Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Possessor 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Possessor 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Possessor
Quote:
Possessor is a 2020 science fiction horror film[3] written and directed by Brandon Cronenberg. An international co-production of the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada, the film stars Andrea Riseborough, Christopher Abbott, Rossif Sutherland, Tuppence Middleton, Sean Bean, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2020. It is scheduled to be released in the United States and Canada on October 2, 2020, by Neon and Elevation Pictures. The film has been critically acclaimed, particularly for its originality and the performances from Riseborough, Abbott, Leigh, and Graham.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:22 am
Forum General

Post Re: Possessor
A dark, stylish and sometimes really disturbing piece of sci-fi horror. I didn't love it, but between this and Antiviral I definitely think Brandon Cronenberg has potential to become the next great horror director like his father. Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan of Antiviral, but this was a significant step up in quality from that film.

Solid performances all around the concept/premise kept me engaged throughout. It's also a very violent film at times when it comes to the gore which they don't shy away from at all, but that made feel even more like retro 80's film IMO.

B

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A bit of a slow burn, but visually it is pretty amazing and when it gets violent it really goes there. Both Andrea Risebourough and Christopher Abbott were great too. I have to sit on this for a bit to collect my thoughts but it's definitely worth checking out.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:15 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Visually amazing and the concept is handled really well but it fails to present an impactful end but overall this was a thrill ride. Christopher Abbott is great in here so is Andrea Riseborough. The supporting cast is all good as well but none of them stand-out other than Graham in her ultra gory first scene. It gets really violent during the kills which I loved and Brandon Cronenberg keeps things interesting while maintaining the inner conflict very well.

B+

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 am
Wallflower

Cool premise, disappointing execution. As much as I love some good gore it honestly felt forced. There are some nice effects and a great score. It is well-made overall. Just found the story pretty difficult to get invested in except for sporadically.

C

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:11 am
Keeping it Light

I'm quite impressed with it, it's gruesome and intriguing on several levels and it got me pretty hooked. The acting is good, while Riseborough and Abbott consume most of the screen, I found Leigh the best in a supporting role, but the film really stands out through the story and the effects, it's shot really well too, not shying away from any bit of nudity or violence and it grips in a perverse way. It's probably not a film I'd feel like rewatching again soon, but quite a fan of it and look forward to see what David Cronenberg does next.

B+

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]