Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Dark and the Wicked 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Dark and the Wicked 
Keeping it Light

Post The Dark and the Wicked

Quote:
The Dark and the Wicked is a 2020 American horror film written and directed by Bryan Bertino. It stars Marin Ireland, Michael Abbott Jr. and Xander Berkeley.

The film had its world premiere at the Fantasia International Film Festival on August 28, 2020. It was released on November 6, 2020, by RLJE Films.

Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Dark and the Wicked
I enjoyed The House more than this, but damn this might have some of the scariest/creepiest scenes to come out of any horror film this year. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm hyping it up or anything, but this was everything Hereditary wasn't IMO. Bryan Bertino is just a master craftsman when it comes to creating a dark, unsettling atmosphere as well as utilizing isolated locations and sound design to which this film is no different.

The first 5 minutes of this movie set the tone perfectly and might honestly be the scariest parts of the movie for me even though there's some more great scares to come in the second half of the movie too.

The only thing I found to be kind of lacking in this where the characters even if I thought the performances were really solid I can't say that I really cared for anyone. Marin Ireland and Michael Abbot Jr. carry the film well enough though, but Xander Berkeley as the priest was easily my favorite character in the movie, because he was so fucking creepy in his scenes and I was hoping he would be in it more to be honest.

B

Last edited by Dil on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was scary as fuck. Bone-chilling. A

Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:01 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
This was scary as fuck. Bone-chilling. A

You've honestly made me scared to watch it. I still want to but am probably going to wait to watch it with someone.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:39 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was amazing for the setup and thrills and towards the second half the build up of the scares are some of the most inventive things. There is always a sense of caution in every scene if its real or another trick is coming to play and I loved the fact. The scares in itself became too predictable (a voice from straight ahead, actor heads towards the noice, sees/hears something sinister, then sees/hears the same person from side) but as I mentioned the setup before the scares makes this movie. Acting is great the Haunted house setting is great but it never goes beyond that as well. Still for just the scary scenes this movie is really effective possibly the most scariest movie I have seen this season.

B+

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The sound of chopping vegetables has never been more unnerving.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:07 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I didn't realize Bryan Bertino was the director of The Strangers until after watching it but it's not a huge surprise. For "The Dark and the Wicked" he basically took the slow build-up he utilized in the beginning of that film and stretched it out over an entire film.

While I really enjoyed The Strangers I was pretty underwhelmed by this one. There are some creepy moments and it has a decent atmosphere but man is it a slow burn. I found it difficult to get all that engrossed in it. It's mostly well-made but unlike great moody arthouse horror films like Hereditary this is lacking the substance needed to make it great. It's just kind of empty. The ending is also a little too abrupt.

There's plenty to like here but it wasn't enough for me.

6/10 (C+)

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]