Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Scoob! 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Scoob! 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Scoob!
Quote:
Scoob! is a 2020 American computer-animated mystery comedy film produced by Warner Animation Group and based on the Scooby-Doo franchise. The film is directed by Tony Cervone from a screenplay by Adam Sztykiel, Jack Donaldson, Derek Elliott, and Matt Lieberman, and a story by Lieberman, Eyal Podell, and Jonathon E. Stewart. It stars the voices of Frank Welker as the title character (the only member of the original cast to reprise their role), as well as Will Forte, Gina Rodriguez, Zac Efron, and Amanda Seyfried as the gang, with Mark Wahlberg, Jason Isaacs, Kiersey Clemons, Ken Jeong and Tracy Morgan as other Hanna-Barbera animated characters. It is a reboot of the Scooby-Doo film series, and is intended to be the first installment in a series of films set within a Hanna-Barbera shared cinematic universe.

Plans for a new Scooby-Doo film began in June 2014, when Warner Bros. announced that they would reboot the Scooby-Doo film series with an animated film. Cervone were initially hired to direct the film in August 2015, with Dax Shepard being brought to co-direct it in September 2016. By October 2018, Shepard was no longer a part of the project. Much of the cast were hired in March 2019. Animation services were provided by Reel FX Animation Studios.

Scoob! was released digitally via video on demand on May 15, 2020. It was initially set to play in theaters on the same date, but the theatrical release was canceled in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film received mixed reviews from critics.

Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Scoob!
The first 10-15 minutes of Scoob are nearly perfect. They hit all the feels and I wish they had just kept them as kids the entire movie.

The second act of the movie may as well be called Gruby-Doo with how much they borrow from the Despicable Me franchise. Dick Dastardly even has an army of cute/deadly minions that he sets loose on the gang whenever the script calls for an action sequence (which is very often.) It also strangely becomes like Tom Cruise's Mummy for a little while, the location of one of the macguffins being used to set up the Hannah Barbara Cinematic Universe. The worst offenses are the pop culture references though, which almost always fall flat. The Simon Cowell bit especially just kills all the good will and strong momentum the prelude set up.

It comes around again in the third act though. Dastardly reveals his true goal is to rescue Muttley (my second favorite talking dog) from hell which is adorably devious and the movie once again focuses on the relationship between man and dog. It goes Pixar again, attacking your emotions and maybe we can forget about all that unfortunate nonsense I wrote about in the second paragraph.

The end credits are a lot of fun too. I'm here for a Jabberjaw movie. And more Muttley please.

Sat May 16, 2020 2:38 pm
Extraordinary

The beginning was solid. The rest I felt was meh. Velma, Daphne and Fred had literally no memorable scenes.

Sun May 17, 2020 1:39 am
---------

Kinda ballsy of them to have the focus of the movie not be on the gang. It was weird. I too am a big fan of Muttley, so that helped redeem the movie for me.

Sun May 17, 2020 1:52 am
Forum General

I thought it was ok at best. I really enjoyed the animation and the voice acting is pretty solid, but man were all the pop culture references annoying in this and trust me when I say that there's a lot of them. I mean I admittedly chuckled at some stuff, but most of it fell flat for me. Also, while it was kind of cool seeing the other Hannah Barbara characters in this I wish this movie actually focused more on Scooby-Doo and the gang. This really did feel more like the Hannah Barbara Cinematic Universe and if it was called that instead of Scoob it would have made a lot more sense and it also proves my point that Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island is still the best Scooby-Doo movie period IMO whether it be live action or animated.

C+

Sun May 17, 2020 2:29 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It starts well but then completely misses the point of being a Scooby movie. There is no mystery or fun. The over-the-top antics of Shaggy and Scooby are missing (they do it once I presume). Meh missed opportunity.

Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Beginning was solid.
Middle was poor.
Ending was solid.

A C, but just barely. I think they should have just thrown out the entire Blue Falcon/Dynomutt stuff and put the gang TOGETHER instead in trying to solve the mystery of Dastardly and his plans.

Also felt unnecessary to go with celebrities taking over the voice roles of the actual voice-actors from the show. I understand it from a marketing perspective and all (although I don't believe having a celeb name attached to an animated character matters these days, and hasn't for a long time), but the cartoon's cast has been voicing them for a long time now and are clearly better at it. And I think fans would have been more appreciative of keeping them too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]