett, Freida Pinto, Bo Hopkins, and Owen Asztalos, and follows a Yale law student who must return to his poor family in Ohio after a family emergency.

After buying the rights to Vance's book in 2017, Imagine announced Howard as the film's director. Netflix acquired the distribution rights in January 2019, and much of the cast joined that April. Filming took place from June through August in Georgia and Ohio.

Hillbilly Elegy was released in select theaters in the United States on November 11, 2020, then digitally on Netflix on November 24. The film was negatively received by reviewers; it was criticized for its screenplay and storytelling, though the performances of the cast received some praise.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Hillbilly Elegy
I didn't think this was a bad film, but with Ron Howard directing and this talented of a cast it definitely could have been better. I was really enjoying the first half of it, but once you get more into the story and figure out that its pretty much not going anywhere it gets very tedious and more than repetitive IMO.

I was just ready for it to end honestly, but the scenes with Glenn Close alone make it worth watching and Amy Adams is good in too, but damn are a lot of her scenes over the top and melodramatic at times. The performances are solid for the most part though, but I wouldn't be surprised if most people found it hard to root for any of the characters.

C+

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's Oscar bait to the max but has its moments. Amy Adams and Glenn Close had some nice grounded scenes but also some equally over the top and ridiculous ones. Definitely needed a better director in order to be as effective as it was aiming to be. C+

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:38 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I loved Amy Adams in this and Glenn Close was equally good but not as awards worthy performance as Adams. Venessa Taylor thinks the story is too emotional than it really is and Ron Howard does not bring anything special from directorial standards, shying away from confrontations, brutality of drug usage and bringing out the dread from his supporting characters. The end was the most disappointing for me, it needed to be much more powerful than it does, I thought the middle act was much more powerful than the ending twist/reveal.

C+

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]