Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Oliver and Company 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Oliver and Company 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Oliver and Company
Quote:
Oliver & Company is a 1988 American animated musical film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released on November 18, 1988, by Walt Disney Pictures. The 27th Disney animated feature film, the film is based on the classic 1838 Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist, which has been adapted many other times for the screen. In the film, Oliver is a homeless kitten who joins a gang of dogs to survive in the streets. Among other changes, the setting of the film was relocated from 19th century London to modern-day New York City, Fagin's gang is made up of dogs (one of which is Dodger), and Sykes is a loan shark.

Following the release of The Black Cauldron, Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg held a pitch meeting with the animation staff, in which story artist Pete Young pitched the idea to adapt Oliver Twist with dogs. The pitch was quickly approved, and the film quickly went into production under the working title Oliver and the Dodger. Released on the same day as The Land Before Time, Oliver & Company was a box office success, but it received mixed reviews from film critics. The film was re-released in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom on March 29, 1996. It was then released on home video later that same year, and again in 2002 and 2009 on DVD. The film was released on Blu-ray Disc in 2013, commemorating its 25th Anniversary

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: Oliver and Company
Easily the most 80’s and subsequently dated of all of Disney’s features. Like, the music is the most obnoxious 80’s pop sound you’ll ever hear. The animation is ok, but the color scheme is too bright and cartoony. The story is not bad, but I think Disney would have done better to adapt Oliver Twist with humans in the original era.

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Oliver and Company
I enjoyed this! It's not a top-tier Disney film, but there's a lot of fun to be had with the gang. Getting Huey Lewis to write the songs was a win for me, especially on Why Should I Care?. Yeah Huey Lewis has the corniest of corny 80S songs, but again, it's always fun to spend a few minutes with him and the news. I also really liked how much of a New York movie this was. They set alot of movies in NY, most recently The Rescuers, but this felt like a lived-in experience of New York, not just a place where important things happen. I haven't been able to visit my favorite city for over a year, so getting this unexpected taste of it was even better than free hot dogs (don't buy hot dogs from street vendors btw. Grey Papaya's only.) The villain is also rather menacing, though it would have been funnier if the loan shark was an actual shark. I think they could have pulled that off here. Sure the Puerto Rican dog is a little problematic by today's standards, Fagin is a pathetic character and the story itself isn't that exciting until the end ... But it wasn't enough to bring it down and take away the fun.

B+

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]